Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2018, 23:25   #586
goingnowhere

NTA annual passenger survey
1296 vs 1981
Malahide is 3324 by comparison
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 23:52   #587
Decuc500

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Biggest bugbear of mine was the amount of Howth DARTs and also the fact there was a 40 minute gap in the timetable of Malahide DARTS in the evening which led to a severe overcrowding on the train before and after the gap whilst Howths were much more lightly loaded.
Well then you must be delighted to know that all these short darts to and from Howth are now as hopelessly overcrowded as the Malahide line darts and nobody wins and everybody's fed up.
Thanks from:
15-09-2018, 03:23   #588
Mullaghteelin

Send a message via MSN to Mullaghteelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Also working out where the entrances are to the busiest few stations, and then standing at your station in the opposite end of the train, will help you get a seat, I can't believe how many people don't recognise this.

For example, if you're waiting at Connolly for a Northbound train the very best place to wait is the end nearest the stairway at the back of the train (Yes, I know it sounds stupid because there will be more people waiting there) since at Pearse and Tara Street people are generally lazy and get on nearest the front of the train, because that end is closest to the entrances.
Regular commuters often choose the spot they stand on the platform to be near the best spot to exit the train at their destination. To beat queues getting out of the station, and traffic or whatever.
This is most obvious in Pearse, with a particular crowd all determined to get on the Drogheda train at a very specific spot. lots passengers from Balbriggan like to get on about one third of the way from the front, which helps to beat the queue when they get off.
For instance, as soon as the Skerries passengers get off the Drogheda train, there is mad dash through the train by Balbriggan passengers for the ideal door. Queues form at best door before the train even pulls out of Skerries, with still another 5 mins to go.
Thanks from:
15-09-2018, 05:09   #589
Trampas

Is part of the problem tailgating through barriers by annual pass people?

If people don’t scan their tickets then ir have no idea where people are going to and from and at what time
15-09-2018, 09:52   #590
pm1977x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decuc500 View Post

When my 4 car morning dart that was at crush capacity after the Killester debacle got to Pearse this morning a longer dart arrived from the southside that had lots of room on it before anybody got off.

So if you ask me (putting my northside bias aside) I would say that the available sets are being managed very poorly.

I travel from the Southside every morning. By Dun Laoghaire it's filling up, by Blackrock it's nearly full, gets a bit jammed after that but rarely the 'will you move down the carriage' shout-provoking conditions that I used to see on busier Northside Darts.

That said, the last week it felt jammed enough and could have used more carriages on the shorter trains, you have to keep in mind that these all start to empty at Lansdowne Rd, then a vast number get off at Grand Canal Dock, another load at Pearse and then by the time it's pulling out of Tara it's 1/4 full.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2018, 20:55   #591
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
Is part of the problem tailgating through barriers by annual pass people?

If people don’t scan their tickets then ir have no idea where people are going to and from and at what time
The above mentioned annual heavy rail census is carried out by having staff at every station and they count the number of people boarding and alighting from the trains on that day. Thus it would capture all passengers, including annual pass holders and even fare dodgers, etc.

Now that in itself wouldn't necessarily tell you where the passengers who get on at a particular station are then getting off, but if you were to combine the above data with a sample of leap card data, you could model a very accurate picture of the travel patterns.
17-09-2018, 14:13   #592
Klonker

I have to say I found it much better this morning coming into city centre from northside. I got the 7.56 (7.51 Malahide) dart from Clongriffin and some people actually managed to get a seat at this stop which I haven't seen happening in months for a dart at this time of the money.

A lot of people got on from Howth Junction to town but at least now they are getting onto a half empty dart rather than an already almost full one.

From the small sample of just this morning I think the new timetable with it's adjustments this week will work out better than the old timetable. Hopefully that continues to be the way and this morning wasn't just a once off.
17-09-2018, 14:56   #593
naughtb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonker View Post
I have to say I found it much better this morning coming into city centre from northside. I got the 7.56 (7.51 Malahide) dart from Clongriffin and some people actually managed to get a seat at this stop which I haven't seen happening in months for a dart at this time of the money.

A lot of people got on from Howth Junction to town but at least now they are getting onto a half empty dart rather than an already almost full one.

From the small sample of just this morning I think the new timetable with it's adjustments this week will work out better than the old timetable. Hopefully that continues to be the way and this morning wasn't just a once off.
Strangely, the train I got (8.14 from Donabate) was much much busier this morning than usual and some carriages looked like a squash to get on.

Still manageable
17-09-2018, 15:20   #594
Decuc500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonker View Post

That would be the benefit of the commuter stopping at Clongriffen in between Darts. The commuters stopping just means that two Darts this morning wouldn't have been as busy as last week.

If you have a look at twitter from this morning, there's still lots of 4 carriage darts in rush hour causing crush load capacity and people are still struggling even to get on trains at Killester.

The new timetable relying on short rush hour darts can never work.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-09-2018, 16:40   #595
Conchir

This time on the 08:41 from Howth was by far the busiest of the 4 I've gotten. Is it likely that these trains in the mornings are staying as 4 carriages? I want to like this timetable and see it work well, because I think 10 minute frequency is great.
17-09-2018, 16:53   #596
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
Surely, since the issues seem to be overwhelmingly on the Northside, they need to run some longer ones there even if it means taking one from the southside? We don't know if they could cope but we do know that the Northside can't cope. Killester, where I am, seems to be suffering the worst after eight.
17-09-2018, 21:26   #597
Jamie2k9

Was on the 05.40 ex Sligo this morning and had to wait 7 minutes to get a clear path into P4 in Connolly. Thew new 08.00 ex Maynooth is the biggest f up in the timetable. Needs to be 5-10 mins earlier.
(2) thanks from:
17-09-2018, 21:44   #598
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9
Was on the 05.40 ex Sligo this morning and had to wait 7 minutes to get a clear path into P4 in Connolly. Thew new 08.00 ex Maynooth is the biggest f up in the timetable. Needs to be 5-10 mins earlier.
I agree with that as do most passengers id say on the Maynooth line , it's too late for most people and it's causing cramming conditions on the earlier service ex Maynooth as a result .

It's not helping that Irish rail are holding it until the Sligo train departs Maynooth and as a result is delaying it further. It should be leaving Maynooth ahead of the Sligo train.
Thanks from:
17-09-2018, 22:58   #599
Deviso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoy View Post
Surely, since the issues seem to be overwhelmingly on the Northside, they need to run some longer ones there even if it means taking one from the southside? We don't know if they could cope but we do know that the Northside can't cope. Killester, where I am, seems to be suffering the worst after eight.
Killester is probably the worst, people can't get on. At least by Clontarf a lot of people start to get off.
17-09-2018, 23:34   #600
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
I agree with that as do most passengers id say on the Maynooth line , it's too late for most people and it's causing cramming conditions on the earlier service ex Maynooth as a result .

It's not helping that Irish rail are holding it until the Sligo train departs Maynooth and as a result is delaying it further. It should be leaving Maynooth ahead of the Sligo train.
On Twitter Irish Rail said no planned changes to Maynooth timetable, i.e. "suck it up princess". Meanwhile Malahide and southside DARTs are the big winners at everyone else's expense.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion