Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Garda Commissioners Guidelines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

What has been updated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Not finished reading this but the bit on zeroing is very refreshing.

Paragraph on semi auto rifles is.....weird. Any license between announcement in 2015 and possible future legislation are revoked. That doesn't seem even remotely legal does it. You cant license this because of potential future laws :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Exacta mundo... Its the self-prohibiting 1972 TCO trick again. "We won't license it , because your license might be revoked...Sometime!"
    Not very good law,and probably challengeable EU unconstitutional under EUCHR.
    How many of the M1 carbine boys might attest to this being BS??

Still got the stupid "assault style" weapons definition too....They are really hard of learning.
    Also,the IPSC definition is brilliant,as it could be sooo easily legally circumvented.As it is the exact definition of what it is in German law,and Germany has a growing by the day IPSC community.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Its seems all the reccomended ammo allowances have been increased

Farmer -up to 200 rounds
    Deer stalker -up to 500 rounds
    Clay pigeon shooting- up to 750 rounds
    Target shooter - up to1000 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GolfVI wrote: »
    Its seems all the reccomended ammo allowances have been increased

Farmer -up to 200 rounds
    Deer stalker -up to 500 rounds
    Clay pigeon shooting- up to 750 rounds
    Target shooter - up to1000 rounds

WhAt in God's name does a deer stalker need 500 rounds for ?

I only.hold about 100 at any time, and that's loads (I am now going to.duck and run for cover).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

I only.hold about 100 at any time, and that's loads (I am now going to.duck and run for cover).

Maybe the deer are starting to fight back and they want us to be well armed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Well there is an epidemic of deer out there, maybe its a hint to shoot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

No change on the substitutions of restricted pistols.

Any decent deer ammo is nearly 40 yoyos a box, which is 1,000 euros worth. Maybe estates might need that amount ?

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Also,the IPSC definition is brilliant,as it could be sooo easily legally circumvented.As it is the exact definition of what it is in German law,and Germany has a growing by the day IPSC community.

WHOO-HOO, lets get shooting ipsc again !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Few things have changed and some mistakes were made.

Here are the mistakes, illegal bits, and bits i don't like.
    Additionally, any rim fire rifle with a magazine holding in excess of 10 rounds is defined as a restricted firearm
    See the mistake, because the law says capable of holding, not actually holding.
    ....... with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds
    This mistake would mean if you have a 25 round mag for your 10/22 but only load 10 you're fine, well you're not.

This bit has me concerned and confused:
    It shall not be lawful for any person to sell a firearm to a person under 18 years of age. Additionally, an application for a firearm certificate, where the applicant is under 18 years of age, shall be accompanied by the written consent of the applicant's parent or guardian. Statutory Instrument No: 493 of 2010 refers
    SI 493/2010 refers to someone under 18 being registered as a business in firearms/firearms dealer and for someone to sell them firearms for the purpose of their business without the person (under 18) having written consent from their parents/guardians.

The sale of firearms to anyone under 18 is not illegal, hence not a crime if it's done a one to one or private basis. IOW outside of a business. Putting the above in where it is is wrong, violates the actual firearms act, and makes a completely legal transaction seem illegal.

The bit about the semi auto defacto ban is annoying and worrying. Three years since the former Minister made that statement and not a budge or hint of legislation coming. This could go on indefinitely and after 30 years a ban would still be in place without any legislation to make it legal. Time to get writing me thinks.

The issue of the firearm dealer SI. No real discussion with actual RFDs just the three on the so called coalition of vested interests group, one of whom is only an ammo dealer. Leaving the other 99.6% out in the dark.

Under the Fox heading they once again mention this bullsh*t about notifying AGS before going out. Other than being impractical i wonder how i would dot his as three local stations around me were closed, one closes at 8pm, and the main station would think it's a terrorist calling in a threat. Also the last time i had to call AGS it took them 3 hours to get back to me as no one local was available so i had to wait for someone from a station 50 miles away to contact me back.

In the "Hunting" paragraph there is a worrying sign of "don't give this type of rifle for this type of hunting". They even hint, under the fox hunting bit, that centrefire rifles like the 223 need a large degree of skill to use and are really only suitable to highland areas. You all might find it harder to get a certain caliber because they don't think it's safe.

A few points i like.

They clarified the competence part of getting a firearms license. No more "only a cert will do". In the same paragraph they also state what we've been saying on this forum for years. Proficiency is NOT to be confused with competence and is NOT required to be proven when applying for a firearms license.

They ahve clarified that refusals MUST be in writing and must clearly outline why they person was refused making it clear that citing a paragraph of one of the acts does NOT count as an explanation.

Garda Supts MUST now meet gun clubs twice a year to discuss any problems or issues.

The zeroing aspect is addressed and it's good to see common sense being used, but i'd be happier if, like the illegal semi auto ban, they addressed the legislation and rubber stamped it to make it completely legal.

The ammo allowances have all been raised. Farmer from 100 to 200, Deer from 200 to 500, Shotgun from 500/750 to 750 only figure and target shooter goes from 750/1000 to 1,000 only figure.

When talking about suitable firearms as they pertain to the land the person shoots on a brief mention is made of how sometimes an applicant may find they need a different caliber/type than is usual for the type of shooting. This may, and i stress may, allow for 22-250/243, etc. for lads with no deer licenses. Long shot, but it seems like it.

In the end its not of any great concern because they are simply GUIDELINES. While the Super or Chief Super may adhere to them they will need legislation to support any decision made based on the guidelines and if it's not there then they have acted outside the law and the remit of their authority.

I don't want to come across as confrontational or looking for problems, but while there are some good points others have been made murkier or harder when the law, in some cases, doesn't make it so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The defecto ban on semi auto centrefire rifles is what has me p1ssed off.

Buy a gun today legally. Licence it in the next few months legally. Use it legally. Then have your licence revoked because of a statement by a Minister years ago with no legislation to back it up. How the foooook can they backdate a ban like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That .223 and hills etc etc is some UK bull crap copied into Irish guidelines. They look at whether land is "suitable" for a certain caliber.

Well I can shoot a .50BMG perfectly safely sitting in a high seat in a twenty foot tree firing into the ground in a completely flat 1000 acre farm. At the same time a clown with a .17 hmr can seriously hurt someone 600 yards away firing over the brow of 300 foot hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

COLLECTORS
    Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are
    held as ornaments or curiosities. In the absence of a definition for an 'antique' firearm,
    Ballistics section at Garda H.Q. applies the 'Pre Unitary Cartridge' rule which appears to
    conform to international standards. Unitary cartridge ammunition consists of a cartridge -
    usually metal which contains the primer - the propellant and the bullet within it. Modern
    reproductions of antique firearms are not exempt from firearms legislation.
    Some people will occasionally wish to purchase an old or antique firearm, or one which
    is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an
    investment. This may sometimes be regarded as 'good reason' having regard to all the
    circumstances, and if capable of being fired, these firearms will require a firearms
    certificate.

So obsolete calibre's aren't exempt but being a collector is acceptable as "good reason" I wonder will fire arms officer or supers' apply rigid security requirements to firearms which effectively can't be shot .

Vegeta wrote: »
    Paragraph on semi auto rifles is.....weird. Any license between announcement in 2015 and possible future legislation are revoked. That doesn't seem even remotely legal does it. You cant license this because of potential future laws :confused:
    Last year i brought up this topic (semi autos facing possible ban) in another thread outside of the main thread discussing this and other stuff and was told i was scaremongering. I said then that a cap was illegal and no legislation is in place to uphold any sort of cap let alone a ban.

It all started with a proposal by the so called coalition of vested interests for, among other things, a temporary cap on semi autos AFTER 1950 (to preserve their interests so vintage, classic, and the likes wouldn't be affected) in 2015. The Minister made her statement on Sept 18th of 2015 in which she said categorically:
    Legislation will provide for the revocation of any licenses issued between today (18 September 2015) and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for licenses of this nature will be informed of that fact.
    No cap was ever put in place because its ILLEGAL. However with the statement comes the possibility of a "back dated" ban most likely with Grandfathering like the restricted short firearm ban.

As for the legalities of such a retrospective ban, it is more than likely illegal as the constitution says you cannot introduce and apply legislation retrospectively to make something that was not criminal, criminal, but it'll take a Supreme court case i'd imagine to resolve it which requires a serious amount of money and an invitation (if my understanding of the court is correct).

The worrying part of this is the fact the Commissioner has brought this topic back to the fore with his updating of the guidelines. It reinforces that they intend to revisit this matter (ban/legislation) at some point and serves as a reminder to anyone licensing such a firearm that they WILL (not may) loose it.

IOW an illegal and stealth ban.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Just seen this and had a quick read.

On the semi auto centre fire rifles, I don't read the guidelines as meaning a current ban ( the bit I found is on page 23?).

I read it as saying that the applicant and the issuer should remember that future proposed legislation will mean the licence will be revoked.

Now I know that some FO's will use this as an excuse to refuse an application and it does sound very like the 1972 TCO, but it can be reasonably argued that an application is not inadmissible until any new SI/legislation is in effect.

And I do note the prejudice in favour of single shot/bolt action rifles elsewhere, so just saying.

Both of you are correct on those points.It is unconstitutional legislation both under Irish law and EU law. Ex post facto law to give it it's legal terminology.
    From an EU parliment written question in Dec 2012

Keep this bookmarked or on the legal sticky Mods,as no doubt this WILL come up one day,and it will save hunting about for it again.

IOW refuse a cert under those current guidelines and see you in court!

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+P-2012-011005+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

One of the fundamental principles of European Union law is the requirement for a guarantee of legal certainty, which includes the prohibition of ex post facto legislation. This can also be seen in the case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union. There is also an explicit ban on ex post facto law in Article 7 of the European Convention on Human Rights and in Article 15 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Since, under Article 6 of the convention, the European Convention on Human Rights is a signatory to the Treaty and the fundamental principles which it contains form part of EC law, the ban on ex post facto law can also be regarded as a requirement of the rule of law laid down in Article 2 TEU. Ex post facto legislation may also violate citizens’ right to effective legal redress and a fair trial, which is laid down in Article 47 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

gunny123 wrote: »
    WHOO-HOO, lets get shooting ipsc again !

Yes,all we need to do is actually get a roundtable discussion with AGS and DOJ and hammer out exact definitions of what would be considered "combat shooting" and IPSC.Can get the German legislation on what is considered combat training no problem,and their restrictions on IPSC, and it could be worked on. Also, seeing we have a NI chief commissioner who is well aware of IPSC in NI and what "combat training" actually is, seeing he comes from an armed police force...:)...Ok, who wants to help out on this??

yubabill wrote: »
    On the semi auto centre fire rifles, I don't read the guidelines as meaning a current ban ( the bit I found is on page 23?).
    It's not as there is no current ban. As i said back then, and above, a temporary ban/cap is illegal and so no such thing exists.
    I read it as saying that the applicant and the issuer should remember that future proposed legislation will mean the licence will be revoked.
    Yup.

So this is where my "stealth ban" comes into it. As a perspective new semi auto owner/licensee would you now buy one knowing that future legislation will make them illegal and it'll be back dated to Sept 18th 2015?

Most people knowing, and the Minister's statement with the updated guidelines make it clear, this would not dare buy one to have the license revoked and end up with a few grand sitting in some dealers waiting to sell.

Its the pistol ban all over again only much longer between the statement date and any legislation.
    Now I know that some FO's will use this as an excuse to refuse an application and it does sound very like the 1972 TCO, but it can be reasonably argued that an application is not inadmissible until any new SI/legislation is in effect.
    Not only can it be argued, but it is currently the law. IOW if they refuse an application, and given the Commissioner's update on what is required in a refusal, you will absolutely win and be granted the license (assuming you meet all the other criteria).

The issue is for how long? This is the dangerous part of this proposed legislation. There is no "end date". It could be done in the next 6 days, weeks, months or years. Perhaps longer. However for as long as this "limbo" is in place there is a self imposed stealth ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

Just had a quick read in the hunting section on page 32 its interesting to see that
    22-250 is 5.7 mm and .223 is 5.7 mm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yes,all we need to do is actually get a roundtable discussion with AGS and DOJ and hammer out exact definitions of what would be considered "combat shooting" and IPSC.Can get the German legislation on what is considered combat training no problem,and their restrictions on IPSC, and it could be worked on. Also, seeing we have a NI chief commissioner who is well aware of IPSC in NI and what "combat training" actually is, seeing he comes from an armed police force...:)...Ok, who wants to help out on this??

I doubt we will ever see ipsc shooting in the republic again, the government/ags would keep moving the goalposts so it could never happen. I am surprised they have not gotten rid of the embassy cup already.

Just had a quick read in the hunting section on page 32 its interesting to see that
    22-250 is 5.7 mm and .223 is 5.7 mm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

More crap, under eussr law , imperial measurements are verboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭.270 remington

I doubt we will ever see ipsc shooting in the republic again, the government/ags would keep moving the goalposts so it could never happen. I am surprised they have not gotten rid of the embassy cup already.
    Are they still allowed to use slugs ?

Are they still allowed to use slugs ?

Yes, as far as i know.

Cass wrote: »
    It's not as there is no current ban. As i said back then, and above, a temporary ban/cap is illegal and so no such thing exists.

Yup.

So this is where my "stealth ban" comes into it. As a perspective new semi auto owner/licensee would you now buy one knowing that future legislation will make them illegal and it'll be back dated to Sept 18th 2015?

Most people knowing, and the Minister's statement with the updated guidelines make it clear, this would not dare buy one to have the license revoked and end up with a few grand sitting in some dealers waiting to sell.

Its the pistol ban all over again only much longer between the statement date and any legislation.

Not only can it be argued, but it is currently the law. IOW if they refuse an application, and given the Commissioner's update on what is required in a refusal, you will absolutely win and be granted the license (assuming you meet all the other criteria).

The issue is for how long? This is the dangerous part of this proposed legislation. There is no "end date". It could be done in the next 6 days, weeks, months or years. Perhaps longer. However for as long as this "limbo" is in place there is a self imposed stealth ban.

All of which is ex-post facto law and illegal...So if they do this they will be facing court cases aplenty. I think this just shows the arrogance of the PTB to think that they think we are all ignoramuses of the law and that for some reason we wouldn't look up this and challenge them on it?? Now I would ask if this is a reality in the fact is, how many people have joined Gallery rifle in the last couple of years that are shooting M1 carbine?? If there is an increase in numbers,then it shows two things, either people are accepting this risk and running with it, or CS are issuing licenses with good reason anyway?

Personally, I think they would only kick off with this if there was a surge of license applications like with the handguns, but again this is different, in that the pistol ban defined a cutoff date to become legislation,[IE Nov 16th 2008] this does not, as there is no cutoff date enacted in when the legislation commences.

TBH,I'm more worried about the deafning silences on the new EU legislation which was supposed to be enacted by all member states by Sept 10th 2018.Especially in relation to semi autos whether we are CAT A prohibited with a mag of more than 10 shots,but with exemption granted to persure disiplines requiring more than shots,or CAT B 3 semi autos with a mag capacity of ten shots.as it opens the question of hi cap mags here that hold greater than 10 shots?Dowe block our 20 shot mags?How do we do such? Or do we hand them in and what recompense do we get for them?

Errr NO...The whole idea of getting definitions laid out exactly and on paper is to prevent ambiguity and goal post moving. Things like, one aGS objection in IPSC was "shooting out of "doors and windows" Fine, well let's define what you classify as a "door/window" exactly in the legislation so that there is no fukups then? Grey areas and ambiguity has always been AGS and the beuracrats friend here....remove it and it makes it difficult for either side to screwup.
    Look,if the Germans can do this,and have a growing community of IPSC and under strict definitions of whats allowed or not to define the differences of combat or IPSC shooting I cant see why we cant do the same here?

Yes, as far as i know.

Of course.You need slugs to shoot it, and it's no different in shooting a rifle discipline.

Any movement in muzzleloading/blackpowder shooting ? It is a discipline that seems to be constantly getting kicked into the long grass and never dealt with, which is a pity as it is something i would really like to try. A nice cap and ball revolver would be great fun to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Cass wrote: »

Now there's the question.

Personally, given that new legislation was promised by a previous minister and there seems to be no mention of it since, I imagine they are waiting to see if the new EU firearms directive stands up to the court challenge(s?).

And while I'm at it, Griz I think they can extend the implementation date for themselves and in the meantime hi-cap mags are legal and aren't they going to be grandfathered?

• Advertisement

Nope, the high cap mags are not grandfathered FIK. It is this fecked up legislation from the EU that causes this problem.

paraphrasing for this point

CAT A are prohibited firearms that can accept a detachable mag[above.22lr] with a mag capacity of ten rounds in long arms or 20 rounds in short arms. Unless they are used in a nationally recognised discipline which MAY be accepted as the good reason to possess, and which an exemption will be granted.

CAT B Are semi-auto long firearms with a detachable mag of ten rounds or less or short firearms with a mag capacity of 20 rounds or less[above .22lr]

On an aside,this has now legalised ultra short stocked CAR type handguns in Italy as perfectly legal CAT B rifles with 20 shot mags. This is how stupid this legislation is.:(,

Now this is the kicker. Say you had an AR15 on Cat B, and you had a bunch of different mags like STEN,AK etc.You can have a house full of mags,as some people in the EU collect m ags only.But say you have an M16 20 rounder of Vietnam vintage.You are screwed!!As you hold a CAT B with no permission to use it in a CAT A gun.

So relevance to us?Some of us might have bought old surplus mags for our rifles that are 20 0r in some cases 30 shot. What's our position? Can we block them to te n rounds,and be able to keep them for aesthetic purposes? If so, how are they to be blocked?Or do we have to destroy, hand in etc?And in that case whats the going the rate for surrendered property?

Another problem is that some ex select-fire rifles out there that were converted to SA only that a few of us own,are now CAT A firearms and people might be unaware of this change until licensing them.

By and large, in the big pic it's really minor concern to us here as we more or less have most of this directive in national legislation already. But there is always the wild card that could hit us on those points.

Other point is this,this legislation is national and hasn't much to do with the EU . TH EU legislation is being challanged on the Czech,Polish and Swiss fronts as it messes with national defence policies and in the Czech case with Right to carry and ownership of ex military rifles converted to semi auto.

Advertisement