Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Yi dashcam - €44 to your door

• 13-10-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey.

Link to camera

Annoying Grey colour, but apart from that, for €44 to your door, it's a great price.

Apply code at checkout: OMII9RWN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fantastic price. I don't have this camera, but I've had other Xiaomi cameras and they are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

I've been using this cam as a front dashcam and the quality is very good. Think I paid double the price for it so at €44 it's a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

€42.48 using a Revolut card. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Are we sure this is an original Xiaomi Yi product?

I can't see 'Xiaomi' written somewhere in the text, only brand:Yi, Model:Xiaoyi CAR DVR.

inel wrote: »
    Are we sure this is an original Xiaomi Yi product?

I can't see 'Xiaomi' written somewhere in the text, only brand:Yi, Model:Xiaoyi CAR DVR.

It isn't actually 'Xioami', the cameras are 'Yi' -

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/2/17/yi-dash-cam-review.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

It isn't actually 'Xioami', the cameras are 'Yi' -

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2016/2/17/yi-dash-cam-review.html
    I'm sure you'll find that the Multi-billion Xiaomi owns a chunk of them at least. They are advertised as Xiaomi Yi dashcams on GB, along with other sellers. Anyway, let's see what it's like when it arrives. I've taken a punt and I'm confident I won't be disappointed :)

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll find that the Multi-billion Xiaomi owns a chunk of them at least. Anyway, let's see what it's like when it arrives. I've taken a punt and I'm confident I won't be disappointed :)

I think Xiao is the parent company, Mi is their tablet and phone range and Yi the cameras giving us Xiaomi and Xiaoyi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are these Chinese language only? Saw similar before but no english menus on them.

Are these Chinese language only? Saw similar before but no english menus on them.

International version -
    Are the menus in chinese or english? same for the documention/box. thanks
    Answer: The camera is international version. All the menus and instructions are in English.
    By YI Europe SELLER on 08 August 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have been after a decent cheap dash cam, so this looks ideal, thanks op. Just need to find a suction mount for it now, not mad on sticky pad on the windscreen.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I have been after a decent cheap dash cam, so this looks ideal, thanks op. Just need to find a suction mount for it now, not mad on sticky pad on the windscreen.

This is (according to amazon) frequently bought by customers who purchased that cam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-SC60-Windscreen-Profile-Suitable-Amacam-Black/dp/B01DWXK4P2/ref=pd_cart_pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DWXK4P2&pd_rd_r=GJW5561C3AEXG4XMJ6J6&pd_rd_w=pxaFm&pd_rd_wg=Ebo8e&psc=1&refRID=GJW5561C3AEXG4XMJ6J6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Plascebo wrote: »

Yeah, saw that, stupidly only after I'd ordered, wasn't paying enough attention, (it's everywhere!) I will order it next time I need something else from amazon to make up the p and p.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Always tempted to get a dashcam. Do people unmount it every time they park in a public place in case someone smash and grabs?

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Always tempted to get a dashcam. Do people unmount it every time they park in a public place in case someone smash and grabs?

No. Never heard of any cam being stolen in this way. They're not worth enough to steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Yeah, saw that, stupidly only after I'd ordered, wasn't paying enough attention, (it's everywhere!) I will order it next time I need something else from amazon to make up the p and p.
    Could you add it to your existing order?

You can cancel the order and just reorder with the mount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Any idea how long these get off a full charge, cigarette lighter thing is broken in my car

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Any idea how long these get off a full charge, cigarette lighter thing is broken in my car

Not long I would assume. A lot only allow for 30 minutes of battery. They are not designed to be used without a power source though, the battery function is usually used when parked or in case there is a sudden temporary loss of power. Generally it is best to wire these cameras into the fuse box directly. (Or get someone who knows what they're doing to do so). The charger from the cig lighter is a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

Be careful. This camera takes micro USB... those are mini.

Well spotted Alan. Link to a cheaphard wire kit - micro USB with the right angled connector for under 4 quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LWM3XG3/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507921378&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=micro+usb+hardwire+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=51XeKNZhRwL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Chloe0925

Thanks op , ordered one

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jc77

Fanny **** wrote: »

In Q&A section, it says it will record for 10 seconds after engine is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jc77

Can this record/display speed on footage & GPS co-ordinates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

jc77 wrote: »

Not according to reviews

jc77 wrote: »

Nope,only day and time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I bought one of these a few months back. It's a good camera but I did have some problems with the focus which you can't adjust. I bought a CPL filter to remove the dash reflection and flashed a custom firmware to increase the bitrate of the video which helped a lot.

For that price it's a bargain, tempted to get a second as a rear cam.

Edit: it doesn't come with an SD card and there's no internal storage so make sure and pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

I have one of these aswell, the quality is excellent, you can easily pick up regs on cars passing at speed in opposite direction.
    I covered mine with black insulating tape for the stealth look, it's not the smallest but excellent for the price, I paid double that a few months ago.

It comes with a very long cable. I've it plugged into the sub on my radio and it switches on/off with the ignition. As stated, it only stays on for a few seconds when not plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Another Xiaomi thing? The rate they're going here they'll need their own boards or Xiaomi.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just picked one up, thanks OP!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    64GB. but unless you need to record large amounts of data for a specific reason, 16GB should be fine.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    I bought a CPL filter to remove the dash reflection and flashed a custom firmware to increase the bitrate of the video which helped a lot.

Any chance you have a link to the CPL filter you got?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have two of these,paid 64 for each,have had expensive ones,never again ,these are great

Mine arrived this morning, can't find the bloody 32gb card I had lying around so can't test it yet (and won't start with class 4 card inserted). The power adapter has only one USB port. Lidl often has 2.1amp two-port jobs with a lower profile for a fiver.

• Advertisement

Mine arrived this morning, can't find the bloody 32gb card I had lying around so can't test it yet (and won't start with class 4 card inserted). The power adapter has only one USB port. Lidl often has 2.1amp two-port jobs with a lower profile for a fiver.

Mine landed yesterday. Not opened it yet. 32GB class 10 sitting waiting to be popped in. Will get to it tomorrow. Never bought the recommended suction adapter. Kenny, as Brad pitt famously once said "What's in the BOX!!!!????" :)

Just had a test run. Quality is pretty good and wireless transfer is handy, but slow. Reviewing via the app is also very handy, and works while recording.
    My car has constant 12v at the socket, so I would have to figure something out here. Was thinking about sacrificing one of the overhead lights and its switch as a source of switchable power.
    The size, shape and mount make this a bit too clunky and obtrusive for full time use IMHO so not sure if I'll bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

CSSE09 wrote: »
    and flashed a custom firmware to increase the bitrate of the video which helped a lot.

How did you do this? any particular firmware?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Just had a test run. Quality is pretty good and wireless transfer is handy, but slow. Reviewing via the app is also very handy, and works while recording.
    My car has constant 12v at the socket, so I would have to figure something out here. Was thinking about sacrificing one of the overhead lights and its switch as a source of switchable power.
    The size, shape and mount make this a bit too clunky and obtrusive for full time use IMHO so not sure if I'll bother.

the transcend suction cup mount fits these, I swapped my one over to that and its much much better.
    Halfrauds stock them

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/transcend-suction-mount

Not sure if you will bother keeping it ? or using it full time ? is it down to you power issue or is it just to big

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feedback Kenny. If you are looking for a 12V on ignition, just tap into the internal fuse panel (assuming there is one in your car)

Not sure if you will bother keeping it ? or using it full time ? is it down to you power issue or is it just to big

The power could be sorted in an hour or so, but the camera and mount would still be very visible both from inside and outside the car so I'm not sure it's worth the effort (IMHO). If it was more discreet I would wire it in and forget about it.

Is there no suction pad in the box?

No. 3M sticky pad only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

What language is you cameras? Mine is in Chinese and do the know how to swap to english via new firmware

padair wrote: »
    What language is you cameras? Mine is in Chinese and do the know how to swap to english via new firmware

Jasus lads, I hope I did not sell yis a pup. :o

dodzy wrote: »
    Jasus lads, I hope I did not sell yis a pup. :o

I'm just looking at the Amazon sellers questions and about a year ago someone asked: Q Are the menus in chinese or english? same for the documention/box. thanks

And the Answer :
    A: The camera is international version. All the menus and instructions are in English.

I will have a look at it, If needed I will send it back to Amazon.

Not OPs fault, good bargain, put prob no the best idea to impulse buy stuff...

• Advertisement
Advertisement