Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2017

Options
  • 05-10-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've just signed up, bought the flights to Amsterdam and now I start thinking about accomodation.

I'm flying in on the Friday and making a bit of a mini family break with the kids.

Has anyone done Rotterdam before, what's the city like to stay in, is it worth basing ourselves there and exploring Amsterdam or should we just stay there for the night before and night of, heading back to Amsterdam for a few more days?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Done it this year. Lovely marathon, nice and flat. Some boring parts but a nice finish.

100% get out of Rotterdam as soon as you can! There's nothing in it for anyone as far as I could tell. It's not a bad place, its just meh. (IMO)

We hopped on a train after the marathon and went to Amsterdam for 2 nights. Amsterdam is expensive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Did this in April also. Two nights and stayed in Rotterdam. The marathon was excellent lovely and flat did not find too boring but could see why it could be - ran with a mate who had bad experiences in previous marathons who was trying to break 3.30 and we came in 3.25. This helped to make a good weekend. Plenty bars and restaurants but I would not imagine a whole lot for kids. Trains back to Amsterdam are frequent and reasonable if you want to base your selves there. Weather was spot on this year.

The important question is would I do it again? Yes and maybe next year!

MacSwifty

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Thanks for that. I think I'll spend the minimum amount of time in Rotterdam, maybe Saturday and Sunday night and get back to Amsterdam for a couple of days of sightseeing.

I did Berlin last week and although I got a PB, I'm chasing another hence the entry to Rotterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I think I'll spend the minimum amount of time in Rotterdam, maybe Saturday and Sunday night and get back to Amsterdam for a couple of days of sightseeing.

I did Berlin last week and although I got a PB, I'm chasing another hence the entry to Rotterdam.

Check out the Rotterdam 2016 thread, loads of info on that. Ran it myself, great marathon but I am going to say that as it was my first marathon. Support is sparse in one or two spots, not really a sightseers marathon not that I was looking for that. I didn't find congestion an issue at the start but some have in previous years. Plenty of water/aid stations and sponge stations that I made full use of. Weather can get hot but wasn't an issue this year. Murphys was the port of call post race this year with plenty of other Irish runners and Boardsies there after. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

tang1 wrote: »
    Check out the Rotterdam 2016 thread, loads of info on that. Ran it myself, great marathon but I am going to say that as it was my first marathon. Support is sparse in one or two spots, not really a sightseers marathon not that I was looking for that. I didn't find congestion an issue at the start but some have in previous years. Plenty of water/aid stations and sponge stations that I made full use of. Weather can get hot but wasn't an issue this year. Murphys was the port of call post race this year with plenty of other Irish runners and Boardsies there after. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for that, greatly appreciate it. I'm looking at staying in the Ibis - seems to be close to the start and finish.

• Advertisement

Lostnfound wrote: »
    Thanks for that, greatly appreciate it. I'm looking at staying in the Ibis - seems to be close to the start and finish.

Plenty of good hotel options just off the Coolsingel. Be aware if travelling by rail that carriages are broken into 1st and 2nd class, don't get on a 1st class carriage if you have a 2nd class ticket, liable to an on the spot fine if found. Carriages are marked 1 and 2 but you don't always look when in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »

Of course the support was sparse, didn't you finish in the dark :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Does anyone know if this fills up early?

Doing Frankfurt at the end of the month and not aiming to run by anything other than HR

But looking at Rotterdam as my final tilt at sub 3.
    I plan on seeing how the body handles Frankfurt first before committing.

Does anyone know if this fills up early?

Doing Frankfurt at the end of the month and not aiming to run by anything other than HR

But looking at Rotterdam as my final tilt at sub 3.
    I plan on seeing how the body handles Frankfurt first before committing.

Didn't fill up early last year, was still entry available in Jan/Feb this year as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Did the marathon this year and have fond memories. Flew into Amsterdam and stayed Sat & Sun in Rotterdam and Mon & Tue in Amsterdam. Very easy to get to from I quite liked Rotterdam myself, some interesting buildings and enjoyed what small bit of walking around I did the day before and day of the marathon. Thought the marathon was great, bit hot towards the end though and a bit of a boring stretch through a park. Got quite badly burnt. We stayed in CitizenM and my parents stayed in the Mainport - both worked out really well.

• Advertisement

Facebook trumpeted 10,000 entrants so I've panicked and entered now. (Probably counting all races across the weekend)
    Will have to hide that from the wife for a few weeks.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ahhh Rotterdam..... :D:D
    Did it this year and liked it a lot. I stayed in Rotterdam(about 4 days in total I think), and liked it. If you take the time to explore a bit it's lovely. Between the
    architecture, waterways/boats ect shopping, there's plenty to do/see.. Don't know about what would be available for kids, I'm sure there'd be something if you looked into it.

A trip up on the Euromast tower is recommended, brilliant views, especially on a nice day(took me a while to get the nerve to go right up to the top :) )

Murphys was a grand spot, bingo on tuesday nights :D:D

I stayed in the Art hotel in Maashaven. Nice hotel and food was exceptional. It's a little further out but stlll on 5 mins on metro(station outside the hotel door).

Rotterdam as a Marathon I would recommend. If you want to see Amsterdam too, a 50/50 split would be a good compromise.

PS The water in the cups isn't hard to deal with. I was a bit worried going into it but was told bringing a short straw would be a good help. I ended up forgetting to bring a straw but managed fine. There's a sponge/foam top in the cups with 2 "V"s cup out. One large and one small. I had no problems drinking out od the large V with a gentle squeeze of cup...

Good times......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I lost my mind yesterday evening and registered. Hopefully the marathon that broke my last spell of consistency can get me going this time around. Made a ludicrous pen selection considering where I am right now but in for a penny...

Anymore boardsies targeting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Considering this one too. Stayed in Rotterdam last year and liked the place. Have a mate working there so would be a good excuse to head over to see him and complete my second marathon.

Paddy Murphy's is a great spot too btw - I'd know, I basically spent the full week there :D

Edit. Registered. See you there boardsies :D

Considering this one too. Stayed in Rotterdam last year and liked the place. Have a mate working there so would be a good excuse to head over to see him and complete my second marathon.

Paddy Murphy's is a great spot too btw - I'd know, I basically spent the full week there :D

Edit. Registered. See you there boardsies :D

Excellent username btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Excellent username btw

Who wouldn't run from the Western District ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Just entered this, ran my PB there in 2012. I still live in fear of the park section, really tough going. Last time we have people over with water in bottles, as the cups aren't ideal. Trying to get less-fat and fitter before xmas before going into a marathon training programme in the new year - Sub 2:45 will be the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Doing Rotterdam aye, looking forward to it.  Done London twice and a Kent one so first trip abroad (based in London). Heard it is a quick course so weather permitting and injury free it should be a good one I hope.  Just over 5 weeks to my taper, coming around quickly now.

I've had 12 weeks of savage training. PBs falling all over the place. Optimistic Garmin telling me I can run 2:38 and then a cold struck. Laid up for the past week. I'm hoping to resume on Monday without too much loss

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

I've had 12 weeks of savage training. PBs falling all over the place. Optimistic Garmin telling me I can run 2:38 and then a cold struck. Laid up for the past week. I'm hoping to resume on Monday without too much loss
    Some times an enforced rest can work really well in my experience.  I had all sorts of injuries during January and Feb last year, PF, achilles etc etc, was with physio for about 8 weeks in a row, was just about fully right in time for London, felt fresh as a daisy and ran 12 minutes quicker than planned

I'd say you could well come back stronger Ricky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

No harm having a week off, particularly after a good spell (risking overdoing it etc.). Better to get cold out of the way now!

Great goal, best of luck with training. You will have a fair bit of company at that pace in Rotterdam so plenty of groups to work with.

To be honest I'm thrilled it's a cold rather than an injury. I must be feeling better cos I'm giving out about not running whereas I've not contemplated anything for the previous few days. Too miserable

The goal is actually 2:55 but the race predictor on the Garmin has translated training runs into a 2:38 finish. I'm smiling condescendingly at it and sticking to the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

If anyone is unable to do Rotterdam and has a entry available, I would be interested. (I believe they allow transfers)

Back on the horse with a solid but cautious 90km this week

I was thinking of doing the AD City Run (4.2km) on the Saturday
    Has anyone done this before?
    I'm only doing this to kill a bit of time and shake out the legs but just want to make sure it's an adult run
    I don't want to be the 'and finally' piece on Dutch news. 'Look at the idiot who joined in a kid's run in full racing kit....'

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I was thinking of doing the AD City Run (4.2km) on the Saturday
    Has anyone done this before?
    I'm only doing this to kill a bit of time and shake out the legs but just want to make sure it's an adult run
    I don't want to be the 'and finally' piece on Dutch news. 'Look at the idiot who joined in a kid's run in full racing kit....'
    According to the website its for over 12s so you shouldn't be too embarrassed :). Not heading over until Sat afternoon so will not make it,

According to the website its for over 12s so you shouldn't be too embarrassed :). Not heading over until Sat afternoon so will not make it,

Entered it today. May as well make the most of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I'll be there from Friday, maybe consider this for the craic.

How is everyone fixed? Just over 2 weeks to go, all getting real. Taper madness just setting in, I'm starting to worry about misshapen toe nails....

I think I'll be alright
    I've missed a couple of weeks in total but I'll have over 100 miles at sub 3 pace in my legs and a couple of long 20 milers done come race day
    Still cacking it though. I've never put this much effort into training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I think I'll be alright
    I've missed a couple of weeks in total but I'll have over 100 miles at sub 3 pace in my legs and a couple of long 20 milers done come race day
    Still cacking it though. I've never put this much effort into training

If I can give you any advise, it would be to relax. Seriously. Over stressing it will drive you mad, compromise your performance and burn up energy. Get to the start healthy, relax and give it bata

Good luck

TbL

Advertisement