Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's single?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 QuestionTime18

I find the opposite is true, when women are young they want the broad shoulders and tall men, when they older height becomes less of a requirement (Or at least i prey it does). But yeah i think when women are young, they are all requiring height and good looks, but as they get older they are more about whats on the inside or at least that's what i've been told.
    nthclare wrote: »
    I love being single it's great.

Humble bragging here I may be.
    But being single in your mid 40's is wayyyy better than the late 20's up until at least 41

Women are less superficial in their late 30's they go for a more alpha strong guy rather than the mangina blue pill guy they got tired of. He's usually kicked to the kirb by the time she's 34 5 to 7 year's a woman will put up with a puddy cat.

Then when she's sick of his pandering to her every need but under current control,and he's reduced her to a quivering wreck because he just simply is too jealous passive controling and sensitive,her instincts kicks in.

She starts finding the guy with the broad shoulders, beard and tattoos more appealing.
    She has her career well tuned,so she doesn't need Mr Blue pill no more.

I find dating in my mid 40's is a whole new level, women in their mid 30's to 50s + want a good strong empathic man who'll be more honest,less demanding and confident.

His bank account doesn't really matter, because the workaholic is always busy.
    The average guys has more time for her and he's more than likely never been married either.
    So he's likely to have less baggage, than the guy who's divorced or separated.

I love being single love it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A lot of "strong independent women" types in this thread, of the cat food, meals for one and wine variety.
    And the men who say they're happy being single - players right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A lot of "strong independent women" types in this thread, of the cat food, meals for one and wine variety.

Exactly and i bet nothing to look at too , and up their own rear end too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The right relationship should make your life better. It should add to it.

So maybe those people who are single and contentedly so happen to value themselves rather than getting into a relationship thats just hardship....as opposed to bring up their own holes, cat ladies or players etc.

I get being unhappy after a break-up or missing the good bits of a relationship, and wanting to meet someone, but people who are unhappy all the time with being single - they strike me as quite needy. Ditto people who cannot for the life of themselves understand how a person could be happy single.

That said, I think most people (most) would like to meet someone ultimately.

But there are good things about being single and being in a relationship. It's not a case of one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Recently enough single (29, female). 5 year relationship ended on not so great terms about 2 months ago.

Obviously it's upsetting and I miss the guy, but I'm coming around to the stage of enjoying being single. I like having no obligation towards anyone for now.

In the future, obviously it's not a chore to keep the right person in mind when you make any decisions, because you'll want to include the right person.

But for now I'm enjoying having no obligation to be considerate of a guy's feelings, and being able to do what I want.

Maybe in a year or so I'll look into dating again but not yet.

I think being in the right relationship is amazing, but equally so is being single! They both have perks :)

The right relationship should make your life better. It should add to it.

So maybe those people who are single and contentedly so happen to value themselves rather than getting into a relationship thats just hardship....as opposed to bring up their own holes, cat ladies or players etc.
    And if someone is going to be an insulting arsehole, they should be egalitarian about it instead of insulting women only. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Recently enough single (29, female). 5 year relationship ended on not so great terms about 2 months ago.

Obviously it's upsetting and I miss the guy, but I'm coming around to the stage of enjoying being single. I like having no obligation towards anyone for now.

In the future, obviously it's not a chore to keep the right person in mind when you make any decisions, because you'll want to include the right person.

But for now I'm enjoying having no obligation to be considerate of a guy's feelings, and being able to do what I want.

Maybe in a year or so I'll look into dating again but not yet.

I think being in the right relationship is amazing, but equally so is being single! They both have perks :)

How you doin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

whoever came up with the phrase it is better to have loved and lost then never have loved didn't consider my scenario. I knew a girl from work for 3+ years, was friendly and there was a connection but nothing happened. She went back to her home country last year and returned this year. During this time we stay in touch. In August I met her and asked her out, and generally we had a great time. Earlier this month I tried to contact her, she lives in a remote part of the county, alone, and she didn't respond or so I thought. She had sent a imessage where we normally communicated through WhatsApp. I had my notifications turned off so I didn't see it and thought something was wrong. I phoned in the morning and she didn't answer so I drove for one hour to see she was ok. She was and she said she was shocked (not in a good way) that I would call unexpectedly. The next day we met and she broke it off, apparently one of her exs did something similar and now she believed she was getting the same feeling about me.
    Now I was shocked and she even said that it didn't make sense but was basing her decision on a feeling.
    This month has been the worse month of my life, but hoping she will change her mind or talk to someone. I have given her a few weeks space but she is ignoring my messages. It's bad enough losing your gf and on top of it losing a friend as well.

Mate, you need to leave that girl alone. Ye dated for a month, you thought she ignored you for a day when she didn't, so arrived at her house?

Sorry but that's fcuking bananas and behaviour like that is why many women choose to stay away from men.

• Advertisement

100% agree with your general point. Due to distance we communicated by message, usually over 50 a day. Given her isolated location and I did phone her as well with no response, I was concerned. But yes, time to move on. Thanks for your point of view

omerin wrote: »
    100% agree with your general point. Due to distance we communicated by message, usually over 50 a day. Given her isolated location and I did phone her as well with no response, I was concerned. But yes, time to move on. Thanks for your point of view

It was one day. And she DID message you, you just didn't see it. Your behaviour was creepy, scary and stalker-ish tbh.

I'm sorry you're hurting now and in pain from the breakup but you need to examine your actions closely so you can have a normal healthy relationship in future

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

whoever came up with the phrase it is better to have loved and lost then never have loved didn't consider my scenario. I knew a girl from work for 3+ years, was friendly and there was a connection but nothing happened. She went back to her home country last year and returned this year. During this time we stay in touch. In August I met her and asked her out, and generally we had a great time. Earlier this month I tried to contact her, she lives in a remote part of the county, alone, and she didn't respond or so I thought. She had sent a imessage where we normally communicated through WhatsApp. I had my notifications turned off so I didn't see it and thought something was wrong. I phoned in the morning and she didn't answer so I drove for one hour to see she was ok. She was and she said she was shocked (not in a good way) that I would call unexpectedly. The next day we met and she broke it off, apparently one of her exs did something similar and now she believed she was getting the same feeling about me.
    Now I was shocked and she even said that it didn't make sense but was basing her decision on a feeling.
    This month has been the worse month of my life, but hoping she will change her mind or talk to someone. I have given her a few weeks space but she is ignoring my messages. It's bad enough losing your gf and on top of it losing a friend as well.

Okaaaay... so thats a little strange. Where you dating or in a relationship. It sounds bonkers

it was a relationship. I've never done something like that before and wont do it again. As mentioned I tried to contact her before I went, it wasn't just driving there and hiding in the bushes lol. I knew of people who had accidents at home who were in isolated areas and have died so this was a factor.

Sometimes though I have to laugh at the way things are heading, in the past doing what I did would be seen as caring for someone, now it can be seen as freaky.

While I am devastated at the moment, I prefer that she was ok and ended it with me, then she was injured or something worse and I did nothing. Life goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I dont agree that calling to see if she was ok.was ott.
    Tbh i think her reaction was a bit much.
    Ok maybe she had a bad past relationship but no one nerfs to tar everyone the same.

Being unable to see that it was a genuine response, especially after a month of many messages a day, means this girl isnt ready for any relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Omerin the whole situation just seems like it was a nonrunner from the get-go tbh. Ye knew each other for how long, and nothing happened in all that time?

Sounds like you were chase, chase, chasing her and she decided to give it a shot despite not really feeling the same, jumped at the first legitimate"out" she could find. Sorry to say I've done the same, blown something out of the water that would probably just be a frank conversation with someone that I actually liked a lot. Not a dealbreaker, unless you're looking for one.

and therein lies the issue, you (understandably) presumed, not knowing all the facts, that I was chasing her and why nothing happened after 3+ years meant that it was always a non runner. This is where I find myself today, someone who wont listen to my reasons or allow us to talk about it, so she doesn't know all the facts so she presumes I am the same as her ex as it happened in the past so it will be the same with me - shoot first ask questions later.

This is dangerous today as it results in a guilty until proven innocent attitude. Sorry I can't give you all the details in my posts as it would require a thread of it's own, so I kept it to a high level :) We met for the first time when she returned to Ireland, spent some time together and got on really well. It was she that indicated she wanted a relationship, I was looking for something casual, but I was in a good place to start a relationship with her.
    In terms of timelines, as mentioned she was in her home country for a year and when in Ireland she was either in a relationship or I never asked her was she single, I just presumed she was as it could get awkward and didn't want to embarrass her or me or make it awkward in work. Unfortunately I'm more Hugh Grant then Hugh Hefner :o

thanks a lot for your replies, it helps to get impartial advice and feedback.

and therein lies the issue, you (understandably) presumed, not knowing all the facts, that I was chasing her and why nothing happened after 3+ years meant that it was always a non runner. This is where I find myself today, someone who wont listen to my reasons or allow us to talk about it, so she doesn't know all the facts so she presumes I am the same as her ex as it happened in the past so it will be the same with me - shoot first ask questions later.

This is dangerous today as it results in a guilty until proven innocent attitude.

It's saddening that you seem to have taken in nothing that's been said to you.

It's not about guilty until proven innocent. It's not about shooting first and asking questions later.

You acted like a stalker, you displayed massive, glaring, screaming, neon red flags, and she took the appropriate action to protect herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

The point is, if she liked you enough you landing on her doorstep after one missed text wouldn't be an issue. But maybe it was a step too far and that's fair enough, she's allowed it. We all bring baggage and prejudices into a relationship, maybe her ex was some sort of stalker that crossed lines with her and that's her dealbreaker. Which she's entitled to, it's a pretty scary behaviour to be fair regardless of the intention.

Mine are things like if he's a heavy drinker, tells white lies, is full of talk about what he wants to achieve in life with little to back it up...because my ex was those things. It hurt to be in a relationship that was going nowhere because of those things and I wouldn't risk that kind of misery again. So I'd walk from a guy that displayed any one of them, even if it was uncharacteristic of him or a one-off mistake on his part. It's too big a risk.

This girl heard alarm bells with your behaviour and that's not some new "guilty until proven innocent" thing, it's a woman exercising the right to change her mind about a guy because that's what every human is allowed to do. Whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement

It's saddening that you seem to have taken in nothing that's been said to you.

It's not about guilty until proven innocent. It's not about shooting first and asking questions later.

You acted like a stalker, you displayed massive, glaring, screaming, neon red flags, and she took the appropriate action to protect herself.

have you read my posts? Just lol, I do realise I was at fault, but my point was that I was looking to explain the circumstances to her like two adults. None so blind as those who will not see.

have you read my posts? Just lol, I do realise I was at fault, but my point was that I was looking to explain the circumstances to her like two adults. None so blind as those who will not see.

Yes I read your posts and you still don't get it.

She doesn't have to allow you to explain yourself. You are not entitled to her time. You are not entitled to have her listen.

Your behaviour scared her and she reacted accordingly.

That you're so wound up over a one-two month relationship that ended due to your own actions, and blaming her for being scared by you, says a lot about you.

She doesn't owe you anything. Not her time, her ears, to listen, a relationship. Nothing.

The point is, if she liked you enough you landing on her doorstep after one missed text wouldn't be an issue. But maybe it was a step too far and that's fair enough, she's allowed it. We all bring baggage and prejudices into a relationship, maybe her ex was some sort of stalker that crossed lines with her and that's her dealbreaker. Which she's entitled to, it's a pretty scary behaviour to be fair regardless of the intention.

Mine are things like if he's a heavy drinker, tells white lies, is full of talk about what he wants to achieve in life with little to back it up...because my ex was those things. It hurt to be in a relationship that was going nowhere because of those things and I wouldn't risk that kind of misery again. So I'd walk from a guy that displayed any one of them, even if it was uncharacteristic of him or a one-off mistake on his part. It's too big a risk.

This girl heard alarm bells with your behaviour and that's not some new "guilty until proven innocent" thing, it's a woman exercising the right to change her mind about a guy because that's what every human is allowed to do. Whether you like it or not.

Sorry to hear about your ex.

Good point on carrying baggage, she never talked about it until the end, but I can understand her reasons for not talking about it. Just to be crystal clear, I did phone her before I left and on my way and just before I got there I text her to see if she was ok. These were placed at a time when she would have been awake. I just didn't turn up with no attempt to contact her.
    I knocked on the front door

The definition of stalking is - pursue or approach stealthily - my actions were hardly stealthy :D

Yes I read your posts and you still don't get it.

She doesn't have to allow you to explain yourself. You are not entitled to her time. You are not entitled to have her listen.

Your behaviour scared her and she reacted accordingly.

That you're so wound up over a one-two month relationship that ended due to your own actions, and blaming her for being scared by you, says a lot about you.

She doesn't owe you anything. Not her time, her ears, to listen, a relationship. Nothing.

I'm not wound up, just disappointed that someone that I've known for years would not have the emotional intelligence, understanding or the humanity to treat me this way.

Time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm not wound up, just disappointed that someone that I've known for years would not have the emotional intelligence, understanding or the humanity to treat me this way.

Time to move on

Move on

You sound like a young man

Learn from your experiences

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Time to move on

I was in a similar position before, started going out with a girl, we lived quite a distance from each other but I visited her every two weeks for 3 months and I was due to go to hers the next day and she just ended it over text, to say I was heartbroken was an under statement :o it only hit a few days after though, I felt very hurt after it, that wasn't her fault though, she didn't do anything wrong, it wasn't working for her so she ended it, I couldn't see that at the time though and txted her a few times and was told where to go, thankfully time is a great healer and you'll get over this eventually as well, keep yourself busy.

Really sorry to hear that, it must have been tough.

Our end wasn't by text, I asked to meet her and she agreed to meet the following day (probably a mistake on my side). I am a straight forward, honest person and just wanted to understand why she said she was shocked as in my head I went out of concern for her (your replies helped to clear this up and see it from her perspective). I thought everything would be resolved as I am level headed and don't get angry and she said the previous day that she would be ok. Also when we worked together, she would sneak up on me at my desk and shock me, so I thought in some way her original reaction and knowing who I was, was a kind of reference back to that. It clearly wasn't and she told me she wanted to end it because of a feeling she now had about me based on an experience with an ex. It made no sense to me and she said it made no sense to her, but said it anyway.

I have an analytical brain and work in an analytical job and what she said does not compute so it was going around and around in my head trying to make sense of it. It didn't until I got all of your responses, so thanks again for both the positive and negative replies.

I'm not too young :) but life is a learning curve and I have learned from this.

I do not regret meeting her, we shared great experience and she was and is still a beautiful person

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have an analytical brain and work in an analytical job and what she said does not compute so it was going around and around in my head trying to make sense of it. It didn't until I got all of your responses, so thanks again for both the positive and negative replies.
    Reading your posts and specifically the points in Bold, it seems to me that while you berate this girl for not knowing all the facts and not seeing what is obvious, you are doing exactly the same thing. There are no facts when it comes to human emotions. She decided that for whatever reason she had had enough. That is it. Full stop. Don’t be the blind person who will not see this.

Also, your point on her emotional intelligence is a bit dark.

Finally, trying to apply analytical processing to human emotions and behaviours too deeply will, and I would bet on this, affect future relationships negatively. Absolutely be cognisant of others feelings and behaviours but to over-analyse (as I think you are doing here) will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Break ups suck, they can be very painful.
    But they are almost always for the best in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Break ups suck, they can be very painful.
    But they are almost always for the best in the long run.

That's the sunny perspective:)

Have to agree, Ive never regretted a break up that i've been involved in.

Advertisement