Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

g1983d wrote: »
    If F1 as it is dies then I can see it being FE where the manufacturers and drivers after money go and a classic F1 with v12s where the racers go

Maybe. It wouldn’t last long without development and development costs money. So no money= no future. Man can’t live on V12 engine noise alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

AMKC wrote: »
    Well Porsche and Lamborghini are both owned by VW so that is not going to happen anytime soon as diesel-gate but on end to that and VW's plans to join F1. Which was a pity.
    Aston Martin are too small. Ford and BMW said they have no interest in it the way it is.
    Toyota have been in F1 before and failed but maybe they could come back.

Maybe Toyota could come back to F1 again and do better this time.

VW will stay in Formula E under the Audi brand. They will re-enter WEC to be the first to win LeMans with an all electric car. They already reckon their electric car sales will rival Tesla by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The manufacturers wanted certain conditions for them to agree to take part. It has to be future technology focused because they want to use f1 for R&D while getting to advertise to offset the cost.

The smaller teams alto want a budget cap of 150m dollars as all except the top 3 spend less than the proposed budget already.

The competing drives in f1 mean that a couple of teams pulled out recently such as Aston Martin. But the big problem is that the real future is probably not in Internal Combustion Engines. So the interest in Formula E is clear to see from the number of big manufacturers rushing to take part. F1 can’t convince them to join, but FE has them queuing at the door.

Sometimes things just run their course. The ICE was king for a long time and F1 thrived from manufacturers interest in taking part. Now F1 is coasting on its reputation and I font know what needs to happen to change things.

Has this not been said almost annually since FE was first mooted that it will surpass F1?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The manufacturers wanted certain conditions for them to agree to take part. It has to be future technology focused because they want to use f1 for R&D while getting to advertise to offset the cost.

The smaller teams alto want a budget cap of 150m dollars as all except the top 3 spend less than the proposed budget already.

The competing drives in f1 mean that a couple of teams pulled out recently such as Aston Martin. But the big problem is that the real future is probably not in Internal Combustion Engines. So the interest in Formula E is clear to see from the number of big manufacturers rushing to take part. F1 can’t convince them to join, but FE has them queuing at the door.

Sometimes things just run their course. The ICE was king for a long time and F1 thrived from manufacturers interest in taking part. Now F1 is coasting on its reputation and I font know what needs to happen to change things.

Aston Martin is not a big manufacturer and it only advertise's on the side of the Red Bulls. It has not cancelled that deal as far as I know.
    tigerboon wrote: »
    VW will stay in Formula E under the Audi brand. They will re-enter WEC to be the first to win LeMans with an all electric car. They already reckon their electric car sales will rival Tesla by 2020.

Not that far away will be interesting to see if it happens.

AMKC wrote: »
    Aston Martin is not a big manufacturer and it only advertise's on the side of the Red Bulls. It has not cancelled that deal as far as I know.
    They might not be big but they were in negotiations to become an engine suppler in 2021 and decided not to get involved. Same with Porsche. They were in negotiations for 2021 and decided against it. If they're not big manufacturers, isn't that more to the point that f1 isn't even getting to negotiate with the big manufacturers?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Has this not been said almost annually since FE was first mooted that it will surpass F1?
    It probably has and it might well do so. But not in the next few years.

Depending on what metrics you use, FE has overtaken formula 1. Not in viewership or prestige. But Fe has no bother attracting major manufacturers while F1 is really struggling in that regard. So in terms of a future investment, it's clear which one the car manufacturers think has the brighter future.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

pjohnson wrote: »

Incoming rules for WEC push towards hydrogen technologies. From 2022 onwards I think. Maybe F1 is stalling a bit to try and get a steer from manufacturers as to which way to go...hydrogen or electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭rock22

They might not be big but they were in negotiations to become an engine suppler in 2021 and decided not to get involved. Same with Porsche. They were in negotiations for 2021 and decided against it. If they're not big manufacturers, isn't that more to the point that f1 isn't even getting to negotiate with the big manufacturers?

What engine could Aston Martin supply to formula 1?

rock22 wrote: »

I don’t know? They were in negotiations with red bull on the team side and the FIA about the 2021 rules.

They postponed their decision which forced red bull to postpone its engine decision for next year. When Aston Martin decided to against making engines, red bull decided to go with Honda.

This wasn’t secret it was talked about during the early part of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The engine they were planning to design for F1? I don't understand the question, every engineer supplier specifically designs an engine for F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Marcus Ericsson is off to IndyCar next year. He will be driving full time for Schmidt Peterson Motorsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Marcus Ericsson is off to IndyCar next year. He will be driving full time for Schmidt Peterson Motorsport.
    Surprised he lasted this long tbh, far out of his depth imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭rock22

GarIT wrote: »
    The engine they were planning to design for F1? I don't understand the question, every engineer supplier specifically designs an engine for F1.

Aston Martin buy in their engines . Why do you think they could design and build an F1 engine?

GarIT wrote: »

Aston Martin buy in their engines . Why do you think they could design and build an F1 engine?
    Lots of options but they decided against it in the end.
    Don't take our word for it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132059/red-bull-absolutely-open-to-aston-engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Just a few bits i got for myself and my nephew

rt1h5f.jpg
    2hn13bm.jpg
    sw372o.jpg
    9k8bxt.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is the Jaguar one a leather waistcoat?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is the Jaguar one a leather waistcoat?

No no, a leather jacket. Fine job it is as well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No no, a leather jacket. Fine job it is as well.

Sorry, I must've been partially blind. Can clearly see the sleeves!

antodeco wrote: »
    Sorry, I must've been partially blind. Can clearly see the sleeves!

I can see how you can mistake it for a waist coat, I took it that close as the camera on the phone is utterly sh1t

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dunno about you guys but I've been enjoying the f1 esports races more than a lot of the actual races this year.

• Advertisement

Dunno about you guys but I've been enjoying the f1 esports races more than a lot of the actual races this year.
    How does it work and where do you follow it?

Anyone got F1 2018 for the XBOX? bought it today but won't get the chance to play it until either tonight or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How does it work and where do you follow it?

It's been on Sky Sports F1, but they also stream live on Facebook and Youtube. Normally vods are uploaded on the esports site, but the latest ones haven't been yet. The 'live stream' is last nights races. The final race of the evening was a highlight.

It's been on Sky Sports F1, but they also stream live on Facebook and Youtube. Normally vods are uploaded on the esports site, but the latest ones haven't been yet. The 'live stream' is last nights races. The final race of the evening was a highlight.

I seen it one night on sky, it doesn't appeal to me personally but again that is just personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Inviere

I seen it one night on sky, it doesn't appeal to me personally but again that is just personal choice.

Same, a group of people playing F1 2018...one step higher than Xbox Live :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder how well Haas will be received in 'nam.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/46059476?_

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2008 Brazilian GP being streamed on the F1 YouTube channel now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Inviere wrote: »

McLarens sim driver got the job due to winning F1 2017 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Fernando Alonso and Jimmie Johnson to do F1/NASCAR swap

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/1058386139214680064

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Inviere wrote: »

I actually don't get "esports" and the way they are marketed like they were an actual sporting event.

Before the "you're just not familiar...", I have been a gamer sing 1985ish when I couldn't read yet, but could play with a Commodore64. To this day still play almost daily and I'm well aware of that fine line between "good player", which is a level anyone can get to with a bit of practice, and an "insanely good player", which essentially means spending weeks and months refining technique, learning strategies / tactics / ways (depending on the game).

I also know all too well how the gaming industry moves more money than Hollywood right now (it was a matter of time) and get that many businesses are trying to get a slice of it any way they can. Still, these kids may spend weeks honing their skills at F1 2018 (or whatever other game used for "eSports"), I know how actually difficult it is, kudos to them - but they're no sportspeople as they don't face any of the downsides of being an athlete; namely gureling, boring interminable training sessions in the cold& rain or under a 40c heat, injury and in case of motorsports, quite literally putting one's own life on the line.

That said, there's no denying the popularity surge the whole thing is enjoying - one thing is immediately apparent from the video linked here, there's no Ferrari esports team. I can see why they wouldn't want to associate themselves with the phenomenon (yet, I've also noticed Sauber races with the Alfa Romeo logo), but I do think it's extremely shortsighted on their part from a business / PR perspective.

Oh, and the commentators are insufferable - that Matt guy form YT just makes you want to punch the screen and...my god, Davide Valsecchi. He feckin' sounds exactly like the meme "The Italian man who went to Malta" :P:P:P

Advertisement