Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Real glass half empty stuff.
    Not at all - glass is half full for me. Sportive season started in March but for some unknown reason, so many people wait until June before doing their first one. It's always a very long summer for me and I'm at the half way point now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Not at all - glass is half full for me. Sportive season started in March but for some unknown reason, so many people wait until June before doing their first one. It's always a very long summer for me and I'm at the half way point now. :pac:

Is it just me, or does the number of people cycling drastically rise during the summer months? Not just talking about commuters here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We're nearly half way through it! The days get shorter again in just over a week's time.
    on a brighter (boom boom!) note, it's 17 days before the evenings start to shorten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

We're nearly half way through it! The days get shorter again in just over a week's time.

Not noticeable in June or conversely in December.

Day length varies from one day to another between a couple of secs and a minute at max.

In March/September it can be closer to 4mins daily change.

Very similar to tides (Law of 12ths) or a pendulum's motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

2052 so far - aiming for 5K - oddly i always drop off in June and July so can't let that happen this year. Would love a commute longer than 4km to bump it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Would love a commute longer than 4km to bump it up

You don’t have to take the most direct route...leave earlier and do a 20 or 25k route? What’s stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You don’t have to take the most direct route...leave earlier and do a 20 or 25k route? What’s stopping you?

live in D7, work in D2.... either way I go I'm on busy roads

few laps of the park probably the best option...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    live in D7, work in D2.... either way I go I'm on busy roads

few laps of the park probably the best option...

Used to live in D7, that's precisely what I used to do. 2 loops is about 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭billyhead

My goals were going well up unti about a month ago where a change in job meant the commute by bike which was 13km each way was finished due to safety more then distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ratracer

I just knew I shouldn’t have bothered reading this thread.....it just confirms I’m a lazy bawlaxe!!

Only 1250km done this year, I’ll be lucky to get 3k done I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

ratracer wrote: »
    I just knew I shouldn’t have bothered reading this thread.....it just confirms I’m a lazy bawlaxe!!

Only 1250km done this year, I’ll be lucky to get 3k done I’d say.

Look at it this way, t's 1250km more than a lot of people:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

2300km done of a 6500km target

670km behind according to strava

Only managing to get out twice a week, need to up that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm 400kms ahead, compared to last year, so barring accidents, I Should get to 15,000kms again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Slightly north of 1,700km, aiming for between 4k and 4.5k. Heading away in a week so won't be adding much til mid July. Had an appalling May & June last year due to illness, much better this year thankfully. And we're not even half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,458 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get back on the bike...

1. Over 5,000km for the year, 6,000+ would be nice
    2. Over 50,000m climbing edit: 75,000m, 50k m is actually going to be easy to achieve
    3. Sign up for multiple events (already done 1 with 5 more upcoming)
    4. Lose 8.5kg to get to 75kg, already down 3.5kg in Jan :)
    5. Do a couple of half marathons at some point
    6. Buy a elec shifting, disc braking Canyon as a present to myself
    7. Break at least half a dozen of my 2013 Strava PBs to prove I'm back to where I was back then
    8. Try and get to 80km Eddington

1 2,923km done
    2 37,800 done
    3 Done
    4 Holidays have been cruel, 6.8kg to go now
    5 Meh... edit: I have actually done 1 already
    6 Still on the cards
    7 Completely smashed this already, 50+
    8 10 more 80km+ required

Pretty good overall I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My racing season - crap
    My weight loss - little to none
    My km goals - 1500km behind a goal of 10km for the year.

I've had an unlucky year, shoulder injury with illness thrown in and now a bacterial infection which may need 2 weeks off the bike.

2018, you ain't been good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Target was 5000km for the year, and currently on track at 3434 outdoor kilometres, which has actually surprised me. 60 plus turbo hours on top.

Training probably hasn't been as focused, which is probably reflected in the numbers. More just riding, maybe less training, particularly with the weather better in recent weeks. Power meter on the way which I part of the justification is to allow me do a bit more focussed work outside. I'm always learning - next year I'll plan better for the holiday.

Plan was to do the club leagues, with a plan to open race next year. Upgraded my licence to try and fit in a few open races this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lemming wrote: »
    Keeping it simple so less chance of over-reaching. Anything above that is a bonus.
    1. Compete in the Steel City DH 2018 race
    2. Do one XC race for 2018
    3. Do one Enduro race for 2018
    4. Have a go at either Bike Park Wales or Fort William in Scotland.

Missed the steel city DH bookings by 15 mins (that's how popular it is ... ) so got to wait now for 2019. Took my eye off the ball for the XC midlands series for this year so a bit late now unless I get lucky with entry/dates for any upcoming races left.

So negatives out of the way, I've done an enduro race, and there's still time yet for either BPW or Fort William; aiming for September unless a chance presents itself in July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

final cycle of the first half of the year this morning; took me up to 2,425km. was hoping to hit 2.5k, aiming for 5k for the year, but i'd usually rack up more in the second half of the year than the first half so pretty much on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    My racing season - crap
    My weight loss - little to none
    My km goals - 1500km behind a goal of 10km for the year.

I've had an unlucky year, shoulder injury with illness thrown in and now a bacterial infection which may need 2 weeks off the bike.

2018, you ain't been good so far.

Edit: 6 weeks off the bike for a total of 9 weeks this calender year.

Should be ready to roll again 19th July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Mods can you please fix the title? My goal of not being offended by poor grammar amd random capital letters mid sentence is taking a hammering!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Mods can you please fix the title? My goal of not being offended by poor grammar amd random capital letters mid sentence is taking a hammering!

amd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    amd?

Fat fingers! That's allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Another goal achieved yesterday. Moved from A4 to A3. Won the Brian McNamara A4 race in Galway which gave me 8 points and this got added to the 6 I got for coming 3rd in the Donamon GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

delynet wrote: »
    Another goal achieved yesterday. Moved from A4 to A3. Won the Brian McNamara A4 race in Galway which gave me 8 points and this got added to the 6 I got for coming 3rd in the Donamon GP

That’s 14 points , you only need 13 ... can I please have the extra one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

If I could give it to this man I would

https://uptheroad.ie/2018/07/27/running-out-of-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

delynet wrote: »
    If I could give it to this man I would

https://uptheroad.ie/2018/07/27/running-out-of-road/

Sound , thanks 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Gerry

Miles off my goal. Almost at 1600 and should be 3000. So at best I've stayed the same whereas I had targetted a further step The work commute never kicked in as the hours have been too crazy and a lot of other things have curtailed weekend spins. On the positive side - was delighted with the Mick Byrne 200, one of the best days on the bike. Also did get a lend of an enduro bike and did two races. Got away with a few crashes. Hoping to do better at Carrick. On the xc side have done nothing since the blitz, trying to get some training in before the Cooley now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Been off the bike nearly 4 years, so mine was to get the bike serviced and get back out and maybe get 20 or so spins in(been having serious trouble motivating myself).

Then the hot weather arrived, and managed to get 16 spins done totally to 800kms. So naturally looking at new bikes now, to the amusement of my partner

• Advertisement

just shy of 3k, bit frustrated with the last day or two because my few windows for getting out were eaten up on me or the weather was lashing out of it.

Advertisement