Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Doesn't say they're banned. The trails are advertised specifically for walking and cycling. There's no sign saying you can't bring a horse into a supermarket or church, but common sense you know.

I'd imagine anyone bringing a horse onto a greenway would be made most unwelcome and get stares and comments from other users. Not everyone likes being in close quarters to a large unpredictable animal.
    Wait, what? comparing greenways to churches? :confused:
    I doubt anyone would even care about seeing a horse on a greenway, it's only for about 2 seconds anyway you'd be going past the horse.

The only thing people would care about is the s--- that horses drop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's so bizarre. We need speed limiters on electric bikes and scooters because they're "dangerous", but cars? Trucks? Nah, they're totally safe. Totally.

They won't even mandate that trucks and vans that access city centres have higher visibility cab designs! Something that would save dozens of lives every year.

There are so many reasonable laws that could be enacted that would literally stop people dying, but the government won't do it because you have to balance the needs of people who drive. It's insane. I really believe we'll look back on the car-obsessed era like we look back on trepanning or some other medieval ****.

I doubt anyone would even care about seeing a horse on a greenway, it's only for about 2 seconds anyway you'd be going past the horse.

Main problem is that hard surfaces like greenways and roads are generally not great for horses as they can cause concussive injuries. People who care for their horses would want to avoid this, so would try to avoid these surfaces.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MJohnston wrote: »
    They won't even mandate that trucks and vans that access city centres have higher visibility cab designs! Something that would save dozens of lives every year.

There are so many reasonable laws that could be enacted that would literally stop people dying, but the government won't do it because you have to balance the needs of people who drive. It's insane. I really believe we'll look back on the car-obsessed era like we look back on trepanning or some other medieval ****.

Are these covered by EU regulations, or can we do as we see necessary?

Would the EU be a better place to get speed limiters for cars, and trucks? Also safer designs like the ones for higher visibility as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MJohnston wrote: »
    Main problem is that hard surfaces like greenways and roads are generally not great for horses as they can cause concussive injuries. People who care for their horses would want to avoid this, so would try to avoid these surfaces.

Doesn't seem to bother those for whom horses are part of their "culture".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doesn't seem to bother those for whom horses are part of their "culture".

Jockeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

keane2097 wrote: »
    Jockeys?

I think they're talking about the Garda Mounted Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think they're talking about the Garda Mounted Unit.

If having an anonymous cut off the 'Garda Mounted Unit' at Christmas is important enough to posters to waddle into the boards.ie Greenways thread to do it, why be coy about it? :pac:

Jesus lads, go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oddly enough I passed a couple walking along the greenway where I jog only last week.

Irish people yet an ethnic minority for some reason.

Needless to say, 30 yards on, the greenway was full of horse sh*t.

A change from the scumbags who have their dogs loose, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

A little news, it seems that the first section of the Barrow Blueway will open on Monday, the section from Ballyteague back towards Glanaree bridge, I was by both ends this morning and it's looking well.

536391.jpg

That's lock 20 in the picture.

I haven't been to the southern works recently but the county council website suggests that section may be complete by Christmas as well

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/PublicRealm/BarrowBlueway/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/news-centre/news/340/waterways-ireland-to-commence-ulster-canal-6m-programme-following-shared-ireland-fund-announcement-

Looks like phases 4 & 5 cover the greenway
    The Ulster Canal is a significant link in our waterway network and will be complemented by the Ulster Canal Greenway when it is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Hi, I've written about the two greenways in the Boyne Valley below. Any feedback is appreciated.

The Boyne Greenway: http://navancycling.ie/greenways/theboynegreenway/

The Boyne Valley to Lakelands County Greenway: http://navancycling.ie/greenways/boynevalleytolakelands/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender out for greenway construction from New Ross to Glenmore

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/180512/1/0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its a shame these schemes don't get more media attention

The country really is going leaps and bounds with cycling infrastructure, but if you don't live around the area, you don't get told of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Its a shame these schemes don't get more media attention

The country really is going leaps and bounds with cycling infrastructure, but if you don't live around the area, you don't get told of it.

There is a map in post #1 of this thread. It might help you find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There is a map in post #1 of this thread. It might help you find them.

I know i just mean generally. With all the bad new stories, stuff like cycle-tourism promotion would be a nice breather for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know i just mean generally. With all the bad new stories, stuff like cycle-tourism promotion would be a nice breather for people.

Unless you live in the same county, it's a bit pointless once inter county travel is clamped down as it will be shortly and pubs, hotels and guesthouses shut or at reduced capacity for the foreseeable future.

For me to consider it as a serious option it would need to have:

1. An actual plan with details of how much it would cost, the route, possible difficulties
    2. Support from the local community and politicans
    3. Support from the people who's land it would run through or near. I'm guessing they'll be claims for adverse possession

And finally and most importantly.

4. I'd want to see it proposed by people who are actually going to use. And not by someone who is only suggesting it to stop cycling/walking infrastructure being built somewhere else.
    This is as bad as the crappy alternative plan put forward by the Sandymount residents group for the Strand Road. But at least they went to the trouble of doing crappy drawings.

It won't be just tourists using the greenway. It will be a great amenity for locals too. Who will now have a safe way of getting around south Wexford that doesn't involve a car. Local children could be able to cycle to school.

Here is a map I made of a possible route the greenway could go along. Hopefully that link works. There are a few difficulties, such as getting the greenway into wexford town. Also where some houses have been built along the old line.

I based the route off how much of the line is still in CIE ownership(not registered on landdirect.ie) and how much of the trackbed is left. I calculated it, 83% of the New Ross-MJ section is still CIE hands or the trackbed is intact, or even both. For the sections going to Enniscorthy and Wexford it goes alongside the river Slaney/ the existing railway for most of the route but this may not be possible.

I would certainly be using this greenway of it was ever built, I am in New Ross all the time :D.

I know the plan is terrible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Here is a map I made of a possible route the greenway could go along. Hopefully that link works. There are a few difficulties, such as getting the greenway into wexford town. Also where some houses have been built along the old line.

I based the route off how much of the line is still in CIE ownership(not registered on landdirect.ie) and how much of the trackbed is left. I calculated it, 83% of the New Ross-MJ section is still CIE hands or the trackbed is intact, or even both. For the sections going to Enniscorthy and Wexford it goes alongside the river Slaney/ the existing railway for most of the route but this may not be possible.

I would certainly be using this greenway of it was ever built, I am in New Ross all the time :D.

I know the plan is terrible :D

Just had a look at this map. From Google maps, very little of the trackbed is still intact, good chunks of the line you have drawn runs right through open fields, not even a ditch left. I wouldn't take not being registered on landdirect.ie as proof it of being in CIE ownership. Even if officially it still is, the ownership would be strongly contested. I don't think this is a realistic prospect for a Greenway.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Just had a look at this map. From Google maps, very little of the trackbed is still intact, good chunks of the line you have drawn runs right through open fields, not even a ditch left. I wouldn't take not being registered on landdirect.ie as proof it of being in CIE ownership. Even if officially it still is, the ownership would be strongly contested. I don't think this is a realistic prospect for a Greenway.
    I still think this is possible for a greenway. Railways that are still in use are also not registered. The land that isn't registered follows the course of the old railway, even if it is just a field. The same thing happened in Dungarvan, the greenway goes through what used to be a field of you look on older satellite maps, it was just a field but still owned by CIE so the greenway went through it.

The other option is to go alongside the existing Waterford-Rosslare track until Campile, and then link it up to the ferry at Ballyhack, and then a route from there into Waterford.

Also, this isn't just me who has this idea, it has been mentioned multiple times by the South east on track group.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry County Council to seek planning for a Listowel to Tralee Greenway in mid 2021

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-county-councillor-calls-feasibility-study-effect-bypass-greenways-listowel/

The railway line went via Abbeydorney and Lixnaw so it will not directly follow the N69. It would also see the completion of the Rathkeale-Tralee section of rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick council are to conduct a feasibility study for a new geeeway linking the city centre with the Meelick area to the west. Not much detail yet but would likely run along the northern bank of the Shannon

A geeway? That’s sure to be popular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

New approach to attract tourists ��

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Will there be a tunnel of love?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I would also point out that lack of reporting on them nationally means I cant update the map as I wont know when something is done... :confused:

marno21 wrote: »
    Kerry County Council to seek planning for a Listowel to Tralee Greenway in mid 2021

https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-county-councillor-calls-feasibility-study-effect-bypass-greenways-listowel/

The railway line went via Abbeydorney and Lixnaw so it will not directly follow the N69. It would also see the completion of the Rathkeale-Tralee section of rail line.

I can see demand for linking Limerick in to the Rathkeale-Listowel/Tralee greenway just continuing to grow, its a no brainer to do it but route options aren't obvious if rail is planned to be put back into use (Which I do not oppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I would also point out that lack of reporting on them nationally means I cant update the map as I wont know when something is done... :confused:

Royal Canal Greenway complete Maynooth to Longford, and some of the Dublin sections

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Royal Canal Greenway complete Maynooth to Longford, and some of the Dublin sections

What I don't understand about that is why part of the greenway between Maynooth and Confey (close to Intel) has been done. It seems fairly random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Zebra3 wrote: »
    part of the greenway ... (close to Intel) has been done.
    Might this be the answer?

Advertisement