Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I am sure Peter is planning to say something controversial to get the masses riled up. I'll put a bet on now that it will relate to immigration.

About time someone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is a real election this time, not the handy fixed setup of the presidential one.

He'll get into a bit more bother this time, he was lucky before.

Well, a little bit more real. Still a bit of a personality contest but a lot of real politicians in each race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,904 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mgn wrote: »
    About time someone did.

Having made his millions and millions as one, i am sure he will be an understanding expert on the subject.

Having made his millions and millions as one, i am sure he will be an understanding expert on the subject.

And i admire anyone that made millions through hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Can you back up that claim. Not quite sure you've done your research.

What are the main things Ming has achieved as an MEP?

His voting rate of just 16 percent in European Parliament plenary sessions is abysmal. The average across MEPs is about 75 percent.

The poster claimed he had done nothing, but that clearly isn't case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What are the main things Ming has achieved as an MEP?

His voting rate of just 16 percent in European Parliament plenary sessions is abysmal. The average across MEPs is about 75 percent.

Just fact checked that for you because it didn't sound right. He has a voting attendance record of 95.44%, the second highest among Irish MEPs.

You pulled that 16% figure from a 2014 report, when apparently, his wife was ill in his first few months in Europe.

https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-luke-ming-flanagan-2.html

*No affiliation to Ming

mgn wrote: »
    And i admire anyone that made millions through hard work.

As do I - hard work that is.

Making millions would not be a neccesary qualification to make a good politician for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why let the truth get in the way of a baseless claim. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Casey obviously has no respect for the people of Ireland. This is another ego boost. The man should f*** off back to 'merica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Making millions would not be a neccesary qualification to make a good politician for me though.

He might only take half the wage Francine.

Casey obviously has no respect for the people of Ireland. This is another ego boost. The man should f*** off back to 'merica.

He’d be in some length of a queue Matt if they all go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Genuinely curious as to what he has done during his time as an MEP. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

He might only take half the wage Francine.

Is that half the gross, net or makey uppy wage?

Well for me a good politician is one that calls a spade a spade.

Necro wrote:
    Genuinely curious as to what he has done during his time as an MEP. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

You can apply your question to any of the present cohort of Irish Meps . Most just seem to be nodding donkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You can apply your question to any of the present cohort of Irish Meps . Most just seem to be nodding donkies.

Casey was good at nodding.

pjohnson wrote:
    Casey was good at nodding.

So he'll fit right in then.

I wasnt trying to be smart, these guys are in my electoral area. I dunno if Casey is worth a vote on this tbh, its not a Mickey mouse position like the President.

Still waiting on the canvassers to start coming from 2014, seems my area doesn't exist to any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Casey is a complete chancer. He'll say anything to get elected, then kick back and do f-all as an MEP. Unless of course there is some money to be made for him or his cronies.

Moghead wrote: »
    Casey is a complete chancer. He'll say anything to get elected, then kick back and do f-all as an MEP. Unless of course there is some money to be made for him or his cronies.

He’ll fit right in then.

• Advertisement

He’ll fit right in then.

Exactly. It's money for jam and he knows it. I'd say being an MEP is a great laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Casey came up with something me good points that people believe in before the Presidential election.
    Thing is the man seems pretty old at 61, we need somebody younger and smoother to take up his mantra and bring it to the next level.

Moghead wrote: »
    Exactly. It's money for jam and he knows it. I'd say being an MEP is a great laugh.

Dunno if he did enough to get enough support. Sure traveller bashing is fashionable but he needs more skills. A bitta anti-gay and anti-trans, some anti-immigration etc.

He never fully commited to the outraged gang. So many more fashionable beats he missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Necro wrote: »
    I wasnt trying to be smart, these guys are in my electoral area. I dunno if Casey is worth a vote on this tbh, its not a Mickey mouse position like the President.

Still waiting on the canvassers to start coming from 2014, seems my area doesn't exist to any of them!

It is more of a Mickey Mouse position than most Parliaments.

Meps are there to act on the commission's wishes.

Largely a rubber stamp body.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Casey came up with something me good points that people believe in before the Presidential election.
    Thing is the man seems pretty old at 61, we need somebody younger and smoother to take up his mantra and bring it to the next level.

For someone like him to get elected they would need to be smoother alright. Casey is not a good public speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

kneemos wrote: »
    Goes to show what feck all interest people have in European elections if Ming got elected.

Wouldn't have a clue who the other MEP's are,Mairead MacGuinness maybe?

There's loads of people in the North who vote for politicians who don't even want to be politicians. If Peter said he would not take up his seat if elected, that might be a big vote catcher.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dunno if he did enough to get enough support. Sure traveller bashing is fashionable but he needs more skills. A bitta anti-gay and anti-trans, some anti-immigration etc.

He never fully commited to the outraged gang. So many more fashionable beats he missed.

Yeah I think the traveller bashing was a bit of a hail mary move from him during the Presidential election.

I think he would say anything to get elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

With the increase in right wing populists in the EU, he ll probably be voted in with his nonsense

Yep. He needs to take a leaf out of the Shinners book and start trying to fix everything without any facts and figures to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's loads of people in the North who vote for politicians who don't even want to be politicians. If Peter said he would not take up his seat if elected, that might be a big vote catcher.

You do know the constituency stretches right across the country? Can't see that being a popular stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I agree with some things he says, but he's a supporter of Ireland leaving the EU. It's nice to see someone telling the truth about travellers, but there's much bigger issues with this guy

Still, surely they have to do something to justify their wage as an MEP.

They cant just be heading over for the craic or anything.

Still, surely they have to do something to justify their wage as an MEP.

They cant just be heading over for the craic or anything.

Just turn up for a few meetings and junkets and happy days. At age 61 he'll only have one term there and he can retire with a sweet pension on top of his wealth.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I agree with some things he says, but he's a supporter of Ireland leaving the EU. It's nice to see someone telling the truth about travellers, but there's much bigger issues with this guy

If Ireland left the EU he wouldn't be long returning to the USA or Australia.

Cienciano wrote: »

Is he? Have you a source for this, it would put me off voting for him if true tbh.

Is he? Have you a source for this, it would put me off voting for him if true tbh.

He wants to stay in the union

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/dragon-casey-to-run-for-mep-on-rural-versus-urban-crusade-38004004.html

Ah, so leave the single currency but stay in the EU.

Doesn't seem to have thought that through very well.

Apparently so but he thinks all countries should have their own currencies again.

He has a point about the immigration system in its current form though.

If he knocks on your door, Necro, what would you ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I am sure Peter is planning to say something controversial to get the masses riled up. I'll put a bet on now that it will relate to immigration.

God forbid somebody say something that the "masses" might agree with.

Is the alternative to go against what a majority may think in order to stay "pc"?

• Advertisement

England get out of Ireland? :pac:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shinners mocking Casey for being a populist.....have yiz no self awareness lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Make Eire Great Again. its gonna be MEGA lads. im ordering 100,000 green caps right now.

thanks to my man suicide circus...MAKE EIRE GRAND AGAIN! now before i submit the order, are we all happy with this?

I can see one poster going into overdrive on this thread just as he did with the other Casey thread. Tedious and boring.

emo72 wrote: »
    Make Eire Great Again. its gonna be MEGA lads. im ordering 100,000 green caps right now.
    change "Great" to "Grand"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

change "Great" to "Grand"

dude. i will...keep brainstorming with me. we're on a roll now!

• Advertisement

England get out of Ireland? :pac:;)

Don't think that banner was referring to immigration. More 'invasion' I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

The way things are in this Country, voters don't see much difference between the parties, and feel that no matter who they vote for ( I am speaking here about Irish General Election's, but the same will apply to the EU elections I think.. ) you will still wind up with maybe different mix, but basically same same. So a lot of voters will not give a damn, and these are the ones who will even bother voting. So People will just say " Casey???? why not? Can't be any worse than what we already have. Considering all the negative comment's about him, be interesting to see what odd's the bookie's will give him this time. But I would not be writing him off anyway.

Spleerbun wrote: »
    God forbid somebody say something that the "masses" might agree with.

Is the alternative to go against what a majority may think in order to stay "pc"?

If majority agreed he'd be president.

Apparently so but he thinks all countries should have their own currencies again.

He has a point about the immigration system in its current form though.

If he knocks on your door, Necro, what would you ask him?

I honestly don't know tbh.

I'd have to find out what MEPs actually do other than turn up for work first :pac:

If majority agreed he'd be president.
    he came second to an incumbant with a long exemplary record and mass meme appeal because of his Tolkienesque stature. He was never going to win but he did well because he voiced concerns held by a lot of people in this country.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement