Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton Wood - Maynooth

Options
  • 08-11-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Has anyone been to view these houses yet. If so, what is your opinion of them and is there a price list for the 3 bed and 4 bed semi-detached houses yet.
    How close are they to the halting site entrance on that road, and would that be a concern for someone thinking of purchasing a house in the development?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I didn't see them at the time as there was nothing much there but I thought the site location was right across the road from the halting site.

I had a look in Limetree Hall which is near them (across the road from the Tesco).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Directly opposite the halting site; which is relatively quiet as they go

They have been built at a massive pace, wood frames I think which are not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

attached

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I shop in Tesco and am amazed at how quickly these have flown up. Very surprised at how close to the halting site they are too- no doubt they'll still sell for mad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I see details and viewing dates up here

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/carton-wood-maynooth-kildare/3810129?RegionId=2168&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&MinBeds=&MaxBeds=&MinSize=&MaxSize=&MinEnergyRating=&Query=&PreSixtyThree=&Page=&view=

3 beds range in size from 97 Sqm/1,047sq ft – 117 Sqm/1,264 sq ft, from €295,000
    4 beds range from 134 Sqm/1,446 sq ft – 175 Sqm/1,878 sq ft, from €395,000
    5 beds extend to a generous 186 Sqm/ 2,002 sq ft, from €520,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 erosney

Hi there,

My partner and I are interested in these homes. Would love to hear from someone who has initiated a buy and is in the process of moving in.

What was finish like? How are the builders for fixing snags? We saw a lot of snags in the showhome.

Were you able to work with builders to customise some features in the home?

How has the whole process gone with agents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd be really careful with these. While the halting site is quiet, I have had countless run ins with the people from there. I used to work in a shop locally and they were an absolute nightmare when they came in.

I viewed the houses out of interest three weeks ago. I wasn't blown away, and thought they were a bit overpriced. I'm sure they'll still sell but they felt very poorly finished. The shoe houses did go up at breakneck speed so maybe the others won't be quite as bad, but no way I would be parting with 350 k plus based on the standard of the show house.

Thanks for this, pretty much same concerns that we have.

We also viewed in Parkside recently - parksidehomes[dot]ie - and while the finish was definitely better, we felt the area was not.

In the showhouse we felt the bannister was loose, the doors seemed flimsy and were not cut to size.

FYI the site beside Carton Wood will have 150 units going in, starting in the new year. I think it's the same developer that did Hayfield, but not 100% certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

erosney wrote: »
    Thanks for this, pretty much same concerns that we have.

We also viewed in Parkside recently - parksidehomes[dot]ie - and while the finish was definitely better, we felt the area was not.

In the showhouse we felt the bannister was loose, the doors seemed flimsy and were not cut to size.

FYI the site beside Carton Wood will have 150 units going in, starting in the new year. I think it's the same developer that did Hayfield, but not 100% certain.

Interesting. Do you have a link to the planning or anything for the newer site. That may still be plagued by the halting site but worth a look

They Hayfield agent told me that on the phone, sorry I don't have any other info.

Google Cairn Homes Mariavilla, Maynooth.

Sorry,I can't post the link - I am a new user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I'd be really careful with these. While the halting site is quiet, I have had countless run ins with the people from there. I used to work in a shop locally and they were an absolute nightmare when they came in.

I lived near there for years and had no trouble with them so its probably different living there rather than working in a shop. What I did have major trouble with was the 24 hour McDonalds/Tesco and drunks making their way up there after the pubs and clubs closed. Front garden was frequently used as a public toilet, screaming, fights, couple of windows broken from badly aimed stones (not aimed at the house)and lots and lots of low level extremely annoying trouble with wheelie bin being stolen/knocked over every week. It was always worse during college term time. If/when Tesco introduce pay parking/clamping people will park there instead. It used to be a lovely, quiet part of the village but not anymore. Check the soundproofing carefully as cars whizz up and down that road all night too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco have introduced clamping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

erosney wrote: »
    Hi there,

My partner and I are interested in these homes. Would love to hear from someone who has initiated a buy and is in the process of moving in.

What was finish like? How are the builders for fixing snags? We saw a lot of snags in the showhome.

Were you able to work with builders to customise some features in the home?

How has the whole process gone with agents?

If you saw lots of snags in the show house I wouldn't hold out much hope for the other houses! After all isn't the show house supposed to be finished perfectly as this is supposed to sell the others. Anyone buying should definitely get a professional snagger to snag the house. Research your snagger, I snagged recently & had 183 snags, the next door neighbour also snagged & their snagger only found 10 snags!

currants wrote: »
    Front garden was frequently used as a public toilet, screaming, fights, couple of windows broken from badly aimed stones (not aimed at the house)and lots and lots of low level extremely annoying trouble with wheelie bin being stolen/knocked over every week. It was always worse during college term time. .

Hi, where is it? Carton Wood - Maymooth?:confused::confused:

What do you mean?
    If you mean where did I live it was between top of main st and Tesco.

What do you mean?
    If you mean where did I live it was between top of main st and Tesco.

Hi, we are talk about Catton Wood here, do we? why we are care about between top of main st and Tesco ??

Because its only a few hundred yards away. Just pointing out my experience of the area. The OP asked for opinions, in my opinion they are in a noisy part of Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I lived just opposite tesco also. Agree worn noise levels are high on the road and cats go fast there so it's quite unsafe. Have they put in street lighting on the main road for these estates?

Noise probably won't be too bad in the back of the estate. Couldn't download a brochure but for those prices is be wanting block built and solar panels etc

Because its only a few hundred yards away. Just pointing out my experience of the area. The OP asked for opinions, in my opinion they are in a noisy part of Maynooth.

think its about 800m to Tesco, so I am not too sure about the noisy from the main ST. is not the Limetree be even worse?

Yes, Limetree would be noisier but this thread is about Carton Wood. There's really no need to be defensive about it. If you've bought one I wish you joy in your new home and am sure you will be happy there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Constructive on topic posts only please. This is accommodation and property not a Tesco carpark forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 globo2016

I bought one and I have to say, as someone who has looked at many new builds over the past year, the standard and quality of these homes are excellent in comparison to many. I lived in the area most of my life and the halting site is a non-issue, they have been there years! It's a busy part of town, yes. You have Tesco and the rest of Carton park but Carton Wood is down a bit from the adjacent development to Tesco (Limetree Hall). This can either be super convinient or just a hassle, depending on your point of view and what you are looking for.

Carton Wood is right next to Carton Estate meaning that can never be build on, so unlike other new builds where there are huge developments and already existing developments around it, it's nice knowing that won't be the case here. They are not the biggest houses for the price, but the quality, finish, spec and location (in my view) is excellent. I agree that there are some minor snags with the showhouse but compared to cracked walls and skirting boards in others we viewed, they are small issues. The estate plan is nice and there will be a large park going in beside carton avenue. Hope that helps.

The land over the laneway behind the estate is not Carton but is instead KCC amenity land. A Presbyterian church is the first thing going to be built there.

You've only got Carton to the east - along where the ringroad will be.

Developers may be selling you a pup on what is and isn't going to be built.

On checking the LAP - the land over the laneway is pretty much all available for amenity development - this could easily be buildings rather than parkland. The small bit of land between the estate the Blacklion is zoned as amenity also.

There are no specific plans for any of this, let alone a park.

[QUOTE=globo2016;101871861

the quality, finish, spec and location (in my view) is excellent. I agree that there are some minor snags with the showhouse but compared to cracked walls and skirting boards in others we viewed, they are small issues..[/QUOTE]

Hi, where did you saw this -cracked walls and skirting boards in others we viewed??:confused::confused:

In our case, we are sold on the proximity to Carton Estate to the east, as opposed to a park itself. The developers have said that KCC are finalising the plans of the park, if it happens great but for us, it's more about the area not turning into a concrete jungle like many of the other new developments we've seen.

I'm not aware of even vague plans for a park, let alone anything being finalised. You could well yet have buildings to both the north and the east of the estate.

There will be a huge increase in traffic on the Blacklion Road when the ringroad is built also.

That would be fine, but as I said, knowing Carton Estate is not an area that could be potentially zoned for commercial or residential development, makes it desirable for us, along with the quality and spec of the build itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭westsider

Can I check globo2016 when will your house be ready to be occupied? We are potentially looking at phase 2 which I believe is to be February. Haven't visited them yet, is the road noise substantial once you are in estate, are there green areas planned within it?

It's scheduled to be ready in March/April, so they might be only starting with phase two in February. You can check that with Savills anyway, they should be able to give you a rough idea.

There are green areas planned within it and a nice balance of 3, 4 and 5 bed distributed throughout the development. In the brochure, you can see the full estate plan and layout and what houses overlook those green areas. I didn't really take notice of the road noise to be honest, it's a relatively small road, but it is busy enough. I suppose the houses that face the road would probably be more affected by road noise, as opposed to the houses at the back of the development towards carton avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Globo, in case you are not aware, there is a long term plan to build the Maynooth Ring Road by the Carton wall. This link to the two new schools by Moyglare Hall and around to the Celbridge Road. This road will be extremely busy in the future.

Advertisement