Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Laois beating Armagh fairly easy yesterday puts last week's result up as pretty decent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Coinciding two goals when you should have had one foot in the dressing room doesn't make it a good result. We were six points up and the better team

I was trying to look at the positives :)

No one's disputing that it was poor form the level of profligacy at the end,
    disgusting for the fan to see it. Laois being a decent yardstick at this level was mainly the point I was making.

Hopefully get back on track this afternoon against Fermanagh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Roscommon have a larger panel than Fermanagh and the quality of football is higher so I would still expect them to come out with a win.
    The team with the better panel today won. Roscommon struggling to cope with a injury crisis and will do well to avoid the drop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, a win is a win. The points were badly needed and they were got.

Enda, Darcy and Stack were outstanding. Virtually all good Roscommon moves involved those players.

I know people were getting impatient during the second half with the bell retention, but from Roscommon's point of view, that was simply what was needed in order to win. And considering how bad it looked at half-time with 'only' a 6 point lead and a man down it was smart play.

Speaking of sending offs, when the hell are the Dalys going to realise that mouthing off at referees and acting the bolox in general is bad for the team? If you get booked in a match for mouthing at a ref, it should be the only time in your career it happens, otherwise there have to be serious question marks over your intelligence!

Roscommon were by far the better team when they opened up as it must be said Clare were terrible in the second half. They didn't even hit a wide in the first half and never looked like scoring from play in the second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

megadodge wrote: »
    Well, a win is a win. The points were badly needed and they were got.

Enda, Darcy and Stack were outstanding. Virtually all good Roscommon moves involved those players.

I know people were getting impatient during the second half with the bell retention, but from Roscommon's point of view, that was simply what was needed in order to win. And considering how bad it looked at half-time with 'only' a 6 point lead and a man down it was smart play.

Speaking of sending offs, when the hell are the Dalys going to realise that mouthing off at referees and acting the bolox in general is bad for the team? If you get booked in a match for mouthing at a ref, it should be the only time in your career it happens, otherwise there have to be serious question marks over your intelligence!

Roscommon were by far the better team when they opened up as it must be said Clare were terrible in the second half. They didn't even hit a wide in the first half and never looked like scoring from play in the second

Clare were awful in fairness, it happens at least once every league. Normally on the 3rd week in a row we have no backbone to the panel and very little on the bench good enough to rotate

The winning and loosing of the game was ball retention and possession, roscommon controlled the second half, don't ask what our tactics were in the second half, we had nothing to offer today really

Nearly forgot - I spend enough time giving out about the very regular poor winning of the breaking ball it's only fair that I should mention that Roscommon did extremely well on the breaking ball today. Wonder of wonders!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Anyone any suggestions on parking for the match in Newbridge? I seem to remember when we played them last in Division 2 it was a bit of a nightmare looking for on street parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

blazermel wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions on parking for the match in Newbridge? I seem to remember when we played them last in Division 2 it was a bit of a nightmare looking for on street parking.
    Whitewater Shopping Centre multi-story. 5 minute walk away. And you get free parking if you show them your programme from the game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Lundstram wrote: »
    Whitewater Shopping Centre multi-story. 5 minute walk away. And you get free parking if you show them your programme from the game.

Super, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Reads like a decent win (if not a brilliant performance) in Newbridge, anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Reads like a decent win (if not a brilliant performance) in Newbridge, anyone at it?

Yes. Fantastic result. Very strange game. Roscommon were outstanding for 10 mins, then completely dominated for 25. Went in just 2 points down. Second half was give and take for both sides until roscommon got a goal and introduced Cox and Compton. Second goal killed kildare and they gave up altogether in added time.

Hoping for wins for Fermanagh and Kildare, think Cavan will beat Clare. Should beat Westmeath handy enough and it's bonus territory with div 2 status pretty much guaranteed.

Two big games coming up so need to have a bit of a cushion in a division where all teams have at least some chance of promotion going by the points table and no one is consigned to relegation yet..

Roscommon to be in 2nd spot on their own come 16.00 will do atm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

If we play like we played in the first 10 mins last week for the majority of the game, we'll hammer Westmeath. But if that 25 minute snooze is repeated at wrong time in the game, we could easily lose.

Good solid win.

After the poor first two matches, the team seem to be settling in and are playing much more assured football. They always looked the better team today and 7 points is a fair reflection of the difference between the sides.

As usual, some in the crowd were grumbling in the second half when Roscommon were comfortably playing keep-ball while holding an 8-9 point lead. Why? That's just good game management. If the opposition can't get a hand on the ball they can't win - simple stuff really.

I thought Hubert Darcy was excellent in the first half and he really is blossoming into an outstanding half-forward after spending a lot of his career unimpressively playing in the full-forward line. Davy Murray is also getting more and more attack concious while not fouling as much anymore. Great to see Cathal Compton getting more time. He really is vital to Roscommon's cause.

With Cavan's loss to Clare, Roscommon have a great chance to get promoted now. Obviously if Cavan can't beat Clare and with Roscommon's good record against Cavan that should be a winable game. The game against Armagh next week is hard to call, but if Roscommon keep improving at the steady pace they have been in recent weeks they could get a result there.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

absolutely humiliated in the u20 today, embarasing,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

absolutely humiliated in the u20 today, embarasing,

Always very insightful Tom. Full of useful and valuable feedback.

Beaten by a much better team, nothing embarrassing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

RossieMan wrote: »
    Always very insightful Tom. Full of useful and valuable feedback.

Beaten by a much better team, nothing embarrassing about it.

The margin of victory for Galway was embarressing. Players didnt perform but were badly set up by management and looked badly coached. Its a pity as on paper it was a talented Roscommon side. Hopefully County board can get in a better management team for next year

That was a shocking performance by the U20s.

I know the conditions were atrocious, but when they had the wind in the first half some of the 'passing' to the small inside forwards was utterly abysmal. Big huge garryowens that wouldn't have been out of place on a rugby pitch. It just made no sense!

When Roscommon had the ball, the ease with which they were turned over was very disappointing. The forwards in particular were very light and totally dominated by a far more physically mature Galway side.

Once the first goal went in in the first half, I felt it was curtains, but the second one made it certain. And both goals came from cheap turnovers. I never leave a game early, but I was sorely tempted in the middle of the second half. Considering the ability of that team it was a very, very poor performance.

The only bright spot was seeing Shane Cunnane playing again. He made a big difference when he came on, even though the game was long lost. He's a serious talent.

Galway looked a very impressive outfit and I'd be interested in seeing how far they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rosknight

Such was the shambles of Saturday's game, I am beginning to think that if St. Brigid's u20 team were lined out against Galway they would not have done any worse than the team Tully put out on the pitch. It appears that he is out of his depth and is obviously not able to communicate to the players when he had them back out on the pitch early for the second half getting soaked.

• Advertisement

Just heard the shocking news that former Roscommon player Conor Connelly dropped dead this morning. Only around 43/44 agegroup. Excellent player.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Jaysus. I went to school with him!

RIP Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

SF day today and being an ex pat I have seen more club football this year than ever before. One thing I was dreading was the rambling nonsense of Willy (apologies Willy) but we do have a few lads who are well capable who keeps it simple and keeps to whats happening on the field. A young Bridets vs Boyle up first is hard to call, Bridets growing in confidence and gelling nicely just might shade it, however this depends on the fitness if Donie Smith. If Smith plays then I can see the fire power and experience of Boyle get them over the line. Clan vs Pearses will be similarly close and I have enjoyed Cathal Shines midfield brilliance over the term. Pearses loss to Tulsk was a blip they needed and no doubt hammered into their heads, there is a draw all over this one. On a side note, there is a wealth of brilliant forwards around the county who are up against some great tenacious footballing backs, if we could unearth a midfield paring, we could be a top 4 team when we get back to business fully next year.

TG4 showing the upcoming Clann na Gael - Pearses match

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Had to stop listening to the Boyle/Brigids game as Willie was absolutely fkn awful.
    Worst I've ever heard and needs to be put out to grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Rossvet wrote: »
    Had to stop listening to the Boyle/Brigids game as Willie was absolutely fkn awful.
    Worst I've ever heard and needs to be put out to grass.

Kevin Egan provided some very good commentary during the course of the championship for the games Roscommon gaa showed. Hopefully he could be approached to do more. He was miles better than Duke and Willie talks about everything bar the match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Surely they shouldn't have a full time employee doing commentary on those games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Kevin Egan provided some very good commentary during the course of the championship for the games Roscommon gaa showed. Hopefully he could be approached to do more. He was miles better than Duke and Willie talks about everything bar the match

Willie Hegarty is disgracefully bad he really is. Listeners literally have no idea if the ball is in play or not. Only starts calling the play once the ball is near the goal.

He must have nobody at the station capable telling him his weaknesses. Personal cringe moment from weekend was when he christened pearses with the nickname Muhammed Ali.

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Congrats to a very impressive St Brigids today, this could be a start of another dominant few years. 1st half was a tight ugly affair but as soon as STB got the goal Pearces were in trouble with what I thought was negative play. Oran in intermediate will be a great addition to the Senior championship next year and have some lovely natural ball players. Think we may have found a classy midfielder in Eddie Nolan and I think we are in a good place county wise with talent coming through

Advertisement