Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Options
  • 04-01-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released on May 26th, 2017.

http://bgr.com/2016/01/02/star-wars-episode-viii-script-jj-abrams/

‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ script is so incredible that J.J. Abrams now regrets not directing it.

...Star Wars: Episode VIII may be a bit different than Episode VII because of an entirely new writing and directorial team. Whereas Episode VII was co-written and directed by J.J. Abrams, Episode VIII will be written and directed by Rian Johnson. Johnson’s previous film credits include Looper and Brick. Johnson, we should add, has also directed three Breaking Bad episodes, including the widely beloved episode Ozymandias and the widely criticized episode Fly.

While details surrounding the upcoming Star Wars film remain scarce, J.J. Abrams, for one, is incredibly excited about the film. In fact, Abrams found the script for the film so compelling that he recently expressed regret for not being on-board as the director.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-wars/248836/star-wars-episode-viii-news-release-date-casting-story-details-and-more

Principal photography for Rian Johnson's Episode VIII will begin in January

(If there is an existing thread, delete/merge this one mods, thanks)

Comments

I'm not all that optimistic with Rian Johnson at the helm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd be the opposite tbh, I think it could be better than TFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Episode VII has set up a lot of threads very quickly...
    the New big 3 of Rey, Poe and Finn will have much to do.
    Chewy will be back.

Luke obviously
    Leah and R2D2 + C3PO will have their bits...

Chewy and R2D2 were on the Falcon, on the planet Ahch-To, when Rey went to meet Luke.

I´m looking forward to seeing Kylo and Snoke in action and Luke and Rey on the skelligs...
    I presume we will see more of Captain Phasma and maybe some memories of Max von Sydow (that can´t have been it for those 2)..

I don´t know much about Johnson, i had a quick look at his IMDB stats..
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426059/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

he directed Looper, and some breaking bad episodes..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Johnson is the reason I am optimistic about Episode 8. I can’t think of a better person for the job.

• Advertisement

I don´t know much about Johnson, i had a quick look at his IMDB stats..
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426059/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

he directed Looper, and some breaking bad episodes..

I'm basing my opinion mostly on Looper, it didn't make a lick of sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having seen Looper and Brick I think Johnson has the chops & creative sensibility to put his own unique stamp on the sequel; I re-watched Looper the other week & it's still a slick, off-kilter & oddball thriller with equally excellent world-building in its foundation - a concept that in many ways is a prerequisite with the Star Wars universe.

By sheer numbers, his CV is slim, but he seems to have a visual flourish and identity that other 'newbie' directors thrust into a big Hollywood gig don't seem to possess (though one of those newbies, Colin Trevarrow, has the Episode IX job, and based on Jurassic World I have reduced expectations there)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Having seen Looper and Brick I think Johnson has the chops & creative sensibility to put his own unique stamp on the sequel; I re-watched Looper the other week & it's still a slick, off-kilter & oddball thriller with equally excellent world-building in its foundation - a concept that in many ways is a prerequisite with the Star Wars universe.

By sheer numbers, his CV is slim, but he seems to have a visual flourish and identity that other 'newbie' directors thrust into a big Hollywood gig don't seem to possess (though one of those newbies, Colin Trevarrow, has the Episode IX job, and based on Jurassic World I have reduced expectations there)

Thought Johnson was directing VIII and IX. That's disappointing to hear.

To be honest, what Johnson does with this installment will flavour my thoughts on The Force Awakens. If Johnson has the permission to be inventive and break away from the familiarity of Episode VII then I'll probably look at Abrams attempt more favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Thought Johnson was directing VIII and IX. That's disappointing to hear.

To be honest, what Johnson does with this installment will flavour my thoughts on The Force Awakens. If Johnson has the permission to be inventive and break away from the familiarity of Episode VII then I'll probably look at Abrams attempt more favourably.

Johnson is writing both scripts for the next 2 films but is only directing the next one.

Also agree that ep VII can be looked on as a good bridge if ep VIII is a proper departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Johnson is writing both scripts for the next 2 films but is only directing the next one.

Also agree that ep VII can be looked on as a good bridge if ep VIII is a proper departure.
    That explains my confusion. Trevarrow could do an adequate job directing a script written by Johnson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Johnson is only providing a treatment for Episode 9, not the whole script. I'd imagine this will mainly amount to having a few story meetings. Trevorrow – and I assume his writing partner Derek Connolly – will write the film as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If it can have half the tension of the 'Fly' episode of Breaking Bad it'll be a good movie. Really don't get the hate for that episode.

Also really enjoyed Looper so have high hopes for this personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,287 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If it can have half the tension of the 'Fly' episode of Breaking Bad it'll be a good movie. Really don't get the hate for that episode.

Also really enjoyed Looper so have high hopes for this personally.

I know he didn't write it, but he did direct Ozymandias, the best episode of Breaking Bad. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for anything now.

Even if he hadn’t directed Looper or Breaking Bad, I’d still be optimistic. I re-watched Brick and The Brothers Bloom recently and they are both excellent films. Johnson is a student of cinema who draws on a diverse pool of influences for every film. From populist to avant-garde, there’s a bit of everything in his work. And he’s not afraid to mix and match genres. Looper goes from an homage to ‘80s time travel movies to Witness in its second half and somehow he makes it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm looking forward to what Rhian does with VIII. I really liked Brick, Looper was enjoyable but didn't live up to the hype for me. I found it too easy to pick apart but it is a good sci-fi yarn if you forget about trying to make the logic work.

Trevorrow has always troubled me with being on board for Ep IX. I worry he'll make a mess of it. He hasn't a good track record outside of making a mint off the back of a pre-existing franchise. I hated Jurassic World, I don't even rate it higher than Jurassic Park 3!! I'm hoping with Rhian's influence, the practical effects already brought on board that if he can then competently direct it, it could be salvaged.

Some possible comments referring to the amount of screen time the Skellig has in Episode VIII here..

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/a-star-wars-the-force-awakens-set-returns-for-star-wars-episode-viii/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I wonder will Luke and Rey be on Skellig for most of the movie, a la Luke on Dagobah in Empire?

I hope we see a bit more of Poe Dameron, seemed like he was going to be the cocky smart arse replacement Han Solo, but then he sort of disappeared in TFA and reappeared in just "awesome pilot" mode.

Couldn't care less about C3PO, I hope he won't be in it that much. Not much more that character can bring to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I hope we see a bit more of Poe Dameron, seemed like he was going to be the cocky smart arse replacement Han Solo, but then he sort of disappeared in TFA and reappeared in just "awesome pilot" mode.

I believe he was originally supposed to be killed off when the TIE-Fighter crashes on Jakku. Then J.J. was tinkering with the script and found a way to bring him back into it. J.J. has a habit of doing these sorts of things. In LOST, Matthew Fox died in the pilot episode but test audiences hated it, saying you couldn't kill the leading actor the story follows. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

As one of the few not so keen on VII, I hope with all the characters in place VIII will be more its own thing rather than a remix of the original trilogy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ridley wrote: »
    As one of the few not so keen on VII, I hope with all the characters in place VIII will be more its own thing rather than a remix of the original trilogy.

Agreed. But worst case scenario, they rip off Empire, and it'll be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

jaykhunter wrote: »

If they're doing the dark middle chapter/good guys lose thang,
    Kylo Ren's MO of being all Vader without any Anakin
    could be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I'm not a huge Rian Johnson fan, he seems like someone who has built up a rep a bit bigger than he deserves by being quite pally with film critics. That being said, he's a far more interesting choice than I'd've expected for such an important Disney franchise's key film (in comparison to JJ Abrams and Colin Trevorrow the guy who directed Jurassic World), coupled with how TFA, to me, was a really well executed setup for the next film (I honestly expect VIII to be released to a bigger wave of hype than VII now, that's an amazing achievement ), I'm definitely eagerly anticipating it, both as a potentially really good film and for how it will outline what the format of all upcoming Star Wars sequels will be (and there's going to be absolutely tons of them, in fairness).

The impression I'm getting is that there'll be one major film every two years or so and all the spin-offs will be not so tightly related to those to avoid watering down the core brand any more than they must do. If they instead decide to go the Marvel route of everything tying together quite a lot, I'll be completely done with the franchise before IX comes out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Falthyron wrote: »
    I believe he was originally supposed to be killed off when the TIE-Fighter crashes on Jakku. Then J.J. was tinkering with the script and found a way to bring him back into it. J.J. has a habit of doing these sorts of things. In LOST, Matthew Fox died in the pilot episode but test audiences hated it, saying you couldn't kill the leading actor the story follows. :P

Jack was only supposed to be killed off when they were gunning for Michael Keaton to play him for the opening. They toyed with the idea after, but decided that once Fox was cast it was better to retain him for the run of the series. Jack being killed was never filmed. The only test audiences these things see is executives and their families.

I think that most of the hate for Fly comes from the fact that it's a Bottle episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Looking forward to seeing Mark Hamill actually do something in the new movie. Question is will Kylo make it 'strike 2' ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Wedwood wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Mark Hamill actually do something in the new movie. Question is will Kylo make it 'strike 2' ��

I was talking about this last week. I think Luke will be killed off in the next one, and it will be set up then for the third one where Rey and Kylo go head to head again. Of course I am probably completely wrong:). All I know is I can't wait for the next one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was talking about this last week. I think Luke will be killed off in the next one, and it will be set up then for the third one where Rey and Kylo go head to head again. Of course I am probably completely wrong:). All I know is I can't wait for the next one:)

I fear you might be right. Kill off luke so it adds more to the final Rey vs Ren battle :( It is about the new cast.

Personally I think Luke shouldn't die in the new trilogy. While it's of course still early days to tell what will happen. It does appear that it's Rey vs Ren while Finn and Poe vs the first order. Mirroring the originals. However someone has to stop Snoke. So it does make sense to have the only master jedi in the universe go against the biggest sith/evil dude/whatever he may be named Snoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Its going to be a long feckin' wait. I'm excited though. Its brought the old feelings back again. I will have to hunt out my ROTJ annual and go through it some night. While the wind is howling outside and the rain hammering the windows.....ahhhhhhhh:-)

I just hope Mark Hamill isn't ****. He's not great in the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just hope Mark Hamill isn't ****. He's not great in the originals.

He's freakin' Luke Skywalker, man. He'll be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

jaykhunter wrote: »

Oh God... i hadn't even thought of that possibility but after the way TFA went nothing will surprise me! :pac:

Advertisement