Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Yi dashcam - €44 to your door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randomname2005

d31b0y wrote: »
    I'm finding the focus to be a bit crap. No options to change in the settings, on a first cursory glance. I haven't done much playing with it. Low light with a bit of rain, focus is on the windshield and you get nothing but blur ahead of you. Maybe I am being fussy...
    (Quality still processing)

Do you think the blur is too much to be used as supporting evidence if it was needed for a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I don't know what the insurance company requirements are in this case so best guess but I'd say it's probably fine in 99% of situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Give the wipers a swish now and then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

d31b0y wrote: »
    I'm finding the focus to be a bit crap. No options to change in the settings, on a first cursory glance. I haven't done much playing with it. Low light with a bit of rain, focus is on the windshield and you get nothing but blur ahead of you. Maybe I am being fussy...
    (Quality still processing)

You managed to avoid the 🦊 that ran across in front of you anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Mounted mine on the front of the rear viewer mirror using the 3M sticker that came with it.
    Happy enough with it but is there an editing app or whatever for Android or do I have to put them on a PC?
    Very tidy camera but not going to hardwire it until I get a sense of where best to focus it.
    How long should I expect from a 16gb sd card at 1080/ 30fps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Mounted mine on the front of the rear viewer mirror using the 3M sticker that came with it.
    Happy enough with it but is there an editing app or whatever for Android or do I have to put them on a PC?
    Very tidy camera but not going to hardwire it until I get a sense of where best to focus it.

The app allows you to trim the section that you want before downloading it to your phone. No idea about recording times sorry.

I'm getting about 2.5hrs at the Maximum 2K resolution with a 32GB card, each 3 minute file for me is 444MB, what size are your 3 minute files? I've bought two of them from Amazon now for £29.99 each and fitted the second to a family members car tonight but like yourself will hard wire it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

It keeps a section that isn't overwritten for the emergency footage from a bump, and if you don't clear it put it fills the card, so just remember to clear it regularly. Even though I have my sensitivity set to low it still records when I hit a pothole. Which based on the roads I drive, is a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'm getting about 2.5hrs at the Maximum 2K resolution with a 32GB card, each 3 minute file for me is 444MB, what size are your 3 minute files? I've bought two of them from Amazon now for £29.99 each and fitted the second to a family members car tonight but like yourself will hard wire it later.
    Files are around 156 MB for 1.5 minutes. Do I drag the slide to extend how much time I want to download on the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Doltanian wrote: »
    I've bought two of them from Amazon now for £29.99 each and fitted the second to a family members car tonight but like yourself will hard wire it later.

Are they difficult to hardwire yourself? What extra equipment would I need ?

• Advertisement

Are they difficult to hardwire yourself? What extra equipment would I need ?

You'd want to be reasonably competent in what your doing for sure. I've decided against attempting it myself and spoke to my mechanic and he will hardwire it for me, hard wiring a dashcam poses two questions, do you go for continuous power or a switched ignition system?

Continuous power would allow for the dashcam to record whilst your parked but it poses the risk of flattening the battery, it also means you will have to start and stop your camera manually which could be annoying. If you wanted continuous recording you'd want to look into a separate battery source which are available. It would be something for a more higher end dashcam than the YI, but would be advisable if your driving a fairly new or expensive car, as it would capture any hit and run and carpark prang etc.

I am going to go for the ignition system myself and my mechanic is planning to draw power from the power supply to the radio which is ignition switched, this way the camera is totally hardwired and I need never do anything, it will start and stop recording with the ignition. The Audio beeb will alert me to it starting and stopping.

However you must bear in mind that cars are usually 12v and sometimes 24v but the Xiaomi Yi Dashcam like a whole host of portable electronics require 5v so I am ordering this step down 12v to 5v Micro USB from Amazon, and there is also a cable which allows you to tap a fuse also if continuous power were needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0756TGZLV/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&smid=A12GP82STC5192&th=1

The biggest thing for me is that the horrible wiring gets hidden away out of sight and not be dangling down to the cigarette lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Thanks OP and Doltanian. Just ordered one and integrated cable. Didnt use code but there was some deal on that just finished. Managed to get both the cam and cable for EUR44:o. Have to add EUR 3.50 to that for address pal tho as cable doesn't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Bazsutto wrote: »
    Thanks OP and Doltanian. Just ordered one and integrated cable. Didnt use code but there was some deal on that just finished. Managed to get both the cam and cable for EUR44:o. Have to add EUR 3.50 to that for address pal tho as cable doesn't ship to Ireland.

Be careful on the cable as it may come from china and if you ordered both togeither then you may be charged twice for address pal.
    My cable cheap one can from china but used parcel wizard and ordered dash cam on a different order as it delivered directly to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Having read none of the thread, it this a good cam?

May get one as a pressie for someone, is it missing any good features? Anything essential?

Or should I go for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

jhud wrote: »
    Be careful on the cable as it may come from china and if you ordered both togeither then you may be charged twice for address pal.
    My cable cheap one can from china but used parcel wizard and ordered dash cam on a different order as it delivered directly to me.

The cable I ordered is fulfilled by Amazon so it is at one of their warehouses. They are picked to be shipped together and arriving on Monday.

Thanks for the heads up tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Invincible

Invincible wrote: »
    Good offer on Samsung 64GB Evo Micro SD card on MyMemory presently, using discount code VC5, £18.95, compared to £22.84 on Amaz0n

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/samsung-64gb-evo-plus-micro-sd-card-sdxc-adapter-100mb-s.html

Arrived today,£18.95 delivered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Everyone happy with theirs?

Or if buying again would you buy different?

Kuva wrote: »
    Everyone happy with theirs?

Or if buying again would you buy different?

Very happy with mine and its a perfect dashcam with great picture quality (The most important aspect of any dashcam) and the price is unbeatable and those cheaper camera like you'd see in Dunnes Stores for €15 pale in comparison in terms of picture quality.

If my car was newer and more valuable and my mileage higher enough to justify it I'd go for maybe a similar cam with GPS and speed built-in that would record whilst parked with a secondary power supply wired in the boot with forward and rear camera. However you'd be looking at a €200 to €300 investment so not worth it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I bought one over a year ago at full price and have been using it ever since, love it even at that price I'm happy. Never had an issue with it so bought another at the sale price.

Tbh I am a big fan of Xiaomi stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Just installed it on Friday. Great quality recoding. App is useful also. Great bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

During the cold weather mine was resetting itself but it seems to have stopped that now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    This is down to €37 to your door. Just hit the promo link to reduce the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G

Who's affiliate code is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Boards.ie remove any affiliate links and add their own, so if there is one, then it is Boards.ie's. But I don't see any on that link.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Boards.ie remove any affiliate links and add their own, so if there is one, then it is Boards.ie's. But I don't see any on that link.

I removed it in the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

What are you referring to Kenny?

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    What are you referring to Kenny?

tag=ho01f-21 is an affiliate code. Somebody earns a percentage from every sale from clicking that.

Advertisement