Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Anyone heading over to the London game in May. I'm not a Rossie but I'll be in London when its on so I'm thinking about going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

There will be usual 500 to 1,000 travelling I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone heading over to the London game in May. I'm not a Rossie but I'll be in London when its on so I'm thinking about going to see it.

It's a good day out.Saturday evening this time so probably get a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I was there in 2015 and am going again next year.

Its a day out for GAA fans living in London not just a few tourists flying over. They have entertainment before and after the game too.

Decent performance today. Nice to see some new guys get a run out at senior level.

Killoran was fantastic, Brian Stack at full back didn't give Pat Hughes a kick, Hughes btw looks big enough to be a challenging a 1980s Hulk Hogan.

Cian McKeon and Lennon had very good second halves and I think both put themselves in strong position to start first league game vs Laois in three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Need serious work on the kick outs,think we lost nearly all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

We won which is the main thing but a lot of improvement needed especially as said above winning some possession from kick outs.

Sligo had 10 of the team that started their 2015 minor victory over Roscommon starting yesterday. Kyle Cawley started that match in 15 but didn't yesterday so that's 11.

Will be interesting to see if Sligo can keep that group of young players (21-22) together over next 4-5 years. I personally can't see them staying in Division 4 very long. They just need a win, any win at this stage, think that was 13 defeats in a row stretching back to summer of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Interesting from Conor Cox with Wooly on the GAA hour. He corrected Wooly on Diarmuid Murtagh's absence - saying he wasn't sure if he's gone for the year. Might just be rehabing from previously serious enough injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

franglan wrote: »
    Interesting from Conor Cox with Wooly on the GAA hour. He corrected Wooly on Diarmuid Murtagh's absence - saying he wasn't sure if he's gone for the year. Might just be rehabing from previously serious enough injuries.

Sounded positive alright but the info I heard even today said hes not going to be involved. Hopefully he will be but I was chatting another panel member and hes said definitely not unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 rianmcn

Speaking of Conor Cox, I've heard a few rumours about which club he is joining this year. Anyone else heard anything?

Have heard one near and one as far away as possible from Carrick! Sure he might as well stay with Listowel - he won't see any club games until championship unless he thinks he might get a few pound without the drive down to Ciarraí!

Very ~professional performance in January by Ros, great seeing the likes of Gately getting a game. Leitrim bringing on a club sub keeper who doesn't do his leaving cert until 2021. Sad state of affairs. You can only beat what's put in front of you I suppose.

Bit farcical in truth. Leitrim were just woeful on the day, Roscommon could and should have hit 10 goals.

Great to see Gately in a senior jersey, the lad has been plagued by injuries ever since looking like he would be a world beater at Minor and Hogan Cup. Even after 2 ACLs his turn of pace is something else. Was disappointed he was taken off at half time though.

Finbarr Cregg looked good again, interesting to see Lavin back in goal. I doubt he returned to squad to sit on bench.

Cox looked quite rusty I thought when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Big player turn over for Roscommon once again it seems.

First choice keeper Darren O Malley, the Murtagh Brothers, Fintan Cregg, Colin Compton, John McManus all opted out. McInerney I hear hasn't opted back in either.

Add in the injuries to Harney, Devaney, Mullooly, Hussey Roscommons strength in depth is going to tested to its limit in what will be a very competitive division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

First choice keeper Darren O Malley, the Murtagh Brothers, Fintan Cregg, Colin Compton, John McManus all opted out. McInerney I hear hasn't opted back in either.

Add in the injuries to Harney, Devaney, Mullooly, Hussey Roscommons strength in depth is going to tested to its limit in what will be a very competitive division 2.

True but apart from O'Malley and Diarmuid none of the others were starters last year of the lads 100% gone. Hopefully we can get the injured players back and with the return of Mullooly and Compton we are not much weaker than we were last year. Far from ideal though and a pity we dont have a full pick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Imagine if Dublin had a turnover of players like that down the spine of their team over the past few years, it would even up the field for Sam

The problem is no sponsored cars and other perks for Roscommon players and no decent jobs to keep them near the county

Anyone at the FBD final? Poor enough stuff. We are going to struggle for scores in the league. Thought we were leggy in general, very slow to counter, phase after phase rather than letting the ball into the forward making the break to get on ball. Handpasses not going to man which should regardless of time of year. You'd know it was the first outing for O'Malley in goal too much hangtime at times with his kicks and two aimless punts in the first half when coming out with the ball straight back to Galway. Cox is out with a hand/wrist injury for the start of the league if not all of it. Not having Diarmuid or Ciarán Murtagh available either now will compound Cox's loss. You look at who might start on the forward line next weekend D'Arcy, Glennon, Lennon, Cathal Cregg little pace there. It's early days but far from on it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

franglan wrote: »
    Anyone at the FBD final? Poor enough stuff. We are going to struggle for scores in the league. Thought we were leggy in general, very slow to counter, phase after phase rather than letting the ball into the forward making the break to get on ball. Handpasses not going to man which should regardless of time of year. You'd know it was the first outing for O'Malley in goal too much hangtime at times with his kicks and two aimless punts in the first half when coming out with the ball straight back to Galway. Cox is out with a hand/wrist injury for the start of the league if not all of it. Not having Diarmuid or Ciarán Murtagh available either now will compound Cox's loss. You look at who might start on the forward line next weekend D'Arcy, Glennon, Lennon, Cathal Cregg little pace there. It's early days but far from on it today.

Cox a massive blow, did the injury happen in a recent challenge or at training?

Didn't hear when, played against Leitrim, was on media duty for Allianz last week with two fully functioning hands and was named at 15 in today's programme so guess it was fairly recent.

• Advertisement

We are at bare-bones right now alright. Really lacking numbers in defense, forwards and struggling in midfield. Glennon is latest injury so it will be interesting to see who starts next Sunday in full forward line.

Thought O'Malley had a very poor first half in terms of kick outs. Someone said he was better finding the Galway players than the Galway keeper.. second half he improved.

We tired very quickly yesterday after a decent start. Nobody outside Lennon really put their hand up for selection vs Laois.

Have to say I was impressed with Galway. The high press in first half killed us completely. They have a great pick now with so many young players coming through. Varley played out of his skin yesterday, no Roscommon player got near him all day. With the Corofin players to return you would have to fancy Galway for Connacht this year and then a semi final at minimum seems very achievable for this team especially given Connacht champions avoid Dublin and Kerry in super 8 group this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Very disappointing game. Will struggle against the likes of Kildare and Armagh with performances like that.

It's hard to know in this division, on the evidence of this we will get well beat but we lost at home to Down last time and still won division.

Today was poor. Conceding 20 points to a team promoted from division 3 is a problem. We barely laid a hand on the Laois lads all day, letting them run and kick to their hearts content. Leading by 6 in 34th minute and still only drawing suggests major issues.

I thought our approach play was so slow and ponderous all afternoon. The two times we injected some pace and power forward runs resulted in goal and penalty. Not starting Lennon was very strange because we had no focal point in attack to hit so kept passing it over and back.

Hyde continues to me of no advantage to Roscommon at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

A joke of a performance to put it mildly. Leggy, sluggish, no impetus in attack but still managed to go 6 points up. To squander that lead by conceding two cheap goals in injury time - beggars belief. Poor game management and we'll struggle now to pick up the points required elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Very disappointing game. Will struggle against the likes of Kildare and Armagh with performances like that.
    I agree. Already its a case of maintaining D2 status and seeing what the Summer brings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

After the Laois game I was disappointed. And confused.
    I couldn't figure how such a good outfit could play so badly.
    I also couldn't understand how one or two simple changes that the dogs in the street could see, weren't made.

For the first 20 minutes, Roscommon players looked so..... listless, tired, whatever. I wondered had they had some heavy training too close to the match - in other words, were they were overlooking Laois? At least 5 times in that period a Roscommon player in possession was either pinged for overcarrying or dispossessed by multiple Laois players. This was simply because there was not a single Roscommon player helping them out. Nobody was looking for the ball, except Donie who was isolated with at least 2 markers.

They improved for the last 10 minutes or so, led by Brian Stack, who should simply never, ever be wasted at full-back. He's far too valuable to the team farther out the field. He's a dynamic player, not a man-marker. Yet, in spite of all the trouble he was having, when Conor Daly came on.... they played him at wing back????

Gary Patterson was eaten alive and stayed on for the whole match. Why? He's not good enough. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the truth.

And I cannot let Noel Gately away with his incredibly greedy decision to NOT pass the ball to an unmarked Cian McKeown straight in front of a near-empty net, for what would have been a 99% certainty of a goal and a match sealer. If a 12 year old did that, you'd be taking him aside after the match to hammer home the importance of the TEAM!!! Personal glory is irrelevant. It's all about the TEAM Noel!! Unfortunately, like so many star players from small clubs, where they don't have much quality around them and feel they have to do it themselves, he took the stupid option. And he has a long history of doing the same, which is why I don't buy the excuse some have made for him of being inexperienced.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but once I thought more about it, this could be a blessing in disguise, because if Roscommon had won that game by 5 or 6 points having played poorly, it would have papered over a lot of cracks and mistakes. Maybe this can act as a kick up the arse and make everyone realise that you cannot take any team for granted. If they have realised that, I believe they should beat Fermanagh on Sunday.

megadodge wrote: »
    After the Laois game I was disappointed. And confused.
    I couldn't figure how such a good outfit could play so badly.
    I also couldn't understand how one or two simple changes that the dogs in the street could see, weren't made.

For the first 20 minutes, Roscommon players looked so..... listless, tired, whatever. I wondered had they had some heavy training too close to the match - in other words, were they were overlooking Laois? At least 5 times in that period a Roscommon player in possession was either pinged for overcarrying or dispossessed by multiple Laois players. This was simply because there was not a single Roscommon player helping them out. Nobody was looking for the ball, except Donie who was isolated with at least 2 markers.

They improved for the last 10 minutes or so, led by Brian Stack, who should simply never, ever be wasted at full-back. He's far too valuable to the team farther out the field. He's a dynamic player, not a man-marker. Yet, in spite of all the trouble he was having, when Conor Daly came on.... they played him at wing back????

Gary Patterson was eaten alive and stayed on for the whole match. Why? He's not good enough. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the truth.

And I cannot let Noel Gately away with his incredibly greedy decision to NOT pass the ball to an unmarked Cian McKeown straight in front of a near-empty net, for what would have been a 99% certainty of a goal and a match sealer. If a 12 year old did that, you'd be taking him aside after the match to hammer home the importance of the TEAM!!! Personal glory is irrelevant. It's all about the TEAM Noel!! Unfortunately, like so many star players from small clubs, where they don't have much quality around them and feel they have to do it themselves, he took the stupid option. And he has a long history of doing the same, which is why I don't buy the excuse some have made for him of being inexperienced.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but once I thought more about it, this could be a blessing in disguise, because if Roscommon had won that game by 5 or 6 points having played poorly, it would have papered over a lot of cracks and mistakes. Maybe this can act as a kick up the arse and make everyone realise that you cannot take any team for granted. If they have realised that, I believe they should beat Fermanagh on Sunday.

Roscommon should beat Fermanagh. Most teams have figured out how to beat ultra defensive teams at this stage. Laois will be decent team going forward so I wouldn't read too much into it. It was the first proper game of the season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Roscommon should beat Fermanagh. Most teams have figured out how to beat ultra defensive teams at this stage. Laois will be decent team going forward so I wouldn't read too much into it. It was the first proper game of the season as well.

By all accounts Fermanagh weren't ultra defensive against Kildare in Newbridge and could easily have got something out of that game as Fermanagh missed a number of goal chances.

Roscommon are apparently missing half of their championship team from last summer they will do well to come out of Brewster Park with a win i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I heard that Ronan Daly can be added to the long term injured list.

• Advertisement

By all accounts Fermanagh weren't ultra defensive against Kildare in Newbridge and could easily have got something out of that game as Fermanagh missed a number of goal chances.

Roscommon are apparently missing half of their championship team from last summer they will do well to come out of Brewster Park with a win i'd say.

Roscommon have a larger panel than Fermanagh and the quality of football is higher so I would still expect them to come out with a win.

Advertisement