Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Dog day

Hi OP, firstly just a note to commend you for your compassion for this elderly tenant, it’s truly heartening to see.

I’ve read some but not all of this thread but unfortunately it seems it’s been somewhat derailed from offering solutions to your original query.

I just wanted to echo the advice one poster gave which is to look into your tenant seeking rental accommodation with another elderly person who needs companionship. He sounds like a lovely man & given he’s well liked & still enjoys doing DIY jobs this could be a great solution. Apologies I don’t have any websites to hand but I do know that Newstalk ran a discussion on this matter on the Ciara Kelly Show a short while ago so they may be able to point you in the right direction in terms of organisations that can assist.

Another option is for your tenant to advertise himself on Daft for a house share. I know you mentioned he’s not Tech savvy but perhaps you could help him with this. The very first lodger I took into my new home years ago did this, on paper he wouldn’t have been the social ‘ideal’ for a houseshare ie. older man etc but to this date he’s one of the best lodgers I’ve ever had.

I hope this helps & wish yourself & this man (who sounds lovely!) all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dog day wrote: »

I just wanted to echo the advice one poster gave which is to look into your tenant seeking rental accommodation with another elderly person who needs companionship. He sounds like a lovely man & given he’s well liked & still enjoys doing DIY jobs this could be a great solution

Trust me as you get older and you are less likely to adapt to change. Once you live on your own and leave the house share/family unit in your 20's it is very hard to have someone move into your space and/or move in with someone else. I say this as a married man and who has lived in a stable family environment and house share and lived on my own. It is a big shock to have to change accommodation particularly as you get older. In college you can pack up you stuff and move into a squat for 8 months and be home before baling in the summer, no big deal. As you get older its not so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

It is commendable what the op is trying to do for his tenant. But his tenant is not his responsibility. I know this sounds harsh but his tenant is the State's responsibility.

Yes it is difficult to move at any age, yes we have a housing shortage, but needs must, we can't all get what we want in life, we all need to make scarifices. The most important point is that the tenant have a roof over his head, if this is outside Dublin, if this is in a house share then it might be his only option.

It is commendable what the op is trying to do for his tenant. But his tenant is not his responsibility. I know this sounds harsh but his tenant is the State's responsibility.

Yes it is difficult to move at any age, yes we have a housing shortage, but needs must, we can't all get what we want in life, we all need to make scarifices. The most important point is that the tenant have a roof over his head, if this is outside Dublin, if this is in a house share then it might be his only option.

God help you if you think the state is going to look after you in your old age. In the same position I would "rather reign in Hell, than serve in heaven". We are not cattle and we like rule our own house. Then a move outside the city would be preferable to either living in a senior citizens home or a house share.

I absolutely agree with you on this skooterblue2 & it certainly wasn’t my intention to over-simplify. I’m just trying to suggest/reinforce concrete solutions to the issue. Equally regarding other posts I just don’t see real value in getting into a discussion here on how the State etc should shoulder the responsibility in this type of scenario as in truth that doesn’t assist the OP with this very current problem.

Once again I agree with you on the complexity of this issue. Any elderly person should by rights not have to face the stress of new living arrangements at a stage of life when they should at the very least have a comfortable & safe roof over their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

So someone should give up their life and family because they are too old to be useful.

Every village and county in the county the same issues with housing, what makes Dublin so superior. He is as entitled to live there as much as you, probably was living and working there before you were born.

Absolutely disgusting to have an opinion that a working person should be the only person entitled to accomodation in the area.

Probably thinks along the lines of this why don't we just euthaniae everyone in the country as soon as they retire and free up a few properties.

Wow...that is some wild assumptions there. What did I say that led you to all these wild accusations about the elderly and someone who is not working?

You asked "Why should he have to move away from the area he has lived in his entire life" and the answer whether you like it or not is that there is a lack of accommodation in that area so it is very expensive and out of his price range. That is simply a fact. Somehow you got to the point that I want to kill everyone over the age of 70!

Whether that is right or wrong is another story entirely and I feel for him. But I would love to hear your solution, you must have some great ideas on how to solve this so please enlighten us?

And yes of course "He is as entitled to live there as much as you", anyone and everyone is if you can find a place that fits your budget

dubrov wrote: »

The OP isn't obliged to do anything. I don't really understand those congratulating their OP for being so nice to their tenant either if h gets turfed out.
    I don't think it is a huge ask to hold on a few months more until something is sorted.

Dubrov, I feel compelled to respond here as I think the OP absolutely deserves great praise for his compassion in trying to assist this unfortunate man.

The OP has his own finances & family to consider. It’s far too easy to tar all landlords with the same brush & your statement is perplexing as to its oversimplification of a complex issue & indeed nonchalance regarding the OPs’ own circumstances.

Though I’m sure you mean to be kindhearted & understanding regarding the tenant in this situation you’ve been somewhat unkind to the OP here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dubrov

I understand the OP needs to look after himself and his family and I am not aware of the circumstances that has led to the desire to sell. So yes, there may be a lot more information to this. With the information given, the OP hasn't really done anything beyond the ordinary.

According to the OP the tenant has been excellent, maintained the apartment well and has even gone to the point of being willing to go homeless rather than overhold. The only help the OP has given to the tenant is to help try to find another property which, let's face it, is in their interest. Even the current week-to-week arrangement is again very much to the landlord's benefit as well. It only becomes a negative if it continues after the closing date which doesn't appear to be likely to happen.

The OP is under no obligation to facilitate the tenant (nor should he be). It is really the state's responsibility to take care of this situation.
    In saying that though, I'd want to be in dire financial straights to consider turfing out a pensioner given the relationship to this point. With a bit of effort all round, I'm sure an acceptable alternative could be worked out in a few months. Just more time is required.

dubrov wrote: »
    It is really the state's responsibility to take care of this situation.

Seriously, you trust the state to look after you in your old age? Have you not seen what has gone on in the last 5 years with nursing homes? I would rather be in the 'Joy than in one of the nursing homes. Single white males arent a housing priority for social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

For your realism, thank you.

When I had to leave a death trap rental I was prepared to sleep in my car rather than any communal accommodation,

Not just single males at risk.

a
    Seriously, you trust the state to look after you in your old age? Have you not seen what has gone on in the last 5 years with nursing homes? I would rather be in the 'Joy than in one of the nursing homes. Single white males arent a housing priority for social welfare.

• Advertisement

How do you think the folk living on the streets got there?

And there is such a thing as running a business with humanity , as the OP exempifies,.
    No it isn’t, a business going bust could impact a lot more than just one person who lets be realistic is not going to end up on the street.

Graces7 wrote: »
    How do you think the folk living on the streets got there?

Mental health and addiction issues mostly. This man is paying rent for years, he has an income he would have many alternatives to sleeping on the street such as staying in a B&B temporarily. I'm not saying he is in a good situation but he is not going to end up on the street, that's just sensationalist.

Does he have any family is the main question I would have, if he has then they will surely put him up for a while.

Really? Rose coloured glasses you wear..
    Mental health and addiction issues mostly. This man is paying rent for years, he has an income he would have many alternatives to sleeping on the street such as staying in a B&B temporarily. I'm not saying he is in a good situation but he is not going to end up on the street, that's just sensationalist.

Does he have any family is the main question I would have, if he has then they will surely put him up for a while.

Really? Rose coloured glasses you wear..

No it is a fact, plain and simple not open for dispute. Rough sleepers are doing so due to an array of issues mostly related to mental health and/or addiction issues. This is clearly stated also by anyone involved with homeless/rough sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bob_sponge

Thank you to all who made helpful suggestions and contacted me via PM, I really appreciate it.

I’m not going to defend my need to divest this property, I’m not obliged to lay out my financial situation for anyone. My tenant and I both know that we have been nothing but respectful in our dealings with each other over the years. I will continue to assist him in gaining access to support, he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

bob_sponge wrote: »
    he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

It is very sad to hear people still think like this as it has lead to many ending up in very bad situations such as those who wouldn't return from England as they thought they would be seen as "failures".

If I was you I would strongly advise him to forget about any notions about pride, nobody cares about this and to contact his family for help rather than putting himself though unnecessary hardship.

No it is a fact, plain and simple not open for dispute. Rough sleepers are doing so due to an array of issues mostly related to mental health and/or addiction issues. This is clearly stated also by anyone involved with homeless/rough sleepers.

About 16 years ago, I was volunteering with Focus Ireland. It was a totally different situation. I naively thought that homeless people "had no homes" (whatever that means) or couldnt afford rent. They were in fact the over flow of the mental health service. If you couldnt work with a mental health officer, you ended up out on the street. Some people were nice and truly suffering and others were ..... not very nice at all. Everyone aparts from these housed back then, some way some how. Now it is different and Irish citizens are being evicted.

Now we are seeing more families being homeless.

Thank you for your respect for this man and his needs and for your humanity. For not bulldozing his life!
    Thank you to all who made helpful suggestions and contacted me via PM, I really appreciate it.

I’m not going to defend my need to divest this property, I’m not obliged to lay out my financial situation for anyone. My tenant and I both know that we have been nothing but respectful in our dealings with each other over the years. I will continue to assist him in gaining access to support, he is a proud man and doesn’t want to involve his family in his issues.

Says who? As I was almost made homeless and have neither mental health nor addiction issues, you are wrong.

About 16 years ago, I was volunteering with Focus Ireland. It was a totally different situation. I naively thought that homeless people "had no homes" (whatever that means) or couldnt afford rent. They were in fact the over flow of the mental health service. If you couldnt work with a mental health officer, you ended up out on the street. Some people were nice and truly suffering and others were ..... not very nice at all. Everyone aparts from these housed back then, some way some how. Now it is different and Irish citizens are being evicted.

Now we are seeing more families being homeless.

Echoing this for the most part as I have volunteered with a couple of Homeless Charities too. It does give you keen insights into the actuality of the homeless crisis as opposed to only the (generally) most sensationalist cases covered by the media being taken as the full picture.

Having said this, as a Nation our government continues to fail on properly addressing this issue for all those whom are in this appalling situation of having to worry about a place to call ‘home’.

I’m only commenting on this in some detail now as the OP has kindly come back to thank all those who have tried to help & in this individual case I’m strongly encouraged (thanks to the OP & the good people of Boards!) & hopeful that this particular mans story will end well.

• Advertisement

Says who? .

Every expert who speaks on the topic, all the homeless charities, anyone you listen top on the tv or radio. It's not hard to miss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks if you'd like to have a general discussion about homelessness and homeless charities please start a new thread.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

My tenant has been with me 8 years in a small studio apartment in Dublin 3. He is of pensionable age and an absolute gentleman. He worked in the building trade all his life and is incredibly handy and he has always made small improvements in the apartment (agreed with me in advance). He keeps the apartment in pristine condition and gets on well with all his neighbours. I am now selling the apartment as it’s been a disastrous investment for me, even at interest only the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage and I have to think of my own family.
    I gave him notice in May which ran until the end of December. He is now staying on a week to week basis until the sale closes (later this month). He has had no luck finding an alternative place to rent. He is on rent supplement (not HAP). DCC have repeatedly advised him to overhold but he has refused to do so as he felt it was disrespectful to me. We have always got on very well, he is never any trouble at all. My heart is broken for him as he faces homelessness. I’ve been helping him with his search but anything he can afford is in such demand that he loses out. He isn’t Internet savvy so wouldn’t be any good on Daft etc. He was very upset last week given what happened that poor man in his tent on the canal as that is where he envisages ending up. He has been in to DCC countless times since getting his notice but they have not offered him anything.
    I know there are quite a few landlords on here, I was wondering would anyone be in a position to consider him as a tenant? I would wholeheartedly recommend him.

I have a very similar situation with an elderly Tennant, on HAP, will not be able to afford rent elsewhere if I sell. Small house in rural area. He enquired with council about where he could go, they said a hostel! I have sleepless nights about the whole business. I need to sell but don't think I could cope if Tennant became homeless. A model Tennant too and there 7 years.

I have a very similar situation with an elderly Tennant, on HAP, will not be able to afford rent elsewhere if I sell. I need to sell but don't think I could cope if Tennant became homeless. A model Tennant too and there 7 years.

Hi Sun in Capri, no doubt you’ve read the suggestions here, I’ve unfortunately nothing further to add by way of ideas both myself & others have noted in this thread.

This is just to wish you the best of luck in finding a mutually agreeable resolution. It’s a very difficult situation & I’m once again heartened to hear of another good natured person so concerned for a person in need. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's going to be increasing problem not just for older people but families etc as smaller LL are replace with "professional" LLs people will be priced out of the areas they know and will have to relocate further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

This! Why does he need to live in Dublin particularly if he is off pensionable age.
    Plenty off people like myself have to live in Dublin because of work, but there are many affordable places once you movie away from the pale.

Where? I dont know of any part of the country now where its easy to find rental accomdation

lollsangel wrote: »
    Where? I dont know of any part of the country now where its easy to find rental accomdation

You are correct. Took me months and then I managed to get a council place in a remote area where few want to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

You are correct. Took me months and then I managed to get a council place in a remote area where few want to live.

How do you manage when you get Ill living in such a remote place? Is it difficult to access a hospital should you need medical care? Few would chance living so remotely especially during their advancing years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Steer55 wrote: »
    How do you manage when you get Ill living in such a remote place? Is it difficult to access a hospital should you need medical care? Few would chance living so remotely especially during their advancing years

How do people currently live in the country side ?

Advertisement