Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Dorian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will stay just offshore and weaken. But willbe Category 1 or 2. Size of the whole system quite small compared to the likes of Katrina but a lot of rain in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Strange, because I would have thought that 'pedantic accuracy' was hallmark of science. NOAA is there to collect data and inform the public and relevant authorities, not 'safegaurd them'. That is not their responsibility.

NOAA’s primary mission is to save lives. It’s actually the first line of their mission statement.

NOAA have shown to err on the side of caution when it comes to weather updates which is In keeping with that mission.

:)

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Still a serious threat with strengthening possible over the next 24 hours though not much actually expected.
    DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
    At 500 PM EDT (2100 UTC), the center of Hurricane Dorian was located
    near latitude 30.6 North, longitude 79.8 West. Dorian is moving
    toward the north-northwest near 8 mph (13 km/h). A turn to the
    north is expected tonight, followed by a turn to the north-
    northeast on Thursday and a turn toward the northeast on Thursday
    night. A northeastward motion at a faster forward speed is forecast
    on Friday. On the forecast track, the center of Dorian will
    approach the coast of South Carolina tonight, move near or over the
    coast of South Carolina on Thursday, and move near or over the coast
    of North Carolina Thursday night and Friday.

Reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft
    indicate that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 110 mph
    (175 km/h) with higher gusts. Some fluctuations in strength are
    possible tonight, followed by slow weakening Thursday through
    Friday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 70 miles (110 km) from
    the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 195
    miles (315 km). NOAA buoy 41008 near the Georgia coast recently
    reported sustained winds of 54 mph (86 km/h) and a wind gust of 60
    mph (97 km/h).

The minimum central pressure reported by the Hurricane Hunter is
    961 mb (28.38 inches).
    NHC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

star gazer wrote: »
    Still a serious threat with strengthening possible over the next 24 hours though not much actually expected.

NHC
    sdanseo wrote: »
    Latest GFS deepens the storm from c. 970mb to mid 950s as it accelerates towards Newfoundland. Likely to be a Category 3 strength extratropical cyclone if this came off.

SST values south of Virginia up to 29C then take a nosedive further North.

Alarming for Canada (and much later, us, in terms of remnants).

c14524204aa5a3831ba07fd22e4e3d1e.png

If min pressure is 961mb then it is actually strengthening again significantly faster than the GFS run I posted suggested.

ECM shows it hitting Nova Scotia at 937mb - borderline Cat 4 again. But it also thinks current pressure is closer to 940mb so probably not a great idea to pay the ECM any heed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

BumperD wrote: »
    NOAA’s primary mission is to save lives. It’s actually the first line of their mission statement.

NOAA have shown to err on the side of caution when it comes to weather updates which is In keeping with that mission.

:)

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutintro.shtml

I don't care what they say in their 'mission statement'. It is not their obligation or duty to 'save lives', but to inform the public and relevant authorities with proper scientific data - i.e, what they are paid to collect. They are a tool, that is all. We have enough self-appointed nannies in the world as it is.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I don't care what they say in their 'mission statement'. It is not their obligation or duty to 'save lives', but to inform the public and relevant authorities with proper scientific data - i.e, what they are paid to collect. They are a tool, that is all. We have enough self-appointed nannies in the world as it is.

Equally, people don't really have to care if you don't care what they state as their mission ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Eye becoming better defined again, convection building with cold cloud tops becoming more symmetric.

Pressure down to 960.3hPa

Last pass through recorded 110kt flight level winds and surface winds of 95kt , slight possibly brief intensification expected but not a significant intensification.

Hurricane force winds 50 - 60 n mi offshore North East coast of Florida.

Expected to remain in an environment of light wind shear and warm sea temps over the next 36 hrs.

Expected to move nearer the S Carolina coast in about 20 hrs and near or over the N Carolina coast in 36 to 48 hr. NHC saying Dorian should accelerate Northeastwards after that as it weakens due to Shear and dry air entertainment ( new one for me , see below ) .

NHC are pointing out as it travels so close to the SE coast any slight deviation to the left could see the center move onshore.

eTJdtLY.gif

Wikipedia: Entrainment is a phenomenon of the atmosphere which occurs when a turbulent flow captures a non-turbulent flow. It is typically used to refer to the capture of a wind flow of high moisture content, or in the case of tropical cyclones, the capture of drier air.

CQ7xNQA.png?1

KWFEBYP.png

TQhGB6V.gif

DT4HDFa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

MJohnston wrote: »
    Equally, people don't really have to care if you don't care what they state as their mission ;)

Of course not, (and I really couldn't care less if they care or not) but bollox excuses such as 'erring on the side of caution' etc to justify sloppy data is just that.. bollox, and clinging on to the sacred words 'mission statements' is just a form of an appeal to authority.

If people offering opinions on the basic mechanics of weather events and all that is behind it on a 'message board' like this are so beneath to you, what exactly are you doing on here?

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note : Oneric3 and Mjohnston this is going off topic , you have made your point now time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's doing well to keep its strength up, getting a shot in the arm from some good poleward venting which is helping keep surface pressure low. The dry air entrainment is to do with a cut-off of its moisture fuel supply due to inflow off the land instead of the sea. The closer to the coast it gets the more this becomes a factor. Ocean heat content is also much lower near the coast, and increasing shear will hopefully limit the effects further up the coast tomorrow.

It's safe to say it's been a non-event in Florida.

• Advertisement

Nice capture by GOES 16 of convection in the last of the evening sunshine with lightning in the outer bands.

Yg19WMv.gif

QmERFo7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

reports of back to 3 and heartbreaking photos on rte news

Nice morphed microwave imagery of Dorian over the past few days.look at the difference is the size of the eye.

gifsBy12hr_09.gif
    gifsBy12hr_10.gif
    gifsBy12hr_11.gif
    gifsBy12hr_12.gif
    gifsBy12hr_13.gif

The centre is approaching Buoy 41004 in the next while. Here is a live webcam image from the buoy itself, looking in different directions. Click on it to open the buoy's page.

W22A_2019_09_05_1100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any chance of Dorian and TS Gabrielle merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

irishgeo wrote: »
    Any chance of Dorian and TS Gabrielle merging.

Don’t think so. It will probably appear as a separate depression after Dorian.

The centre is approaching Buoy 41004 in the next while. Here is a live webcam image from the buoy itself, looking in different directions. Click on it to open the buoy's page.
    ]

The centre is literally passing right over Buoy 41004 right now.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41004

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

The devastation being shown on the news following Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas is frightening to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Dorian has been upgraded to a cat 3 !

• Advertisement

Flight Radar from Tues showing all air traffic steering clear of Hurricane Dorian bar NOAA42 Hurricane Hunter flying into the eye.

zMHw1ny.png

Dorian has passed right over buoy 41004 in the past couple of hours. Here are the Pressure, 1-minute &10-minute windspeeds, direction and gusts. Note how the 1-minute speeds are over 10% higher than the standard 10-minute means. This is the reason why quoted hurricane windspeeds are never as strong as the equivalent typhoon speeds or our regular speeds, which are all 10-minute, i.e. a 100-knot hurricane is about a 90-knot typhoon.

489969.png
    489970.png
    489974.png
    489973.png
    489972.png

Dorian's eye is just making landfall near Pamlico Sound, North Caronlina, now. The map shows the max gusts reported, in MPH.

490013.JPG

Troubling indicators of a much larger death toll from Bahamas than the 30 or so confirmed. It could be hundreds. Think Katrina and Mitch were in the thousands but they hit large populations. Still, proportionately, devastating for a small nation of 600k.

BumperD wrote: »
    Troubling indicators of a much larger death toll from Bahamas than the 30 or so confirmed. It could be hundreds. Think Katrina and Mitch were in the thousands but they hit large populations. Still, proportionately, devastating for a small nation of 600k.

It will sadly be much greater than 30. Maria and Puerto Rico are probably a good comparison

Josh Morgerman (iCyclone) said it was the worst storm he's been in in 28 years of chasing the eyes of the world's most ferocious hurricanes and typhoons. And he was only on Abaco Island. Who knows how bad Grand Bahama was...

On the other hand, the US got off very lightly, with mainly gale force winds and the odd hurricane gust on extreme outer banks. Next eyes on Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, who'll get the extratropical storm bang in the face tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Josh Morgerman (iCyclone) said it was the worst storm he's been in in 28 years of chasing the eyes of the world's most ferocious hurricanes and typhoons. And he was only on Abaco Island. Who knows how bad Grand Bahama was...

On the other hand, the US got off very lightly, with mainly gale force winds and the odd hurricane gust on extreme outer banks. Next eyes on Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, who'll get the extratropical storm bang in the face tomorrow.
    What will Ireland get?

irishgeo wrote: »
    What will Ireland get?

Nothing. It will have dissipated well before us.

The latest discussion shows that Dorian is not going out without a fight, although since this was published the storm looks a complete mess structure-wise.
    There has been a significant change to the intensity forecast philosophy. The GFS and ECMWF, which have been forecasting Dorian to transition to a powerful extratropical low, now forecast intensification of the system due to baroclinic processes associated with the aforementioned trough, including very strong upper-level divergence. Given that Dorian is currently a well-organized hurricane and will be south of the Gulf Stream for about the next 18-24 h, it is likely that at least some of this strengthening will occur before Dorian becomes extratropical. The new intensity forecast now calls for Dorian to strengthen as a hurricane during the next 12-24 h, then undergo extratropical transition as it is passing near or over Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The intensities in the new forecast are increased during the first 24 h to reflect this change. Dorian is likely to be a hurricane at landfall in Nova Scotia, but it will cause significant impacts even if it has completed extratropical transition by that time.

Key Messages:

1. Life-threatening storm surge and dangerous winds will continue along portions of the North Carolina coast for the next several hours.
    2. Regardless of whether Dorian is a hurricane or a post-tropical cyclone, Dorian is expected to have a significant impact in portions of eastern Canada. Dangerous storm surge impacts are likely in portions of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, southwestern Newfoundland and eastern Nova Scotia this weekend. Hurricane-force winds are also likely in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and possibly Newfoundland Saturday and Sunday. Refer to information from the Canadian Hurricane Centre for more information on these hazards.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 06/2100Z 36.9N 72.7W 80 KT 90 MPH
    12H 07/0600Z 39.1N 69.5W 85 KT 100 MPH
    24H 07/1800Z 42.9N 65.3W 85 KT 100 MPH
    36H 08/0600Z 47.1N 61.6W 70 KT 80 MPH
    48H 08/1800Z 50.6N 57.8W 60 KT 70 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    72H 09/1800Z 55.5N 45.0W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
    96H 10/1800Z...DISSIPATED

20190906.2123.f17.x.composite.08LGABRIELLE.40kts-1003mb-274N-391W.059pc.jpg

MJohnston wrote: »
    It will sadly be much greater than 30. Maria and Puerto Rico are probably a good comparison

MJ you seem, if I can say this, a very decent person. So too Gaoith who have technical knowledge I will never have and the others here who post here.

I had the misfortune of enjoying a hurricane before, Cat 4/5. Ivan. It was horrific.

What those poor people endured in the Bahamas you will never know. I went to my local grocery last night to buy milk and they were collecting cash at the till for Red Cross and I left what I had and more. I am not poor but will give plenty.

From my own experience, I did not sleep a full night for 7 months afterwards Ivan . I gave up work for 6 months as I couldn’t. My wife[ Mod Snip] for 2 months. In 2004 it was a hurricane. Today it’s ptsd. I apologize. I do not post on weather forum but in hurricane season for a reason. Those poor people in the Bahamas have it all ahead of them. I know that is a very depressing post but I’m being honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah, kids who went through Maria in Puerto Rico have been quite severely affected by PTSD from it. And Maria passed over PR relatively quickly.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hurricane-marias-legacy-thousands-of-puerto-rican-students-show-ptsd-symptoms

Dorian battered the Bahamas for *days* which will leave horrible psychological effects long after the devastating physical effects have been repaired.

Advertisement