Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Videos Megathread **Do not quote videos**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

heh. i have a 53/39 on the front, and a 13-26 on the back, hence the 'i don't do nearly enough climbing'.

I had to google that. I'm a commuter, not a serious cyclist! Some of the videos are cool though!

I lived in the city centre years ago when the tour de France visited Dublin and a cyclist in a yellow jersey stopped to rub my dog, chatted to him for ages until a few fans arrived and he headed off. Turns out he was a famous competitor. Haven't a clue who he was, but he was tanned, not Irish and his bike was very very expensive looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

rizzodun wrote: »
    As someone who tolerates road cycling more than enjoys it, that looks like serious fun, so it's obvious when I do get out on the road bike I don't descend half enough.

It was fun, but the first bit of that was hairy enough. It was too steep to really let go as I'd have been off the edge in a flash. It's also edited to leave out the really hairy bits so my Next of Kin didn't have a conniption- the directors cut features overtaking traffic, swerving around cows in the fog and a serious speed wobble at about 50kmh . "Oh it looks much faster than it really was, it's just the shaking camera makes it look faster" :D
    I enjoy climbing and descending equally but differently. I get a great sense of achievement from the climb but the descent is pure reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Always love a great trail dog video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nice video following some of the riders and one especially on the 2016 Transcontinental race

https://vimeo.com/197782959

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

nilhg wrote: »
    Nice video following some of the riders and one especially on the 2016 Transcontinental race

https://vimeo.com/197782959

I really enjoyed that, as I do all videos of the transcontinental!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good god. 'i took a wrong turn on the stelvio so had to climb it again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Three guys, a fatbike... And an electric fence!

How hard can it be to get the bike over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Three guys, a fatbike... And an electric fence!

How hard can it be to get the bike over?

I seen that the other day and wondered would the handlebar grips not be insulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A lot of it would depend on the moisture in the tape and their gloves, which would change the insulating properties.

That said, why didn't they pass it over the wooden section, where it would be easier to avoid the wires?

(Though, if they are full rubber grips, it should make it much easier to do. Maybe they are just idiots)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=17b_1484341930

When cycling is your only mode of transport:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

2017 UCI Cycling Gala – Guilin, CHN

Katie-George Dunlevy @ 16min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Martyn Ashton, world famous mountain biker and trials biker, paralysed from the waist down following an accident in 2013, rides Whistler Bike Park, the mecca of mountain biking, on a specially adapted e-bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

darconio wrote: »
    Ouch!

Jesus that's some lump on his head! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Short Film - Graeme Obree, Athlete or Genius?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Simple, he was a genius.

And badly treated if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8bioVdod8

GCN presenters take on l'angliru.
    i tried kilmashogue last week, 2.5km @10%;. there's a section on l'angliru which is longer than kilmashogue, and is steeper than the steepest part of kilmashogue. that's just sadistic.

the link to cycling is a little tenuous, but it comes right at the end.

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7478137/1e57193b/wacht_tot_het_rode_licht_gedoofd_is.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8bioVdod8

GCN presenters take on l'angliru.
    i tried kilmashogue last week, 2.5km @10%. there's a section on l'angliru which is longer than kilmashogue, and is steeper than the steepest part of kilmashogue. that's just sadistic.

Truskmore, 4km @10% - got up about half-way a few years ago (feed of pints the night before didn't help) - I'll give it another shot before the summer is out:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1735489

maybe not the sort of video that was envisioned when this thread was started.

• Advertisement

That take drafting to a whole other level.

and she's done it too. broken the record.

and she's done it too. broken the record.

184mph or 296kmph :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can’t help to feel that the word pedalled is bring used a bit loosely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ted1 wrote: »
    I can’t help to feel that the word pedalled is bring used a bit loosely

Really? She did actually pedal the bike. She was pulled up to speed but still had to pedal. I don't know too many people who could pedal at that speed as she did, pull up and all.

What's your position on keirin racing, stayer racing, derney racing? All pedalling, all motor-assisted. And no less challenging for it. I'd give them a try and then see loose the pedalling part of it is!

Huge achievement in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Do you pedal cycling down a hill, you're going fast, and you can pedal but you're pedalling does help you go faster, but it doesnt mean you're pedalling speed is the speed you're going or your legs would fall off

The previous video MB posted had a good explanation of the bike whats going on. Basically it's near impossible to turn the cranks from a standing start, think she said it was close to 50 before she was able to start her effort.

She was pulled up to 100mph i think. Which means she accelerated from 100 to 184 under pedal power (with assistance from the air cushion). And of course she made it as easy as possible (which still lies in the realm of stupidly difficult) to do it - the record is simply about going as fast as is possible pedaling a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

She was pulled up to 100mph i think. Which means she accelerated from 100 to 184 under pedal power (with assistance from the air cushion). And of course she made it as easy as possible (which still lies in the realm of stupidly difficult) to do it - the record is simply about going as fast as is possible pedaling a bike.

All of the distances in the video seem to me, to be in miles.
    When the commentator says 157, she is still tethered.
    The tether is released at 163.
    I reckon she was pulled until 160 miles per hour.

Advertisement