Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Funds Local Authority Housing Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OCDee

Well done. very positive. Do you mind me asking how long the process took you from start of application to end and were you approved for the amount you requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

We are preparing to drawdown next Friday from this scheme.
    Meath county council staff have been brilliant, answered our million questions and if they didn’t know the answer they found out and came back to us.
    We had to pay the council solicitor fees around €700, not the land registry etc as we had paid our solicitor for this.
    We are due to drawdown next Friday , payments are taken on the first Tuesday of every month so depending on your drawdown you could have a mortgage payment quite soon after so maybe factor that in. Happy to answer any questions

Can you hear that?

The questions are coming :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

We are preparing to drawdown next Friday from this scheme.
    Meath county council staff have been brilliant, answered our million questions and if they didn’t know the answer they found out and came back to us.
    We had to pay the council solicitor fees around €700, not the land registry etc as we had paid our solicitor for this.
    We are due to drawdown next Friday , payments are taken on the first Tuesday of every month so depending on your drawdown you could have a mortgage payment quite soon after so maybe factor that in. Happy to answer any questions

That is brilliant, huge congrats. Can I ask are you buying a new build house?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

We had to pay the council solicitor fees around €700

How come you had to pay the solicitors fees from the council too? they are employed by the council so surely their salary is already covered? thats what my solicitor anticipates anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Well done on the draw down, been a tough few months but have drawn down too. After the application everything was smooth enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ad1234 wrote: »
    How come you had to pay the solicitors fees from the council too? they are employed by the council so surely their salary is already covered? thats what my solicitor anticipates anyway?

Most councils do not have their own legal department, very few do. More typically they have a tender agreement with an external solicitor firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rachieqtpie

OCDee wrote: »
    Well done. very positive. Do you mind me asking how long the process took you from start of application to end and were you approved for the amount you requested?

We applied at the end of March/ start of April and were approved 5 weeks later. We put in up to the maximum as that is what council advised . We got approved for 270 But we had already had a house and didn’t need the full amount offered.
    We went sale agreed on 8th of May, most of the delays have been on our solicitors side. Hofeullt have keys next Friday.it has been a stressful process but not from council just the whole buying a house

That is brilliant, huge congrats. Can I ask are you buying a new build house?

No we are buying a second hand house if that’s what you call it?

No we were advised with our first initial council meeting and our first meeting with our solicitor we would be expected to pay. It has beeen this way for all the council schemes before too.

SNNUS wrote: »
    Well done on the draw down, been a tough few months but have drawn down too. After the application everything was smooth enough.

Ah that’s great news, congrats! Enjoy the new house 🀗🀗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

No we were advised with our first initial council meeting and our first meeting with our solicitor we would be expected to pay. It has beeen this way for all the council schemes before too.

ah i see... we've been told nothing. at all. solicitor cant even get info from them. jesus hope we dont have that with our council. absolutely did not see that expense coming ugh.

ah i see... we've been told nothing. at all. solicitor cant even get info from them. jesus hope we dont have that with our council. absolutely did not see that expense coming ugh.

Not all councils charge the solicitors fees so you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 robbo25

Ah that’s great news, congrats! Enjoy the new house ����

Snnus/rachieqtpie

Congrats on getting to this stage. I understand our application has now gone to the council's law department. Do you know how long this stage will be? The vendor's are chasing us through the Estate Agent for an update as they are keen to close. We are also eager to close but held up by the council.

Also can I ask at what stage do they contact you about the mortgage protection insurance and house buildings insurance? Is there anything else we will be required to do?

Also at drawdown, will they look for anything else? payslips or bank statements?? Thanks in advance.

Not all councils charge the solicitors fees so you could be lucky.

We’re you not charged snnus?

robbo25 wrote: »
    Snnus/rachieqtpie

Congrats on getting to this stage. I understand our application has now gone to the council's law department. Do you know how long this stage will be? The vendor's are chasing us through the Estate Agent for an update as they are keen to close. We are also eager to close but held up by the council.

Also can I ask at what stage do they contact you about the mortgage protection insurance and house buildings insurance? Is there anything else we will be required to do?

Also at drawdown, will they look for anything else? payslips or bank statements?? Thanks in advance.

We weren’t long waiting on council solicitors, what stage are you at? We signed contracts and sent to vendors solicitor and council solicitor. The next day they asked for proof showing we had paid our stamp duty. Once that was sent the request for funds went in.

We had done the phone call for mortgage protection fairly early on in the process. They asked for proof of house insurance before drawdown along with updated bank accounts and statement of saving showing rest of deposit coming out from our account.

Snnus/rachieqtpie

Hey Robbo,

Not sure how far along you are in the process? Have you received your loan pack and signed off on it ?

Hey Robbo,

Not sure how far along you are in the process? Have you received your loan pack and signed off on it ?

Hi, the council's architect has finally gone out to inspect the property in the last week and they advised that it was going to the law department yesterday. Haven't signed anything yet. Am guessing will get the loan pack from them?? Our solicitor is also waiting on something from vendor's sol so guess that could be holding up the contract? Not sure of the procedure of events that is to follow and finding it very stressful!

Hi, the council's architect has finally gone out to inspect the property in the last week and they advised that it was going to the law department yesterday. Haven't signed anything yet. Am guessing will get the loan pack from them?? Our solicitor is also waiting on something from vendor's sol so guess that could be holding up the contract? Not sure of the procedure of events that is to follow and finding it very stressful!

All i needed was a valuation report and no council staff inspected the property. You will need to clarify with them regarding the loan pack as in my case I received a draft offer that had a 30 day cooling off period so my solicitor did not receive the loan offer until one month after I received the draft offer. Everything after that is smooth enough, MPI and home insurance.

All i needed was a valuation report and no council staff inspected the property. You will need to clarify with them regarding the loan pack as in my case I received a draft offer that had a 30 day cooling off period so your solicitor did not receive the loan offer until one month after you received the draft offer. Everything after that is smooth enough, MPI and home insurance.

Thanks. No council seems to be doing the same thing. Crazy they had to inspect it even though we sent in full Surveyors report. Will ring about a draft loan pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Odhfi61

Does anyone know if you appeal do they go through the whole process again of sending it back to underwriters etc..do the appeals take just as long as initial application?

• Advertisement

Odhfi61 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you appeal do they go through the whole process again of sending it back to underwriters etc..do the appeals take just as long as initial application?

It has taken us nearly 3 times as long to hear anything back from our appeal. It took 6 weeks to get the initial refusal. We handed our appeal in April. Still havnt heard back. That's over 4 months. And we are very eligible according to the advertised criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Odhfi61

It has taken us nearly 3 times as long to hear anything back from our appeal. It took 6 weeks to get the initial refusal. We handed our appeal in April. Still havnt heard back. That's over 4 months. And we are very eligible according to the advertised criteria.

That's a crazy amount of time 😮 Have you contacted them to see what the delay is?

Odhfi61 wrote: »

That's a crazy amount of time 😮 Have you contacted them to see what the delay is?

Every week we contact our CC. We've gone into them on several occasions. Always the same, "there is a back log..etc etc" Can't get any more info than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sammylok1977

May I ask what council you apply? Mine is DCC wonder if they charge me solicitor fees??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 unclejoe89

I have been approved 2 Months ago.
    But now I have been given a gift of 20k after I have been approved!!
    Will this affect my application if I want to use this to buy a 20k more expense home?
    I doesn't say what the max purchase price of the house on the approval in principle?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

unclejoe89 wrote: »
    I have been approved 2 Months ago.
    But now I have been given a gift of 20k after I have been approved!!
    Will this affect my application if I want to use this to buy a 20k more expense home?
    I doesn't say what the max purchase price of the house on the approval in principle?
    Thanks

The max purchase price depends on which county you are in, check the website. Other than that the gift shouldn't have any impact on your approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 unclejoe89

Deposit
    The minimum deposit required is 10% of which 3% needs to be evidenced by way of a credible savings record.  Gifts are permissible up to 7% of the market value of the property where their source is verified.  Unidentified lump sum lodgements, made within 12 months prior to the application being made cannot be considered when computing the deposit.

The above states that gifts cant be any more then 7%.
    is this just 7% of the (10% deposit?)

unclejoe89 wrote: »
    Deposit
    The minimum deposit required is 10% of which 3% needs to be evidenced by way of a credible savings record.  Gifts are permissible up to 7% of the market value of the property where their source is verified.  Unidentified lump sum lodgements, made within 12 months prior to the application being made cannot be considered when computing the deposit.

The above states that gifts cant be any more then 7%.
    is this just 7% of the (10% deposit?)

Just of the 10% deposit

Does anyone know, if you get offered X amount of a mortgage say €150K for example and buy a property for €130K. Would they release the excess €20K for a renovation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Grali87

Hey Guys, My application is through to stage of the credit committee (Kildare Co Co), they are meeting on the 14th, however today my solicitor emailed to say they just received the contracts and to confirm when I have full loan approval, I'm concerned about timing, what do you reckon? I don't have a "you must sign in this many days to get this" type clause.

Advertisement