Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,903 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

eagle eye wrote: »
    I didn't see the debate and I'm unwilling to accept your word for how it went because you've shown a dislike for the man in this thread all along.

I don't dislike the man, he seems affable and pleasant. I dislike his elevation to some sort of saviour because he is totally out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Casey got second in the presidential election . So your statement doesn't make sense over the way he speaks. Prefer him any day to high pitched squeaks from Higgins.

You are telling us that how nice someone's voice sounds is a factor in who you vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hes a family man. His children mean the world to him. A really nice genuine guy. Unlike most of the others.

That's four posts in a row where you haven't actually said anything about either man's arguments.
    Sorry to upset you all. I think Peter Casey is exactly what Ireland needs after the last 4 years of pcbrigade protected snowflake agenda. People having to think before they open their mouths incase they offend someone. Every word they say been scrutinised. Its actually worse now than UK. He would be amazing as taoiseach . Over and out.

Fair enough, but what's this got to do with Ming's voice?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Double post. Can't delete it because I'm on mobile boards

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Pity about Casey. I voted for him in the Presidential election and hoped he'd run for the Dáil but alas. I suppose we'll have to look elsewhere for our right wing saviour. I had high hopes for Leo too but instead of looking after the people who get up early, it looks more like FG are going to continue throwing money at welfare and make it even more appealing as a lifestyle choice. The latest welfare nonsense now is so called "period poverty". Apparently poor unfortunate females the length and breadth of Ireland are so destitute now they can't even afford sanitary products, so we'll have to start providing them free to the welfare lifestyle brigade. I'd love to know how my long dead Mum and my older sisters were able to afford sanitary products. They grew up in the 40's and 50's when the country was an economic basket case. How long before we start hearing about toilet paper poverty, toothpaste poverty etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Edgware wrote: »
    The media and liberals cant accept that he is telling the truth about travellers etc. The usuql ****s will roar about racism but the man on the ground knows Casey is telling it as it is

So let’s vote for him because he doesn’t like Travellers?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Did he ever say that? I know it gets construed that way regularly. There's a big difference in saying (correctly) they dont deserve ethnicity status and saying you dont like them.

Like for example, me. I agree the ethnic status applied to them is nonsense.

I also dont like them.

That's definitive. I dont recall Casey stating openly he dislikes them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rather he ran for dail, the status quo in the EU parliament is already going to get a shake up without him.

One thing he has done is bring back to the forefront of my mind all the issues that are important to me. Local elections are coming up shortly and all those knocking on my door looking for my vote better have some answers to
    • how they would deal with an issue like the houses in Tipperary that are still vacant.
    • How will they deal with anti social behaviour in the area.
    • What incentives do they propose to regenerate towns that have still to recover from the crash and how do they intend to turn those ideas into reality.
    • How many housing developments whose bonds were always in place are still to be taken over and what timescale will they commit to for their taking in charge.
    • Do they know how much is owed to the council from rent arrears and how do they intend recouping it.
    • How much local property tax do they think I should be paying for my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mgn wrote: »
    Hard to vote on anything when he spends most of his time jogging around Castlerea.

I've family down that way and heard this aswell. Jaysus it really does seem like a handy enough number over there. Brian Crowley is another one who has milked the bejaysus out of Europe with little consequence.

Honestly might run myself some day! Chancers and charlatans seem to be ruling the roost so if you can't beat them you might as well join them. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He knew the lowest common denominator would gobble it up.

pjohnson wrote: »
    He knew the lowest common denominator would gobble it up.

^^^^^^

The irony of calling 23% of voters who gave him their first preference “the lowest common denominator” based on something he never actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

^^^^^^

The irony of calling 23% of voters who gave him their first preference “the lowest common denominator” based on something he never actually said.

Just coincidence that all who happily moan/complain about travellers just happened to jump on his bandwagon eh?

I said he only got 23% because he didn't commit. Needed the bang the anti-immigration, anti-dole & anti-gay/trans drums to win. It was publicity stunt he never got cranky enough.

Let’s go back to when it all started.

What is your opinion on the houses that are STILL lying vacant in Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

At least he can talk properly .

What? Peter Casey? Are you having a laugh?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Moghead wrote: »
    Isn't the lad who made that video a middle aged dole sponger who lives with his mam?

Probably has his British army pension Bo keep him in batteries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He was best in the debates I seen. He came across as much mire intelligent than all bar Michael D.
    He is well able to talk and explain himself.

Clearly you have never seen Peter Casey talk. He comes across as bumbling, hesitant and inarticulate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Clearly you have never seen Peter Casey talk. He comes across as bumbling, hesitant and inarticulate.
    I've seen him like that once, on the Late Late show when he clearly drunk. Any other time I've seen him he spoke well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I've seen him like that once, on the Late Late show when he clearly drunk. Any other time I've seen him he spoke well.

Maybe it was you that was drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just coincidence that all who happily moan/complain about travellers just happened to jump on his bandwagon eh?

I said he only got 23% because he didn't commit. Needed the bang the anti-immigration, anti-dole & anti-gay/trans drums to win. It was publicity stunt he never got cranky enough.

Virtue Signalling nonsense as usual from you. Why don't you run for election on a platform of constantly whining about After Hours. I have never seen someone do so much whinging about a forum and yet post in almost every thread on it. Its almost like you need to be seen to be giving out about it.

I voted for him in the election and I can guarantee I certainly wouldn't have voted for him if there was any anti-gay/trans commentary from him and I imagine many more would have been the same. But it suits your ilk to paint a broad brush over anyone that might have agreed somewhat with his comments on travellers.

• Advertisement

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Virtue Signalling nonsense as usual from you. Why don't you run for election on a platform of constantly whining about After Hours. I have never seen someone do so much whinging about a forum and yet post in almost every thread on it. Its almost like you need to be seen to be giving out about it.

I voted for him in the election and I can guarantee I certainly wouldn't have voted for him if there was any anti-gay/trans commentary from him and I imagine many more would have been the same. But it suits your ilk to paint a broad brush over anyone that might have agreed somewhat with his comments on travellers.

What did he actually do about traveller issues though? Only entrench opinion more.

Why does this successful business man constantly assume he is entitled to the top job without actually rolling his sleeves up and doing some work?
    He miserably lost the Seanad Election (he got 14 votes when 113 were required) and he got 23% of the presidential vote while the frontrunner got 56%. Not even close again. He wanted to join FF and take the leadership immediately without doing any actual work.

The majority of the electorate are clearly sending him a message - 'do some actual work and get back to us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He didn't say that, he illustrated how travellers want special treatment as shown in the tipperary situation where they refused to move into new homes without an area for horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mad_maxx wrote:
    He didn't say that, he illustrated how travellers want special treatment as shown in the tipperary situation where they refused to move into new homes without an area for horses

Said houses are still lying idle in the middle of a housing crisis.

Said houses are still lying idle in the middle of a housing crisis.

And what we have to assess as an electorate is, did Casey's intervention make resolution of that, better or worse?

Clearly as it isn't resolved the suspicion is that negative, finger-pointing publicity hasn't helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

populist
    /ˈpɒpjʊlɪst/

noun

a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.

oh no, not a populist!

And what we have to assess as an electorate is, did Casey's intervention make resolution of that, better or worse?

He called out the bs travellers engage in and many agree with him especially those that are footing the bill for the traveller lifestyle. His intervention made it harder for the travellers in question to try and blackmail the council for stables. So I guess Better for the taxpayer Worse for the travellers.;-). Although it was funny to see him being called racist when he said everyone should be treated the SAME.

He called out the bs travellers engage in and many agree with him especially those that are footing the bill for the traveller lifestyle. His intervention made it harder for the travellers in question to try and blackmail the council for stables. So I guess Better for the taxpayer Worse for the travellers.;-). .

...which has led to a satisfactory resolution of the issue/issues for the taxpayer?

Eh...nope. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The far left, anti worker types seem to really really hate Casey don't they? How dare anyone question the cosy media consensus on the unaffordable welfare state and take working people into consideration! A sniff of a thread on the man and it's like a dogwhistle (they love that word!) has been blown - and they arrive en masse (well, all 3 or 4 of them) snarling and shouting down anyone who has a different opinion to them. We've seen it just in the last page here - equating Casey voters with "anti gay, anti trans" views etc etc etc (I've even seen his election comments - which were, let's not forget, rather mild and certainly not extreme - described as "hate speech"). The point has been made before, but this is exactly how Trump got elected (which is where Casey's comparison with the bould Donald ends IMHO).

Clearly as it isn't resolved the suspicion is that negative, finger-pointing publicity hasn't helped.

So you are saying that it’s Peter Caseys fault now for them still refusing to move in?

• Advertisement

...which has led to a satisfactory resolution of the issue/issues for the taxpayer?

They didn't get the stables they were demanding. That to me is a result. Has your party got over the trauma of Casey hammering their candidate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement