Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Gamesmaster was for kids, and people remember it fondly because they were kids when they watched it. I'm not sure it's necessarily wildly better than more recent content, though it did benefit from strong presenters. The thing is, at that time, that age group was the primary market for games. There are of course still many games for kids and stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite are huge for that reason and there's still plenty of room for games shows for kids. But to a large extent the industry has grown up over the last couple of decades, while the perception of it from TV shows hasn't.

VideoGaiden was excellent by the way, good call on that, I'd forgotten they'd done that show for BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I remember watching Gamepad on Bravo, although Violet Berlin's chest was probably half the appeal for 13/14 year old me back then.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I remember watching Gamepad on Bravo, although Violet Berlin's chest was probably half the appeal for 13/14 year old me back then.

The Noughties equivalent of Gamer Girllls on Twitch now.

Hardly any gaming going on just low cut tops and inane waffle. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The challenges in gamesmaster were pretty rubbish. Honestly I was just there to see the games bit watching some kid play a game they never played up to that point wasn't the best way of showing them off.

I did buy a lot of games based on what I saw on those shows..I was blown away when I saw rocket knight adventures in the megadrive on movies games and videos and it became by second favourite megadrive game of all time. Same with gunstar heroes which I initially thought was a super nintendo game because it looked so good. Saw that get an insane review on gamesmaster and turned out to be the best megadrive game ever and I'll fight anyone that disagrees. There's definitely a market for a good videogame show it's just it needs a bit of a radical show format that tv execs would be a bit iffy to take a risk on.

I honestly think game centre cx format could work as a nostalgia show. Get someone family friend on there like Dara o'brien. I found go 8bit a waste of his talent. Even more so for Ellie Gibson who deserves a better platform, she is one of the funniest videogame writers out there and came across great on eurogamer. Could see her easily hosting a show on vidoegames.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Lads what was the gaming show with Violet Berlin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Didn't Sky have a gaming show in the mid-2000s? It had 2 guests playing against each other every week, the only games I remember from that were Mario Kart Double Dash and Project Gotham Racing.

I don't think they ever got around to playing GT. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I've been listening to some Grand Theft Auto soundtracks (Vice City and IV) lately, some damn great tunes on the radio stations in those games.

I dip into IV the odd time and I mostly tune into Liberty Rock Radio, Radio Broker, and Vladivostok FM.

I'm going to go cruising in Vice City later while tuning into V-Rock, Wave 103 and Emotion 98.3.

Not a huge fan of the tunes in V.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hey_Listen wrote: »

I wonder will they have any footage of 16 year old Paddybongripper69 calling people racist obscenities and threatening to rape their mothers after losing 1v1s on shipment.

It'd make for good googlebox content anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem with a modern show, as noted, is that it's all available online now anyway, and a tv show wouldn't have anything new to show, because it would already have been leaked or shown online. When we were young and GamesMaster and the other shows were out, it was during a time where internet access was still limited, so was possibly the only source of information outside of magazines, and seeing a game in action is better than seeing screenshots in a magazine.

But I agree also that it shouldn't be aimed solely at kids, because a: the average age of a gamer now is mid-30's, and b: it results in a lot of games not allowed to be shown because of age ratings. I think there's definitely a market for a good, comedy driven competition/review panel type show. I would be behind Dara hosting it, as he's a genuine gamer with a genuine interest in it, but he will need a good team behind him and bosses/producers that know about the medium, otherwise it's just setting itself up to fail.

No issue with a game show aimed at kids though, but I can't see it lasting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I've been listening to some Grand Theft Auto soundtracks (Vice City and IV) lately, some damn great tunes on the radio stations in those games.

I dip into IV the odd time and I mostly tune into Liberty Rock Radio, Radio Broker, and Vladivostok FM.

I'm going to go cruising in Vice City later while tuning into V-Rock, Wave 103 and Emotion 98.3.

Not a huge fan of the tunes in V.

Westcoast Classics and Radio Los Santos I find are good. I can't remember the talk show radio name in V but it is pretty funny. One of them is a black guy with a funny voice and his father left him when he was a child and is in jail and rings up his talk show it's pretty funny I think anyway.

• Advertisement

Anyone play The Cave. I found it excellent, funny too at times. I just finished it. I must have got it free with games with gold a few years ago as I was going through my games and seen it so I said I would play it and I am glad I did as it is good. Sega logo comes up when booting the game. It is a 2.5d platformer with tasks to do. You have to play it a few times to get the most out of it as there are 7 characters with only 3 playable at a time and each has a special area that you can only enter as them and then common areas also. Really good game that I had never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My niece's might be getting a switch off santa so I'm looking at a game for them. Is Animal crossing still the rage? Any recommendations for 10 years olds? Been a long time since i was a Nintendo gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Animal crossing and mario kart. Can't go wrong. Also super mario bros U.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't go wrong with Mario; Mario Odyssey is also super fun and should be enjoyable for a 10 year old. IIRC mario brother Wii is also available on the switch. Maybe the Splatoon games?

Excellent, it's between Odyssey and Mario kart so, thanks!

Edit: actually animal crossing and Mario bros U as well :)

Considering who it is for animal crossing is probably the winner here.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Considering who it is for animal crossing is probably the winner here.

Yeah, that's the first thing i thought of, would be right up their street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Actually, what other switch games would be in the vein of Animal Crossing. Would something like Two Point Hospital appeal to an Anomaly Crossing fan.

Stardew valley maybe?

Yooka-Laylee is very good if they never played it not a Nintendo exclusive but if it's their only console then they may have never played it.

Then there is the second one not a 3d platformer like the above but still a fun game it is a 2.5d platformer called Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. The only impossible bit is the very last level but there is tonnes to do before you even get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Actually, what other switch games would be in the vein of Animal Crossing. Would something like Two Point Hospital appeal to an Anomaly Crossing fan.

My Mrs says My Time at Portia scratches the Animal Crossing itch, though it takes a few cues from Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    My Mrs says My Time at Portia scratches the Animal Crossing itch, though it takes a few cues from Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley as well.

My time in portia is excellent but it goes on forever and inevitably gets boring after a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Am I going mad or have all the graphics cards vanished?

I'm not talking about RTX 3080s, even GTX 1660s seem to be sold out most places, or prices gone up by 50 quid compared to 2 months ago.
    Same with anything else around the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ A few builds I was prototyping on pacpartpicker are compromised right now. Tons of parts just missing price data unless I switch to the USA. I honestly give up. I'll build a new computer in 2021 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MOH wrote: »
    Am I going mad or have all the graphics cards vanished?

I'm not talking about RTX 3080s, even GTX 1660s seem to be sold out most places, or prices gone up by 50 quid compared to 2 months ago.
    Same with anything else around the same level.

Bitcoin is almost back to hitting its all-time high so maybe they are being bought up again by the farms?

Pc gaming becoming a lot more popular now as well because of streamers playing a lot of indie games not on console and mods.

Retro, you and a few others raved about Subnautica and I'm on the verge of buying it but I can't see how it will be very interesting swimming around and scavenging. I like Survive 'em ups but usually lack story to keep me engaged where as this one is supposed to have a good story. Any other games it compares to?

Edit: Just gonna go for it, last one left in my local argos.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Retro, you and a few others raved about Subnautica and I'm on the verge of buying it but I can't see how it will be very interesting swimming around and scavenging. I like Survive 'em ups but usually lack story to keep me engaged where as this one is supposed to have a good story. Any other games it compares to?

Edit: Just gonna go for it, last one left in my local argos.

The way you are talking about it now you will love it. It's basically the only survival game I've gotten into because of the story. And the environment is amazing to explore. It's also surprisingly scary as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The way you are talking about it now you will love it. It's basically the only survival game I've gotten into because of the story. And the environment is amazing to explore. It's also surprisingly scary as well.

Nice, looking forward to give this a lash now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Curdih

Does anyone remember a game with hoverboards from 2000s that was like a virtual world and it had a boardwalk? Think it began with a V

Advertisement