Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He made no reference to receptions, he was specifically trying to make some strange point about "even though he retired x years ago...."
    Well it appears there's merit to it.

How isn't Ravens/Steelers on MNF?

Why would it be MNF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Probably because they are on primetime at thanksgiving as well in a few weeks but yeah, it does look like the best game of the week. I’m not complaining, will be able to go to bed at a respectable hour with work early on Monday.

In fairness Eagles vs Cowboys on Sunday night would have been a good looking game when they were setting the schedule.

Never mind, just seen it's on the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well it appears there's merit to it.

What merit is there to it?

White had 808 receptions for 63 TDs.
    Jones has 835 receptions for 59 TDs.

Those are remarkably similar, the difference is marginal.

If the point was supposed to be that Jones has less touchdowns despite playing in a more pass-happy and receiver friendly era, then it doesn't have merit because Jones has achieved the above in 40 less games and has a better TD-per-game ratio over his career.

Add in the 8 playoff games that Jones has played and he overtakes White on TDs and he's still played 32 games less than him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the point is that Jones is frequently talked about as one of the best receivers in the game, something you don't hear about White yet remarkably similar stat lines, even though Jones is playing in a more pass happy era.

I think its fairly strange that Jones doesn't score more TD's to be honest given the amount of yardage he racks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think the point is that Jones is frequently talked about as one of the best receivers in the game, something you don't hear about White yet remarkably similar stat lines, even though Jones is playing in a more pass happy era.

I think its fairly strange that Jones doesn't score more TD's to be honest given the amount of yardage he racks up.

Am I imagining it that the Falcons don't target him in the red-zone? I get that he is double-covered most of the time and the Falcons have had strong alternative receiver options but I still think it's surprising he doesn't have more TDs.

What merit is there to it?
    White has more touchdowns in less games.

• Advertisement

White has more touchdowns in less games.

No he doesn't.

The very opposite is true.

Jones has more TDs in less games.

Jones = 140 games / 65 TDs
    White = 171 Games / 63 TDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I thought Jones has 59 TDs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah 59 TD's, 132 Games. (Regular Season)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13982/julio-jones

Post Season:

6 TD's/7 Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tristram wrote: »
    I thought Jones has 59 TDs

Poster was including post season TD’s in his total of 65. He has 59 regular season TD’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Washington are apparently open to trading Dwayne Haskins. Jesus that’s fallen apart quickly. I does seem like it’s that river boat Ron isn’t sold on him as opposed to Dwayne Haskins beings a bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Potential for playoffs to be expanded to 16-teams in the event of match cancellations.

https://theathletic.com/news/nfl-considering-16-team-playoff-as-covid-19-contingency-plan/q22KL0yXKasT

In that case it'll remove the bye week and then go to 1v8 etc.

• Advertisement

Potential for playoffs to be expanded to 16-teams in the event of match cancellations.

https://theathletic.com/news/nfl-considering-16-team-playoff-as-covid-19-contingency-plan/q22KL0yXKasT

In that case it'll remove the bye week and then go to 1v8 etc.

Not sure why they are so averse to just pushing back the Super Bowl and giving the league time to finish out the season as scheduled. What are they trying to achieve with this extra playoff game?

Not sure why they are so averse to just pushing back the Super Bowl and giving the league time to finish out the season as scheduled. What are they trying to achieve with this extra playoff game?

An extra playoff game that will never go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

cool article on espn about the 5 longest serving qb's playing. TB12 only missed 19 games, Rodgers missed 18, brees missed 14, big ben 38 games and rivers has never missed a game, his a tough SOB considering some of the o-lines he played behind in san Diego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

cosatron wrote: »
    cool article on espn about the 5 longest serving qb's playing. TB12 only missed 19 games, Rodgers missed 18, brees missed 14, big ben 38 games and rivers has never missed a game, his a tough SOB considering some of the o-lines he played behind in san Diego.

TB12 has missed only 19 games yet is listed as being 152 weeks on the injured list?

OOnegative wrote:
    TB12 has missed only 19 games yet is listed as being 152 weeks on the injured list?
    It was Belichick taking the p out of the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cross post from Week 9 thread in case its of interest to some:

There was a great read on the Browns moving in The Athletic last week that I learned a few tidbits I hadn't known:

https://theathletic.com/2180453/2020/11/06/art-modell-cleveland-browns-move-al-lerner-baltimore?source=user-shared-article

Have found the Athletic totally worth the subscription. Have a couple of 30 day codes if anyone fancies giving it a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Cross post from Week 9 thread in case its of interest to some:

There was a great read on the Browns moving in The Athletic last week that I learned a few tidbits I hadn't known:

https://theathletic.com/2180453/2020/11/06/art-modell-cleveland-browns-move-al-lerner-baltimore?source=user-shared-article

Have found the Athletic totally worth the subscription. Have a couple of 30 day codes if anyone fancies giving it a look.

+1

Super site to be fair. Proper articles that deep dive into aspects of the games. The soccer coverage is great too. Well worth the subscription.

I got the Athletic sub this year as well on an offer I can’t remember the exact details but it was very reasonably priced. It’s a great site and probably the only one I use regularly

Mike Sando’s podcast with Randy Mueller is one of the better ones out there as well I find.

I see Antonio Brown is at the centre of more allegations. This time he "destroyed a security camera and threw his bicycle at a security guard's hut".

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/16/antonio-brown-accusation-camera-bike-hollywood-community

I'd be surprised if he's still on the Buccs roster if they actually do make the playoffs. If it's not this, it'll be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Antonio Brown is at the centre of more allegations. This time he "destroyed a security camera and threw his bicycle at a security guard's hut".

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/16/antonio-brown-accusation-camera-bike-hollywood-community

I'd be surprised if he's still on the Buccs roster if they actually do make the playoffs. If it's not this, it'll be something else.

I don’t understand why he’s getting more chance it seems then others. He may not be getting more chances or maybe it’s his rate of doing things like this that makes it seem like that. At some point the league should step in and not give teams a choice because he’s clearly unwilling to help himself. He’s the one doing very questionable things. Maybe I’m too harsh but the raiders rubbish was the point I stopped caring.

Yeah, he won't last long. The Bucs backed him here but that's not going to go down well for there reputation. The slightest thing now forces their hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t understand why he’s getting more chance it seems then others. He may not be getting more chances or maybe it’s his rate of doing things like this that makes it seem like that. At some point the league should step in and not give teams a choice because he’s clearly unwilling to help himself. He’s the one doing very questionable things. Maybe I’m too harsh but the raiders rubbish was the point I stopped caring.

He gets chances because he's a generational talent. Rightly or wrongly, that's the nature of the business.

He gets chances because he's a generational talent. Rightly or wrongly, that's the nature of the business.
    Well generational.is the wrong word because it suggests he's out on his own which he wasn't. Calvin Johnson was a generational talent. Julio Jones has been spectacular for a long time now, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans too.

Well generational.is the wrong word because it suggests he's out on his own which he wasn't. Calvin Johnson was a generational talent. Julio Jones has been spectacular for a long time now, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans too.

AB is absolutely at the top end of WRs in a historical context. He's been better than all of those named, bar Megatron, and that's pretty close to boot.

• Advertisement

AB is absolutely at the top end of WRs in a historical context. He's been better than all of those named, bar Megatron, and that's pretty close to boot.

Well he's 1400 yards and 1.8 yards per reception behind Julio Jones over the exact same number of games.

Well he's 1400 yards and 1.8 yards per reception behind Julio Jones over the exact same number of games.

He has 19 more TDs, only behind Gronk in receiving TDs since 2010.

He has 19 more TDs, only behind Gronk in receiving TDs since 2010.

Yeah but if he was generational he'd be leading both categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Jesus this forum can be pedantic. Maybe generational is the wrong word, the point remains that he gets so many opportunities because he is one of the best WRs in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The term generational is thrown around too much but cherry picking stats isn't helpful either. Every player needs to looked at based on their unique situation. There are players deemed by some as GOATs who don't lead, nor even be in the top tier, of many stats based on per game or career % basis.

He's up there with Gronk and Megatron as the most dominant offensive players of the decade. Ludicrous to deny this

He's up there with Gronk and Megatron as the most dominant offensive players of the decade. Ludicrous to deny this
    So you dont rate Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins and Mike Evans at the same level?
    Mike Evans stats would equate to the same amount of TD's when.he reaches 133 games which is what Brown has currently played. He currently has 100 games played so it's not an unreasonable assessment or small sample size.
    He's not near Megatron.
    He's a great player who played on a great team for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

radharc wrote: »
    Jesus this forum can be pedantic. Maybe generational is the wrong word, the point remains that he gets so many opportunities because he is one of the best WRs in the league.

That's an elite post

Shedite27 wrote:
    That's an elite post
    That there is a pathetic post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Sorry to see Mark Chapman leave the NFL Show. He had brilliant chemistry with Osi and Jason, which will be very hard to replicate. Not sure why he decided to step down, although during his last appearance there was zero craic in the studio, with Osi in particular looking super annoyed and the atmosphere was terrible. Either he had just told them he was leaving, or they had a bit falling out which lead to him leaving. Either way that show was my gateway into NFL and was still a highlight of the week. Although the Tuesday show is badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

Yeah Mark Chapman will be missed alright. Nat Coombes was a step down but with the news Dan Walker is taking over, give me Coombes any day of the week

Yeah I liked Chapman and I liked the Tuesday show as well and was disappointed when they shelved it. There was probably no need for two shows but they got rid of the wrong one in my view.

Isn’t Dan Walker a bible thumper that won’t work on a Sunday? He’s not going to like doing the Super Bowl then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

The highlights show every Tuesday was great, I watched it every week. By far the easiest way to catch up with teams that aren't my own without investing too much time.

Really hope it comes back next season, or I find a replacement Match of The Day format show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah Tuesday was a much better time, loads of time to watch it before the next round of games. I rarely get an hour to watch the show these days on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah :)
    Thanksgiving on Thursday
    3 games on TV!
    I won't watch all of them but dipping in to each game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Pity Chapman is gone. I don't mind Nat though. Have really struggled to watch the Saturday night show. By the time Saturday comes the games are nearly a week old. It's on so late I record it. Then on a Sunday it's hard.to find time to watch it, by the time you get to sit down the Sunday games are kicking off.

Bring back the Tuesday and scrap the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Sorry to see Mark Chapman leave the NFL Show. He had brilliant chemistry with Osi and Jason, which will be very hard to replicate. Not sure why he decided to step down, although during his last appearance there was zero craic in the studio, with Osi in particular looking super annoyed and the atmosphere was terrible. Either he had just told them he was leaving, or they had a bit falling out which lead to him leaving.

Noticed that myself, thinking Osi is really off form today. Coombs has been presenting the last 3 weeks since then, so it leads to me to believe there must have been a falling out. If he said he was leaving, surely he would have done a few more shows before moving on, you would think.
    Suppose we'll never know though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I am guessing it's harder to produce, prepare and edit the show by Tuesday in the current circumstances. He also seemed genuinely a fan of the Bears plus being a good presenter as well, not just put in as a reliable name as Walker would be.

Presumably he's presenting a lot - he does cricket for the radio and football + MOTD2, so something goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

dfx- wrote: »
    Presumably he's presenting a lot - he does cricket for the radio and football + MOTD2, so something goes...

True. And maybe with the loss of the Tuesday show he thinks the saturday show could be for the chop next season also. No idea what the viewing figures are like, but I don’t know anyone else that watches it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement