Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nice to see this lovely piece in this weekend's Irish Times by Ian O'Riordan. While it's not that often, I buy the IT, I doubt there is much room for cycling in it, or other daily papers.

I'll post the full article after the weekend unless there are issues doing so?

attachment.php?attachmentid=507465&stc=1&d=1585482083

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'll post the full article after the weekend unless there are issues doing so?

Alas there is, it is against site rules, post a link but that is it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Threads Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Prose started off very purple alright, but it did calm down and hit an appropriate tone after, I think.

Sillitoe's story it mentions is really fine, I've always thought. More for its depiction of the defiance of underdogs than as a tribute to running, as such, thought it's that as well. Very memorable title too,

Just in passing ... I also read Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, which was good but I didn't find it anywhere near as compelling The Loneliness ..., the novel The Death of William Posters, which I can't remember anything good about, and a lot of his short stories, a few of which were very good. I think he only had a few good stories in him seemingly all written early on, but one was a cracker.

Anyway, just in case I accidentally encourage someone to read The Death of William Posters or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Just in passing ... I also read Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, which was good but I didn't find it anywhere near as compelling The Loneliness ..., the novel The Death of William Posters, which I can't remember anything good about, and a lot of his short stories, a few of which were very good. I think he only had a few good stories in him seemingly all written early on, but one was a cracker.

Anyway, just in case I accidentally encourage someone to read The Death of William Posters or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_aaECIey0M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Grassey wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Although he admits he himself had “a cardiac arrest four years ago, but that is well over.” It was true too he had “an abdominal operation last September” and “a stroke three weeks ago”. But, “it had no effect.”

He is “in great health” and “I’m not near anyone out on the bike.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

php6AVpXp.jpeg

I have to hope this "fantasy cabinet" stays in the realms of fantasy:
    A surprise package in all of this is the potential to see Verona Murphy end up as Shane Ross’ successor in the Department of Transport. Despite her controversial remarks over migrants which led to her departure from Fine Gael, she is a formidable operator, she understands the sector better than most and she is female, which this Cabinet is certainly shy of.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/daniel-mcconnell-fantasy-cabinet-predictions-for-the-next-government-992324.html

Interesting take: Transport is mostly about trucks and roads.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Interesting take: Transport is mostly about trucks and roads.
    ...and making sure pesky bicycles are not in their way!

...and making sure pesky bicycles are not in their way!
    It's even worse than that. Those terrible people are deliberately swerving in front of trucks so that the drivers will fall foul of minimum passing legislation. Well, the war on hauliers is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I mean there's always been idiots hurling abuse and making sweeping generalisations about all cyclists on social media, but this is what I woke up to this morning on the local group page:

20200412-151232.jpg

Some seriously idiotic comments quickly followed.

20200412-152022.jpg

20200412-152334.jpg

Does my head in! Especially those stating cyclists should use the road instead of the Greenway - where there is no infrastructure, and its lethal at the best of times with speeding and close passing, among other issues.

And how about the one stating cycling should be banned during lockdown? Are these people aware bikes are used for commuting to work, like a lot of our healthcare workers are doing, as well as getting the shopping done, etc etc? Are people really this ignorant or is it a case of just a few eejits gathering together in the comments section?

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is a Facebook post journalism? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fake news

buffalo wrote: »
    Is a Facebook post journalism? :confused:

Not really, but cyclists in the 'media', covers much of the same ground, so a new thread on the above post would be duplication of the same arguments in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm really enjoying all these long range pictures of groups of people used when stirring up rage and fear, it's almost as if they're using the perspective to falsely make it look like people are close together.

You get the same thing when commenting on people cycling 10 abreast actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I mean there's always been idiots hurling abuse and making sweeping generalisations about all cyclists on social media, but this is what I woke up to this morning on the local group page:

Some seriously idiotic comments quickly followed.
    Is that from Ireland or UK? I've seen a few UK moaners on the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Cork, County Cork
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/YPrM3ZRAwKUvBZkc9

It looks like Rochestown greenway to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The comments on bells annoy me. I stopped using mine as people take so much offence to it when I do use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cork, County Cork
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/YPrM3ZRAwKUvBZkc9

It looks like Rochestown greenway to me

Passage West car park I'd say. The Rochestown access is just about 2km away...

Yeah, Ireland, Rochestown-Passage Greenway in Cork.

Stark wrote: »
    The comments on bells annoy me. I stopped using mine as people take so much offence to it when I do use it.

Either that, or they pretend not to hear it despite multiple attempts at ringing it.

Stark wrote: »
    "its the meats they can't do!"

A woman admonished me for not having a bell in the Phoenix Park one day. She was the one crossing the cycle track without looking, I was the one who saw her well in advance, slowed down, and stayed back. But my lack of bell was the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Great piece in teh Sunday Independent today on the life of NIcolas Roche as an elite sportsman by Paul KImmage

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Great piece in teh Sunday Independent today on the life of NIcolas Roche as an elite sportsman by Paul KImmage

Online but paywalled :(

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/paul-kimmage-meets-nicolas-roche-a-broken-marriage-the-fear-of-never-knowing-his-daughter-and-learning-lifes-lessons-39121098.html

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a new wrinkle in the 'what the public complain about cyclists doing' list.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18371526.letter-cyclists-prosecuted

a new wrinkle in the 'what the public complain about cyclists doing' list.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18371526.letter-cyclists-prosecuted

They're right?
    I know the rules in the UK are different but move that here, 2k restriction etc. But they do have to stay local I think? Plus they shouldn't be stopping.
    Plus from what the mountains were like pre restriction I can well imagine how it can be dangerous and frustrating for locals - I have never, ever, not on the sunniest of summer evenings or weekends seen as many people out the mountains as then. Maybe it's this behaviour they're protesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MPFGLB wrote: »

The tattoos in the promo for it, are they real or a Photoshop to go with the tagline?
    https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1249374246725394433?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    They're right?
    it was the 'they're leaning on our gates' comment i was referring to.

it was the 'they're leaning on our gates' comment i was referring to.

Ah I see.
    I can see how that'd piss people off at the moment, in these viral times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Hurrache wrote: »
    The tattoos in the promo for it, are they real or a Photoshop to go with the tagline?

Interesting never knew he was married and had a daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/gardai-urge-cyclists-dressed-in-club-colours-to-stop-training-on-the-roads/

What kind of a call is that?! There are guidelines, and if you train / exercise within the guidelines, then that's the end of the story!! What is behind this fcuking public singling out and demonising of, not just cyclists but, <sigh> <must I say it...> lycra-clad.... cyclists. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They should clarify this more. If I go out for a run today, am I allowed wear a club t-shirt/singlet? What if I wear one walking down to the shops? What about one of those free race t-shirts? Any particular club colours that the virus likes more than others?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They did qualify if at the end, saying "some cyclists" and it seems to be that those they are finding not adhering to the 2km limit are predominantly out on their regular training type spins.

That's what I got from it, and it's poorly written by StickyBottle imo and just looking for some sort of outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Like it or not, people do make assumptions - I've been going out every day (<2km radius) with my wife, and where we live, that means a lot of city & suburban streets (junctions, potholes, etc), so I've been riding my "lock it in town" bike and wearing regular clothes - we never get a second look.
    The other day, she didn't fancy a cycle, so I got lycra'd up, and went out on my (white, carbon, noticeable) road bike. I still stuck to the 2km radius, but got a lot of "hard stares".

Maybe they were people like me who rubber neck every cyclist who passes to see what they are riding :D Today I saw Trek, a Cube with I think a Canyon for company (Father and son looked to be) and a Giant hybrid and another Trek while out walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I look at others' bikes too, but most of the hard stares were from pedestrians/drivers - they weren't all off-duty road-bike riders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

^^^this^^^

My wife just rolls her eyes now when a bike goes past, she knows im going to be looking to see what it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cletus wrote: »
    ^^^this^^^

My wife just rolls her eyes now when a bike goes past, she knows im going to be looking to see what it is :D
    Don't you feel a bit dirty getting back on your own bike after you've been eyeing up another man's ride?

• Advertisement

Don't you feel a bit dirty getting back on your own bike after you've been eyeing up another man's ride?

Well that's really creepy.

I do check out bikes all the time, but don't go to rotten sexist judgments with it :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm completely promiscuous when it comes to bikes and tools.

My bike knows and understands that I love it

My bike isn't sentient, at least, it hasn't told me if it is or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hurrache wrote: »

The tattoos are real

Lots of cyclists have them...think Pozzato ,Roglic , etc
    Sems the thing to do ...I'm not a big fan tbh

My bike isn't sentient, at least, it hasn't told me if it is or not.

Maybe it just doesn't love you...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement