Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 175 route......Information please?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I plan on getting this around 12:30 to get to Dundrum, will report back (if anyone cares)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Bear in mind that that will mostly occur very early, before traffic really starts building up. Donnybrook manages to get buses out to Palmerstown light in the morning for example so no reason why the 175 can't.

Out of interest, what terminus does it use in UCD? Is it the expresso hub or is it the old 11B terminus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

john boye wrote: »
    Bear in mind that that will mostly occur very early, before traffic really starts building up. Donnybrook manages to get buses out to Palmerstown light in the morning for example so no reason why the 175 can't.

Out of interest, what terminus does it use in UCD? Is it the expresso hub or is it the old 11B terminus?

Buses are in and out of the depot all day long all though most depots would be clear by 7 in the morning when the last early drivers start I think

The 175 uses the main terminus stop 765 where the 17 stops. Beside where the Xpressos and the 39a terminate. The old 11b terminus is used as the 142 terminus now in case you are unaware. It runs on the N11 and then turns right up Fosters Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even when the 145 was first introduced a lot of people wouldn't use it as they weren't aware of where it was going and waited for a 45 or 46a instead.

Those were the days :) Virtually non stop fo rme from town to Kilbogget park for those first few days, super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The on-street RTPI for the 175 is due to go live on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

Where was this said?

Qrt wrote: »
    Where was this said?
    Email I received today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oddly late,for an element with so much direct TfL involvement over the past few months.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

I'm on this bus atm. It stops at every stop even though no one is waiting and I'm the only passenger on it. Hope It's just for testing. Other than that the route from Tallaght to Dundrum seems shorter.

Vladi_ wrote: »
    It stops at every stop even though no one is waiting and I'm the only passenger on it.
    They are keeping to the schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even when the 145 was first introduced a lot of people wouldn't use it as they weren't aware of where it was going and waited for a 45 or 46a instead.

It seemed to appear out of nowhere, with little or no advertising. I remember seeing a 145 in Bray, displaying 'City Centre', and assuming that it was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭VG31

They are keeping to the schedule.

Keeping to the schedule? This must be a first in Ireland!

VG31 wrote: »
    Keeping to the schedule? This must be a first in Ireland!

Eastbound, we had to stop for a total of 7-8 minutes at Tallaght yesterday morning, as we got that far ahead of the schedule.

Review:

I got the 175 today. It arrived at the stop a minute or two after the advertised time at the bus stop, but they're only approximate times so it's no big deal. I got on, the driver was very friendly, I feel I was one of the first passengers he's ever picked up. Anyway, the bus CRAWLED along all the way down to The Square, as in it must've been 20 km/h at some stage, clearly obvious the driver was a bit nervous.

One or two people put their hand out, realised it wasn't the 27, then just sat down at the stop and looked it up and down as it went by.

At The Square, it stopped and waited for a few minutes to keep to schedule, good to see IMO.

The bus stop situation near St. Colmcille's is a bit strange. DB stops haven't been used for a long while, but they've remained. Anyway, they've erected the new style bus stops beside the old ones. It's also noticible that the trees haven't been cut back at the pull-in areas.

There's also a bit of a Bray – Bré situation along Grange Road, specifically Three Rock Rovers Hockey club. Usually, the announcements would avoid the specific name and just say "hockey club" or some variation thereof. But Three Rock Rovers remains untranslated, and announced twice.

All in all, it seems to be a good service, and definitely less torturous than the 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I saw one in Ballinteer this evening, around 7pm - seemed to be about 10 people on the lower deck.

There's also a bit of a Bray – Bré situation along Grange Road, specifically Three Rock Rovers Hockey club. Usually, the announcements would avoid the specific name and just say "hockey club" or some variation thereof. But Three Rock Rovers remains untranslated, and announced twice.
    I don't think proprietary names should be translated, unless the translation is already in use.

I don't think proprietary names should be translated, unless the translation is already in use.

Unless it's a GAA Club IMO, anyway, I wish they had just stuck to vague names.

All in all, it seems to be a good service, and definitely less torturous than the 75.

I wonder would it be quicker if going from DL to Tallaght to get the 75 to Dundrum and then change to the 175 in Dundrum rather than going directly if it was timed correctly. Also for a more frequent connection you could the 46a to UCD and then get the 175 to Tallaght but this would take longer.

Unless it's a GAA Club IMO, anyway, I wish they had just stuck to vague names.
    GAA clubs often translate their names, so that would be OK.

NTA wrote:
    We refer to your email on 31 August 2018 to the National Transport Authority regarding fares on Go Ahead Route 175

Details of public transport journeys, including point to point fares, can be found on the National Journey Planner at: http://www.transportforireland.ie/ Alternatively, you can download the Journey Planner travel app from the Apple App store, Windows store or Google Play store. By putting in the two stops, both the cash and Leap fares can be seen.

We trust this is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

National Transport Authority
    Essentially unless you have web access you can't figure out the stages. It's amazing how something so basic is made so difficult.

Go-Ahead came back with essential the above copied out also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I was on the 175 today and the WiFi says Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its a good idea for a route, hope it works. Sadly, it does run along some rather congested roads with no bus lanes (or easily ability to add them). But there is a serious dearth of public transport along parts of that route so its welcome. I like the new livery as well. You see it coming as a recognizable yellow bus but when its alongside you, its a nice blue.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I was on the 175 today and the WiFi says Dublin Bus.

They are probably piggy backing on the contract Dublin Bus have with their supplier. If it is an older model bus, it would be an ex-Dublin Bus vehicle.
    I like the new livery as well. You see it coming as a recognizable yellow bus but when its alongside you, its a nice blue.
    Seeing some of the heads turn on Sunday was funny.

They are probably piggy backing on the contract Dublin Bus have with their supplier. If it is an older model bus, it would be an ex-Dublin Bus vehicle.

doesn't really matter what the reason is, it's sloppy.
    It also should really be NTA branded, if we're ever going to get on top on this franchise model everything needs to be branded NTA rather than operators

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

It was a new bus 11568, so they must be using the DB contract (transferred to TFI?).

It's rubbish. It goes through Dundrum village ffs. A bus full of students landed 25 minutes after their lectures started yesterday, having been almost 2 hours on the bus.

It's rubbish. It goes through Dundrum village ffs. A bus full of students landed 25 minutes after their lectures started yesterday, having been almost 2 hours on the bus.

Traffic?

Traffic?

Dundrum? Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Traffic?

The decision to shove the 175 through Dundrum Village was like the wart on the end of a nose,immediately visible to all who looked.
    However,like the same wart,it was Invisible to the owner of the nose-The NTA.

Dundrum Village,as currently laid out,is incompatible with the efficient operation of Public Bus Services.

Eventually the NTA will have the wart attended to,the only question is how long they are prepared to leave it there.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

And it appears the NTA have taken the even crazier idea of sending the 75 through the heart of Dundrum Village.

Advertisement