Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Funds Local Authority Housing Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

They are withholding the policy around the scheme, they refuse to publish it under the freedom of information act, so there is definitely something fishy going on.

I don’t think it’s just down to prioritizing certain people, as I know plenty of couples that applied, met the criteria and got refused likewise met many single people who met same criteria and rejected as well!

I’d more go on the fact that they have a certain number allowed to pass, so it’s more like a lottery but again without the policy we will never know.

I’m very suspicious as to why they don’t want the policy published, what are they hiding?

Call me cynical. But would it be beyond the realm of possibilities that the government have instructed them to prioritise certain applications? For example, double income application from married couple with children go top of the pile?

When there is no logic to a reasoning there is usually something amiss. It just makes absolutely no sense that the Council would outright reject you when two banks approve you for a mortgage. As in theory the banks should, and do have, stricter criteria. So it appears to me that there is more to the Councils criteria than they advertise.

Time for Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

bri007 wrote: »
    I’d more go on the fact that they have a certain number allowed to pass, so it’s more like a lottery but again without the policy we will never know.

This would make sense. They have a set amount they are allowed approve each month (and/or set budget) and they use "some criteria" to choose the lucky few leaving many applicants who meet the "advertised criteria" rejected.

If everyone who met the advertised criteria was approved for some amount of a mortgage it possibly wouldn't suit the government on a few levels. They didn't allocate the budget for it? They don't want to significantly increase the number of people with funds to buy a house in a market that already cannot meet demand.

This would make sense. They have a set amount they are allowed approve each month (and/or set budget) and they use "some criteria" to choose the lucky few leaving many applicants who meet the "advertised criteria" rejected.

If everyone who met the advertised criteria was approved for some amount of a mortgage it possibly wouldn't suit the government on a few levels. They didn't allocate the budget for it? They don't want to significantly increase the number of people with funds to buy a house in a market that already cannot meet demand.

The figures released in the Irish Times today would actually tally up well with this. They say out of 2105 applicants almost 70% were rejected, leaving 656 approved.

There is 200 million allocated to the scheme which was deemed to allow for 1000 mortgages.

As we are just over half way through the year it would look like the Council are staggering the amount of mortgages they approve. Or it is just by chance that the amount of mortgages approved so far is roughly in line with 1000 spread out over a monthly basis.

I would imagine by the end of the year we will hear a press announcement about 1000 approved mortgages and the Government bleating on about how successful a scheme it has been.

One suggestion for people applying. Do not put down the price of the house you are looking to buy or that you have even found a house. It may work against you if they are trying to weed out and whittle down applications i.e. an applicant who wants 200k may be favoured over one who wants 240k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

If you are that dissatisfied with the scheme, why don't you withdraw your application and go to a bank and let non civil servants decide on the merits and demerits of your application ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    If you are that dissatisfied with the scheme, why don't you withdraw your application and go to a bank and let non civil servants decide on the merits and demerits of your application ?

Will a bank approve you for a Rebuilding Ireland mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Because rebuilding Ireland mortgages are a fantastic deal. So good in fact that ABSOLUTE TRANSPARENCY is needed how else do we know that the mortgages are not all going to CONNNECTED INSIDERS and BLUESHIRT TRAITORS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Because rebuilding Ireland mortgages are a fantastic deal. So good in fact that ABSOLUTE TRANSPARENCY is needed how else do we know that the mortgages are not all going to CONNNECTED INSIDERS and BLUESHIRT TRAITORS?

I missed those 2 questions

Are you a connected insider ?

Are you a blueshirt traitor ?

I think that you have cracked it.
    People that are being refused are not answering all the questions

Have you seen what documentation people submitted and the reasons why they were rejected?

Actually I appreciate the frustration some people feel especially as I am ineligible for the scheme. I agree with you when you say that those who can get mortgages from a bank should get them from a bank ; and I suspect that some of those being refused are being refused because they are marginally at the top of the scheme rather than the bottom.

I reassert however despite the previous hyperbole that the scheme must be transparent because it is such a good deal. People complaining have a right to feel aggrieved because there is a 'lottery' element to this (ridiculous) scheme.

I agree with you when you say that those who can get mortgages from a bank should get them from a bank ;

Clearly whoever said that has a misunderstanding of how the scheme works. One of the advertised conditions is that you get refused by a bank for the amount you need. Either that or trolling, but let's continue.
    and I suspect that some of those being refused are being refused because they are marginally at the top of the scheme rather than the bottom.

I'm not sure what you mean by the top of the scheme. As in near the highest requested amounts? This should be irrelevant if they satisfy the criteria. There is an advertised limit as to what the Council will approve based on County.

Leaving aside marginal cases. Almost 70% are being refused. The guidance from the County Council has been even if you are refused for your requested amount the council would still offer a lower amount if you satisfied the criteria. People have satisfied the "advertised criteria" yet get a blank rejection. So something does not add up.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone is “a connected insider” that has been refused.

I don’t think anyone has been cracked as you put it????

It’s a flawed system, lacks transparency and no published policy to the public!

I’m sure everyone that has been refused would love questions to be answered that’s the problem?

It appears we touched a nerve with you have we??

Clearly whoever said that has a misunderstanding of how the scheme works. One of the advertised conditions is that you get refused by a bank for the amount you need. Either that or trolling, but let's continue.

I'm not sure what you mean by the top of the scheme. As in near the highest requested amounts? This should be irrelevant if they satisfy the criteria. There is an advertised limit as to what the Council will approve based on County.

Leaving aside marginal cases. Almost 70% are being refused. The guidance from the County Council has been even if you are refused for your requested amount the council would still offer a lower amount if you satisfied the criteria. People have satisfied the "advertised criteria" yet get a blank rejection. So something does not add up.
    That something is the funds available for the scheme vs. demand.
    The scheme is on the face of it absurd; county councils should not bundle up a set of high risk borrowers (and I understand completely that no one on the website asking questions is high risk) while excluding lower risk borrowers.
    The demand is probably a million people? A quarter of a million mortgages for people priced out of their area who are respectable , decent , prudent and rather poor.
    The supply is what? 5000 mortgages?

The whole thing is a publicity stunt, a very poor use of money, ideological nonsense, a transparent attempt to preserve high house prices ...
    yadda yadda yadda . You know the drill.

All I can advise as an outsider is
    go to your TD
    go to the local paper
    go to your local councillor
    talk to Joe

etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OCDee

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are still loans with interest rates at between 2-2.5% while the average banks first time buyer mortgage rates are approx 3%. A 10% deposit and proof of income / credit rating must also be provided. The state stands to profit substantially over the lifetime of the loan. My point is, this isn't exactly free money for all and affordable to everybody (and certainly not a million people even if that is the demand). I only applied because it sounded like a fair deal for first time buyers.
    Public / Private system aside, peoples frustrations have only been fueled by the lack of clear information provided to applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

OCDee wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but these are still loans with interest rates at between 2-2.5% while the average banks first time buyer mortgage rates are approx 3%. A 10% deposit and proof of income / credit rating must also be provided. The state stands to profit substantially over the lifetime of the loan. My point is, this isn't exactly free money for all and affordable to everybody (and certainly not a million people even if that is the demand). I only applied because it sounded like a fair deal for first time buyers.
    Public / Private system aside, peoples frustrations have only been fueled by the lack of clear information provided to applicants.

Time will tell, but I doubt there will be a profit from this, and I don't think there should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I honestly do not think these mortgages are high risk to the council. Obviously high risk people arent getting them- if 135 loans have been drawn down it says it all. It is honestly easier imo in reality to get approval from a bank

That something is the funds available for the scheme vs. demand.
    Clearly this is not the case as the number of approved mortgages would have exhausted all funds available by now due to the demand. People are getting turned down even though they satisfy the advertised criteria, and funds for the scheme is not the issue. Something else is at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Clearly this is not the case as the number of approved mortgages would have exhausted all funds available by now due to the demand. People are getting turned down even though they satisfy the advertised criteria, and funds for the scheme is not the issue. Something else is at play.

Might have something to do with us being a country with the highest mortgage arrears rate in the world and somebody copping exactly what the implications are for high risk loans given out by apathetic councils.

Might have something to do with us being a country with the highest mortgage arrears rate in the world and somebody copping exactly what the implications are for high risk loans given out by apathetic councils.

Yes it's possible they've stricter criteria internally than they advertise externally.

However, this does not explain why someone approved by two banks for a mortgage gets a blank refusal from the Council. As whilst they may have stricter criteria internally than the externally advertised criteria, it's entirely illogical that their criteria would be stricter than a bank as by implication it would make the scheme redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

hi guys!

guys I'm going to be very frank here. stop chatting here and start sorting out your home loan! nobody from the government is reading this forum. this is only a frustration vent.

if you were rejected for the home loan, ring them and ask them why have they rejected you. be persistent. stop being a sissy. go apply in a different county. you might hear some new piece of information. each case might be different. keep going back to the council offices. knock on doors. just enter the office without knocking. be assertive. if you are sure you meet all the criteria of the scheme, you need to keep trying. you have to be very determined. but you have to action on it. not posting your frustration online.

i applied for the RBHM in my county. they didn't want to take my application because they asked for more papers. they sent me away twice. finally they accepted it. 2 months later i received the rejection letter. 3 reasons. I was broken and also furious. because i felt like i meet those criteria. i rang them. they never answered the phone; they hung up on me once; they asked me to leave a voice message. i went to their office, they said I have no right coming here because i was out right rejected without the possibility to appeal.
    in the end one of the men from the council rang me and told me outright which documents I am missing. these documents are not in the checklist. but anything that can be suspicious from your application or if something is not compelling enough you need to supply more evidence and more papers.

i was very happy. but also I knew there was a long road ahead of me. just to be on the safe side this time i applied to all the neighboring counties as well. when i got all the needed paperwork i went back to the county council. the lady at the desk refused to take my application as she said i was right out declined and i cannot reapply. i had to fight her, i had to come back another day. i had to ring the council clarify this. i went to the other counties. they told me: yeah, you will need MORE papers, this is not enough to get you approved. so at that moment I realized that the first county is not discriminating me, they are just looking for the same things as the rest are, they are just withholding the information.

people, be persistent and assertive. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

hi guys!

guys I'm going to be very frank here. stop chatting here and start sorting out your home loan! nobody from the government is reading this forum. this is only a frustration vent.

if you were rejected for the home loan, ring them and ask them why have they rejected you. be persistent. stop being a sissy. go apply in a different county. you might hear some new piece of information. each case might be different. keep going back to the council offices. knock on doors. just enter the office without knocking. be assertive. if you are sure you meet all the criteria of the scheme, you need to keep trying. you have to be very determined. but you have to action on it. not posting your frustration online.

i applied for the RBHM in my county. they didn't want to take my application because they asked for more papers. they sent me away twice. finally they accepted it. 2 months later i received the rejection letter. 3 reasons. I was broken and also furious. because i felt like i meet those criteria. i rang them. they never answered the phone; they hung up on me once; they asked me to leave a voice message. i went to their office, they said I have no right coming here because i was out right rejected without the possibility to appeal.
    in the end one of the men from the council rang me and told me outright which documents I am missing. these documents are not in the checklist. but anything that can be suspicious from your application or if something is not compelling enough you need to supply more evidence and more papers.

i was very happy. but also I knew there was a long road ahead of me. just to be on the safe side this time i applied to all the neighboring counties as well. when i got all the needed paperwork i went back to the county council. the lady at the desk refused to take my application as she said i was right out declined and i cannot reapply. i had to fight her, i had to come back another day. i had to ring the council clarify this. i went to the other counties. they told me: yeah, you will need MORE papers, this is not enough to get you approved. so at that moment I realized that the first county is not discriminating me, they are just looking for the same things as the rest are, they are just withholding the information.

Why don't you share the FULL checklist?

• Advertisement

Can you share this check list then??

QUOTE=foodiewarrior;107806295]hi guys!

people, be persistent and assertive. good luck![/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LK1988

hi guys!

How many office doors did you kick open out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

the sarcastic attitude you have you is the reason you are not getting anywhere in life

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LK1988

the sarcastic attitude you have you is the reason you are not getting anywhere in life

😂

hi guys!

It sounds like you've had quite the adventure! Could you share with us how much did you ask for and how much did you get approved for in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

hi guys!

Hi, I am just wondering if you were passed in the end and where? I see you were originally applying to south Dublin (in a previous thread) but here you say you went to other counties. Do you mean to say you applied to each county council across Ireland? Did you find all counties and councils consistent or were some more arduous to deal with. How many counties/councils passed your application? It would be great to hear from more people who have been passed to give the rest of us hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Yes it's possible they've stricter criteria internally than they advertise externally.

However, this does not explain why someone approved by two banks for a mortgage gets a blank refusal from the Council. As whilst they may have stricter criteria internally than the externally advertised criteria, it's entirely illogical that their criteria would be stricter than a bank as by implication it would make the scheme redundant.

Someone approved by two banks SHOULD be refused by the council, they're ineligible for the scheme? Am I missing something?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Someone approved by two banks SHOULD be refused by the council, they're ineligible for the scheme? Am I missing something?

Why should they be ineligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

GingerLily wrote: »

Not if banks are giving insufficient funds, if anything these people will be by far and away the safest bet as they will have met both the banks and central banks strict borrowing and savings rules.

For example a single permanent Garda, Nurse or public sector/council worker applicant would be entitled on basic wage to a very very modest mortgage (max of say 150k for vast majority) from the banks where as everybody knows permanent public servants have unparalleled payback power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

We are preparing to drawdown next Friday from this scheme.
    Meath county council staff have been brilliant, answered our million questions and if they didn’t know the answer they found out and came back to us.
    We had to pay the council solicitor fees around €700, not the land registry etc as we had paid our solicitor for this.
    We are due to drawdown next Friday , payments are taken on the first Tuesday of every month so depending on your drawdown you could have a mortgage payment quite soon after so maybe factor that in. Happy to answer any questions

Advertisement