Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Siro 1000Mbps is available in our location through Vodafone so I'm switching to that from Virgin, will save something like 200 a year. We've had problems in the last few months with Virgin broadband, the speeds are not what they were when we first got it without nothing much changing in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's a great price you're on.

I am delighted with the price! It includes unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles too. Was just chanceing my arm with the speed :). I've been with them since around 09 and really can't fault them as a provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Can anyone answer this please?

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

If i go with vodafone which i intend to do in 12 months if i decide to go back to virgin.am i Considered a new customer?ie will i be able to get new customer offers?

What new customer offers ? They are ****e anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What new customer offers ? They are ****e anyways..

That's all very good but it doesn't answer my question : )
    There could be new offers in 12 months.

• Advertisement

That's all very good but it doesn't answer my question : ) There could be new offers in 12 months.

Yes u can...infact many get new account using spouse's name if they want to straight away..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can anyone answer this please?

Yes you would

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Just got onto Virgin via Whatsapp. Told them I wasn't happy about the price increase and asked how to cancel. They just responded.

"Thanks for that, one of our team with be in touch within 48 hours to talk through the next steps. If for any reason we are unable to contact you please be aware that your account will close in 30 days."

Seems my 30 days notice to them was done through Whatsapp.

Moving to Sky :)

I don't need 500mb a second, most people don't. Most people cannot even access it due to limitation of WiFi.

If I get 70-80 megabyte with Sky, I'd be happy.

Sky TV is the gold standard. Virgin TV is pretty unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Rang this morning and much different experience to last year, shocking attitude!
    • Started about investing in network (haven't seen speed increase in at least a year)
    • On about broadband like water and electricity and that TV is dying and people only come to Virgin for one thing
    • How great virgin are for not capping the download limit, I had a quick look and Sky and Eir are 1TB or so, want to be do some downloading to break that

Got offered E33 for six months then E72 or so for six months, couldn't explain in simple English why a E64 bill with E3.50 increase will then be E72

I think come next year ill be ringing to decrease speeds from Virgin as thanks to older estates it's them or back to ages for downloading

Rang again and said about the attitude I got and not happy

Now after deal my bill goes up the 3.50 listed not over the 5 that wasn't told why

Asked about downgrading speed and only save 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

anyone getting 9 months half price on BB only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

billbond4 wrote: »

Yeah I got 9 months half price 240mb broadband and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

billbond4 wrote: »

I did about 3 weeks ago (4th year in row ) Also got a letter yesterday for price hike but when questioned was told they are from a few weeks ago and once my agreement was made before this letter I wasn’t going to get price bump

going with vodafone fiber....does anyone know if their router supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

going with vodafone fiber....does anyone know if their router supports both 2.4 and 5 ghz simultaneously ?
    #
    most modern routers do, far better to split the networks anyway as you get way better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 4545lkjo454

Just off the phone with Virgin Media.

Paying 46.99 and and increase coming in January, so 50.49 - for 30 Mb/s.

Offered me 10euro off for 9 months. Very bad offer

So bad, I can get GoMo 4g(9.99pm + free calls/texts) and another service like Magnet24(25pm first yr) or Eir 100Mb/s(38pm first yr).

I spend more than 10pm on the phone anyway, so it's practically free internet.

So, I'll go with GoMo and see if I can manage the 80GB pm and if I can't I can always get another service and still be cheaper than Virgin.

Virgin: €563.88 + €42 increase = €605.88 -€90 discount = €459.84
    GoMo: €119.88 + Magnet24(€300) = €419.88

That's how bad Virgin Media are now.

__

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

Spoke to customer loyalty, some call centre god knows where.

Offered me 15 off nine months and 69 thereafter oh and the price would go up january 1st by 3.50. Very strange offer, anyway he wouldn't budge so I cancelled.
    Siro is in my area so rang vodafone and ordered their igb package

Up and running with vodafone...not even a blip.....getting 98 mbps...should have got last year instead of 6 months greed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Up and running with vodafone...not even a blip.....getting 98 mbps...should have got last year instead of 6 months greed...

Is that Siro or 100 mb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

pat1981 wrote: »
    Spoke to customer loyalty, some call centre god knows where.

Offered me 15 off nine months and 69 thereafter oh and the price would go up january 1st by 3.50. Very strange offer, anyway he wouldn't budge so I cancelled.
    Siro is in my area so rang vodafone and ordered their igb package

Yeh that's what I'm doing, have siro 1 Gb so Vodafone is the best offer. Virgin aren't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Why does no utility service in this country reward loyalty, instead of spending loads on marketing to get new customers in, and seemingly nothing on retaining existing ones?

I was with VM too, and got sick of going through that price increase negotiation NONSENSE every 9 to 12 months.

Then SIRO came along, so I left VM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Doesn't Siro on Voda have a 1TB a month cap though?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I got the email, my 30 day rolling contract BB only is going up 3.50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

Doesn't Siro on Voda have a 1TB a month cap though?

Fair usage policy, yes but it’s throttled thereafter and speeds according to the salesman are reduced to about 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Cancelled mine too, didn't even want to hear their offer, they started with to remove increased price for me , saving of 3.50 per month :)

Had good few years with 6/9 months half price.

Going to Vodafone Siro.

deep1 wrote: »
    Is that Siro or 100 mb ?

100 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i wonder where does misleading part come from ? as many are out of contract or changing etc, even asked here on boards rep and he said wont be affected by the 3.50 increase.

as email states : The information in this communication is correct as of August 27th 2019 so if you have made any changes to your account since this date, this may no longer be relevant for you.

so effectively i would think that anyone who gets new deal or half price etc, would fall under making changes thus not getting affected.

Am i reading this wrong or does VM have some foothold to impose it anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

hi there, I have the 360 mb virgin broadband. But thinking about changing to the vodafone broadband. The only thing is the Vodafone broadband available in my area is only 40mb. Would I see a big change in terms of the speed?

Anyone has any experience with the 40mb vodafone broadband? Is it worthwell?

tart29016 wrote: »
    hi there, I have the 360 mb virgin broadband. But thinking about changing to the vodafone broadband. The only thing is the Vodafone broadband available in my area is only 40mb. Would I see a big change in terms of the speed?

Anyone has any experience with the 40mb vodafone broadband? Is it worthwell?

What is your current usage like ?

Anything above 10 mbps is sufficient for online streaming....but if you are heavy user with multiple devices then its a different thing.

I would assume 40 is more than sufficient to be honest !

Just for everyone's benefit

1) Ordered vodafone online. Got text confirming order and saying when router will be delivered.
    2) Router was delivered in couple of days.
    3) Got a call for engineer visit once the router was delivered. Did not need it TBH as i was up and running post installing it myself.
    4) Setup 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz separately

Impressed so far with the professionalism of vodafone and quick turnaround. I am having mobile connection with them as well so good to have a single sign-on for everything.

Hope they offer Siro soon in my area !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

40mb would be about 5-3mb download speed. while if using wired connection it would seem more then enough but if theres latency or some heavy usage it would trickle down to hardware- router nics, signal strength. as single torrent or heavy download/ stream could choke internet for rest of the users, where it becomes pain to even browse.

Advertisement