Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent tenant

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How do you think the folk living on the streets got there?

And there is such a thing as running a business with humanity , as the OP exempifies,.
    No it isn’t, a business going bust could impact a lot more than just one person who lets be realistic is not going to end up on the street.

Graces7 wrote: »
    How do you think the folk living on the streets got there?

Mental health and addiction issues mostly. This man is paying rent for years, he has an income he would have many alternatives to sleeping on the street such as staying in a B&B temporarily. I'm not saying he is in a good situation but he is not going to end up on the street, that's just sensationalist.

Does he have any family is the main question I would have, if he has then they will surely put him up for a while.

Really? Rose coloured glasses you wear..
    Mental health and addiction issues mostly. This man is paying rent for years, he has an income he would have many alternatives to sleeping on the street such as staying in a B&B temporarily. I'm not saying he is in a good situation but he is not going to end up on the street, that's just sensationalist.

Does he have any family is the main question I would have, if he has then they will surely put him up for a while.

Really? Rose coloured glasses you wear..

No it is a fact, plain and simple not open for dispute. Rough sleepers are doing so due to an array of issues mostly related to mental health and/or addiction issues. This is clearly stated also by anyone involved with homeless/rough sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bob_sponge

Thank you to all who made helpful suggestions and contacted me via PM, I really appreciate it.

I’m not going to defend my need to divest this property, I’m not obliged to lay out my financial situation for anyone. My tenant and I both know that we have been nothing but respectful in our dealings with each other over the years. I will continue to assist him in gaining access to support, he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

bob_sponge wrote: »
    he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

It is very sad to hear people still think like this as it has lead to many ending up in very bad situations such as those who wouldn't return from England as they thought they would be seen as "failures".

If I was you I would strongly advise him to forget about any notions about pride, nobody cares about this and to contact his family for help rather than putting himself though unnecessary hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

No it is a fact, plain and simple not open for dispute. Rough sleepers are doing so due to an array of issues mostly related to mental health and/or addiction issues. This is clearly stated also by anyone involved with homeless/rough sleepers.

About 16 years ago, I was volunteering with Focus Ireland. It was a totally different situation. I naively thought that homeless people "had no homes" (whatever that means) or couldnt afford rent. They were in fact the over flow of the mental health service. If you couldnt work with a mental health officer, you ended up out on the street. Some people were nice and truly suffering and others were ..... not very nice at all. Everyone aparts from these housed back then, some way some how. Now it is different and Irish citizens are being evicted.

Now we are seeing more families being homeless.

Thank you for your respect for this man and his needs and for your humanity. For not bulldozing his life!
    Thank you to all who made helpful suggestions and contacted me via PM, I really appreciate it.

I’m not going to defend my need to divest this property, I’m not obliged to lay out my financial situation for anyone. My tenant and I both know that we have been nothing but respectful in our dealings with each other over the years. I will continue to assist him in gaining access to support, he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

Says who? As I was almost made homeless and have neither mental health nor addiction issues, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Dog day

About 16 years ago, I was volunteering with Focus Ireland. It was a totally different situation. I naively thought that homeless people "had no homes" (whatever that means) or couldnt afford rent. They were in fact the over flow of the mental health service. If you couldnt work with a mental health officer, you ended up out on the street. Some people were nice and truly suffering and others were ..... not very nice at all. Everyone aparts from these housed back then, some way some how. Now it is different and Irish citizens are being evicted.

Now we are seeing more families being homeless.

Echoing this for the most part as I have volunteered with a couple of Homeless Charities too. It does give you keen insights into the actuality of the homeless crisis as opposed to only the (generally) most sensationalist cases covered by the media being taken as the full picture.

Having said this, as a Nation our government continues to fail on properly addressing this issue for all those whom are in this appalling situation of having to worry about a place to call ‘home’.

I’m only commenting on this in some detail now as the OP has kindly come back to thank all those who have tried to help & in this individual case I’m strongly encouraged (thanks to the OP & the good people of Boards!) & hopeful that this particular mans story will end well.

• Advertisement

Says who? .

Every expert who speaks on the topic, all the homeless charities, anyone you listen top on the tv or radio. It's not hard to miss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks if you'd like to have a general discussion about homelessness and homeless charities please start a new thread.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

My tenant has been with me 8 years in a small studio apartment in Dublin 3. He is of pensionable age and an absolute gentleman. He worked in the building trade all his life and is incredibly handy and he has always made small improvements in the apartment (agreed with me in advance). He keeps the apartment in pristine condition and gets on well with all his neighbours. I am now selling the apartment as it’s been a disastrous investment for me, even at interest only the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage and I have to think of my own family.
    I gave him notice in May which ran until the end of December. He is now staying on a week to week basis until the sale closes (later this month). He has had no luck finding an alternative place to rent. He is on rent supplement (not HAP). DCC have repeatedly advised him to overhold but he has refused to do so as he felt it was disrespectful to me. We have always got on very well, he is never any trouble at all. My heart is broken for him as he faces homelessness. I’ve been helping him with his search but anything he can afford is in such demand that he loses out. He isn’t Internet savvy so wouldn’t be any good on Daft etc. He was very upset last week given what happened that poor man in his tent on the canal as that is where he envisages ending up. He has been in to DCC countless times since getting his notice but they have not offered him anything.
    I know there are quite a few landlords on here, I was wondering would anyone be in a position to consider him as a tenant? I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

I have a very similar situation with an elderly Tennant, on HAP, will not be able to afford rent elsewhere if I sell. Small house in rural area. He enquired with council about where he could go, they said a hostel! I have sleepless nights about the whole business. I need to sell but don't think I could cope if Tennant became homeless. A model Tennant too and there 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Dog day

I have a very similar situation with an elderly Tennant, on HAP, will not be able to afford rent elsewhere if I sell. I need to sell but don't think I could cope if Tennant became homeless. A model Tennant too and there 7 years.

Hi Sun in Capri, no doubt you’ve read the suggestions here, I’ve unfortunately nothing further to add by way of ideas both myself & others have noted in this thread.

This is just to wish you the best of luck in finding a mutually agreeable resolution. It’s a very difficult situation & I’m once again heartened to hear of another good natured person so concerned for a person in need. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's going to be increasing problem not just for older people but families etc as smaller LL are replace with "professional" LLs people will be priced out of the areas they know and will have to relocate further away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

This! Why does he need to live in Dublin particularly if he is off pensionable age.
    Plenty off people like myself have to live in Dublin because of work, but there are many affordable places once you movie away from the pale.

Where? I dont know of any part of the country now where its easy to find rental accomdation

lollsangel wrote: »
    Where? I dont know of any part of the country now where its easy to find rental accomdation

You are correct. Took me months and then I managed to get a council place in a remote area where few want to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

You are correct. Took me months and then I managed to get a council place in a remote area where few want to live.

How do you manage when you get Ill living in such a remote place? Is it difficult to access a hospital should you need medical care? Few would chance living so remotely especially during their advancing years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Steer55 wrote: »
    How do you manage when you get Ill living in such a remote place? Is it difficult to access a hospital should you need medical care? Few would chance living so remotely especially during their advancing years

How do people currently live in the country side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Dublin City Council advising someone to overhold is an absolute disgrace!

Steer55 wrote: »

Quite the contrary. Many old folk live on the islands and we have excellent medical care access. NB I am long term ill/disabled and not a worry.
    A dr comes frequently and at need in urgent need, and we have a nurse

And in accident or dire need? The Air Ambulance comes in. We have a helipad and to hospital far faster than by road . Far faster!

I have lived over 30 years in remote/island place, here and in Scotland and never a worry . Always excellent medical cover

beauf wrote: »
    It's going to be increasing problem not just for older people but families etc as smaller LL are replace with "professional" LLs people will be priced out of the areas they know and will have to relocate further away.

I have lived perforce in 7 counties in less than 20 years with 10 moves. Easier for single and old than for families. Has been getting harder for many years . Am hoping that now I am a council tenant this will be stability. Leaving Kerry was the hardest thing of it all; I was so happy and settled there. My landlord was so upset; he could hardly get the words out to tell me he had to sell.

I check daft ie out of interest. Does not get easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Good on you OP. It's nice to know there are still nice people out there. Life can make you cynical. Really hope this gentleman gets sorted out.

OP; any news please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

How do people currently live in the country side ?

I used to live in the countryside, 39 km from nearest hospital, not a centre of excellence. Sold up to move to city to be near better health care facilities and better amenities. It is very important to me to have all the services of the city at my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BigVanVador

Dublin City Council advising someone to overhold is an absolute disgrace!

I just went through hell to get a tenant out for non payment of rent. She had contacted TD's and councillors that told her the same. She stole most of my furniture, thrashed the place, owes me over 4k and left enough rubbish to fill a skip. It's put me off renting it again.

Advertisement