Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

tbh I think the next one will go off in a completely new direction Disney are in this for the long Haul, "if" they were just to remake the original trilogy interest would be lost from the fans and there is no way disney would risk that they need to keep people guessing.
    TFA was in a way a meeting up with old friends while introducing a new generation to old favourites while bringing in new characters now they will push on with new ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just hope Mark Hamill isn't ****. He's not great in the originals.

I know he doesn't really act anymore, but he does a lot of voice work and he's incredible. I'm not worried about him at all.

I know he doesn't really act anymore, but he does a lot of voice work and he's incredible. I'm not worried about him at all.

His Joker stuff is great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He has been in a few episodes of the Flash recently so he does still act. The character is the Trickster, but he's using his Joker voice and its filled with joker insanity. He's had fun with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Oooh. Goodie goodie

Colin Trevorrow Promises "Satisfying" Resolution to Rey's Parentage Mystery

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/01/colin-trevorrow-promises-satisfying.html?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

He was also in Kingsmen. I look forward to seeing what he'll be like in the next episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

John Boyega has said that Episode 8 will be much darker. Rian Johnson has also described it as weird

Beicio del Toro confirmed as a villain

• Registered Users Posts: 45,153 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kirby wrote: »
    He has been in a few episodes of the Flash recently so he does still act. The character is the Trickster, but he's using his Joker voice and its filled with joker insanity. He's had fun with it.

From what I read - it is a similar to the performance he gave as Trickster in the TV show years ago; and it was those performances that got him the Joker gig. So Joker copied Trickster!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Red King wrote: »
    Beicio del Toro confirmed as a villain

Another of the Knights of Ren, perhaps, while Kylo Ren licks his wounds?

Penn wrote: »
    Another of the Knights of Ren, perhaps, while Kylo Ren licks his wounds?

I'd find it hard to imagine Beniccio as someone who reports to Kylo as Master of the Knights of Ren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Gonna throw my hat in here and say that Beniccio is gonna be the one to train Kylo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

weemcd wrote: »
    Gonna throw my hat in here and say that Beniccio is gonna be the one to train Kylo.

Doubt it. Snoke said he wanted to complete Rens training and he is played by Andy Serkis.

I reckon Del Toro will be a third party independent villain of the criminal type like Jabba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Red King wrote: »

I reckon Del Toro will be a third party independent villain of the criminal type like Jabba

I would agree with this. I think Finn will have some ridiculous bounty on his head and Del Toro might be the one pursuing him, a new Boba Fett perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Falthyron wrote: »
    I would agree with this. I think Finn will have some ridiculous bounty on his head and Del Toro might be the one pursuing him, a new Boba Fett perhaps.

Phasma would be the natural choice for this.

Del Toro might be playing a Lando-type character. Someone with ambiguous motives.

I love this idea. You don't hire del toro to be a good guy. Just as you don't hire Johnson to make a happy film.

david75 wrote: »
    I love this idea. You don't hire del toro to be a good guy. Just as you don't hire Johnson to make a happy film.

My mate reckons the two directors for 8 and 9 have been chosen because they have name recognition, but Disney still feel they can control them because they aren't at the level of Nolan, for example, in terms of being able to demand autonomy. I countered that surely JJ doesn't fit that criteria (small enough to control) and he said they needed a proper big name director for the first movie to get the series back on track in the creditability stakes.

Star Wars Episode VIII delayed until Christmas 2017.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-episode-8-delayed/1100-6433994/

A re-write of the script is currently being undertaken by Rian Johnson.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/star-wars-rumor-episode-8-shooting-delayed-for-a-script-rewrite

Don't know what to make of that. Could be good to ensure an excellent script is written, but now we have to wait almost two years to see it.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/star-wars-rumor-episode-8-shooting-delayed-for-a-script-rewrite

Don't know what to make of that. Could be good to ensure an excellent script is written, but now we have to wait almost two years to see it.

Two years.

Two f*ckin years.

Creatively all you will end up doing on a project over two years is wind yourself up into impossible undoable knots.

But fine. He has two years.
    But cut to production and filming. Then you'll see more and more rewrites.

'The first idea you have is usually the best one'

He should just follow that one.

NOt overly bothered myself - December 2017 seems like the right amount of wait time for such a big movie. Would actually like a big star wars movie to become a christmas tradition.

Glad they are taking their time and not rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline i they feel there are aspects that could be improved upon.

I wonder if they will subsequently push out Episode 9 as a result of this too.

We'll have Rogue One to tide us over in the mean time.

• Advertisement

this is brilliant :)giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've always tended to abhor the concept of hardened release dates: making movies is a stressful enough activity for those involved without the prospect of a release date hanging over everyone. It must be one hell of a cloud to work under, when those dates is too close & the production too complicated/problematic. Plus, it's not like Disney are going to let people forget Star Wars is a thing again :D

For a new Star Wars film, a delay's fine with me. I'd much rather a sequel take its time in production and make sure everything's right, instead of making some manic grind to meet a hasty May 2017 release. Besides, if Disney are lucky, at this rate they could have Christmas all to themselves:

Xmas 2015: Episode VII
    Xmas 2016: Rogue 1
    Xmas 2017: Episode VIII

If the festive season just gone is anything to go by, nobody's going to release anything against a Star Wars film, bar perhaps Quentin Tarantino ha. Assuming Rogue One doesn't flop or is a critical bomb, VIII is better off being released outside of a hectic summer Blockbuster season. And with enough distance from Rogue One that casual cinema-goers won't feel any immediate burnout from the Star Wars universe.

I don't think they'll have episode VIII cover Kylo's learning. No doubt he will have had his new training and be a tougher opponent to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Absolutely no problem with the release date being pushed back. Once they get it done right, that's the main thing.

Anyone think we might get to see Lando in this one? Especially with there being a big scoundrel-shaped hole to fill and all that. Plus Billy Dee Williams is 78 now. Even just to see him in a small role would be great. If they can bring Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb back then surely they can bring Lando back!

Avatar 2 has been pulled from Christmas 2017. As successful as the first one was they know they're never gonna catch Star Wars if they open the same time. They've left this franchise go too long off the boil I reckon.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/avatar-2-pulled-christmas-2017-release-date/

Absolutely no problem with the release date being pushed back. Once they get it done right, that's the main thing.

Anyone think we might get to see Lando in this one? Especially with there being a big scoundrel-shaped hole to fill and all that. Plus Billy Dee Williams is 78 now. Even just to see him in a small role would be great. If they can bring Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb back then surely they can bring Lando back!

don't think they really need to have a group of the same type of character. Plus, I would think Finn and/or Poe could/will step into such a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

don't think they really need to have a group of the same type of character. Plus, I would think Finn and/or Poe could/will step into such a role.

It'd just be bringing him back for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It'd just be bringing him back for the sake of it.

Well it does beg the question "what happened to Lando?" As he was such a big part of the Rebel Alliance by ROTJ and essentially single handedly blew up Death Star 2.

(By the way, an aside. I was thinking about the Death Star 2 the other day, and why the Empire would create a second one. Thing is, it was probably being built around the same time as the first, if not a little after. Let's look at the timing - the first one was under construction at the end of ROTS; it wasn't fully operational until A New Hope - some 17/18 years later (isn't Luke that age?) So if ROTJ takes place about 3-5 years after ANH, one would assume that Death Star 2 started being built about 10 years before that. Am I right?)

Jedi happens 8 or 9 years after a new hope i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

david75 wrote: »
    Jedi happens 8 or 9 years after a new hope i think?

The events of Jedi are 3/4 years after a new hope.

Advertisement