Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's single?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Linda McCarthys?
    I'm with you on the 80s but never used Spotify

linda Mc c sausage rolls are like stuffing in pastry.

Good at 1 or 2 am with red wine!!

anewme wrote: »
    Bitterness only effects the bitter party.

Red wine, cheese, Nazi Death Squad, Super vet, with Linda Mc c sausage rolls, then 80's Spotify.
    gym tomorrow, maybe, maybe not. Maybe get up st 10 and di a cycje if it's not raining. The bike is in the sitting room, some ppl don't like that!

Sleep like a starfish and snore like a pig.

Love being single.

You can have all of that and a man!
    Unless you have one of those clingy 'do everything together' men. Mind you maybe having a spare bedroom or a whole spare house would be good too for when you want to do your own thing.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

anewme wrote: »
    linda Mc c sausage rolls are like stuffing in pastry.

Good at 1 or 2 am with red wine!!

I remember when Linda McCartney used to sponsor a cycling team. Didn't think products were still on the go.
    I've cracked open the wine 5 minutes to 1am!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I remember when Linda McCartney used to sponsor a cycling team. Didn't think products were still on the go.
    I've cracked open the wine 5 minutes to 1am!

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

You can have all of that and a man!
    Unless you have one of those clingy 'do everything together' men. Mind you maybe having a spare bedroom or a whole spare house would be good too for when you want to do your own thing.

:p

Don't think I could ever live with someone again.
    Love my space.

Part time maybe.

Stevie wonder was onto something with that song. Part time lover..... he didn't even see it coming :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I am!!!

Hoping I end up with Jasmine Marie from Babestation some day. I think she's the best looking woman in the wurdled.
    0463ccb4-ecae-47e1-bc81-ebf0b0a47a28.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Liking the fact that 50% of people here are single.

Good news for planet if millennials and Gen Z can stop having kids leading to an overall reduction in the worlds population, at least in the first world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Just watching jessica ennis , man a savage ass

She better take it up the brown star

Fook all else that gets me into her lolo

Been in a relationship for six or seven years. Probably get married around the ten-year mark. Kids aren't an option and we spend a lot of time together no problem so I'm content.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Single.
    Would love to have a relationship where I could see family planning conversations, not because society is telling me I have to, but because I'd like to feel loved and valued in that way and to return said love/value.
    Would sooner stay single though if I thought I was going to wake up one morning with that family and feel I was in the wrong place.

Willing to admit, I'm not good at the dating game.

• Advertisement

Single.
    Would love to have a relationship where I could see family planning conversations, not because society is telling me I have to, but because I'd like to feel loved and valued in that way and to return said love/value.
    Would sooner stay single though if I thought I was going to wake up one morning with that family and feel I was in the wrong place.

That is one of my worst nightmares, to wake up ten years down the line with a husband and kids and think 'oh fück this is all wrong'. Thing is I don't think its something you can predict. All relationships have a beginning and also hope and expectation. That is no guarantee of lasting happiness and no regrets.

That is one of my worst nightmares, to wake up ten years down the line with a husband and kids and think 'oh fück this is all wrong'. Thing is I don't think its something you can predict. All relationships have a beginning and also hope and expectation. That is no guarantee of lasting happiness and no regrets.

Hence the "I'm not good at the dating game"

Too many questions/doubts/hypotheticals raise their head and I'm not good at selecting what to ignore, and what to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

To be totally cheesy and gross, when it’s the right person you’re a bit more chilled on the skepticism front and a bit happier to ignore things that might have given you doubt with other potential partners.

Or at least that’s been my experience so far. Admittedly there is that “once bitten twice shy” thing that can make us all a bit less willing to dive in head first with someone new. Heartbreak changes the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Good news for planet if millennials and Gen Z can stop having kids leading to an overall reduction in the worlds population, at least in the first world.

To be fair I don't think boards is a good representative sample. Seems to be a high amount of on the spectrum folks here who either don't want or are incapable of forming normal relationships.

I'm happily married for 9 years. My wife is my best friend. Have 3 beautiful kids as well. I'm not a Saint but my family are the most important thing to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair I don't think boards is a good representative sample. Seems to be a high amount of on the spectrum folks here who either don't want or are incapable of forming normal relationships.
    There would be an element of that alright. However just because someone doesn't want a "normal" relationship, doesn't require someone to be on "the spectrum". That's far too easy an explanation. There can be a multitude of reasons for it. Negative experiences, relationship expectations, societal changes around dating, too busy with careers, even pure bad luck. Plus the plain fact that some may be not so physically attractive and have a much narrower set of options in the first place.

I would also say that within the perfectly normal range of personalities some are much more relationship focused and need one, others are not relationship focused, with most somewhere in the middle.

Consider the divorce rates worldwide averaged out. It's not 50% as some negative nellies seem to believe, but IIRC it's close enough to 1 in 4/5. That's with people who wanted and can form long term relationships past the point where they thought this was forever and they walked down the aisle and still something goes wrong.

Now people incapable of forming relationships is another thing. Even there it's not so clear cut. I personally know two couples where one partner has been formally diagnosed with Aspergers and they seem to be fine and very long term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Nothing but **** on them sites

100 % about looks not actually wether you are a decent person or genuine etc

Should try speeddating , least you get to see em face to face and see what happens
    Just watching jessica ennis , man a savage ass

She better take it up the brown star

Fook all else that gets me into her lolo

I see...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why do you think that because they are single now, that they've always been single and don't have kids from a previous relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the peter pan gene is strong in After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Likely true thanks to the demographics, but plenty of female equivalents around also. The whole biological clock thing must be worrying for some ladies I guess, but there isn't a societal pressure like there was in the past and whatever peer pressure exists for both sides is rightly scoffed away.

I'm happily married for 9 years. My wife is my best friend. Have 3 beautiful kids as well. I'm not a Saint but my family are the most important thing to me.

How very presumptive of you. Relationships and all that goes with them can be complicated. You are happily married but just because that's your experience doesn't mean a person is 'on the spectrum' if they take a different view.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Likely true thanks to the demographics, but plenty of female equivalents around also. The whole biological clock thing must be worrying for some ladies I guess, but there isn't a societal pressure like there was in the past and whatever peer pressure exists for both sides is rightly scoffed away.

Petra Pan? or maybe Tinkerbell, not sure what the female equivalent is. In any case I think the nonchalance belies an unspoken sadness if not downright panic

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/02/women-freeze-eggs-allow-men-get-ahead-careers/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You’re a good poster, but your posts seem a bit prickly lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Single for most of whole life and will be for the long term future. I am in my 20s but I don't believe in love and I don't buy into this settling down thing. The idea of settling down scares me as is. Like why would you want to settle in anything. I like the freedom, I like not being forced to do something or have to put up or listen to someone just because we share a house and she gives the ride once in the blue moon. Relationships are far too much work and effort and there simply isn't enough of a positive side. The level of cheating and people separating and getting divorced is horrifying as well and would only put you off more. Sex is everywhere so no fear of me that way but after a while you get bored of that. There are far greater pleasures out there but most men will never experience that anyway as they're settled down and in a sense stuck.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You’re a good poster, but your posts seem a bit prickly lately.
    I call it as I see it, father

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Single for yonks, love the freedom and lack of obligations. Intend to stay single for the rest of my life. Lots of people say "ah you'll find somebody that will change your mind", nah.

Would rather watch Super Sunday and NFL Sunday for 12 hours, than visit Ikea for 2 hours and go to dinner with the in-laws.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Single, wouldn't mind dating someone casually and just see where it goes.

Same here brother, probably over thinking things too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ive been single for years now and I still cant tell if people are being straight up nosey when I get the "when are you giving us a day out?" or similar questions or is it genuine confusion that someone doesn't follow the exact same path of date<marry<kids<that's it for life that they did??

Ireland is awful for it, absolutely awful. Most other countries wouldn't care enough to enquire about your personal life as much as people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Petra Pan? or maybe Tinkerbell, not sure what the female equivalent is. In any case I think the nonchalance belies an unspoken sadness if not downright panic

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/02/women-freeze-eggs-allow-men-get-ahead-careers/

The people using that service are an outlier even if it does indicate some trends there are other things to consider in the choices both parties are making.

There are many more women are at work, the cost of everything has risen to soak up all that equality, the average wage is not enough to support a family so if some couple wants one half to be jobless and childered for a while there are compromises to be made.

Most of my female friends have prioritised studies and careers over having kids in their late teens/twenties and early thirties, you can't just blame men and their Peter Pan syndrome for whatever sadness you think society is suffering. The game of life's rules have changed and on a large scale everybody has to navigate this new set of choices.

Ireland is awful for it, absolutely awful. Most other countries wouldn't care enough to enquire about your personal life as much as people here.

Well, isn't it nice that people care and are interested to enquire?

I'd prefer that society over one where everyone is thinking of themselves.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    The people using that service are an outlier even if it does indicate some trends there are other things to consider in the choices both parties are making.

There are many more women are at work, the cost of everything has risen to soak up all that equality, the average wage is not enough to support a family so if some couple wants one half to be jobless and childered for a while there are compromises to be made.

Most of my female friends have prioritised studies and careers over having kids in their late teens/twenties and early thirties, you can't just blame men and their Peter Pan syndrome for whatever sadness you think society is suffering. The game of life's rules have changed and on a large scale everybody has to navigate this new set of choices.
    I do agree, its harder now to replicate the pattern of previous generations: marriage, home, kids, retire, die. But it's not that it's economically impossible to have kids, it's that it takes sacrifices regarding freedom, disposable income and responsibility that our generation are loath to make. Or maybe that's the lie we tell ourselves because the economic realities take it out of our reach. I'm not sure which way round it is. What I am sure is that like it or not most have an evolutionary impulse to procreate as it's our only way to achieve (genetic) immortality.

Advertisement