Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

U20s beaten by Galway
    Don't Tyrone have to beat Cavan first?

They do I meant to say Tyrone/Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That first game is a must win

I hope the GAA realise that nobody from Cork is going to go to croke park two weeks in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

One change from Connacht final starting lineup with Darcy replacing injured Devaney

1. Darren O’Malley (Michael Glaveys)
    2. David Murray (Padraig Pearses)
    3. Sean Mullooly (Strokestown)
    4. Conor Daly (Padraig Pearses)
    5. Niall Daly (Padraig Pearses)
    6. Conor Hussey (Michael Glaveys)
    7. Ronan Daly (Padraig Pearses)
    8. Tadgh O’Rourke (Tulsk)
    9. Shane Killoran (Elphin)
    10. Hubert Darcy (Padraig Pearses)
    11. Cathal Cregg (Western Gaels)
    12. Niall Kilroy (Fuerty)
    13. Diarmuid Murtagh (St. Faithleachs)
    14. Conor Cox (Listowel Emmets)
    15. Enda Smith (Boyle)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

That first game is a must win

I hope the GAA realise that nobody from Cork is going to go to croke park two weeks in a row!

Win the first game and Rossies could be hitting Pairc Ui Chaoimh with a semi final place up for grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Best of luck to the team today. Hoping we have a bumper home support, looking forward to the roar that greets the team taking the field this evening.
    I'm hoping we get to the pace of the game very early (the 4 week break has me a little apprehensive on that score) and can give the same intensity as the second half in salthill for the full 70+ minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Really disappointed with the Tyrone game. While Tyrone deserved to win, that was a game that was there for the taking.

By far and away the most frustrating aspect of it all was the juvenile defending in the first half. Tyrone must have got five really soft frees - 'soft' as in they should never have been conceded - and all were in very easy scoring range. Five easy points, in a game that was destined to be close? That sort of panicky behaviour simply cannot be tolerated. People talking about experience are waffling, cos putting your hand on an opposing ball-carrier's head or shoulders is almost guaranteed to concede a free and any decent U14 knows that. Not a single one of those frees should have been conceded.

Roscommon seemed to be well off the pace in the first 15-20 minutes, but finished the half so well, I genuinely thought they were going to win the match. Despite one dreadful free concession, Enda was the best player on the pitch in the first half. Tyrone really struggled to contain him when he ran at them and virtually all of Roscommon's good attacking play involved him. In the second half whenever he got the ball he was virtually always faced with three opponents, hence he had to go sideways. And in a nutshell, that's what happened Roscommon's attacking play in the second half. No Enda, no attack.

The whole centre-back / midfield area was very loosely defended in the first half, as Sludden ran riot. Tyrone players were allowed to 1-2 far too easily, even though it was obvious what they were up to. It was very frustrating to watch.

There's no point talking about next year or improvement on last year. If a game is there to be won, go and win it! A very ordinary Kilkenny team proved that against Cork last Sunday. Cork should have been 10 points up at half-time. They weren't and Kilkenny sniffed the weakness and pounced. Roscommon must be more ruthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Agree with everything there.
    megadodge wrote: »

The whole centre-back / midfield area was very loosely defended in the first half, as Sludden ran riot. Tyrone players were allowed to 1-2 far too easily, even though it was obvious what they were up to. It was very frustrating to watch.

On this point, there seems
    to be serious issues in handing opposition runners off between the midfield and the half back area.

Far too often either our half backs, midfielders or half forwards which are tracking back are in two minds whether to mark a zone or a man and this indecision often leads to a rather porous looking defensive setup.

It was chronic in that 15min spell vs Galway and it reared its head a few times last Saturday. And when coupled with the lazy fouling it really hindered things.

Imo the excellent performance of the full backline this year is masking some issues that really need to be addressed.

Good post Megadodge.

Ultimately ya can't complain about the result but it had the really deflating feel of a game left behind. I was on the concrete seats at the town end so it was only the following night when it was highlighted on the Sunday Game when I realised how needless some of those frees in the first half were.
    Think the main difference between the teams was the speed and direction of the running game. Ours was very laboured at times and it seemed that Enda and Cregg were the only ones who could effectively break the lines with direct running. Tyrone always seemed to be able to score a nice bit easier but the man in possession always seemed to have a man at full going on an angled run off the shoulder, very effective and difficult to defend against.

Just a few other observations- maybe it was just my section but was really disappointed in the lack of involvement from the crowd to gt behind the team at key stages. Maybe it was the way Tyrone almost always responded immediately with a score of their own when we would narrow the gap.
    Walking across the pitch after the game and it's an absolute carpet, not a blade of grass out of place. Very impressive.
    Fair play to the players for staying around on the pitch afterwards. My son got a pic with Darren O'Mallet afterwards and it made his day. He got pictures with loads of kids after the final whistle having barely moved out of his goal and had a word for them all. Thought it was a very nice touch as I'm sure he would have been massively disappointed at the time.

Anyway onto next weekend and what looks like a daunting task against possibly the greatest ever team to play the game. While it's almost impossible to see anything but a Dublin win I hope the lads give everything from the word go and look on this as an opportunity to test themselves against the games elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Sludden scored 0-3 and all of his scores came in the 1st half and for 2 of those scores Hubert Darcy (a half forward) was the only player trying to tackle/block his shots at goal. McShane,Harte,Donnelly (Three of Tyrone's key players) were all held scoreless first half so clearly more of effort was made to keep an eye on them than Sludden and once that trio was allowed to influence the game 2nd half Tyrone got themselves 6 points ahead and with their experience and cuteness they weren't going to let a lead like that slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

One change Stack in for Darcy.

D_28HbOWkAERGFe?format=png&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Always a valuable contribution Tom. You've literally not provided one but of useful information in all the time I've posted here. It's always some ****e giving out about something else or some derogatory statement to another county.

The less said about that game the better.

But - what Conor Daly did was utterly DISGRACEFUL!!

He WANTED to get sent off. And he did. Leaving his 14 teammates out to dry. As if it wasn't hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Had to watch the incident back to see what was disgraceful. Daly already on yellow and does a silly trip as the Dublin player was running past him, yellow+black=red. I have seen far more disgraceful things going on with some players getting away with it and anyway that game was over as contest 11 points down and if Roscommon were given 16 men for the 2nd half they would be lucky to keep the margin to 11.

I'd look more to what was the tactics game plan meant to be,why was Roscommon so flat and lacking the energy,intensity required to be somewhat competitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

He WANTED to get sent off. And he did. Leaving his 14 teammates out to dry. As if it wasn't hard enough.

It happened right in front of where I was sitting, straight away I knew it was a black card, and I had forgotten that he was already booked.

Our discipline in defence needs improvement, watching Dublin and Tyrone, they are great at not giving away easy fouls in the scoring zone. Dean Rock kicked 10 points from frees on Saturday, no team can advance to the next level while giving away that many easy scores.

Hopefully we beat cork in 2 weeks, its just for pride, and cork are a division below roscommon in the league, but it would be good to end the season on a positive note.

Had to watch the incident back to see what was disgraceful. Daly already on yellow and does a silly trip as the Dublin player was running past him, yellow+black=red. I have seen far more disgraceful things going on with some players getting away with it and anyway that game was over as contest 11 points down and if Roscommon were given 16 men for the 2nd half they would be lucky to keep the margin to 11.

I'd look more to what was the tactics game plan meant to be,why was Roscommon so flat and lacking the energy,intensity required to be somewhat competitive?

I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or not, so I'll be very clear this time.

It's not the incidents per se that annoyed me, they were harmless, it was the fact that he WANTED to be sent off.

He got sent off on purpose! Basically, f*ck his teammates, he wants to throw a sulky tantrum because they're losing a match. That's simply out of order. And trying to excuse it with "ah they were going to lose anyway", shows the mindset of a loser.

People with winning mindsets keep going - NO MATTER WHAT!

All winners have experienced hammerings at some stage, but they learn from them and their willingness to keep going then is the same willingness to keep going that wins them matches from losing positions on other occasions.

I'm pretty certain if you asked his teammates in private if they thought what he did was ok, you'd get a pretty one-sided response.

It happened right in front of where I was sitting, straight away I knew it was a black card, and I had forgotten that he was already booked.

Our discipline in defence needs improvement, watching Dublin and Tyrone, they are great at not giving away easy fouls in the scoring zone. Dean Rock kicked 10 points from frees on Saturday, no team can advance to the next level while giving away that many easy scores.

Hopefully we beat cork in 2 weeks, its just for pride, and cork are a division below roscommon in the league, but it would be good to end the season on a positive note.

Completely agree. The needless fouling cost us the Tyrone match. And it was possibly worse against Dublin. Though to be fair, I thought Dublin were fantastic in the first half. As good as I've ever seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wooly was fairly scathing of him on the GAA hour,reckons Anthony Cunningham will dispense with him next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or not, so I'll be very clear this time.

It's not the incidents per se that annoyed me, they were harmless, it was the fact that he WANTED to be sent off.

He got sent off on purpose! Basically, f*ck his teammates, he wants to throw a sulky tantrum because they're losing a match. That's simply out of order. And trying to excuse it with "ah they were going to lose anyway", shows the mindset of a loser.

People with winning mindsets keep going - NO MATTER WHAT!

All winners have experienced hammerings at some stage, but they learn from them and their willingness to keep going then is the same willingness to keep going that wins them matches from losing positions on other occasions.

I'm pretty certain if you asked his teammates in private if they thought what he did was ok, you'd get a pretty one-sided response.

Not sure if he wanted to get sent off, is he a player that has discipline problems on the field of play before? Looked like a moment of stupidity to me and in the heat of the moment players can sometimes forget they are already on a yellow. Out of interest what did he do to receive the yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wooly was fairly scathing of him on the GAA hour,reckons Anthony Cunningham will dispense with him next season.
    I doubt it, along with his brothers he had a good consistent year. Roscommon don't have many defensive options to cover the loss of a starter either although Niall McInerney might return in 2020. Sean Mullooly needs moving out of the full back role, his positioning sense and reading of the game is all over the place to play such a role.

Not sure if he wanted to get sent off, is he a player that has discipline problems on the field of play before? Looked like a moment of stupidity to me and in the heat of the moment players can sometimes forget they are already on a yellow. Out of interest what did he do to receive the yellow?

His yellow only happened shortly before that and that was pure petulant. He very obviously fouled someone, but long after the free was given (and he seemed to have gotten away with not getting a yellow) he then went back at the player he fouled, who was holding the ball looking to take a free, and repeatedly tried to punch the ball out of his hands.

Even at that stage I was wondering about his attitude, as it wasn't in a dangerous position and he wasn't preventing a quick free putting a Dublin player away in a dangerous move, it was a nothing incident and he ended up getting a yellow card for.... stupidity.

• Advertisement

It annoys me having to highlight the Daly incident as I've long championed Conor as being the best of the Dalys, all three of whom I rate as fine footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

It annoys me having to highlight the Daly incident as I've long championed Conor as being the best of the Dalys, all three of whom I rate as fine footballers.

Conor has done well in the full back line but still think his best position is either in half back line or half forward line.

We seriously need to tighten up in full back line and not give away so many stupid frees.

McInerney would be a massive addition, tight marker, no frills defender who can do a job man to man.

Mullooly is a half back aswell, himself and Conor Daly would prob be best suited as wing backs.

I wonder would either of them work in midfield

Decided a few weeks ago to go to the Cork game, mainly to see the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh, then when it was moved I decided to go anyway. For the record, Cork city and the surrounding towns and areas are lovely and well worth a visit.

Anyway, the game and the result was a pleasant surprise. Normally Roscommon don't respond well to heavy beatings, but despite the bad start they looked well tuned in. I do rate Cork and I expect them to be right back in the swing of things in the next 2-3 years, but Roscommon looked the better and more dangerous team for most of the match.

The four goals were brilliantly constructed and finished and although Cork scored three goals the first two were fortunate to say the least. I actually thought the defending overall was much better than the previous two games, especially as Cork had racked up some good totals and looked dangerous going forward in previous matches. If Roscommon had defended like that against Tyrone (no stupid frees) there's every chance Roscommon could now be in a semi-final.

Enda was outstanding. His driving runs really cause consternation, but unfortunately outside of an occasional Cathal Cregg run, he's the only player that seems to take on defenders. I appreciate patience and working for your opportunities, but against well organised defenses there has to be more than one hard-running threat.

I was delighted for Brian Stack. He's a player I rate very highly and was excellent again last Sunday. He always seems to do the right thing and is as honest as the day is long.

Niall Daly's black card was ridiculous. It just looked like the ref was 'leveling up' after just giving a Cork lad a black. He was playing very well up to that point and I felt bad for him.

Diarmuid looked strangely indecisive when he came on. Showed well and won some good ball, but then didn't use it very well.

It was good to see Donie come on and set up Enda's goal and score a decisive point himself. After two good years he looked like a forgotten man this year.

Anyway, despite the dead rubber angle, it's still nice to end the year on a positive note.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Good to end the season on a positive note.

Hopefully ourselves and Cork will be meeting in more important games over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Decided a few weeks ago to go to the Cork game, mainly to see the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh, then when it was moved I decided to go anyway. For the record, Cork city and the surrounding towns and areas are lovely and well worth a visit.

Anyway, the game and the result was a pleasant surprise. Normally Roscommon don't respond well to heavy beatings, but despite the bad start they looked well tuned in. I do rate Cork and I expect them to be right back in the swing of things in the next 2-3 years, but Roscommon looked the better and more dangerous team for most of the match.

The four goals were brilliantly constructed and finished and although Cork scored three goals the first two were fortunate to say the least. I actually thought the defending overall was much better than the previous two games, especially as Cork had racked up some good totals and looked dangerous going forward in previous matches. If Roscommon had defended like that against Tyrone (no stupid frees) there's every chance Roscommon could now be in a semi-final.

Enda was outstanding. His driving runs really cause consternation, but unfortunately outside of an occasional Cathal Cregg run, he's the only player that seems to take on defenders. I appreciate patience and working for your opportunities, but against well organised defenses there has to be more than one hard-running threat.

I was delighted for Brian Stack. He's a player I rate very highly and was excellent again last Sunday. He always seems to do the right thing and is as honest as the day is long.

Niall Daly's black card was ridiculous. It just looked like the ref was 'leveling up' after just giving a Cork lad a black. He was playing very well up to that point and I felt bad for him.

Diarmuid looked strangely indecisive when he came on. Showed well and won some good ball, but then didn't use it very well.

It was good to see Donie come on and set up Enda's goal and score a decisive point himself. After two good years he looked like a forgotten man this year.

Anyway, despite the dead rubber angle, it's still nice to end the year on a positive note.

I cannot understand Donie Smith not getting more game time.
    Maybe because there's a bit of a 'mé féiner' to him and he doesn't mind the ball well enough when there's nothing on

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

I cannot understand Donie Smith not getting more game time.
    Maybe because there's a bit of a 'mé féiner' to him and he doesn't mind the ball well enough when there's nothing on

During the league he went off on a Holiday and missed a week or two training. Seemed to find it hard get a look in after that and was well done the list. Obviously has to be more to it than just that as i would have him a good bit ahead of the likes of Glennon(Who i think would be more suited to a three man full forward line, Seems lost in a two man and lacks pace) and some other lads.

Fair play on making the trip Megadodge!

Was delighted for team and management that they were able to sign off the campaign with a win.
    Obviously a lot of progress has been made this year. Pleasing to see a semblance of a defensive structure in place and definite improvements made in terms of strength and conditioning. 01 and 17 were great but have to say this year's provincial campaign is my now top of my list, beating Mayo in Castlebar and coming back from the dead at half time in Pearse Stadium, fantastic!

Can we make the next step up?? Vital that we keep the management team in place (heard a few rumours of Clare hurlers looking at Anthony but hopefully its the usual ****e talk ya hear around the place).

Enda and Conor will surely get All Star nominations for their efforts throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

That Clare rumour circulating around right enough.
    €100k.

I think, going from the last few years, that the biggest problem now will be to keep the whole group together for next year.

I don't know why, but Roscommon seem to turn over an awful lot of good players every year. I suppose the mediocre economic prospects in county Roscommon have a lot to do with it, but it would be nice to see all county quality players staying home for the few years they have at the top and giving it a real go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭vid36

Will Conor Cox stay ?

Advertisement