Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent tenant

Options
  • 20-01-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My tenant has been with me 8 years in a small studio apartment in Dublin 3. He is of pensionable age and an absolute gentleman. He worked in the building trade all his life and is incredibly handy and he has always made small improvements in the apartment (agreed with me in advance). He keeps the apartment in pristine condition and gets on well with all his neighbours. I am now selling the apartment as it’s been a disastrous investment for me, even at interest only the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage and I have to think of my own family.
    I gave him notice in May which ran until the end of December. He is now staying on a week to week basis until the sale closes (later this month). He has had no luck finding an alternative place to rent. He is on rent supplement (not HAP). DCC have repeatedly advised him to overhold but he has refused to do so as he felt it was disrespectful to me. We have always got on very well, he is never any trouble at all. My heart is broken for him as he faces homelessness. I’ve been helping him with his search but anything he can afford is in such demand that he loses out. He isn’t Internet savvy so wouldn’t be any good on Daft etc. He was very upset last week given what happened that poor man in his tent on the canal as that is where he envisages ending up. He has been in to DCC countless times since getting his notice but they have not offered him anything.
    I know there are quite a few landlords on here, I was wondering would anyone be in a position to consider him as a tenant? I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bob_sponge wrote: »
    My tenant has been with me 8 years in a small studio apartment in Dublin 3. He is of pensionable age and an absolute gentleman. He worked in the building trade all his life and is incredibly handy and he has always made small improvements in the apartment (agreed with me in advance). He keeps the apartment in pristine condition and gets on well with all his neighbours. I am now selling the apartment as it’s been a disastrous investment for me, even at interest only the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage and I have to think of my own family.
    I gave him notice in May which ran until the end of December. He is now staying on a week to week basis until the sale closes (later this month). He has had no luck finding an alternative place to rent. He is on rent supplement (not HAP). DCC have repeatedly advised him to overhold but he has refused to do so as he felt it was disrespectful to me. We have always got on very well, he is never any trouble at all. My heart is broken for him as he faces homelessness. I’ve been helping him with his search but anything he can afford is in such demand that he loses out. He isn’t Internet savvy so wouldn’t be any good on Daft etc. He was very upset last week given what happened that poor man in his tent on the canal as that is where he envisages ending up. He has been in to DCC countless times since getting his notice but they have not offered him anything.
    I know there are quite a few landlords on here, I was wondering would anyone be in a position to consider him as a tenant? I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

Could you perhaps try and get him to provide some sort of assurances to prospective buyer's, persuade him to allow viewings and to talk to those interested

Sell with him in situ, shouldn't be too difficult to find someone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Could you perhaps try and get him to provide some sort of assurances to prospective buyer's, persuade him to allow viewings and to talk to those interested

Sell with him in situ, shouldn't be too difficult to find someone

A bank wont give a mortgage with a sitting tenant. That would limit the sellers options.

Its a ****ty state of affairs but not one of the OPs making

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

godtabh wrote: »
    A bank wont give a mortgage with a sitting tenant. That would limit the sellers options.

Its a ****ty state of affairs but not one of the OPs making

Plenty of cash buyers out there and i imagine most interested parties for a studio will be BTL buyers but no way seller can maximise sale with tenant in situ

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bob_sponge

I have a buyer who intends to live there himself so has no interest in taking on a tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Has he tried any of the charities, Cluid might be able to offer advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

God this is awful. Fair play to you for trying to help him in this way.

I have no advice to offer just that I am glad there are people out there like you and I hope this man gets sorted. Its very hard for single men in this situation. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm so sorry to hear this. There are specific organisations that provide housing for older people including Alone, there are some links below. Can he get in contact with each of these and see what might be available?

https://www.ageaction.ie/how-we-can-help/information

https://alone.ie/what-we-do/housingwithsupport/

https://www.foldireland.ie

I hope this gentleman finds something. Fair play to you for being compassionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Hopefully your tenant can get sorted. But, realistically speaking, he may be looking at having to move outside of Dublin. While not ideal, it could be an opportunity to start a new chapter in his life. There are many fine communities around the country where he could be very happy. He's clearly made a great impression on you and it's likely he would do so on any new people he meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I would think a move out of Dublin would be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This! Why does he need to live in Dublin particularly if he is off pensionable age.
    Plenty off people like myself have to live in Dublin because of work, but there are many affordable places once you movie away from the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

This! Why does he need to live in Dublin particularly if he is off pensionable age.
    Plenty off people like myself have to live in Dublin because of work, but there are many affordable places once you movie away from the pale.

Why should he have to move away from the area he has lived in his entire life
    He will have friends and family in the area, a support network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Op would you have any legal comeback against the council for advising him to over hold such as a claim for any financial losses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Nothing to add/help but to say fair play to you Op for trying help. Fingers crossed a favourable outcome can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Probably because of the lack of other accommodation. Have you been paying attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

You could also say that to a private renter where they need to move away from their support system and commute an hour a day because they can’t afford the area they want to live in. Why should it be no different for a person getting help from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The same support network that has him living in a glorified bedsit(*) and isn't helping him find somewhere new to live? There are nicer people in most small towns around the country.

(*) Not getting at the OP here, I'm sure it's a nice studio as studios go. But they are what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Only option i can think at the moment is to look at house sharing options if he is facing homelessness. Temporary measure would allow him more time to look for a single apartment for himself. The council will also transfer his rent supplement into HAP payments which would help him with the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The same support network that has him living in a glorified bedsit(*) and isn't helping him find somewhere new to live? There are nicer people in most small towns around the country.

(*) Not getting at the OP here, I'm sure it's a nice studio as studios go. But they are what they are.

Not sure what the point of that dig is? Maybe he likes his current accomodation, hence having stayed there for so long. If the vast majority of elderly people downsized to more modest 1 bedroom properties rather than knocking around an empty nest, it may go some way to helping take some pressure from families looking for larger homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not sure what the point of that dig is? Maybe he likes his current accomodation, hence having stayed there for so long. If the vast majority of elderly people downsized to more modest 1 bedroom properties rather than knocking around an empty nest, it may go some way to helping take some pressure from families looking for larger homes.

Dunno. I’m kinda looking forward to rattling around my empty nest. I worked hard enough for it. Few years yet to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Because he can't afford to live there simple. We would all like to live in the best location etc.. it's a choice.. we can't have it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Op would you have any legal comeback against the council for advising him to over hold such as a claim for any financial losses

This is the norm & happens every day of the week. Charities & Councils advise overholding

A good lesson for those who don’t think owning your own home is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

There is a Facebook page called The Homeshare that helps older people remain in their homes by letting them rent out rooms in their homes in exchange for companionship and helping them out with some household chores.
    Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

True statement but it's only this way because the market is so bloody distorted.

The asset driven nature of housing since the early 90s has ruined home ownership the world over. Not just here.

It's an absolute mess for all concerned and no end in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Much easier to save to buy your own home if you’re able to live with your parents until your mid 30’s without paying them a cent for the privilege, despite having a well paid professional job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Forcing an older man away from his network or friends and family could kill someone like that, the mental strain alone. I’ve seen that before with men when the rugs been pulled from under them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely it must be terrible to be elderly and facing eviction like this with no safety net. I guess him buying the apt himself is out of the question or any housing organisation helping him in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You do know this isn't an option for some people?

@paulieeye it's an awful predicament to be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is nothing wrong with bedsits.

Period. Lived in them many years in the UK

And that s more than a bedsit. And his home

I had to relocate nearly three years ago because of lack of availability of suitable rentals. It has been and is a very hard thing to do when over 70 and I had to move province. Has affected health badly, and irreparably. Please don't underestimate the very real trauma to this older man.

Renters are people.

OP. thank you for caring. So few do. Hoping somewhere is found

It is far from possible for many of us to buy a house. Very far.

Advertisement