Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Sunday's Gospel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Dominica IV post Pascha

Semi Duplex Semi Double

Commemoration of St Peter Celestine, Pope and Confessor

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Jacobi Apóstoli.

Ias i 17-21

C aríssimi: Omne datum óptimum, et omne donum perféctum desúrsum est, descéndens a Patre lúminum, apud quem non est transmutátio nec vicissitúdinis obumbrátio. Voluntárie enim génuit nos verbo veritátis, ut simus inítium áliquod creatúræ eius. Scitis, fratres mei dilectíssimi. Sit autem omnis homo velox ad audiéndum: tardus autem ad loquéndum et tardus ad iram. Ira enim viri iustítiam Dei non operátur. Propter quod abiiciéntes omnem immundítiam et abundántiam malítiæ, in mansuetúdine suscípite ínsitum verbum, quod potest salváre ánimas vestras.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St James the Apostle

Ias i. 17-21

Dearly beloved: Every best gift, and every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no change, nor shadow of alteration. For of his own will hath he begotten us by the word of truth, that we might be some beginning of his creatures. You know, my dearest brethren. And let every man be swift to hear, but slow to speak, and slow to anger. For the anger of man worketh not the justice of God. Wherefore casting away all uncleanness, and abundance of naughtiness, with meekness receive the ingrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
    Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xvi, 5-14

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Vado ad eum, qui misit me: et nemo ex vobis intérrogat me: Quo vadis? Sed quia hæc locútus sum vobis, tristítia implévit cor vestrum. Sed ego veritátem dico vobis: expédit vobis, ut ego vadam: si enim non abíero, Paráclitus non véniet ad vos: si autem abíero, mittam eum ad vos. Et cum vénerit ille. árguet mundum de peccáto et de iustítia et de iudício. De peccáto quidem, quia non credidérunt in me: de iustítia vero, quia ad Patrem vado, et iam non vidébitis me: de iudício autem, quia princeps huius mundi iam iudicátus est. Adhuc multa hábeo vobis dícere: sed non potéstis portáre modo. Cum autem vénerit ille Spíritus veritátis, docébit vos omnem veritátem. Non enim loquétur a semetípso: sed quæcúmque áudiet, loquétur, et quæ ventúra sunt, annuntiábit vobis. Ille me clarificábit: quia de meo accípiet et annuntiábit vobis.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

S. Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

John xvi. 5-14

A n that time: But I told you not these things from the beginning, because I was with you. And now I go to him that sent me, and none of you asketh me: Whither goest thou? But because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow hath filled your heart. But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he is come, he will convince the world of sin, and of justice, and of judgment. Of sin: because they believed not in me. And of justice: because I go to the Father; and you shall see me no longer. And of judgment: because the prince of this world is already judged. I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you.

R.
    Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

Today’s liturgy exalts the justice of God which is shown forth by our Lord’s triumph, and by the sending of the Holy Ghost. ‘The right hand of the Lord hath wroth strength’ in raising Christ from the dead (Alleluia) and in causing Him to go into heaven on the day of His ascension. It is expedient for us that Jesus should leave the earth, for from heaven He will send to His Church the spirit of truth (Gospel) that best gift which comes from the Father of lights.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940, p. 703.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Fifth Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 54

Gospel JN 13:31-33A, 34-35
    When Judas had left them, Jesus said,
    "Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
    If God is glorified in him,
    God will also glorify him in himself,
    and God will glorify him at once.
    My children, I will be with you only a little while longer.
    I give you a new commandment: love one another.
    As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
    This is how all will know that you are my disciples,
    if you have love for one another."

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
    Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
    Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm
    Commentary:
    13:31 God is glorified: It is precisely when Christ accepts his suffering at the hands of evil men that he shows us the dimensions of God's love for the world

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11869-11870). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Dominica V post Pascha

Semi Duplex Semi Double

Commemoration of St. Philip Neri

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Jacobi Apóstoli.

Ias i. 22-27

Caríssimi: Estóte factóres verbi, et non auditóres tantum: falléntes vosmetípsos. Quia si quis audítor est verbi et non factor: hic comparábitur viro consideránti vultum nativitátis suæ in spéculo: considerávit enim se et ábiit, et statim oblítus est, qualis fúerit. Qui autem perspéxerit in legem perfectam libertátis et permánserit in ea, non audítor obliviósus factus, sed factor óperis: hic beátus in facto suo erit. Si quis autem putat se religiósum esse, non refrénans linguam suam, sed sedúcens cor suum, huius vana est relígio. Relígio munda et immaculáta apud Deum et Patrem hæc est: Visitáre pupíllos et viduas in tribulatióne eórum, et immaculátum se custodíre ab hoc saeculo.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St James the Apostle

Ias i. 22-27

D early beloved: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if a man be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he shall be compared to a man beholding his own countenance in a glass. For he beheld himself, and went his way, and presently forgot what manner of man he was. But he that hath looked into the perfect law of liberty, and hath continued therein, not becoming a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work; this man shall be blessed in his deed. And if any man think himself to be religious, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Religion clean and undefiled before God and the Father, is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their tribulation: and to keep one's self unspotted from this world.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xvi, 23-30

I n illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Amen, amen, dico vobis: si quid petiéritis Patrem in nómine meo, dabit vobis. Usque modo non petístis quidquam in nómine meo: Pétite, et accipiétis, ut gáudium vestrum sit plenum. Hæc in provérbiis locútus sum vobis. Venit hora, cum iam non in provérbiis loquar vobis, sed palam de Patre annuntiábo vobis. In illo die in nómine meo petétis: et non dico vobis, quia ego rogábo Patrem de vobis: ipse enim Pater amat vos, quia vos me amástis, et credidístis quia ego a Deo exívi. Exívi a Patre et veni in mundum: íterum relínquo mundum et vado ad Patrem. Dicunt ei discípuli eius: Ecce, nunc palam loquéris et provérbium nullum dicis. Nunc scimus, quia scis ómnia et non opus est tibi, ut quis te intérroget: in hoc crédimus, quia a Deo exísti.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xvi. 23-30

An that time, Jesus said to His disciples: And in that day you shall not ask me any thing. Amen, amen I say to you: if you ask the Father any thing in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto you have not asked any thing in my name. Ask, and you shall receive; that your joy may be full. These things I have spoken to you in proverbs. The hour cometh, when I will no more speak to you in proverbs, but will shew you plainly of the Father. In that day you shall ask in my name; and I say not to you, that I will ask the Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you, because you have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again I leave the world, and I go to the Father. His disciples say to him: Behold, now thou speakest plainly, and speakest no proverb. Now we know that thou knowest all things, and thou needest not that any man should ask thee. By this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

R.

The chants of the Mass ring with joy and thanksgiving. In the Epistle St. James proclaims the need for good works, especially works of mercy to those in need; and in the Gospel our Lord teaches the marvellous efficacy of prayer in His name. The speaking of prayer to His Father and in His Name impressed the disciples with the most definite statement of Christ’s divine sonship.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 603.

Sixth Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 57

Gospel JN 14:23-29
    Jesus said to his disciples:
    "Whoever loves me will keep my word,
    and my Father will love him,
    and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.
    Whoever does not love me does not keep my words;
    yet the word you hear is not mine
    but that of the Father who sent me.

"I have told you this while I am with you.
    The Advocate, the Holy Spirit,
    whom the Father will send in my name,
    will teach you everything
    and remind you of all that I told you.
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
    Not as the world gives do I give it to you.
    Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

You heard me tell you,
    'I am going away and I will come back to you.'
    If you loved me,
    you would rejoice that I am going to the Father;
    for the Father is greater than I.
    And now I have told you this before it happens,
    so that when it happens you may believe."

Commentary:
    14:23 our home with him: Through grace the living presence of the Trinity inhabits the hearts of the faithful (14:17; Gal 2:20). From John's perspective, God dwells in the saints on earth before the saints dwell in God in heaven

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11901-11902). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Sunday within the Octave of Ascension

Semi Duplex Semi Double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli.

1 Pet iv. 7-11

Caríssimi: Estóte prudéntes et vigiláte in oratiónibus. Ante ómnia autem mútuam in vobismetípsis caritátem contínuam habéntes: quia cáritas óperit multitúdinem peccatórum. Hospitáles ínvicem sine murmuratióne: unusquísque, sicut accépit grátiam, in altérutrum illam administrántes, sicut boni dispensatóres multifórmis grátiæ Dei. Si quis lóquitur, quasi sermónes Dei: si quis minístrat, tamquam ex virtúte, quam adminístrat Deus: ut in ómnibus honorificétur Deus per Iesum Christum, Dóminum nostrum.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St Peter the Apostle

1 Pet iv. 7-11

Dearly beloved: Be prudent and watchful in prayers. But above all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covers a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without murmuring. According to the gift that each has received, minister it to one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let it be as with words of God. If anyone ministers, let it be as from the strength that God furnishes; that in all things God may be honored through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xv. 26-27; xvi. 1-4

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Cum vénerit Paráclitus, quem ego mittam vobis a Patre, Spíritum veritátis, qui a Patre procédit, ille testimónium perhibébit de me: et vos testimónium perhibébitis, quia ab inítio mecum estis. Hæc locútus sum vobis, ut non scandalizémini. Absque synagógis fácient vos: sed venit hora, ut omnis, qui intérficit vos, arbitrétur obséquium se præstáre Deo. Et hæc fácient vobis, quia non novérunt Patrem neque me. Sed hæc locútus sum vobis: ut, cum vénerit hora eórum, reminiscámini, quia ego dixi vobis.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xv. 26-27; xvi. 1-4

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: When the Advocate has come, Whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth Who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness concerning Me. And you also will bear witness, because from the beginning you are with Me. These things I have spoken to you that you may not be scandalized. They will expel you from the synagogues. Yes, the hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think he is offering worship to God. And these things they will do because they have not known the Father nor Me. But these things I have spoken to you, that when the time for them has come you may remember that I told you.

R.

The Church wishes us to be united in charity and in prayer during these days, as were the Apostles in the Cenacle awaiting the gift of the Paraclete. The Gospel of the Mass makes clear how the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth, is given in order that we in turn shall give testimony to the truth, even at danger to our lives.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 615.

• Advertisement

The Ascension of the Lord
    Lectionary: 58

Gospel LK 24:46-53
    "Thus it is written that the Christ would suffer
    and rise from the dead on the third day
    and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins,
    would be preached in his name
    to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
    You are witnesses of these things.
    And behold I am sending the promise of my Father upon you;
    but stay in the city
    until you are clothed with power from on high."

Then he led them out as far as Bethany,
    raised his hands, and blessed them.
    As he blessed them he parted from them
    and was taken up to heaven.
    They did him homage
    and then returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
    and they were continually in the temple praising God

Commentary:

24:46 Christ should suffer: A mystery foretold in the OT (Acts 3:18; 17:3). • Jesus' mockery and rejection recall Ps 31, 69, 118, and Is 50:6. His agony and Crucifixion are depicted in Ps 22 and Is 53.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11901-11902). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Pentecost

Station at St Peter's

Indulgence of 30 years and 30 quarantine (remission of sin equivalent to thirty of those extreme fasts).
    Double of the First Class with privileged Octave

Red Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Actuum Apostolórum.

Acts 2:1-11

Cum compleréntur dies Pentecóstes, erant omnes discípuli pariter in eódem loco: et factus est repéente de coelo sonus, tamquam adveniéntis spíritus veheméntis: et replévit totam domum, ubi erant sedentes. Et apparuérunt illis dispertítæ linguæ tamquam ignis, sedítque supra síngulos eórum: et repléti sunt omnes Spíritu Sancto, et coepérunt loqui váriis linguis, prout Spíritus Sanctus dabat éloqui illis. Erant autem in Ierúsalem habitántes Iudaei, viri religiósi ex omni natióne, quæ sub coelo est. Facta autem hac voce, convénit multitúdo, et mente confúsa est, quóniam audiébat unusquísque lingua sua illos loquéntes. Stupébant autem omnes et mirabántur, dicéntes: Nonne ecce omnes isti, qui loquúntur, Galilaei sunt? Et quómodo nos audívimus unusquísque linguam nostram, in qua nati sumus? Parthi et Medi et Ælamítæ et qui hábitant Mesopotámiam, Iudaeam et Cappadóciam, Pontum et Asiam, Phrýgiam et Pamphýliam, Ægýptum et partes Líbyæ, quæ est circa Cyrénen, et ádvenæ Románi, Iudaei quoque et Prosélyti, Cretes et Arabes: audívimus eos loquéntes nostris linguis magnália Dei.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the Acts of Apostles

Acts 2:1-11.

When the days of Pentecost were drawing to a close, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a violent wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them parted tongues as of fire, which settled upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy spirit and began to speak in foreign tongues, even as the Holy Spirit prompted them to speak. Now there were staying at Jerusalem, devout Jews, from every nation under heaven. And when this sound was heard, the multitude gathered and were bewildered in mind, because each heard them speaking in his own language. But they were all amazed and marvelled saying, Behold, are not all these that are speaking Galileans? And how have we heard each his own language in which he was born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphilia, Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, Jews also and proselytes, Cretens and Arabians, we have heard them speaking in our own languages of the wonderful works of God.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes 14:23-31

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Si quis díligit me, sermónem meum servábit, et Pater meus díliget eum, et ad eum veniémus et mansiónem apud eum faciémus: qui non díligit me, sermónes meos non servat. Et sermónem quem audístis, non est meus: sed eius, qui misit me, Patris. Hæc locútus sum vobis, apud vos manens. Paráclitus autem Spíritus Sanctus, quem mittet Pater in nómine meo, ille vos docébit ómnia et súggeret vobis ómnia, quæcúmque díxero vobis. Pacem relínquo vobis, pacem meam do vobis: non quómodo mundus dat, ego do vobis. Non turbátur cor vestrum neque formídet. Audístis, quia ego dixi vobis: Vado et vénio ad vos. Si diligere tis me, gaudere tis utique, quia vado ad Patrem: quia Pater maior me est. Et nunc dixi vobis, priúsquam fiat: ut, cum factum fúerit, credátis. Iam non multa loquar vobíscum. Venit enim princeps mundi huius, et in me non habet quidquam. Sed ut cognóscat mundus, quia díligo Patrem, et sicut mandátum dedit mihi Pater, sic fácio.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John 14:23-31.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: If anyone love Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me, does not keep My words. And the word that you have heard is not Mine, but the Father’s Who sent Me. These things I have spoken to you while yet dwelling with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, or be afraid. You have heard Me say to you, ‘I go away and I am coming to you.’ If you loved Me, you would indeed rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it comes to pass, that when it has come to pass you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the prince of the world is coming an in Me he has nothing. But he comes that the world may know that I love the Father, and that I do as the Father has commanded Me.

R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

The gift of Wisdom is an illumination of the Holy Ghost, thanks to which our intellect is able to look at revealed truths in their more sublime light, to the great joy of our souls.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, Liturgical Apostolate, 1940, 1947, p. 703.

Trinity Sunday

Double of the First Class

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános

Rom 11:33-36.

O altitúdo divitiárum sapiéntiae et sciéntiæ Dei: quam incomprehensibília sunt iudícia eius, et investigábiles viæ eius! Quis enim cognovit sensum Dómini? Aut quis consiliárius eius fuit? Aut quis prior dedit illi, et retribuétur ei? Quóniam ex ipso et per ipsum et in ipso sunt ómnia: ipsi glória in saecula. Amen.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

Rom. Xi, 33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and of the knowledge of God! How incomprehensible and His judgments and how unsearchable His ways! For Who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor? Or who has first given to Him, that recompense should be made him? For from Him and through Him and unto Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever, amen.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 28:18-20

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Data est mihi omnis potéstas in coelo et in terra. Eúntes ergo docéte omnes gentes, baptizántes eos in nómine Patris, et Fílii, et Spíritus Sancti: docéntes eos serváre ómnia, quæcúmque mandávi vobis. Et ecce, ego vobíscum sum ómnibus diébus usque ad consummatiónem saeculi.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt xxviii, 18-20

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: All power in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and behold, I am with you all days, even unto the consummation of the world.

During the 'Time of Pentecost' Mother Church urges her children to be more docile to the promptings of the Holy Spirit Who desires to live in us and animate us with divine love, so that we shall grow in virtue and become ever more like the Holy One of God, our Lord Jesus Christ.

St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., New ed., 1963, p. 451.

The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity
    Lectionary: 166

Gospel JN 16:12-15
    "I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
    But when he comes, the Spirit of truth,
    he will guide you to all truth.
    He will not speak on his own,
    but he will speak what he hears,
    and will declare to you the things that are coming.
    He will glorify me,
    because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.
    Everything that the Father has is mine;
    for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine
    and declare it to you."

Commentary:

16:13 he will guide you: The work of the Spirit counteracts the work of Satan. The former discloses the full meaning of the gospel (14:26); the latter spreads deception and falsehood throughout the world (8:44). The point here is that the Spirit continues the teaching mission of Jesus to bear witness to the truth

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11977-11979). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Sunday within the Octave of Corpus Christi

Second Sunday after Pentecost

Semi-Double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Ioánnis Apóstoli

1 John iii, 13-18

Caríssimi: Nolíte mirári, si odit vos mundus. Nos scimus, quóniam transláti sumus de morte ad vitam, quóniam dilígimus fratres. Qui non díligit, manet in morte: omnis, qui odit fratrem suum, homícida est. Et scitis, quóniam omnis homícida non habet vitam ætérnam in semetípso manéntem. In hoc cognóvimus caritátem Dei, quóniam ille ánimam suam pro nobis pósuit: et nos debémus pro frátribus ánimas pónere. Qui habúerit substántiam huius mundi, et víderit fratrem suum necessitátem habére, et cláuserit víscera sua ab eo: quómodo cáritas Dei manet in eo? Filíoli mei, non diligámus verbo neque lingua, sed ópere et veritáte.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St John the Apostle

1 John iii, 13-18.

Beloved: Do not be surprised if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. In this we have come to know His love, that He laid down His life for us; and we likewise ought to lay down our life for the brethren. He who has the goods of this world and sees his brother in need and closes his heart to him, how does the love of God abide in him? My dear children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue, but in deed and in truth.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xiv, 16-24

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus pharisaeis parábolam hanc: Homo quidam fecit coenam magnam, et vocávit multos. Et misit servum suum hora coenæ dícere invitátis, ut venírent, quia iam paráta sunt ómnia. Et coepérunt simul omnes excusáre. Primus dixit ei: Villam emi, et necésse hábeo exíre et vidére illam: rogo te, habe me excusátum. Et alter dixit: Iuga boum emi quinque et eo probáre illa: rogo te, habe me excusátum. Et álius dixit: Uxórem duxi, et ídeo non possum veníre. Et revérsus servus nuntiávit hæc dómino suo. Tunc irátus paterfamílias, dixit servo suo: Exi cito in pláteas et vicos civitátis: et páuperes ac débiles et coecos et claudos íntroduc huc. Et ait servus: Dómine, factum est, ut imperásti, et adhuc locus est. Et ait dóminus servo: Exi in vias et sepes: et compélle intrare, ut impleátur domus mea. Dico autem vobis, quod nemo virórum illórum, qui vocáti sunt, gustábit coenam meam

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

At that time, Jesus spoke to the Pharisees this parable: A certain man gave a great supper, and he invited many. And he sent his servant at supper time to tell those invited to come, for everything is now ready. And they all with one accord began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a farm, and I must go out and see it; I pray you hold me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am on my way to try them; I pray you hold me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ And the servant returned, and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house was angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor, and the crippled, and the blind, and the lame.’ And the servant said, ‘Sir, your order has been carried out, and still there is room.’ Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and make them come in, so that my house may be filled. For I tell you that none of those who were invited shall taste of my supper.’

The Mass of this Sunday is most appropriate to the Octvae, for the Epistle treats of the supreme law of Charity and the Gospel gives the remarkable parable of the banquet. That parable shows how men would seek excuses to decline God’s gifts as they were a nuisance. So, in fact, men find excuses to avoid Mass and Communion.
    The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., p. 665.

• Advertisement

Sunday within the Octave of the Feast of the Sacred Heart
    Being the Third Sunday after Pentecost

Third Sunday after Pentecost
    Semi-Double

Commemoration of St Margaret, Queen of the Scots
    White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli

1 Pet V. 6-11

Caríssimi: Humiliámini sub poténti manu Dei, ut vos exáltet in témpore visitatiónis: omnem sollicitúdinem vestram proiiciéntes in eum, quóniam ipsi cura est de vobis. Sóbrii estote et vigiláte: quia adversárius vester diábolus tamquam leo rúgiens circuit, quærens, quem dévoret: cui resístite fortes in fide: sciéntes eándem passiónem ei, quæ in mundo est, vestræ fraternitáti fíeri. Deus autem omnis grátiæ, qui vocávit nos in ætérnam suam glóriam in Christo Iesu, módicum passos ipse perfíciet, confirmábit solidabítque. Ipsi glória et impérium in saecula sæculórum. Amen.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St Peter the Apostle

1 Pet V, 6-11

Beloved: Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in the time of visitation; cast all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you. Be sober, be watchful! For your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same suffering befalls your brethren all over the world. But the God of all grace, Who has called us unto His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself, after we have suffered a little while, perfect, strengthen and establish us. To Him is the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc XV, 1-10

In illo témpore: Erant appropinquántes ad Iesum publicáni et peccatóres, ut audírent illum. Et murmurábant pharisaei et scribæ, dicéntes: Quia hic peccatóres recipit et mandúcat cum illis. Et ait ad illos parábolam istam, dicens: Quis ex vobis homo, qui habet centum oves: et si perdíderit unam ex illis, nonne dimíttit nonagínta novem in desérto, et vadit ad illam, quæ períerat, donec invéniat eam? Et cum invénerit eam, impónit in húmeros suos gaudens: et véniens domum, cónvocat amícos et vicínos, dicens illis: Congratulámini mihi, quia invéni ovem meam, quæ períerat? Dico vobis, quod ita gáudium erit in coelo super uno peccatóre poeniténtiam agénte, quam super nonagínta novem iustis, qui non índigent poeniténtia. Aut quæ múlier habens drachmas decem, si perdíderit drachmam unam, nonne accéndit lucérnam, et evérrit domum, et quærit diligénter, donec invéniat? Et cum invénerit, cónvocat amícas et vicínas, dicens: Congratulámini mihi, quia invéni drachmam, quam perdíderam? Ita dico vobis: gáudium erit coram Angelis Dei super uno peccatóre poeniténtiam agénte.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

A t that time, the publicans and sinners were drawing near to Him to listen to Him. And the Pharisees and the Scribes murmured, saying, This man welcomes sinners and eats with them. But He spoke to them this parable, saying, What man of you having a hundred sheep, and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the desert, and go after that which is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it upon his shoulders rejoicing. And on coming home he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, because I have found my sheep that was lost.’ I say to you that, even so, there will be joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, more then over ninety-nine just who have no need of repentance. Or what woman, having ten drachmas, if she loses one drachma, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma that I had lost.’ Even so, I say to you, there will be joy among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

The Gospel of this Sunday contains the parable of the lost sheep, which expresses in a wonderfully vivid way God’s love for the sinner. None but a divine teacher God searching for the sinner as a poor woman searches for a lost coin, or a farm for a lost sheep, and rejoicing like them when the search is successful.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 673.

Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 99

Gospel LK 9:51-62
    When the days for Jesus' being taken up were fulfilled,
    he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem,
    and he sent messengers ahead of him.
    On the way they entered a Samaritan village
    to prepare for his reception there,
    but they would not welcome him
    because the destination of his journey was Jerusalem.
    When the disciples James and John saw this they asked,
    "Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven
    to consume them?"
    Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they journeyed to another village.

As they were proceeding on their journey someone said to him,
    "I will follow you wherever you go."
    Jesus answered him,
    "Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
    but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head."

And to another he said, "Follow me."
    But he replied, "Lord, let me go first and bury my father."
    But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead.
    But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
    And another said, "I will follow you, Lord,
    but first let me say farewell to my family at home."
    To him Jesus said, "No one who sets a hand to the plow
    and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God."

Commentary:

9:52 the Samaritans: Samaritan territory lies in central Palestine, between Judea (south) and Galilee (north). Historically, Jews and Samaritans were bitter enemies who worshiped in rival sanctuaries, the former in Jerusalem and the latter on Mt. Gerizim

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 8850-8852). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános

Rom 8:18-23.

Fratres: Exístimo, quod non sunt condígnæ passiónes huius témporis ad futúram glóriam, quæ revelábitur in nobis. Nam exspectátio creatúræ revelatiónem filiórum Dei exspéctat. Vanitáti enim creatúra subiécta est, non volens, sed propter eum, qui subiécit eam in spe: quia et ipsa creatúra liberábitur a servitúte corruptiónis, in libertátem glóriæ filiórum Dei. Scimus enim, quod omnis creatúra ingemíscit et párturit usque adhuc. Non solum autem illa, sed et nos ipsi primítias spíritus habéntes: et ipsi intra nos gémimus, adoptiónem filiórum Dei exspectántes, redemptiónem córporis nostri: in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro. Amen.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Pet 5:6-11

Brethren: I reckon that the sufferings of the present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come that will be revealed in us. For the eager longing of creation awaits the revelation of the sons of God. For creation was made subject to vanity - not by its own will but by reason of Him Who made it subject - in hope, because creation itself also will be delivered from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the sons of God. For we know that all creation groans and travails in pain until now. And not only it, but we ourselves also who have the first-fruits of the Spirit - we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption as sons of God, the redemption of our body, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 5:1-11

In illo témpore: Cum turbæ irrúerent in Iesum, ut audírent verbum Dei, et ipse stabat secus stagnum Genésareth. Et vidit duas naves stantes secus stagnum: piscatóres autem descénderant et lavábant rétia. Ascéndens autem in unam navim, quæ erat Simónis, rogávit eum a terra redúcere pusíllum. Et sedens docébat de navícula turbas. Ut cessávit autem loqui, dixit ad Simónem: Duc in altum, et laxáte rétia vestra in captúram. Et respóndens Simon, dixit illi: Præcéptor, per totam noctem laborántes, nihil cépimus: in verbo autem tuo laxábo rete. Et cum hoc fecíssent, conclusérunt píscium multitúdinem copiósam: rumpebátur autem rete eórum. Et annuérunt sóciis, qui erant in ália navi, ut venírent et adiuvárent eos. Et venérunt, et implevérunt ambas navículas, ita ut pæne mergeréntur. Quod cum vidéret Simon Petrus, prócidit ad génua Iesu, dicens: Exi a me, quia homo peccátor sum, Dómine. Stupor enim circumdéderat eum et omnes, qui cum illo erant, in captúra píscium, quam céperant: simíliter autem Iacóbum et Ioánnem, fílios Zebedaei, qui erant sócii Simónis. Et ait ad Simónem Iesus: Noli timére: ex hoc iam hómines eris cápiens. Et subdúctis ad terram návibus, relictis ómnibus, secuti sunt eum.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke 5:1-11.

At that time, while the crowds were pressing upon Jesus to hear the word of God, He was standing by Lake Genesareth. And He saw two boats moored by the lake, but the fishermen had left them and were washing their nets. And getting into one of the boats, the one that was Simon’s. He asked him to put out a little from the land. And sitting down, He began to teach the crowds from the boat. But when He had ceased speaking, He said to Simon, Put out into the deep, and lower your nets for a catch. And Simon answered and said to Him, Master, the whole night through we have toiled and have taken nothing; but at Thy word I will lower the net. And when they had done so, they enclosed a great number of fishes, but their net was breaking. And they beckoned to their comrades in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw this, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord. For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish they had made; and so were also James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, Do not be afraid; henceforth you shall catch men. And when they had brought their boats to land, they left all and followed Him.

It was from Peter’s boat that Our Lord chose to preach; it was Simon Peter that He told to launch out into the deep, and it was he who, at the Master’s word of command, laid down the nets which became so full that they broke. Finally, it was Peter who overcome with astonishment and fear, adored His Master and was chosen by Him as a fisher of men.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feast, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 799.

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 102

Gospel LK 10:1-12, 17-20
    At that time the Lord appointed seventy-two others
    whom he sent ahead of him in pairs
    to every town and place he intended to visit.
    He said to them,
    "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few;
    so ask the master of the harvest
    to send out laborers for his harvest.
    Go on your way;
    behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves.
    Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals;
    and greet no one along the way.
    Into whatever house you enter, first say,
    'Peace to this household.'
    If a peaceful person lives there,
    your peace will rest on him;
    but if not, it will return to you.
    Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you,
    for the laborer deserves his payment.
    Do not move about from one house to another.
    Whatever town you enter and they welcome you,
    eat what is set before you,
    cure the sick in it and say to them,
    'The kingdom of God is at hand for you.'
    Whatever town you enter and they do not receive you,
    go out into the streets and say,
    'The dust of your town that clings to our feet,
    even that we shake off against you.'
    Yet know this: the kingdom of God is at hand.
    I tell you,
    it will be more tolerable for Sodom on that day than for that town."

The seventy-two returned rejoicing, and said,
    "Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name."
    Jesus said, "I have observed Satan fall like lightning from the sky.
    Behold, I have given you the power to 'tread upon serpents' and scorpions
    and upon the full force of the enemy and nothing will harm you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you,
    but rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

Commentary:
    10:2 The harvest: A picture of God's people ready to be gathered into the kingdom (Mt 9:37; Jn 4:35). • Similar imagery in Is 27:12-13 depicts the restoration of Israel from exile as the ingathering of a grain harvest.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 8850-8852). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
    Commemoration of St Bonaventure, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor of the Church
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli.

1 Pet 3:8-15

Caríssimi: Omnes unánimes in oratióne estóte, compatiéntes, fraternitátis amatóres, misericórdes, modésti, húmiles: non reddéntes malum pro malo, nec maledíctum pro maledícto, sed e contrário benedicéntes: quia in hoc vocáti estis, ut benedictiónem hereditáte possideátis. Qui enim vult vitam dilígere et dies vidére bonos, coérceat linguam suam a malo, et lábia eius ne loquántur dolum. Declínet a malo, et fáciat bonum: inquírat pacem, et sequátur eam. Quia óculi Dómini super iustos, et aures eius in preces eórum: vultus autem Dómini super faciéntes mala. Et quis est, qui vobis nóceat, si boni æmulatóres fuéritis? Sed et si quid patímini propter iustítiam, beáti. Timórem autem eórum ne timuéritis: et non conturbémini. Dóminum autem Christum sanctificáte in córdibus vestris. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Beloved: Be all like-minded in prayer, compassionate, lovers of the brethren, merciful, reserved, humble; not rendering evil for evil, or abuse for abuse, but contrariwise, blessing; for unto this were you called that you might inherit a blessing. For, He who would love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good, let him seek after peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are upon the just, and His ears unto their prayers; but the face of the lord is against those who do evil. And who is there to harm you, if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you suffer anything for justice’ sake, blessed are you. So have no fear of their fear and do not be troubled. But hallow the Lord Christ in your hearts. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum..

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 5:20-24

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Nisi abundáverit iustítia vestra plus quam scribárum et pharisæórum, non intrábitis in regnum coelórum. Audístis, quia dic tum est antíquis: Non occídes: qui autem occídent, re us erit iudício. Ego autem dico vobis: quia omnis, qu iráscitur fratri suo, reus erit iudício. Qui autem díxerit fratri suo, raca: reus erit concílio. Qui autem díxerit, fatue: reus erit gehénnæ ignis Si ergo offers munus tuum ad altáre, et ibi recordátus fúeris, quia frater tuus habet áliquid advérsum te: relínque ibi munus tuum ante altáre et vade prius reconciliári fratri tuo: et tunc véniens ófferes munus tuum.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt. 5:20-24.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Unless your justice exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘You shall not kill’; and that whoever shall kill shall be liable to judgment. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be liable to the Sanhedrin; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’, shall be liable to the fire of Gehenna. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift before the altar and go first to be reconciled to your brother; and then come and offer your gift.

‘The true sacrifice is reconciliation with our brother’ says St John Chrysostom ‘The first sacrifice is necessary to offer to God ‘adds Bossuet ‘is a heart set free from coldness and unfriendliness towards one’s brother.’ (Meditations, 14th day).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940-1947, p. 807.

Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 105

Gospel LK 10:25-37
    There was a scholar of the law who stood up to test Jesus and said,
    "Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
    Jesus said to him, "What is written in the law?
    How do you read it?"
    He said in reply,
    "You shall love the Lord, your God,
    with all your heart,
    with all your being,
    with all your strength,
    and with all your mind,
    and your neighbor as yourself."
    He replied to him, "You have answered correctly;
    do this and you will live."

But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus,
    "And who is my neighbor?"
    Jesus replied,
    "A man fell victim to robbers
    as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho.
    They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead.
    A priest happened to be going down that road,
    but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
    Likewise a Levite came to the place,
    and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
    But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him
    was moved with compassion at the sight.
    He approached the victim,
    poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them.
    Then he lifted him up on his own animal,
    took him to an inn, and cared for him.
    The next day he took out two silver coins
    and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction,
    'Take care of him.
    If you spend more than what I have given you,
    I shall repay you on my way back.'
    Which of these three, in your opinion,
    was neighbor to the robbers' victim?"
    He answered, "The one who treated him with mercy."
    Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Commentary:

10:30-37 The parable of the Good Samaritan presents both a moral and a theological lesson. Morally, Jesus teaches that love for our neighbor must accompany our love for God. These together, and not one without the other, are indispensable for living in God's friendship. Theologically, Jesus illustrates that holiness as defined by the Old Covenant is now surpassed by the holiness of the New.

Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános.

Rom 6:3-11

Fratres: Quicúmque baptizáti sumus in Christo Iesu, in morte ipsíus baptizáti sumus. Consepúlti enim sumus cum illo per baptísmum in mortem: ut, quómodo Christus surréxit a mórtuis per glóriam Patris, ita et nos in novitáte vitæ ambulémus. Si enim complantáti facti sumus similitúdini mortis eius: simul et resurrectiónis érimus. Hoc sciéntes, quia vetus homo noster simul crucifíxus est: ut destruátur corpus peccáti, et ultra non serviámus peccáto. Qui enim mórtuus est, iustificátus est a peccáto. Si autem mórtui sumus cum Christo: crédimus, quia simul étiam vivémus cum Christo: sciéntes, quod Christus resurgens ex mórtuis, iam non móritur, mors illi ultra non dominábitur. Quod enim mórtuus est peccáto, mórtuus est semel: quod autem vivit, vivit Deo. Ita et vos existimáte, vos mórtuos quidem esse peccáto, vivéntes autem Deo, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Brethren: All we who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death. For we were buried with Him by means of Baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ has arisen from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with Him in the likeness of His death, we shall be so in the likeness of His resurrection also. For we know that our old self has been crucified with Him, in order that the body of sin may be destroyed, that we may no longer be slaves to sin; for he who is dead is acquitted of sin. But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live together with Christ; for we know that Christ, having risen from the dead, dies now no more, death shall no longer have dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all, but the life that He lives, He lives unto God. Thus do you consider yourselves also as dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc 8:1-9

I n illo témpore: Cum turba multa esset cum Iesu, nec haberent, quod manducárent, convocatis discípulis, ait illis: Miséreor super turbam: quia ecce iam tríduo sústinent me, nec habent quod mandúcent: et si dimísero eos ieiúnos in domum suam, defícient in via: quidam enim ex eis de longe venérunt. Et respondérunt ei discípuli sui: Unde illos quis póterit hic saturáre pánibus in solitúdine? Et interrogávit eos: Quot panes habétis? Qui dixérunt: Septem. Et præcépit turbæ discúmbere super terram. Et accípiens septem panes, grátias agens fregit, et dabat discípulis suis, ut appónerent, et apposuérunt turbæ. Et habébant piscículos paucos: et ipsos benedíxit, et iussit appóni. Et manducavérunt, et saturáti sunt, et sustulérunt quod superáverat de fragméntis, septem sportas. Erant autem qui manducáverant, quasi quatuor mília: et dimísit eos.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. 5:20-24.

A At that time, when there was a great crowd with Jesus, and they had nothing to eat, He called His disciples together and said to them, I have compassion on the crowd, for behold, they have now been with Me three days, and have nothing to eat; and if I send them away to their homes fasting, they will faint on the way, for some of them have come from a distance. And His disciples answered Him, How will anyone be able to satisfy these with bread, here in a desert? And He asked them, How many loaves have you? And they said, Seven. And He bade the crowd recline on the ground. Then taking the seven loaves, He gave thanks, broke them and gave them to His disciples to distribute; and they set them before the crowd. And they had a few little fishes; and He blessed them, and ordered them to be distributed. And they ate and were satisfied; and they took up what was left of the fragments, seven baskets. Now those who had eaten were about four thousand. And He dismissed them.

Easter time has passed, but its spirit should never pass. Christ died once and now lives His glorious unending life. We also should remain dead to sin and continue to live together with Christ, the new life of holiness, nourished by the Holy Eucharist which is typified by the miraculous multiplication of loaves.
    This divine bread is viaticum or food for the way, both for our journey through this life and for that of the souls into eternity. Hence the name viaticum given to the Eucharist when received in danger of death.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], p. 813.

Seventh Sunday after Pentecost
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom vi.19-23

Fratres: Humánum dico, propter infirmitátem carnis vestræ: sicut enim exhibuístis membra vestra servíre immundítiæ et iniquitáti ad iniquitátem, ita nunc exhibéte membra vestra servíre iustítiæ in sanctificatiónem. Cum enim servi essétis peccáti, líberi fuístis iustítiæ. Quem ergo fructum habuístis tunc in illis, in quibus nunc erubéscitis? Nam finis illórum mors est. Nunc vero liberáti a peccáto, servi autem facti Deo, habétis fructum vestrum in sanctificatiónem, finem vero vitam ætérnam. Stipéndia enim peccáti mors. Grátia autem Dei vita ætérna, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.

Lesson

Rom vi. 19-23

1 Pet v, 6-11

Brethren: I speak in a human way because of the weakness of your flesh; for as you yielded your members as slaves of uncleanness and iniquity unto iniquity, so now yield your members as slaves of justice unto sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free as regards justice. But what fruit had you then from those things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of these things is death. But now set free from sin and become slaves to God, you have your fruit unto sanctification, and as your end, life everlasting. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is life everlasting in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt vii, 15-21

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Atténdite a falsis prophétis, qui véniunt ad vos in vestiméntis óvium, intrínsecus autem sunt lupi rapáces: a frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Numquid cólligunt de spinis uvas, aut de tríbulis ficus ? Sic omnis arbor bona fructus bonos facit: mala autem arbor malos fructus facit. Non potest arbor bona malos fructus fácere: neque arbor mala bonos fructus fácere. Omnis arbor, quæ non facit fructum bonum, excidétur et in ignem mittétur. Igitur ex frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Non omnis, qui dicit mihi, Dómine, Dómine, intrábit in regnum coelórum: sed qui facit voluntátem Patris mei, qui in coelis est, ipse intrábit in regnum coelórum. R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. vii, 15-21

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore, by their fruits you will know them. Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father in heaven shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

In words addressed to the Holy Ghost, ‘sevenfold’ in grace, the Church prays in the sequence for Pentecost:
    ‘Grant to thy faithful, dearest Lord,
    Whose only hope is Thy Word,
    Thy sevenfold gift of grace.’
    The first of these gifts is fear of God which is the found of all the others (Gradual); the seventh is the gift of wisdom, an enlightening from the Holy Ghost, thanks to which our intelligence is able to contemplate the truth of faith, set in a glorious light and in doing so may find great joy.
    The sacred number seven which is borne by this Sunday (the seventh after Pentecost), suggests that it is this gift of wisdom that is the object of today’s liturgy, and that with the Church itself, we ought to ask for it from the Holy Ghost.

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 111
    Gospel LK 11:1-13
    Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished,
    one of his disciples said to him,
    "Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples."
    He said to them, "When you pray, say:
    Father, hallowed be your name,
    your kingdom come.
    Give us each day our daily bread
    and forgive us our sins
    for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us,
    and do not subject us to the final test."

And he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend
    to whom he goes at midnight and says,
    'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
    for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey
    and I have nothing to offer him,'
    and he says in reply from within,
    'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked
    and my children and I are already in bed.
    I cannot get up to give you anything.'
    I tell you,
    if he does not get up to give the visitor the loaves
    because of their friendship,
    he will get up to give him whatever he needs
    because of his persistence.

"And I tell you, ask and you will receive;
    seek and you will find;
    knock and the door will be opened to you.
    For everyone who asks, receives;
    and the one who seeks, finds;
    and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
    What father among you would hand his son a snake
    when he asks for a fish?
    Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg?
    If you then, who are wicked,
    know how to give good gifts to your children,
    how much more will the Father in heaven
    give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"

Commentary:
    11:2-4 A shorter version of the Our Father from Mt 6:9-13. As a model of prayer, it leads us first to adore God as our Father, and only then to petition him with our spiritual and material needs. Because it calls us to converse with the Lord on a daily basis, it is a sure means to deepen our relationship with him and develop confidence in his fatherly care. The repetition of the word us makes it is a family prayer for the Church

___

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost
    Commemoration of St Dominic Confessor
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom viii, 12-17

Fratres: Debitóres sumus non carni, ut secúndum carnem vivámus. Si enim secúndum carnem vixéritis, moriémini: si autem spíritu facta carnis mortificavéritis, vivétis. Quicúmque enim spíritu Dei aguntur, ii sunt fílii Dei. Non enim accepístis spíritum servitútis íterum in timóre, sed accepístis spíritum adoptiónis filiórum, in quo clamámus: Abba - Pater. - Ipse enim Spíritus testimónium reddit spirítui nostro, quod sumus fílii Dei. Si autem fílii, et herédes: herédes quidem Dei, coherédes autem Christi.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Rom 8:12-17

Rom viii, 12-17

Brethren: We are debtors, not to the flesh, that we should live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the flesh, you will live. For whoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage so as to be again in fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons, by virtue of which we cry, Abba! Father! The Spirit Himself gives testimony to our spirit that we are sons of God. But if we are sons, we are heirs also: heirs indeed of God and joint heirs with Christ.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xvi, 1-9

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis parábolam hanc: Homo quidam erat dives, qui habébat víllicum: et hic diffamátus est apud illum, quasi dissipásset bona ipsíus. Et vocávit illum et ait illi: Quid hoc audio de te? redde ratiónem villicatiónis tuæ: iam enim non póteris villicáre. Ait autem víllicus intra se: Quid fáciam, quia dóminus meus aufert a me villicatiónem? fódere non váleo, mendicáre erubésco. Scio, quid fáciam, ut, cum amótus fúero a villicatióne, recípiant me in domos suas. Convocátis itaque síngulis debitóribus dómini sui, dicébat primo: Quantum debes dómino meo? At ille dixit: Centum cados ólei. Dixítque illi: Accipe cautiónem tuam: et sede cito, scribe quinquagínta. Deínde álii dixit: Tu vero quantum debes? Qui ait: Centum coros trítici. Ait illi: Accipe lítteras tuas, et scribe octogínta. Et laudávit dóminus víllicum iniquitátis, quia prudénter fecísset: quia fílii huius saeculi prudentióres fíliis lucis in generatióne sua sunt. Et ego vobis dico: fácite vobis amicos de mammóna iniquitátis: ut, cum defecéritis, recípiant vos in ætérna tabernácula.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke xvi, 1-9

At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: There was a certain rich man who had a steward, who was reported to him as squandering his possessions. And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear of you? Make an accounting of your stewardship, for you can be steward no longer.’ And the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do, seeing that my master is taking away the stewardship from me? To dig I am not able; to beg I am ashamed. I know what I shall do, that when I am removed from my stewardship they may receive me into their houses.’ And he summoned each of his master’s debtors and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ And he said, ‘A hundred jars of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and sit down at once and write fifty.’ Then he said to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred kors of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and write eighty.’ And the master commended the unjust steward, in that he had acted prudently; for the children of this world, in relation to their own generation, are more prudent than the children of the light. And I say to you, make friends for yourselves with the mammon of wickedness, so that when you fail they may receive you into the everlasting dwellings.

At Pentecost the Church received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost and to-day’s liturgy shows us its happy results. This blessed Spirit makes us children of God since we are led by Him to say in simple truth: Our Father. Therefore we are assured of our heavenly inheritance (Epistle). But to obtain this assurance we must live for God, in living by Him (Collect) letting ourselves be led in by all things by the Spirit of God (Epistle) so shall we be one day welcomed by God into everlasting dwellings (Gospel).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 815.

• Advertisement

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 114

Gospel LK 12:13-21
    Someone in the crowd said to Jesus,
    “Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me.”
    He replied to him,
    “Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?”
    Then he said to the crowd,
    “Take care to guard against all greed,
    for though one may be rich,
    one’s life does not consist of possessions.”

Then he told them a parable.
    “There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
    He asked himself, ‘What shall I do,
    for I do not have space to store my harvest?’
    And he said, ‘This is what I shall do:
    I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.
    There I shall store all my grain and other goods
    and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you,
    you have so many good things stored up for many years,
    rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’
    But God said to him,
    ‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
    and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’
    Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves
    but are not rich in what matters to God.”

Commentary:
    12:13 the inheritance: Jesus is asked to arbitrate a fraternal dispute over an inheritance. Seeing that family wealth is causing family divisions, he responds with a parable on the danger of riches

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost
    Commemoration of Second Day within the Octave of St Lawrence
    Semi Double
    [/I]
    Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor x. 6-13

Fratres: Non simus concupiscéntes malórum, sicut et illi concupiérunt. Neque idolólatræ efficiámini, sicut quidam ex ipsis: quemádmodum scriptum est: Sedit pópulus manducáre et bíbere, et surrexérunt lúdere. Neque fornicémur, sicut quidam ex ipsis fornicáti sunt, et cecidérunt una die vigínti tria mília. Neque tentémus Christum, sicut quidam eórum tentavérunt, et a serpéntibus periérunt. Neque murmuravéritis, sicut quidam eórum murmuravérunt, et periérunt ab exterminatóre. Hæc autem ómnia in figúra contingébant illis: scripta sunt autem ad correptiónem nostram, in quos fines sæculórum devenérunt. Itaque qui se exístimat stare, vídeat ne cadat. Tentátio vos non apprehéndat, nisi humána: fidélis autem Deus est, qui non patiétur vos tentári supra id, quod potéstis, sed fáciet étiam cum tentatióne provéntum, ut póssitis sustinére.asi lucérnæ lucénti in caliginóso loco, donec dies elucescat et lucifer oriátur in córdibus vestris.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul to the Corinthians

1 Cor x. 6-13

2 Pet. 1:16-19

Brethren: We should not lust after evil things even as they lusted. And do not become idolaters, even as some of them were, as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, even as some of them committed fornication, and there fell in one day twenty-three thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them tempted, and perished by the serpents. Neither murmur, as some of them murmured, and perished at the hands of the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as a type, and they were written for our correction, upon whom the final age of the world has come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. May no temptation take hold of you but such as man is equal to. God is faithful and will not permit you to be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also give you a way out that you may be able to bear it.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xix, 41-47

I n illo témpore: Cum appropinquáret Jesus Jerúsalem, videns civitátem, flevit super illam, dicens: Quia si cognovísses et tu, et quidem in hac die tua, quæ ad pacem tibi, nunc autem abscóndita sunt ab óculis tuis. Quia vénient dies in te: et circúmdabunt te inimíci tui vallo, et circúmdabunt te: et coangustábunt te úndique: et ad terram prostérnent te, et fílios tuos, qui in te sunt, et non relínquent in te lápidem super lápidem: eo quod non cognóveris tempus visitatiónis tuæ. Et ingréssus in templum, coepit ejícere vendéntes in illo et eméntes, dicens illis: Scriptum est: Quia domus mea domus oratiónis est. Vos autem fecístis illam speluncam latrónum. Et erat docens cotídie in templo.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luc xix, 41-47

A t that time, when Jesus drew near to Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it, saying, If you had known, in this your day, even you, the things that are for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a rampart about you, and surround you and shut you in on every side, and will dash you to the ground and your children within you, and will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you have not known the time of your visitation. And He entered the temple, and began to cast out those who were selling and buying in it, saying to them, It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of thieves. And He was teaching daily in the temple.

Today’s liturgy lays stress on the terrible punishments which will one day be inflicted on those who denied Christ. They will all perish and not one of them will enter the kingdom of heaven. Those who will have been faithful to Him through all the adversities of this life, will one also one day, be saved from the hands of their enemies and will follow him into heaven, whither he went at His Ascension, whose feast the Church celebrates at Paschaltide. These thoughts about God’s justice are suggested on this ninth Sunday after Pentecost by the story of the Prophet Elias which the Church reads in the Breviary at this time.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 826.

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 117

LK 12:35-40
    “Gird your loins and light your lamps
    and be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding,
    ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.
    Blessed are those servants
    whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival.
    Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself,
    have the servants recline at table, and proceed to wait on them.
    And should he come in the second or third watch
    and find them prepared in this way,
    blessed are those servants.
    Be sure of this:
    if the master of the house had known the hour
    when the thief was coming,
    he would not have let his house be broken into.
    You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect,
    the Son of Man will come.”

Commentary:
    12:38 second watch . . . third: Between 10 P.M. and sunrise. The Romans divided the night into four watches (Mk 13:35), while the Jews divided it into three (Judg 7:19). This parable seems to follow the Jewish calculation, where servants stand ready for their master throughout the night

Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
    Semi-double
    [/I]
    Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corínthios.

1 Cor xii. 2-11

Fratres: Scitis, quóniam, cum gentes essétis, ad simulácra muta prout ducebámini eúntes. Ideo notum vobisfacio, quod nemo in Spíritu Dei loquens, dicit anáthema Iesu. Et nemo potest dícere, Dóminus Iesus, nisi in Spíritu Sancto. Divisiónes vero gratiárum sunt, idem autem Spíritus. Et divisiónes ministratiónum sunt, idem autem Dóminus. Et divisiónes operatiónum sunt, idem vero Deus, qui operátur ómnia in ómnibus. Unicuíque autem datur manifestátio Spíritus ad utilitátem. Alii quidem per Spíritum datur sermo sapiéntiæ álii autem sermo sciéntiæ secúndum eúndem Spíritum: álteri fides in eódem Spíritu: álii grátia sanitátum in uno Spíritu: álii operátio virtútum, álii prophétia, álii discrétio spirítuum, álii génera linguárum, álii interpretátio sermónum. Hæc autem ómnia operátur unus atque idem Spíritus, dívidens síngulis, prout vult.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor xii. 2-11

Brethren: You know that when you were Gentiles, you went to dumb idols according as you were led. Wherefore I give you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God, says Anathema to Jesus. And no one can say Jesus is Lord, except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of ministries, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of workings, but the same God, Who works all things in all. Now the manifestation of the Spirit is given to everyone for profit. To one through the Spirit is given the utterance of wisdom; and to another the utterance of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, in the same Spirit; to another the gift of healing, in the one Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another the distinguishing of spirits; to another various kinds of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues. But all these things are the work of one and the same Spirit, Who allots to everyone according as He will.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xviii. 9-14.

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus ad quosdam, qui in se confidébant tamquam iusti et aspernabántur céteros, parábolam istam: Duo hómines ascendérunt in templum, ut orárent: unus pharisaeus, et alter publicánus. Pharisaeus stans, hæc apud se orábat: Deus, grátias ago tibi, quia non sum sicut céteri hóminum: raptóres, iniústi, adúlteri: velut étiam hic publicánus. Ieiúno bis in sábbato: décimas do ómnium, quæ possídeo. Et publicánus a longe stans nolébat nec óculos ad coelum leváre: sed percutiébat pectus suum, dicens: Deus, propítius esto mihi peccatóri.Dico vobis: descéndit hic iustificátus in domum suam ab illo: quia omnis qui se exáltat, humiliábitur: et qui se humíliat, exaltábitur.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke.

Luke 18:9-14

At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves as being just and despised others. Two men went up to the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and began to pray thus within himself: ‘O God, I thank You that I am not like the rest of men, robbers, dishonest, adulterers, or even like this publican. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I possess.’ But the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but kept striking his breast, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me the sinner!’ I tell you, this man went back to his home justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

The liturgy for this Sunday seeks to impress on us the true notion of Christian humility, which consists in attributing to the grace of Holy Ghost whatever sanctity we may have attained; for our acts can only be of a supernatural character, if they are inspired by the Holy Ghost whom our Lord sent upon His apostles on the day of Pentecost and whom He never ceases to give to those who ask.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 832.

Excellent post on this Sunday on the St Lawrence Press blog, published of an excellent Ordo which provides the Mass for each day using the typical edition of Roman Missal of 1939.

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 120

Gospel LK 12:49-53
    "I have come to set the earth on fire,
    and how I wish it were already blazing!
    There is a baptism with which I must be baptized,
    and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
    Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?
    No, I tell you, but rather division.
    From now on a household of five will be divided,
    three against two and two against three;
    a father will be divided against his son
    and a son against his father,
    a mother against her daughter

Commentary:
    12:49 Fire - A symbol of God's presence and love.

Eleventh Sunday After Pentecost
    Semi-double
    [/I]
    Green Vestments

Lectio

1 Cor xv. 1-10

Fratres: Notum vobis fácio Evangélium, quod prædicávi vobis, quod et accepístis, in quo et statis, per quod et salvámini: qua ratione prædicáverim vobis, si tenétis, nisi frustra credidístis. Trádidi enim vobis in primis, quod et accépi: quóniam Christus mortuus est pro peccátis nostris secúndum Scriptúras: et quia sepúltus est, et quia resurréxit tértia die secúndum Scriptúras: et quia visus est Cephæ, et post hoc úndecim. Deinde visus est plus quam quingéntis frátribus simul, ex quibus multi manent usque adhuc, quidam autem dormiérunt. Deinde visus est Iacóbo, deinde Apóstolis ómnibus: novíssime autem ómnium tamquam abortívo, visus est et mihi. Ego enim sum mínimus Apostolórum, qui non sum dignus vocári Apóstolus, quóniam persecútus sum Ecclésiam Dei. Grátia autem Dei sum id quod sum, et grátia eius in me vácua non fuit.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor. xv. 1-10

Brethren: I recall to your minds the Gospel that I preached to you, which also you received, wherein also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold it fast, as I preached it to you - unless you have believed to no purpose. For I delivered to you first of all, what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, and after that to the Eleven. Then He was seen by more than five hundred brethren at one time, many of whom are with us still, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by the Apostles. And last of all, as by one born out of due time, He was seen also by me. For I am the least of the Apostles, and am not worthy to be called an Apostle, because I persecuted the Church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace in me has not been fruitless.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc vii. 31-37

In illo témpore: Exiens Iesus de fínibus Tyri, venitper Sidónem ad mare Galilaeæ, inter médios fines Decapóleos. Et addú**** ei surdum et mutum, et deprecabántur eum, ut impónat illi manum. Et apprehéndens eum de turba seórsum, misit dígitos suos in aurículas eius: et éxspuens, tétigit linguam eius: et suspíciens in coelum, ingémuit, et ait illi: Ephphetha, quod est adaperíre. Et statim apértæ sunt aures eius, et solútum est vínculum linguæ eius, et loquebátur recte. Et præcépit illis, ne cui dícerent. Quanto autem eis præcipiébat, tanto magis plus prædicábant: et eo ámplius admirabántur, dicéntes: Bene ómnia fecit: et surdos fecit audíre et mutos loqui.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Mark vii. 31-37

At that time, Jesus departing from the district of Tyre came by way of Sidon to the sea of Galilee, through the midst of the district of Decapolis. And they brought to Him one deaf and dumb, and entreated Him to lay His hand upon him. And taking him aside from the crowd, He put His fingers into the man’s ears, and spitting, He sighed, and said to him, Ephpheta, that is, Be opened. And his ears were at once opened, and the bond of his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak correctly. And He charged them to tell no one. But the more He charged them, so much the more did they continue to publish it. And so much the more did they wonder, saying, He has done all things well. He has made both the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak.

St Paul at first persecuted the Church of Christ. But he was later converted and then ‘he spoke correctly.’ Like St. Paul we should draw our inspiration from Christ and truly rely on his graces which will enable us to be truly fruitful.
    St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., p. 494.

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 123

Gospel LK 13:22-30
    Jesus passed through towns and villages,
    teaching as he went and making his way to Jerusalem.
    Someone asked him,
    "Lord, will only a few people be saved?"
    He answered them,
    "Strive to enter through the narrow gate,
    for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter
    but will not be strong enough.
    After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door,
    then will you stand outside knocking and saying,
    'Lord, open the door for us.'
    He will say to you in reply,
    'I do not know where you are from.
    And you will say,
    'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.'
    Then he will say to you,
    'I do not know where you are from.
    Depart from me, all you evildoers!'
    And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth
    when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
    and all the prophets in the kingdom of God
    and you yourselves cast out.
    And people will come from the east and the west
    and from the north and the south
    and will recline at table in the kingdom of God.
    For behold, some are last who will be first,
    and some are first who will be last."

Commentary:
    13:24 the narrow door: Salvation depends first on God's grace, then on our cooperation and obedience (Eph 2:8-10; Phil 2:12-13). Jesus here stresses the difficulties of the spiritual life, where few will enter God's glory while the door remains open (Mt 22:14).

Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

2 Cor 3:4-9

Fratres: Fidúciam talem habémus per Christum ad Deum: non quod sufficiéntes simus cogitáre áliquid a nobis, quasi ex nobis: sed sufficiéntia nostra ex Deo est: qui et idóneos nos fecit minístros novi testaménti: non líttera, sed spíritu: líttera enim occídit, spíritus autem vivíficat. Quod si ministrátio mortis, lítteris deformáta in lapídibus, fuit in glória; ita ut non possent inténdere fili Israël in fáciem Moysi, propter glóriam vultus eius, quæ evacuátur: quómodo non magis ministrátio Spíritus erit in glória? Nam si ministrátio damnátionis glória est multo magis abúndat ministérium iustítiæ in glória.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the second letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

2 Cor 3:4-9

Brethren: Such is the assurance I have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God. He also it is Who has made us fit ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the spirit; for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life. Now if the ministration of death, which was engraved in letters upon stones, was inaugurated in such glory that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly upon the face of Moses on account of the transient glory that shone upon it, shall not the ministration of the spirit be still more glorious? For if there is glory in the ministration that condemned, much more does the ministration that justifies abound in glory.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 10:23-37

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Beáti óculi, qui vident quæ vos videtis. Dico enim vobis, quod multi prophétæ et reges voluérunt vidére quæ vos videtis, et non vidérunt: et audire quæ audítis, et non audiérunt. Et ecce, quidam legisperítus surréxit, tentans illum, et dicens: Magister, quid faciéndo vitam ætérnam possidébo? At ille dixit ad eum: In lege quid scriptum est? quómodo legis? Ille respóndens, dixit: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo, et ex tota ánima tua, et ex ómnibus víribus tuis; et ex omni mente tua: et próximum tuum sicut teípsum. Dixítque illi: Recte respondísti: hoc fac, et vives. Ille autem volens iustificáre seípsum, dixit ad Iesum: Et quis est meus próximus? Suscípiens autem Iesus, dixit: Homo quidam descendébat ab Ierúsalem in Iéricho, et íncidit in latrónes, qui étiam despoliavérunt eum: et plagis impósitis abiérunt, semivívo relícto. Accidit autem, ut sacerdos quidam descénderet eádem via: et viso illo præterívit. Simíliter et levíta, cum esset secus locum et vidéret eum, pertránsiit. Samaritánus autem quidam iter fáciens, venit secus eum: et videns eum, misericórdia motus est. Et apprópians, alligávit vulnera eius, infúndens óleum et vinum: et impónens illum in iuméntum suum, duxit in stábulum, et curam eius egit. Et áltera die prótulit duos denários et dedit stabulário, et ait: Curam illíus habe: et quodcúmque supererogáveris, ego cum redíero, reddam tibi. Quis horum trium vidétur tibi próximus fuísse illi, qui íncidit in latrónes? At lle dixit: Qui fecit misericórdiam in illum. Et ait illi Iesus: Vade, et tu fac simíliter.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke 10:23-37

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! For I say to you, many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and they have not seen it; and to hear what you hear, and they have not heard it. And behold, a certain lawyer got up to test Him, saying, Master, what must I do to gain eternal life? But He said to him, What is written in the Law? How do you read? He answered and said, You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole strength, and with your whole mind; and your neighbor as yourself. And He said to him, You have answered rightly; do this and you shall live. But he, wishing to justify himself, said to Jesus, And who is my neighbor? Jesus answered and said, A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell in with robbers, who after both stripping him and beating him went their way, leaving him half-dead. But, as it happened, a certain priest was going down the same way; and when he saw him, he passed by. And likewise a Levite also, when he was near the place and saw him, passed by. But a certain Samaritan as he journeyed came upon him, and seeing him, was moved with compassion. And he went up to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. And setting him on his own beast, he brought him to an inn and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I, on my way back, will repay you.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, proved himself neighbor to him who fell among the robbers? And he said, He who took pity on him. And Jesus said to him, Go and do also in like manner.

The Good Samaritan (the word means guardian) is our Lord Himself. Having become man He is brought close to us by the great compassion He has shown towards us. The inn is the Church into which our Lord Himself brings man, as the Good Samaritan brought in the wounded man on his breast, for no one can take part in the Church unless he is baptised, united to the Body of Christ, and carried like the lost sheep on the shoulder of the Good Shepherd.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 847.

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 126

Gospel LK 14:1, 7-14
    On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
    at the home of one of the leading Pharisees,
    and the people there were observing him carefully.

He told a parable to those who had been invited,
    noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table.
    "When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet,
    do not recline at table in the place of honor.
    A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him,
    and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say,
    'Give your place to this man,'
    and then you would proceed with embarrassment
    to take the lowest place.
    Rather, when you are invited,
    go and take the lowest place
    so that when the host comes to you he may say,
    'My friend, move up to a higher position.'
    Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table.
    For every one who exalts himself will be humbled,
    but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
    Then he said to the host who invited him,
    "When you hold a lunch or a dinner,
    do not invite your friends or your brothers
    or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors,
    in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
    Rather, when you hold a banquet,
    invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind;
    blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.
    For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Commentary:
    14:10 sit in the lowest place: A lesson on humility, where greatness is measured by concern for others and a modest estimation of self

• Advertisement

Thirteenth Sunday After Pentecost
    Semi-double

Commemoration of the Nativity of Our Lady

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Gálatas.

Gal iii, 16-22

Fratres: Abrahæ dictæ sunt promissiónes, et sémini eius. Non dicit: Et semínibus, quasi in multis; sed quasi in uno: Et sémini tuo, qui est Christus. Hoc autem dico: testaméntum confirmátum a Deo, quæ post quadringéntos et trigínta annos facta est lex, non írritum facit ad evacuándam promissiónem. Nam si ex lege heréditas, iam non ex promissióne. Abrahæ autem per repromissiónem donávit Deus. Quid igitur lex? Propter transgressiónes pósita est, donec veníret semen, cui promíserat, ordináta per Angelos in manu mediatóris. Mediátor autem uníus non est: Deus autem unus est. Lex ergo advérsus promíssa Dei? Absit. Si enim data esset lex, quæ posset vivificáre, vere ex lege esset iustítia. Sed conclúsit Scriptúra ómnia sub peccáto, ut promíssio ex fide Iesu Christi darétur credéntibus.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Galatians

Gal iii, 16-22

Brethren: The promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. He does not say, And to his offsprings, as of many; but as of one, And to your offspring, Who is Christ. Now I mean this: The Law which was made four hundred and thirty years later does not annul the covenant which was ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. For if the right to inherit be from the Law, it is no longer from a promise. But God gave it to Abraham by promise. What then was the Law? It was enacted on account of transgressions, being delivered by angels through a mediator, until the offspring should come to whom the promise was made. Now there is no intermediary where there is only one; but God is one. Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? By no means. For if a law had been given that could give life, justice would truly be from the Law. But the Scriptures shut up all things under sin, that by the faith of Jesus Christ the promise might be given to those who believe.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 17:11-19

In illo témpore: Dum iret Iesus in Ierúsalem, transíbat per médiam Samaríam et Galilaeam. Et cum ingrederétur quoddam castéllum, occurrérunt ei decem viri leprósi, qui stetérunt a longe; et levavérunt vocem dicéntes: Iesu præcéptor, miserére nostri. Quos ut vidit, dixit: Ite, osténdite vos sacerdótibus. Et factum est, dum irent, mundáti sunt. Unus autem ex illis, ut vidit quia mundátus est, regréssus est, cum magna voce magníficans Deum, et cecidit in fáciem ante pedes eius, grátias agens: et hic erat Samaritánus. Respóndens autem Iesus, dixit: Nonne decem mundáti sunt? et novem ubi sunt? Non est invéntus, qui redíret et daret glóriam Deo, nisi hic alienígena. Et ait illi: Surge, vade; quia fides tua te salvum fecit.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke xvii, 11-19

A t that time, Jesus was going to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. And as He was entering a certain village, there He met ten lepers, who stood afar off and lifted up their voice, crying, Jesus, Master, have pity on us. And when He saw them He said, Go, show yourselves to the priests. And it came to pass as they were on their way, that they were made clean. But one of them, seeing that he was made clean, returned, with a loud voice glorifying God, and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks; and he was a Samaritan. But Jesus answered and said, Were not the ten made clean? But where are the nine? Has no one been found to return and give glory to God, except this foreigner? And He said to him, Arise, go your way, for your faith has saved you.

Our divine Redeemer remarked sadly that only ‘this stranger’ had thus glorified God, for the others had no thought for Him who had cured them. Probably the commentators are right in thinking our Lord freed the man from the leprosy of soul, which is sin.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], p. 854.

St Lawrence Press have an article on how this Sunday would have been done before 1962, when almost all Feasts falling on a Sunday were downgraded to Commemorations, most octaves been suppress at around that time too.[/url]

Advertisement