Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Enter the Dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What are the main things Ming has achieved as an MEP?

His voting rate of just 16 percent in European Parliament plenary sessions is abysmal. The average across MEPs is about 75 percent.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    Just fact checked that for you because it didn't sound right. He has a voting attendance record of 95.44%, the second highest among Irish MEPs.

You pulled that 16% figure from a 2014 report, when apparently, his wife was ill in his first few months in Europe.

https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-luke-ming-flanagan-2.html

*No affiliation to Ming

Fact-checking is vital! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I can't see him doing well. What happened at the time of the presidential election was the equivalent of catching lightning in a bottle. He said something that resonated with many people. A vote for him was a way for ordinary people to get their point across about travellers. Casey himself isn't that impressive but that wasn't the point at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Necro wrote: »
    Just so I have it clear:

He's not running on an Irexit ticket.

But he does want Ireland to leave the single currency.

He dislikes (rightly) that travellers have ethnic status.

Something something immigration.

He's a successful business man.

The Irexit party supports him

He did in the past support Irexit

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He looked after his sick wife, thought this was covered several times here.

Yeah. His wife was ill so he took a year off on EU taxpayers money.
    No other normal worker get away with that kind of stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Casey should stick to Irish politics.
    No business in Europe. Out of his depth.

He should do what the Shinners do and just highlight issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

he'll win it too
    Hopefully.

Phoebas wrote: »
    He skived off for a full year.

I think a sick spouse should take precedence. You don’t believe she was ill though. Have you proof that she wasn’t?

Yeah. His wife was ill so he took a year off on EU taxpayers money.
    No other normal worker get away with that kind of stunt.

Anyone would if they could. If you could look after a sick loved one and get paid, wouldn’t you do it? A lot of illnesses are really all-consuming. Sounds like it was a tough time. I doubt he was tenting his hands with glee.

I was working at that time. Gotta say I’ve no problem with my taxes that year going towards that. And of course, it doesn’t mean he didn’t work that year, just probably spent less time in Brussels than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote:
    Yeah. His wife was ill so he took a year off on EU taxpayers money. No other normal worker get away with that kind of stunt.

I love seeing someone having to back peddle, mind you don't fall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't like that article very much. Irexit nonsense aside, it's very pretentious.

Not to mention ill-informed.

Smacks of another rich guy ala Jacob-Rees Mogg who might profiteer from an Irexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

The European Parliament is a gravy train retirement home for useless politicians.
    Would prefer if Casey ran for the Dail.
    nah..leave him in Europe they deserve him, better there than here.

Anyone would if they could. If you could look after a sick loved one and get paid, wouldn’t you do it? A lot of illnesses are really all-consuming. Sounds like it was a tough time. I doubt he was tenting his hands with glee.

I was working at that time. Gotta say I’ve no problem with my taxes that year going towards that. And of course, it doesn’t mean he didn’t work that year, just probably spent less time in Brussels than normal.

If you're happy that one of only 11 MEPs that we have takes a year off (and his record shows that not only did he not vote, but he didn't attend either) on a sizable taxpayer funded salary, then good for you.

For me it shows a disregard for the importance of the role and the hard-pressed taxpayers that do have to go to work every day to pay for it.

I think a sick spouse should take precedence. You don’t believe she was ill though. Have you proof that she wasn’t?

She was ill. I never said she wasn't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Guy is amazing. Pity he isn't the taoiseach. If he was taoiseach the country would be so much safer. Met him a couple of times. He is a legend.

If you're happy that one of only 11 MEPs that we have takes a year off (and his record shows that not only did he not vote, but he didn't attend either) on a sizable taxpayer funded salary, then good for you.

For me it shows a disregard for the importance of the role and the hard-pressed taxpayers that do have to go to work every day to pay for it.

I am. I’ve both experienced serious illness myself and cared for an ill family member. I really am fine with it. If he was able to do that, good luck to him. I doubt he did nothing all year either.

Phoebas wrote:
    She was ill. I never said she wasn't.

Surely Brian Crowley must really infuriate you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

He looked after his sick wife, thought this was covered several times here.

My recollection is that he cared for his sick wife........and then continued to avoid work long after she recovered, only attending again when the issue was highlighted.

I am. I’ve both experienced serious illness myself and cared for an ill family member. I really am fine with it. If he was able to do that, good luck to him. I doubt he did nothing all year either.
    I've no problems with him looking after his sick wife. My problem is that while he was taking his time off, Ireland was short 1 of our 11 representatives (10 if you include Crowley who hasn't gone to work at all).
    The EP has a system whereby an MEP can move aside in favour of their nominated replacement. When it was clear that Ming decided that he wasn't going to go to work for an extended period, he should have stepped aside. Instead he chose the easy option for him and pocketed the €140k.
    Surely Brian Crowley must really infuriate you?

Absolutely.

• Advertisement

She was ill. I never said she wasn't. :confused:

You said “allegedly” in one of your earlier posts!

You said “allegedly” in one of your earlier posts!

No I didn't. Stop lying.

Phoebas wrote:
    Absolutely.

Yet you didn't mention Crowley funny that, considering Ming's record is so much better.

No I didn't. Stop lying.

Sorry my mistake. You said apparently. What does that even mean? You didn’t say “she was ill “ you said “apparently she was ill?

Yet you didn't mention Crowley funny that, considering Ming's record is so much better.

Not funny at all as I was replying to a post about Ming.
    Crowley should have stepped aside years ago.

Phoebas wrote:
    He took his first year off. Apparently his wife wasn't feeling well so Ming decided to stay off work to mind her.

What context were you using the word 'apparently' in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,899 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Back on topic.

Peter is going for the hat-trick..three attempts at getting elected to something and 3 failures possibly.
    Isn't he a little shy in rolling up his sleeves at grassroots level and actually proving his worth, like most other politicians.

Phoebas wrote:
    Not funny at all as I was replying to a post about Ming. Crowley should have stepped aside years ago.

Nah it's still funny

Sorry my mistake.
    Apology accepted.
    What context were you using the word 'apparently' in ?
    The common context i.e. it appears that she was ill.

There is nobody disputing that she was ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The same Ming said before he got elected as a TD was that politicians in this country was getting paid to much and he would only take half of a TDs salary if he got elected and the other half going to local causes.I can't recall where this money went.The same clown has no problem taking his full MEP salary + expenses now.So much for the promise to only take half his salary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement