Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Funds Local Authority Housing Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OCDee

Question for people who have been approved...Did you get approval over the phone or was it by post / letter?
    We've been waiting 12+ weeks since applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

OCDee wrote: »
    Question for people who have been approved...Did you get approval over the phone or was it by post / letter?

Post with Dublin city and South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LK1988

Ive heard of both, I have been hounding SDCC for an answer. Called yesterday and they said their credit committee is sitting today and on Monday so if I am in the Thursday batch they will be able to tell me tomorrow but then followed up with a letter.

What they say and what they do probably differs.

How are you contacting SDCC?

How are you contacting SDCC?

Just call them and ask to speak to somebody who can give you an update on a rebuilding ireland homeloan.

I call them all the time 014149000

I'm 10 weeks waiting.

• Advertisement

Thanks LK1988. I feel your pain, we've been waiting a very long time. First applied in February, Reapplied in April with  adjusted figures. We havn't heard a thing since. Can't seem to get any info from CC or helpline.

Thanks LK1988. I feel your pain, we've been waiting a very long time. First applied in February, Reapplied in April with  adjusted figures. We havn't heard a thing since. Can't seem to get any info from CC or helpline.

Ring and ask for Amy. Shes very good and will give you a straight answer.

LK1988 wrote: »

Ring and ask for Amy. Shes very good and will give you a straight answer.
    They were very nice on the phone but only deal with South County Dublin. We are based in Cork, we havn't been able to get much info from our own CC as regards our current status.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kavo87

Does anyone have the direct number for Fingal the number I got 018906752 keeps going straight to mailbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Got my response back yesterday after 10 weeks. Declined! Two reasons were given:
    • Not showing repayment capacity
    • Not showing source of savings

At a high level this scheme is a bit of a joke and a lottery it seems. For two banks two offer me mortgages in two to three week time frames (and with stricter criteria as they stress test your repayment capacity) and the Council spend ten weeks fannying about and offer nothing. Something is clearly wrong.

Few questions if anyone can help with:

1) Appealing Decision

To appeal the decision is it basically going through the same process again and waiting another 10 weeks? Or if there was a mistake made by the Council could it be looked into quicker?

2) Is it unusual to get an outright refusal with not even an offer for a lower amount?

When submitting the application the person I met in Fingal CC told me to put in the max amount allowed by their calculator. She worked it out. She said there was no harm putting in the max and they would still offer a lower amount.

My application included approval in principle letters from two banks. So it's mind boggling that the Council would give a blank refusal and not offer even a lower amount than I requested.

3) For anyone who got refused on showing source of savings. How did you deal with this in an appeal?

My submission included bank statements going back as far as my SSIA (Government Savings Scheme) which is over 10 years ago! All my savings have been accounted for. The lady who helped with my submission in Fingal was happy with it too. This makes me wonder if the underwriters/credit committee got all the documentation I submitted or that there has been some cock up along the line.

It is the same with displaying ability to repay. I included 12 months savings and rent statements that cover more than the amount I would need to repay.

It's not like the Council stress test your repayment capacity like a bank as the Government mortgage provides a guaranteed interest rate so the repayment amount will never change.

4) After a refusal. Did anyone meet face to face with the Council for a more detailed explanation of why they were refused and how the situation can be resolved to the satisfaction of the Council?

From my perspective my submission included documentation that displayed both repayment capacity and source of savings. Without further details from Council I'm snookered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

Got my response back yesterday after 10 weeks. Declined! Two reasons were given:

At a high level this scheme is a bit of a joke and a lottery it seems. For two banks two offer me mortgages in two to three week time frames (and with stricter criteria as they stress test your repayment capacity) and the Council spend ten weeks fannying about and offer nothing. Something is clearly wrong.

1) Appealing Decision

To appeal the decision is it basically going through the same process again and waiting another 10 weeks? Or if there was a mistake made by the Council could it be looked into quicker?

2) Is it unusual to get an outright refusal with not even an offer for a lower amount?

When submitting the application the person I met in Fingal CC told me to put in the max amount allowed by their calculator. She worked it out. She said there was no harm putting in the max and they would still offer a lower amount.

My application included approval in principle letters from two banks. So it's mind boggling that the Council would give a blank refusal and not offer even a lower amount than I requested.

3) For anyone who got refused on showing source of savings. How did you deal with this in an appeal?

My submission included bank statements going back as far as my SSIA (Government Savings Scheme) which is over 10 years ago! All my savings have been accounted for. The lady who helped with my submission in Fingal was happy with it too. This makes me wonder if the underwriters/credit committee got all the documentation I submitted or that there has been some cock up along the line.

It is the same with displaying ability to repay. I included 12 months savings and rent statements that cover more than the amount I would need to repay.

It's not like the Council stress test your repayment capacity like a bank as the Government mortgage provides a guaranteed interest rate so the repayment amount will never change.

4) After a refusal. Did anyone meet face to face with the Council for a more detailed explanation of why they were refused and how the situation can be resolved to the satisfaction of the Council?

From my perspective my submission included documentation that displayed both repayment capacity and source of savings. Without further details from Council I'm snookered.

What council are you going with?

We got refused initially, then on appeal.. I refused to let it drop so they put us in appeal again and got it... persevere.

I had to do excel spreadsheets and look at our savings from when we were paying a high rent to show repayment capacity. Not sure if that might help you...

ad1234 wrote: »
    What council are you going with?

We got refused initially, then on appeal.. I refused to let it drop so they put us in appeal again and got it... persevere.

I had to do excel spreadsheets and look at our savings from when we were paying a high rent to show repayment capacity. Not sure if that might help you...

I'm going with Fingal CC.

I actually included a spreadsheet that totalled up savings, rent etc for 12 months which showed I could easily cover repayment on the max amount I was asking for. A cover letter was included too for further explanation.

This is why I get the feeling there was a cock up here and all the paperwork I handed in did not make it to the underwriter (which is just another department in the Council as I understand).

To use an example. When a bank approves you for say 150k and you ask for 200k from the Council it makes no logical sense why the council would not offer somewhere in the 150k to 200k range. The fact that they do not stress test your repayment capacity and the bank do means the Council should be able to offer more than the 150k.

1) Appealing Decision

Hey, sorry to hear of your refusal. Our initial application took 6 weeks to get a refusal. We appealed 3 weeks later and have been waiting 13 weeks now for a response. We contact our CC on a regular basis for an update but get no info. So the wait is very long. One question, if you have approval in principle letters from banks, why are you applying to this scheme? Isn't this for people who have been refused credit from at least 2 banks?

Hey, sorry to hear of your refusal. Our initial application took 6 weeks to get a refusal. We appealed 3 weeks later and have been waiting 13 weeks now for a response. We contact our CC on a regular basis for an update but get no info. So the wait is very long. One question, if you have approval in principle letters from banks, why are you applying to this scheme? Isn't this for people who have been refused credit from at least 2 banks?

Its also for those who have had insufficient offers from banks due to the Central Bank Rules.

Its also for those who have had insufficient offers from banks due to the Central Bank Rules.

Exactly. In theory there's no valid reason why the Council would offer no mortgage when presented with same information that was sufficient for a bank to offer a mortgage.

The scheme is a bit of a joke when a bank offers you a mortgage but the government gives you a total refusal.

This to me either points to information going missing or incompetence.

Exactly. In theory there's no valid reason why the Council would offer no mortgage when presented with same information that was sufficient for a bank to offer a mortgage.

The scheme is a bit of a joke when a bank offers you a mortgage but the government gives you a total refusal.

In our case the bank would only offer approx 180k as we have 3 kids. We sought 220k from the council and the repayments are going to be nearly 500e less than our rent was for the last few years yet they could not see our repayment capacity initially. The repayments with the banks for a longer term were higher than the council repayments but they said yes to us being able to pay that on a lower loan....
    I refused to let it drop. We could afford 500 more a month comfortably but the banks were tied due to the 3.5 rule even though we could afford it... the council finally said yes to us as I knew we could afford it no problem.
    Id really suggest persevering to the person declined if they are sure of their abilities. Even see if they will sit wit you and show you exactly where they may be concerned.… Its crazy that our repayments will be 500 less than our rent was, feels great really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Can anyone who has done self build let me know appox what amount of a deposit you needed to have in the bank

In our case the bank would only offer approx 180k as we have 3 kids. We sought 220k from the council and the repayments are going to be nearly 500e less than our rent was for the last few years yet they could not see our repayment capacity initially. The repayments with the banks for a longer term were higher than the council repayments but they said yes to us being able to pay that on a lower loan....
    I refused to let it drop. We could afford 500 more a month comfortably but the banks were tied due to the 3.5 rule even though we could afford it... the council finally said yes to us as I knew we could afford it no problem.
    Id really suggest persevering to the person declined if they are sure of their abilities. Even see if they will sit wit you and show you exactly where they may be concerned.… Its crazy that our repayments will be 500 less than our rent was, feels great really!
    That's great ad1234, well done. Have you begun drawing down the loan yet or how are you finding this process?

That's great ad1234, well done. Have you begun drawing down the loan yet or how are you finding this process?

Still waiting on the house to be built, its looking like October for us hopefully. We are buying a new build that is so far delayed :(
    Found the RBI process a bit mad to be honest. even the solicitor cant get his head around it... and hes struggling to get answers from the council on what else they should have sent him and anything they may want from us...
    Is others out there finding it a bit mad?

Still waiting on the house to be built, its looking like October for us hopefully. We are buying a new build that is so far delayed :(
    Found the RBI process a bit mad to be honest. even the solicitor cant get his head around it... and hes struggling to get answers from the council on what else they should have sent him and anything they may want from us...

Im finding it a bit all over the place, way more required then I think a bank would ever need. I dont know if there is a set framework of rules but rebuilding ireland wont answer any queries after the application has gone to the council either

• Advertisement

Im finding it a bit all over the place, way more required then I think a bank would ever need. I dont know if there is a set framework of rules but rebuilding ireland wont answer any queries after the application has gone to the council either
    Wow. The more I read, the more I suspect this thing to be fiction. We are waiting 13 weeks for a response. Wouldn't be surprised if we are declined for abstract reasons. The whole process sounds improvised to say the least.

I have got so fed up that I went to my local TD as I was fobbed off again.

Has anyone gone dwn this avenue. Did it help?

Have you gotten anywhere with your TD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Has anyone gone dwn this avenue. Did it help?

Friends of ours went that way. Ended up getting approved for 6 x earnings. I am extremely wary of this scheme in general but that really pissed me off. He's delighted but I had to nearly sell my first born to get approved for 3.5 x with a normal bank. I think it'll all end in tears but sure what do I know

Friends of ours went that way. Ended up getting approved for 6 x earnings. I am extremely wary of this scheme in general but that really pissed me off. He's delighted but I had to nearly sell my first born to get approved for 3.5 x with a normal bank. I think it'll all end in tears but sure what do I know

I honestly dont think it will end in tears because its actually virtually impossible to get it. Unless I am missing something. Six times earnings will kill them paying back though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I honestly dont think it will end in tears because its actually virtually impossible to get it. Unless I am missing something. Six times earnings will kill them paying back though

Sorry yes I meant for him. But nothing will ever be repossessed in this state, particularly if the council / government are providing your mortgage. There is literally zero risk to this.

The whole process sounds improvised to say the least.

I don't think we should be surprised. Typical governmental/civil service approach. Pity they didn't off load the process to private sector who could carry it out efficiently and effectively.

You talk to the county council for more details about a rejected application and they go on as if the underwriters are some external company on the other side of Mars that they can't talk to. When in reality they are just another group of civil servants as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

It’s appears to be rejections after rejections with no proper report or feedback as to why you get declined.

No access to the policies around the scheme to see how they are actually assessing each application.

It appears to be two stages in the application and each one is very different, you have the initial one where you meet an official and then the 2nd one where we have no idea what or why they reject each application. Surely if people meet the first criteria, and more or less everything is in order it’s crazy so many are rejected then at the next stage!

And yes it appears underwriters are in same department, they go on about them like they are CIA agents!

• Advertisement

Call me cynical. But would it be beyond the realm of possibilities that the government have instructed them to prioritise certain applications? For example, double income application from married couple with children go top of the pile?

When there is no logic to a reasoning there is usually something amiss. It just makes absolutely no sense that the Council would outright reject you when two banks approve you for a mortgage. As in theory the banks should, and do have, stricter criteria. So it appears to me that there is more to the Councils criteria than they advertise.

Time for Joe Duffy!

Advertisement