Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Garda Commissioners Guidelines

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

The bit on "Silencers"  WTF?????????????

The advantages of using a silencer for this purpose would include the reduction in recoil allowing the shooter to stay on target and reduce the risk of flinching to prevent the group of animals fleeing after the initial shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

BryanL wrote: »
    The bit on "Silencers"  WTF?????????????

I missed that bit??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Am I reading the bit on zeroing right - we could zero away to our hearts content?
    I'm a big fan of zeroing - not too good at it though, sometimes it can take me 3 or 4 boxes of ammo before I'm satisfied that it's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Gravelly wrote: »
    Am I reading the bit on zeroing right - we could zero away to our hearts content?

Well it's still technically illegal, just the guidelines are saying the Gardai will choose a common sense approach when deciding whether or not to pursue a conviction. So you have to assess if you're willing to take the risk. While it is a marginal improvement in our situation, it would be much better for us if the legislation was changed for good.
    I'm a big fan of zeroing - not too good at it though, sometimes it can take me 3 or 4 boxes of ammo before I'm satisfied that it's correct.

Look I understand the excitement, my fear for these types of things is we'll get lads taking the piss, making improvised ranges and boasting publicly. Could quickly eradicate any wiggle room we have gained on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Vegeta wrote: »
    Well it's still technically illegal, just the guidelines are saying the Gardai will choose a common sense approach when deciding whether or not to pursue a conviction. So you have to assess if you're willing to take the risk. While it is a marginal improvement in our situation, it would be much better for us if the legislation was changed for good.

Look I understand the excitement, my fear for these types of things is we'll get lads taking the piss, making improvised ranges and boasting publicly. Could quickly eradicate any wiggle room we have gained on this.

Either it becomes legal - in which case it is perfectly fine to do, or it doesn't, and it won't be. It still won't be legal to build an improvised range, or "boast publicly" so neither will make a jot of difference either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Gravelly wrote: »
    Either it becomes legal - in which case it is perfectly fine to do, or it doesn't, and it won't be.

So despite what is written in the new guidelines, not a single line of legislation has been changed for this so the standing on this has remained unchanged.
    It still won't be legal to build an improvised range, or "boast publicly" so neither will make a jot of difference either way.

Correct and there have been people contacted by the Gardai already for these activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Irish logic, the envy of the world.

Advertisement