Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Curdih wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a game with hoverboards from 2000s that was like a virtual world and it had a boardwalk? Think it began with a V

Airblade?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirBlade

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Subnautica is fantastic, and i'm not even the biggest fan of survival games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Parsnips wrote: »
    My time in portia is excellent but it goes on forever and inevitably gets boring after a good while.

So, like Animal Crossing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Curdih wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a game with hoverboards from 2000s that was like a virtual world and it had a boardwalk? Think it began with a V

Trickstyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Kiith wrote: »
    Subnautica is fantastic, and i'm not even the biggest fan of survival games.

Have you tried Breathedge? Like Subnautica in space with an added dose of comedy. It's on steam early access, due out q1 2021. I've about 20 hours put into it and really enjoyed it.

I loved the early parts of subnautica, figuring things out and gradually getting to go further away from home. Breathedge really captured that same feel for me. I'm still nowhere near finished it but looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really enjoyed my time with Subnautica, but the constant need to eat/drink multiple times a day is putting me off further exploration. There is an option to remove the need to eat/drink but that also removes the ability to die to takes away too much. Would have liked an inbetween tbh.

But, it's the longest I've played a survival game, and is an amazing world to explore. The story seems pretty good too, because there is one, unlike most survival games (Stranded Deep for example) which just start and off you go. I have it downloaded on the 5 but with so much to play I haven't tried it yet. Would be unreal in VR i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Curdih

No it was like an online game with like hoverboards or surfboards where you could chat and text people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So...after much discussion....did anyone even watch RTEs dismal games show?

I picked through it and...its...ok....I guess. Rundown is:

-review of Nickelodeon Karts 2....not exactly GOTY contender but having it be a kid focused show really hamstrings the games they can review
    -interview with Brenda Romero by two under 10 kids, most irritating part is they had this distracting Pacman graphic playing at the bottom
    -some kid gives an overview of Minecraft
    -Streamer Corner, where they interview a random streamer
    -a VS between some kid host and an Irish NASA scientist, kid keeps commenting throughout rather than someone else doing it, fecking annoying

The core concept of a half decent show is there: a review (could have shortened it down to fit two or three in, but again the age rating they are going for carves a large chunk of new releases away), interview with someone from the games industry in Ireland (gonna run out of guests quickly so), a streamer/Youtuber interview (not everyones cup of tea, but its a huge part of gaming nowadays), rundown of one of their "big 8 games" (fair enough, but Epi 2 has Roblox featured) and the VS competition (it worked for lots of games shows over the decades, and was pretty much all Go 8 Bit was about). But dear god the hosts....granted, some are kids n all but its bargain bin, home-made Youtube channel rough.

But I guess it was just a throwaway show to try "capture de vidya gaems audience" in the eyes of some high up RTE producer. They dont seem to grasp games at all: they mark TLoU2 as the "quintessential game" in their games of 2020.....but cant ever feature it in their brand new games show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RTE made another a good few years ago. Came on here to ask what people wanted in a show and get opinions. Looked to be like they were looking for ideas.

Turned out that they had the show all planned and pretty deep in production so when the response was basically we want something that is the complete opposite of what you are doing came back they pretty much attacked the posters here. Turns out one of the presenters was posting.

Show turned out to be a complete flop in the end but it's that network mentality that needs to change.

The big problem is the hosts. You need to get a dork on there
    with personality that is actually into games and not someone that can actually present but plays the odd triple A game and fifa.

If you look at all the successful shows they had this. Dominic Diamond wasn't massively into games but was surrounded by support who were. Bad influence had actual games journalists hosting. Arino on game centre cx grew up inhaling famicom games. Even channel 4s bits that picked it's hosts mostly on T&A had two of the girls plucked from games journalism and bouffe was a big videogame hobbiest. RTE on the other hand would probabyl be trying to groom another lucy kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You need to get a dork on there
    with personality that is actually into games and not someone that can actually present but plays the odd triple A game and fifa.

Hmmm. I kinda fit that bill, but there's also a plus! I've a beard.

Seriously though, it can't be that hard to find a good presenter for a games show. If you can't afford Dara O'Briain, I've no doubt there are other popular Irish personalities that game, wouldn't be that hard to find.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. I kinda fit that bill, but there's also a plus! I've a beard.

Seriously though, it can't be that hard to find a good presenter for a games show. If you can't afford Dara O'Briain, I've no doubt there are other popular Irish personalities that game, wouldn't be that hard to find.

Obviously not an option but I'm picturing the uptake of a gaming show if Henry Cavill presented one.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I was looking around twitch and accidently won a key for an "early access game" off a streamer who liked my user name or something.

Anyway unlikely to play it myself so if anyone wants a key for "CLone Drone in the Danger Zone" hit me up with a message and I will send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pearce is giving a friendly reminder that the online video game community is a small minority and that most gamers aren't really up to speed with the industry shenanigans. In conclusion The Last of Us part 2 is loved by most people who bought it.

Well duh.

I imagine if I asked my brother (who plays COD and Fifa almost exclusively aside from the big blockbusters like TLOU2 and Cyberpunk) if CDPR's work practices will dissuade him from buying Cyberpunk he would rightly look at me like I have two heads.

Twitter screaming isn't real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's not the worst thing ever but it's kind of close

It's the most disappointing game this year and was a colossal waste of my time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Twitter screaming is a pox upon humanity, but that's not to say it ain't worthwhile to have discussions about the nature of the industry, or occasionally hold the corporations' feet under the fire now and again. If that's not important to you personally, then cool. No judgement here if it doesn't bother ye; but no more than the "minority" agitating about the clothing industry, or Big Pharma, the games industry is a monolith worth examining from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It had major issues in terms of pacing and I think it's kind of the end of the road for Naughty Dog style of gameplay but I still enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Going to probably pick up the season pass for Control and Death Stranding in the PS sale for playing over the Christmas break and I was scrolling through to see what else is on sale. What I'll never understand is the Prototype games getting the remaster treatment for the PS4 - why did they bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,141 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Going to probably pick up the season pass for Control and Death Stranding in the PS sale for playing over the Christmas break and I was scrolling through to see what else is on sale. What I'll never understand is the Prototype games getting the remaster treatment for the PS4 - why did they bother?

A cheap way to see if there was a possibly interest in a sequel? If there is limited interest in a remaster, another sequel isn't going to get made.

I would guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean, of course the internet 'Discourse' (capital 'd') is rarely representative of either popular perception or conversation. It was only a loud minority of people freaking out about TLOU2 in the general scheme of things. I shudder to think anyone could think otherwise.

Equally, the popular reaction don't come close to representing everything happening in the culture or medium - and I mean the good stuff, not just the toxic Metacritic bull****. Put a bunch of games together on something like The Golden Joysticks and the most popular games will almost inevitably win in a public vote. It's a process divorced from the actual quality or lack thereof of the games in question, because ultimately substantially fewer people played, say, If Found or Signs of the Sojourner than played TLOU2. If most people only played one or two games on a list of 10, you can't expect a thoroughly-considered result. You can't put a 10 million seller up against a 50,000 seller in a public vote and expect a fair result there.

There's value in 'popular votes' to give us an idea of what most people actually think beyond the sometimes self-delusional bubbles of gamer circles. But I think it would also be a failure for the likes of critics, podcasters or YouTubers to just go along with popular consensus when it comes to something like a GOTY list. Hell, I'm none of those things, and I've played enough games this year to know TLOU2 wasn't up there with the best of them by my own standards - not by a long shot.

There's a fine balance to be achieved - not dismissing something popular immediately out of stubborn elitism, but also to be willing to say 'I truly think *these games* are genuinely better' when that's what you believe. Not everyone saying 'TLOU2 is bad, actually' is doing it out of a place of ignorance, elitism or (heaven forbid) bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Game awards have been a joke for a long time now. I haven't played TLOU2 (hate the gameplay, characters and platform) but I knew it was going to win awards left and right. That kinda stuff always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How do you hate a platform?

I really struggled through TLoU2. Gameplay was a lot better than the original but I couldn't empathize with Ellie at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A Barcode Battler killed my granddad :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My family were all treated for smoke inhalation following a Game Gear related fire back in ‘96. I break out in a sweat every time I see six AA batteries together ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Business practices, censorship campaigns, abandoned their Japanese origins and the direction of their consoles. Make no mistake though I don't single them out; I boycott Microsoft for various reasons which most are not even primarily gaming related.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1. Who is saying it isn't?

Often, this very thread and forum TBH, when discussions take up something topical to the industry beyond the ones and zeros. Eventually some folks will scream "stop with the politics" or something along those lines. Fair point about the specific re. TLOU2 mind, but industry chat gets a big allergic reaction and gamers can seem aggressively against criticism or analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I really enjoyed my time with Subnautica, but the constant need to eat/drink multiple times a day is putting me off further exploration. There is an option to remove the need to eat/drink but that also removes the ability to die to takes away too much. Would have liked an inbetween tbh.

Just booted it up and there's 4 modes
    1- survival - scavenge, manage hunger and thirst
    2 - freedom - like survival without hunger and thirst
    3 - hardcore - survival but you have only one life
    4 - creative - no hunger, thirst, death or story.

So is Freedom the mode you're looking for? Maybe that was added after release?

Advertisement