Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Listowel Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Is the store called "Crowley's" just off the town square still there? As I remember it was somewhere close to John B. Keane's place.

We'd come into town from Ballybunion, turn right onto a long wide street, (Tuesday was market day and the market was on the right.)

At the end of that long street the Irish Tourist Board had on office at the corner on the right hand side of the street.

Turn right at the Irish Tourist Board onto a short narrow street ... :confused: ... I think that's where Keane's and Crowley's was.

And then turn left to the Church square/town square.

That's about all I remember. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hey - I will have to start asking Bord Failte (Irish tourist board) for some conmmission :D

Here is a link to Kerry/Listowel - :rolleyes:
    http://www.kerryguide.com/listowel/index.html

:eek: Not more stuff! I'm still studying the pictures from Ballybunion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I like Listowel, still getting to know it. The only thing I find disconcerting about it is that when I go "downtown" there in the afternoon, the pubs are full already, and when I go out there for an evening, everyone's already drunk when I get there! BIG drinking culture there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MissT

Hey,
    Just saw the 'listowel thread' am actually looking for info on a guy from listowel, screwed a friend of mine over recently, wont get into details yet, but its a pretty interesting story!. Dont want to give his full details out. HIs name is Eddie, he is a physio in Cork- if you have any info let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Listowel + Fleadh Cheoil = insane :D The pubs stay open all weekend. I know some people who went into the pub on the Friday night and didn't surface til Sunday morning :eek:

tinkerbell wrote:
    Crowleys is no longer there - it was bought by the toy shop, but then it was sold again a few years later. Now it's a furniturey-type shop.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember the Crowley's being nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
    Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

Crowleys was at the bottom of William Street.Mrs. Crowley taught at the Listowel Boys National School, when Bryan MacMahon was master and Frank Sheehy was head master.
    Snow Scorpion: See you on the Ballybunion thread.

Hi, Sandhill. We always have room for someone new in The Ballybunion thread. tgif.gif I check in there at least once a day,

WIiliam Street. I'll have to remember that. I don't know the names of any of the streets in Listowel. Whenever we went there, we just parked the car by the church in the Town Square or the Church Square or whatever was called.

Last time I saw Crowley's the outside of the store was painted a pale yellow and the sign about the door was pale yellow and pale green.

Hello Snow Scorpion.
    William Street is the street where John B Keanes pub is.
    The Church Square was always called "The Square" ,off of that was the 'SMALL SQUARE"( sometimes called Main Street) Jutting off that were 2 long streets: WILLIAM STREET and CHURCH STREET.
    William Street took you on the way to Ballybunion and Church Street took you to Tarbert /Limerick.
    Regards,SANDHILLROAD

• Advertisement

I was in John Keane's place a couple times when I was a kid with my dad and my uncle.

We went to Ballyb far more often than Listowel.

A couple times we went to the market in Listowel when my uncle was selling some heifers and a litter of bonhams.

I'm pretty sure there was railraod crossing near Listowel on the road from Ballyb.

The Rhinebeck Antiques Center
    7 West Market Street
    Rhinebeck
    New York
    12572. USA
    (845)876-5555
    Thursday -Monday 10:00AM-5:00PM

We are smack in the middle of the village at the traffic lights. Across from the Hotel.

Please mention BOARDS.IE in subject line of email.

For driving directions call us during shop hours.
    We have a ceramic Irish Directional Road Signpost ( not for sale!) in the side window of the store I am amazed at how many people want to buy it, or have been in my home town. Come see for yourself and see where we are from !

Hi Snow Scorpion,
    Why Crowley's ?

SNOW SCORPION:
    Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
    Sandhillroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Was in Listowel last night. Some craic there. Took part in the all-Ireland wren boy competition. Had a brilliant music session in the Listowel Arms after. Mighty!!

SNOW SCORPION:
    Here is Listowel during the fair days that I told you about.
    Sandhillroad.

eek2.gif

Crowley's ???????

Crowley's ???????

Yerra, sure there's no big deal about Crowley's a'tall a'tall. (How's my Kerry brogue? :D ) It's just the store I remember the most clearly. The Crowley's were friends of the family is all.

Did you know DeDe ( forget how he spells it) Crowley? .
    He went to school with my brothers in Listowel.
    The brogue is fine,
    I have a fellow from Ballybunion( top of Church Road) that comes into the store here and you could cut the brogue with an knife.
    I am still trying to picture DEENIHAN'S, what did they sell?

• Advertisement

Did you know DeDe ( forget how he spells it) Crowley? .
    He went to school with my brothers in Listowel.
    The brogue is fine,
    I have a fellow from Ballybunion( top of Church Road) that comes into the store here and you could cut the brogue with an knife.
    I am still trying to picture DEENIHAN'S, what did they sell?

Sorry, I don't know the names of any of the Crowley's. My mom and grandmother knew them fairly well, but they're both gone now.

Deenihan's was (or maybe still is) a little shop just west of the six rows of caravans you see in the Google Earth picture. A small general store ... I think, but I'm not sure there were black and white tiles outside the store underneath the front window. Every week, we'd go into the village so my grandmother could pick up "her messages." In other words, the weekly groceries. Deenihan's was basically a small ... very small supermarket. You got your basic groceries in there. (Whenever I'd wander into the town on my own, I'd always stop in and get a Choc-Ice for 4p.)

The old man was Vincent, but everyone called him Veenie (or maybe that was just the Kerry accent.) I forget his wife's name but he had at least two daughters Mina who became Mina Wolfe. I think she became a schoolteacher. And Joan - she married a farmer Mike O'Donnell who lived a couple miles east of the village on the Listowel Road. If you know the Francis Road, O'Donnell's farm was just a little west of there, on the south side of the Listowel Road.

Here's the switch where the Francis Road and the Listowel Road intersect:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/43011/15664.JPG

Now that I think about it, Veenie used to raise a pheasants if that's any help to you. He had a lot of pheasants behind the store: big coops of them.

Remember these in Listowel ??

:confused: Don't remember the maid.

The Square I remember well. One time when I was a kid we all went Listowel and parked the car there in the square.

My brother and I eventually wandered back with our supply of candy and comic books - Beano, Beezer, Cor!, there were a bunch of them that all looked kinda the same.

Anyway, my uncle shows up and the three of us wait in the car for my mother and grandmother to come wandering back (maybe from Crowley's! :D ) and while we're waiting a tinker shows up looking for money, and my uncle says in a thick Kerry brogue, "Go 'way, ya hoor ya!"

It took me ten minutes to figure out what a "hoor" was. smiley_devilsmile.gif

To see The Maid of Erin, you woild ahve to look up. It is in Main Street (aka Small Square) in what used to be called Mortimor GALVIN's--best ice cream cone back in the 50s /60s.
    Now has new owner for the past couple of years.
    Maid was our first lesson in female anatomy !!
    Curly Connors Pub
    Miss Dowlings newsagents in Main Street
    Murrys Shop with religous articles for sale
    Mike the pies
    Jet Stack
    Bunny Dalton Band
    Leahy's Clothing store in Market Street
    MaryBs Hotel
    Miss. Scanlon -our first teacher
    Mrs. Crowley -our second teacher.
    Bryan MacMahon
    Frank Sheehy
    Scoil Realta na Maidne
    St Michaels (Fr.Long)
    PRINCE MONOLULU ?????????
    We need those memories of Listowel so talk with Mam,Dad, Grand Ma and Grandad, Aunt and Uncle.

See their memories in print, 'cause when you and I are old you wish you had asked them to tell about their younger days.
    Ask them to rake their brains and let us know why it is called " LOVELY LISTOWEL"
    SHOW THEM THIS FORUM.
    Thanks a million.

Sandhill, look what I found

Thanks Snow Scorpion. Great photos and some angles I have not seen before.

1st photo;
    Maid of Erin is on the second floor wall of the pink building
    next to the blue building on the left side of photo ( That Is the Small Square or Main Street.). Continue on the left side and youcame to a left turn for William Street ( Crowley's, John Bs).

Yellow(real orange color house on corner of the square was called "Leahy's Corner"- a great gathering corner- you saw everything

Bank of Ireland was in the Square ( there were 2 other Banks in the square. The building on far end I think was called the National Bank.

The pink house with white trim is about 3 or 4 door LEFT of the Catholic Church. At the left of this house is The Bridge Road, leads to the Listowel bridge( over the River Feale ) and then a right to Tralee

sandhill, found a few more

Jeez, the house I stay in on my 3-monthly trip to Listowel, is only 1 mins walk from the railway. Willow Close.

reic wrote:
    Jeez, the house I stay in on my 3-monthly trip to Listowel, is only 1 mins walk from the railway. Willow Close.

Hello REIC
    WILLOW CLOSE must be a new estate since I was last there ,for any length of time.

Up to about 1972 I probably could name any house from the Square up to the National School at the top of Church St.
    There are a lot of new areas that are built up that I do not know.
    Hope you enjoy you visits to Listowel. Sorry I missed the Races Week.
    Thanks for the photo of Ballybunion. I lived in both towns , so both are dear to my heart.

• Advertisement

sandhill, found a few more
    Thanks SNOWSCORPION.
    The 1st photo includes The Bank Of ireland , National Bank, Dr. Corridens (red door). Mr. Gannons ( salmon color). All these buildings are in the Square.
    It is said that there is a secret passage that goes underground from the Castle in the Square, continues across the Square ( another entrance is by Dr. Corridens and continues up to the very top of Church Street ( there are ruins of a Church at the top of Church St). As a child we knew where the entrance was and also the place near Dr. Corridens- we ventured but not too far--those were the days before TV.
    In the Castle there was a chimney where we used to shimmy up and eventually be at the top of the castle ( if our parents found out we would be in deeptrouble).
    The photo of all the buildings together is from the Square ( from Leahy's Corner ( see the Green Letter Box) up to the Bank of Ireland).
    Re Ballybunion map:
    I do not know the name of the long road ( it is new to me).
    The one at top of Church Rd towards the Doon Rd , I always thought of it as Church Rd.
    I THINK that that is the 9 Daughters Hole, it seem to be in the are I remember-we all had to take a peek at one time or another.
    The man who owned the RAILWAY BAR was Michael G. Clancy and his wife Marguerite, his brother DEENY owned the farm up Doon Road on the left.( I made an error in an earlier thread).
    Thanks for the photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Awayyablaggard

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Look forward to hearing from you or others that may be able to help.

Hi Sandhillroad, yes, Willow Close is probably only 3 years old or thereabouts. There are an extra few house foundations gone in everytime I visit. If you're heading towards Tarbet and turn left at the old library building it's halfways up on the right, on the way to John B. Keane road.

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Hello,
    Which of Frank Sheehy's sons was your father ? L or J ? Sorry to hear of his passing( I am sure I knew him, knew one more than the other)- been so far away here in America we do not hear of all the deaths of Listowel people, except if they still lived in Listowel.Any relations still in LURGEN ?
    There are lots of past pupils out there of your grandfathers, so I hope they can contribute.
    you can reply if you wish to sheehyantiques@msn.com (no relation !) or continue here on the thread.

reic wrote:
    Hi Sandhillroad, yes, Willow Close is probably only 3 years old or thereabouts. There are an extra few house foundations gone in everytime I visit. If you're heading towards Tarbet and turn left at the old library building it's halfways up on the right, on the way to John B. Keane road.
    I used to take a short cut to Charles streed up by the side of the Library.
    On the second floor of the Library was where we first went to school and the next year we went across the road to the National School.
    Many the time I helped out Mrs. Sweeney at the library down stairs.
    You are a hop a skip and a jump from where my aunt and uncle lived
    The old church tower opposite the library was one of my 'hide outs'.
    I went to Scoil Realta na Maidine down the street and to St. Michaels up the road from the Graveyard.
    SNOWSCORPION put up a photo,within the past couple of threads, which is of the area 'the top of Church St' ( John R Walshes and Dillon's).

Sometimes I forget am I in the BALLYBUNION FORUM or the LISTOWEL FORUM !!
    Good luck .

LOL, whenever I'm in Listowel I take a walk past the tower, through the graveyard and around the park. The person I stayed with in Willow Close has now moved rural and moved into a house a few miles away near Duagh(?). I can't remember the townland name, begins with "T" but it's out in the "sticks"!

• Advertisement

reic wrote:
    LOL, whenever I'm in Listowel I take a walk past the tower, through the graveyard and around the park. The person I stayed with in Willow Close has now moved rural and moved into a house a few miles away near Duagh(?). I can't remember the townland name, begins with "T" but it's out in the "sticks"!
    I probably can't spell it but may the place near DUAGH is called TRIENERAGH ? My father owned a farm out there- it is out in the sticks but we spent many a happy summer holiday out there, cutting turf and saving hay. Over here in the USA instead of hay stacks the hay is rolled up like a gateaux cake.You probably pass my brother on his walks. The 'Park' was known as "The Cows' Lawn". Do they still have the tennis club there? I remember the Garden of Europe from my last visit in 1999.My town here is smaller than Listowel or Ballybunion, I hope you get the chance go to Ballybunion, drive down to the CASHEN (beyond the Golf Club), Great place to relax and read. Also Doon Rd ( SNOWSCORPIONS habitat) . Great view from up there looking over the town.Continue on to Asdee to visit "the Jesse James Pub",

Hi SandHillRoad,

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

POST ALSO IN THE BALLYBUNION FORUM OF ANYONE WHO WAS A PUPIL OF FRANK SHEEHY AT LISTOWEL NATIONAL SCHOOL.
    ==================================

THE ATTACHED PHOTO IS OF A BUILDING YOUR DAD (RIP) AND GRANDFATHER (RIP) SAW WHEN THEY WALKED OUT THEIR FRONT DOOR.

reic wrote:
    REIC,
    I am going to work on it ,but how do you embed a photo in your reply to a thread ( like you did of your black and white photos of ballybunionet ) Instead of always having the photo as an attachment
    Let me work on it for a while and see what I can come upwith

Hi SandhillRoad,

My father was Jack. Couldn't tell you where Leo is as nobody has heard from him in about 20 years or so. Unfortunately, Jack never was too good at keeping in touch with family and, as a result, my sisters and I never really knew that much about that side of the family...other than what my mother kept us informed about. When we all went to the opening of the Frank Sheehy park (about 24-25 years ago now I think) I met Frank's sister, Maureen and her daughters. After that, I only ever met them once again. I do recall that they lived in Northern Ireland but couldn't say exactly where.

Jack died about 15 years ago in Buncrana, Co. Donegal (where I used to live).

Thanks for the information regarding the BallyBunion forum - I'll try and get some information from there too.

Hi SandhillRoad,

My father was Jack. Couldn't tell you where Leo is as nobody has heard from him in about 20 years or so. Unfortunately, Jack never was too good at keeping in touch with family and, as a result, my sisters and I never really knew that much about that side of the family...other than what my mother kept us informed about. When we all went to the opening of the Frank Sheehy park (about 24-25 years ago now I think) I met Frank's sister, Maureen and her daughters. After that, I only ever met them once again. I do recall that they lived in Northern Ireland but couldn't say exactly where.

Jack died about 15 years ago in Buncrana, Co. Donegal (where I used to live).

Thanks for the information regarding the BallyBunion forum - I'll try and get some information from there too.
    Hello AWAY,
    Jack was the eldest. I did not know him, just of him.I spent my youth at the top of Church Street Listowel.3 doors from your Grandparents. Frank had another sister EILLY who had a shop there ( 105 Church St ?).It is interesting you Lived in Buncrana, as that is where Franks wife SUZY BARR( spelling?)came from. She was a tall beautiful woman.
    Frank's sister Maureen( a wonderful smile with rosy cheeks) lived in LURGAN . Maureen came to Church street every couple of years with her daughters ( not sure if there were any boys and I don't remember her husband visiting ). I think the eldest was Mary or Ann and maybe there was an Eilleen. McConville was Maureen's married name. She was good friends of my mothers and Aunt as children as they all lived close by each other. I have a photo of them( the McConvilles on one of their visits), but am not sure if it should be included in this forum. email sheehyantiques@msn.com and I can send to you---otherwise I will put as attachment here and deleate it as soon as you download it ---let me know ??).
    I shall ask my elder brothers for their memories of Frank.
    I know of 2 men in Listowel who I think are headmasters ,and shold be contacted,in Listowel National School ; John McAuliffe and Cathal Sandy.
    I have a brother near Dublin who meets with a couple of Listowel buddys now and then and they all were taught by Frank Sheehy and my eldest brother (USA) keeps in touch via email with his classmates)
    You should also visit Listowel during Writers Week or Listowel Races when a lot of Listowel people return for their visits to the home town.They would greet you with open arms. I also know someone who still lives across the road from Frank's home
    Try contacting KERRYSEYE (a newspaper and also on the net) WWW.KERRYSEYE.COM ( there is a section on Listowel : "FEEL OF THE FEALE" ( Listowel is on the River Feale). They would mention your search on info on Frank Sheehy. Is your mother still alive ?Will check back soon.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

I was taught by Frank [ Sheehy] in 5th. Class at Scoil Realte na Maidne in Listowel.
    I was at his Memorial Service at ProCathedral, Dublin in ~ 1963. Eilly Sheehy, his sister, had a sweet-shop 3 doors/houses from NanNan ( my gradndmother.)
    He had a nickname by ' the boys ' which I will later tell you.
    He was principal of the Upper Classes when Bryan MacMahon was principal of the younger classes.
    A contemporary of his ( Dick F. my teacher in 3rd. class) is still in Listowel.
    Best regards.
    Mairtin MacSithigh

SandHillRoad,

Thanks for the quick reply. The information you provided was very useful & I will hopefull use that as part of my initial research. I will certainly use the KERRYEYE link you provided.
    I only knew of Eileen in the sketchiest of terms; having met Maureen, I knew of her very smiley face and kind way.
    We lived in Buncrana for many years and lived in my grandmothers (Suzy Barr) parental home.

I will hopefully get in touch with those you hacve mentioned too but would welcome any other information from your brother and/or his friends. With regard to the photograph you mention, I will email you privately - thanks.

My mother is still very much alive thank God. She's from Buncrana in Donegal which would explain the continued connection and our history there.

AnBealBocht, thank you too for your contribution. Like above, it too will hopefully be used as a starting point for my research. All comments/contact are much appreciated - thanks again

Hello AWAYYABLAGGARD:

Glad to get the ball rolling ! This world is smaller on account of the computer. Smaller than you think.
    Glad to hear your mother is still with you . On a very very happy note :I know your mother and your Grandmother Meta o'L. !
    It has been over 30 years since I last saw or spoke to them.

Mention "HETTI MARTINI" to your mother ( Gloria ?). My very best regards to her.Fond memories of them both.Such a strange way to meet once again

sheehyantiques@msn.com for the photo of Maureen Sheehy's girls.

I probably can't spell it but may the place near DUAGH is called TRIENERAGH ? My father owned a farm out there- it is out in the sticks but we spent many a happy summer holiday out there, cutting turf and saving hay. Over here in the USA instead of hay stacks the hay is rolled up like a gateaux cake.You probably pass my brother on his walks. The 'Park' was known as "The Cows' Lawn". Do they still have the tennis club there? I remember the Garden of Europe from my last visit in 1999.My town here is smaller than Listowel or Ballybunion, I hope you get the chance go to Ballybunion, drive down to the CASHEN (beyond the Golf Club), Great place to relax and read. Also Doon Rd ( SNOWSCORPIONS habitat) . Great view from up there looking over the town.Continue on to Asdee to visit "the Jesse James Pub",

Yes! TRIENERAGH is the name of the place, thanks for that and I haven't been to Doon Rd in Ballybunion, will do so next time I'm there (a month or so) and take some pics of the view. Must also do a series of pics of streets in Listowel, cheers.

You probably know now how to embed pics, same way as Snow Scorpion said. Just click on the yellow button at the top of the reply page (insert image) and paste the URL of the picture there. I always use the "preview post" button, next to the reply button, just to make sure the picture posts ok.

REIC,
    I am working on the photo angle real hard !
    thanks for the info.
    Happy trails from Cork to Listowel.

So what's up in Listowel these days
    Listowel in the 1950s and 1960s ?
    Let's hear about "Lovely Listowel".
    The Plaza
    The Aster
    Walshes Ballroom
    McKennas Corner
    Scully's Corner
    Leahys's Corner
    PRINCE MONOLULU
    SIVE
    Swimming in the Feale
    Climb to the top of the Castle
    Etc.

Maybe some long lost Listowel friend will log on here.
    Thanks.

So what's up in Listowel these days

Hello CHAINREACTION :

Thanks for this thread.

sandhillroad

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that Frank , maybe Suzy too, spent some time in Saudi Arabia.

If I also remember the Sheehy Grave is right inside the entrance gates ( on the right side) to the old graveyard at the top of Church St in Listowel.
    Did Jack ever mention a woman AISHA ( she was from India)? She worked for Eilly Sheehy in the house as well as helping in the store.

Hello again SandHillRoad,

You're a mine of information!

You're also correct that the world is now VERY small - I never envisaged this conversation that's for sure!!

Meta is still doing well, although she is now 94 years old! My mother is Hilary, and my aunt is Gloria. I will certainly mention "HETTI MARTINI" to both of them but have to say that I am intrigued!!

Jack did mention Aisha (I recall him saying she was Turkish) and, if memory serves me correct, I met her when I went to Listowel some 24/5 years ago although she was quite ill at the time.

Frank & Suzy went to Africa in the early 1960's as Frank secured a teaching post there I understand.

I visited Frank's grave when I was there but am grateful for your directions as I am not so sure I could find it that easily without. I'm hoping to be there at Easter as I want to take my family there. My kids have been home a few times but never to Kerry - I'm hoping to have a wee holiday and do some research whilst there!

My mum is now frantic trying to work out who you are as you obviously know her and her family (you have her at a distinct advantage!) so she has asked that I email you! She'll check with Gloria about HETTI MARTINI as she doesn't recall the name herself.

:confused: Don't remember the maid.

The Square I remember well. One time when I was a kid we all went Listowel and parked the car there in the square.

My brother and I eventually wandered back with our supply of candy and comic books - Beano, Beezer, Cor!, there were a bunch of them that all looked kinda the same.

Anyway, my uncle shows up and the three of us wait in the car for my mother and grandmother to come wandering back (maybe from Crowley's! :D ) and while we're waiting a tinker shows up looking for money, and my uncle says in a thick Kerry brogue, "Go 'way, ya hoor ya!"

It took me ten minutes to figure out what a "hoor" was. smiley_devilsmile.gif
    Hi Snowscorpion,
    I think they must do some work on BOARDS.IE at approx 2-3Am ( Eire time)-it gets very sluggish.
    See attached photo of Main Street listowel circa 1950s 1960s

• Advertisement
Advertisement