Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whoop whoop, I picked up a cast iron skillet in store!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats peoples opinions on fresh fish vs. frozen? You always hear people say there is nothing like fresh fish compared to frozen, is that an exaggeration or is there something in it, i.e. does fresh fish degrade a lot more than red meat if you freeze it?

Reason I ask is Ive been trying to get more fish into myself. Earlier this year I designated every Friday as fish day (back to my childhood ha). For a couple of months I was always having some frozen fish from the airfryer but invariably that comes breaded and I think with the amount of breading on it you're only convincing yourself you are eating healthy whereas its probably about 50/50 breading to fish.

So over the summer I moved onto fresh fish only, always bought it on the Friday in Aldi and cooked it within an hour of getting it home. I cook it with the steam function on the Instant Pot and it comes out great. But now Im getting a bit tired of the same old cod/coley/haddock rotation and would like to try out some other species. Came across this site www.eatmorefish.ie which has an unbelievable range of choice and loads of stuff Id like to try for the first time. But with delivery costs you would want to be stocking up at least 50 or 60 euros worth which would then mean freezing the bulk of all that fresh fish. I think I'll give it a punt anyway but just wondering how much of a drop off in flavour from fresh fish is there to frozen?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think it depends on the fish. While you can freeze mackerel, it definitely suffers in the process. I don't think fleshier/less fatty fish are affected to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I freeze fresh fish all the time with no noticeable deterioration in quality.

As OscarBravo says, very oily fish won't fare quite as well but that's not an issue for me as I don't eat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats peoples opinions on fresh fish vs. frozen? You always hear people say there is nothing like fresh fish compared to frozen, is that an exaggeration or is there something in it, i.e. does fresh fish degrade a lot more than red meat if you freeze it?

Reason I ask is Ive been trying to get more fish into myself. Earlier this year I designated every Friday as fish day (back to my childhood ha). For a couple of months I was always having some frozen fish from the airfryer but invariably that comes breaded and I think with the amount of breading on it you're only convincing yourself you are eating healthy whereas its probably about 50/50 breading to fish.

So over the summer I moved onto fresh fish only, always bought it on the Friday in Aldi and cooked it within an hour of getting it home. I cook it with the steam function on the Instant Pot and it comes out great. But now Im getting a bit tired of the same old cod/coley/haddock rotation and would like to try out some other species. Came across this site www.eatmorefish.ie which has an unbelievable range of choice and loads of stuff Id like to try for the first time. But with delivery costs you would want to be stocking up at least 50 or 60 euros worth which would then mean freezing the bulk of all that fresh fish. I think I'll give it a punt anyway but just wondering how much of a drop off in flavour from fresh fish is there to frozen?

Great website, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Freeze away.
    As said, mackerel is the only fish I've come across that doesn't freeze well.
    Just make sure it's well wrapped and airtight.

Great website, thanks! :)

yeah it seems really good and the variety is excellent. My nearest fishmonger is a 30km round trip so its not really viable unless Im in the area anyway. But that site has way more variety than your typical fishmongers so reckon I'll put in an order to try it out soon.

Anyway thanks for the advice on freezing, will avoid mackeral and other oily fish in doing so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lidl has cast iron cookware, too. https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kitchen-heaven/c1284/w1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Currently hungry due to having watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ. What a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Currently hungry due to having watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ. What a character.

Neighbours are acting the bollix so I just watched it.
    Such a lovely woman!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Neighbours are acting the bollix so I just watched it.
    Such a lovely woman!

Delighted she found happiness is more recent years, after some hard times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone changed their cooker hood recently? We've a ~7 year old, awful, Whirlpool that still uses disposable filters (the harder to find stiff 'paper' ones).

I'd far prefer the ease - and no waste - of the metal ones but I've never actually used one so don't know how good they actually are. Something keeps nagging me that it'd be less efficient despite it seeming like it should be vastly more efficient.

Current one seems to be 340m^3/h; I'd presume the extract rate is with the filter in place so a 620m^3/h metal one is going to be vastly superior.

What time/channel is this on?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What time/channel is this on?

Netflix.

Dough Bros pizza kit is back on sale and I have one ordered already. That's dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Dough Bros pizza kit is back on sale and I have one ordered already. That's dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday sorted!

They are a great bunch of lads. They're pizza with a few pints in o'connels is a good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Food & Wine Magazine will be returning...

"We're delighted to tell you that FOOD&WINE Magazine will finally be available as a free monthly magazine with The Business Post and on businesspost.ie on Sunday, October 4th. Going forward, the magazine will be available on the first Sunday of every month, offering readers and subscribers an unrivalled package to include recipes, features, travel and news from the industry."

I think this means the first one will be free with the business post on Sunday, but after that it's a usual monthly magazine?

https://foodandwine.ie/news/food-and-wine-magazine?utm_source=F%26W&utm_campaign=a4d2961332-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_11_04_06_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c1c29837d4-a4d2961332-66542933

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My reading is that it'll be free ever month on that Sunday. The SBP already has a monthly tech mag; the Irish Times has a monthly fashion and quarterly interiors mag etc - common enough value added setup for weekend papers which are often the only issues that make money anymore!

In a ridiculous enough thing when I think about it; I only recently realised that the IKEA glass food containers I considered to be solely for freezing food are actually freezer to oven safe. Life making double batches of pies, lasanges and pasta bakes has suddenly got a lot easier and a lot less messy. Only had them, oh, eight years maybe!

In fairness I doubt many people would have known that about Ikeas glass pie/lasagna dishes being freezer to oven safe, I certainly didnt. Its a feature I would only associate with Pyrex who shout about it from the rooftops whereas Ikea tend to tell you these things by using unintelligible symbols on the packaging.

Sometimes they have signage in store explaining what the symbols mean but if you leave without knowing then the symbol on the packing will rarely be intuitive in my experience. Was only up there the other day seeking an induction non stick pan and between the packaging symbols for induction, gas, electric and ceramic only the gas symbol was intuitive. I suppose its the result of selling the same products across 40+ countries and perhaps 30 odd languages but they could make the symbols bigger and more detailed rather than just being just some unintelligible squiggle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Am I the only one who hates chocolate? Doesn't matter if it's white, milk, or dark. It all taste like **** to me personally.

I prefer sour sweets like Haribo Gummy worms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Plenty of people don't like chocolate or have a sweet tooth, nothing unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Am I the only one who hates chocolate? Doesn't matter if it's white, milk, or dark. It all taste like **** to me personally.

I prefer sour sweets like Haribo Gummy worms.

The way you have worded your post makes a discussion impossible? Try a gentler more open approach. Without the ******* maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I put some uncooked prawn crackers in the microwave and they are surprisingly OK, they do not puff up as much and do not melt in the mouth but still way better than I imagined they would be. If dipping in sauce it could even be preferable to some as they would hold up well.

Surprised I never heard of it before. These are usually deep fried and too much hassle for me.

In the video he burns one cooking it on its own, and finds it better with a bowl added in. 1 on its own means too much power is going in, and the bowl will absorb some of the energy as it heats instead. I did mine for about 30seconds with no plate at all. I usually add a glass of water to reduce the power of a microwave if doing small items, but I think it is an advantage in this case to have high power. My crackers were small, you could just break up large ones.

I coated some in oil to see if they would get bigger and be more like normal ones but it did not make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

papadoms can be microwave, too.
    Or done over a gas flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

papadoms can be microwave, too.
    Yeah you just rub them with a bit of oil (maybe that could be done with the prawn crackers?). Years ago I used to do them all the time. Could never find the brand that I used and any ones that I've tried since haven't been great.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah you just rub them with a bit of oil (maybe that could be done with the prawn crackers?). Years ago I used to do them all the time. Could never find the brand that I used and any ones that I've tried since haven't been great.

You can buy them pre-puffed in Lidl and they're lovely.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You can buy them pre-puffed in Lidl and they're lovely.

I get the Aldi Papadums. I think they're the best of the shop bought ones and they are ridiculously cheap compared to others. Less than a euro compared to up to €3 in M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have just been deep in the freezer, with a small torch, preparatory to starting my fortnightly shopping list.. Amazing what is in there!

WHY do they not have a light in freezers as they do in fridges? Or maybe newer ones do? This one was second hand 15 years ago.. Works well though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised we are all still alive after seeing this old photo on Facebook

72282725_10216433041801799_6857897456890281984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FCxEBHnUM1YAX-Zf_vQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=f8f5c0203162b4afdec36dc8a424ef85&oe=5FA81B69

• Advertisement

That’s mental.

Advertisement