Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Notes in OP,22/7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gosplan wrote: »
    I said that too a year ago. Moyes was a smart move because he was an easy guy to ditch once he failed. What would happen if Jose came in and they still bombed?
    Moyes for years had been a media favourite, a d I think his being British also lender itself to getting much lighter treatment from the media than if a Roberto Martinez type had come in and had similar results. The players we re in large part to blame, mostly from not being good enough and that was also a testament for Fergie getting 89pts from them for two years running (though signing many of them in the first place also is something worth criticising him over).

But in terms of the players not putting in the effort, that is something that developed over the earlier months of the season and while still not excusable it is somewhat understandable. Moyes' tactics were embarrassing, leading for only a tiny handful of goals from open play by October I believe. He drove Ferdinand into the ground at his age, playing him constantly where Ferguson had rotated him in and out of the team. Tactically he was comically poor, often sticking with a cautious deep backline while keeping our attacking players high up the pitch which was not only stupid in itself but player to all of our weaknesses in midfield by asking Carrick, post illness Fletcher and Cleverley to cover acres of space, and by expecting Fellaini to be able to play football when in possession.

Worst of all, whenever we got a lead, he not only failed to go for the kill but actually wanted 7-9 players to get behind the ball and hold on for dear life like a midtable team typically would against us. This, for a number of reasons, did not work and cost us leads time and again. He came out in postmatch interviews with comments that almost seemed like he was trolling everyone, bragging about having over 80 crosses against Fulham when people had been combining about his "get wide and cross" approach being draconian for ages, "we aspire to some day be on Man City's level" less than a year removed from beating them to the title, or saying "Cardiff is a tough place to get a result against so we are happy with the draw" having given up ANOTHER lead late on. And as per most reports his training was equally clueless with the vast majority of the focus being on running and fit was, including for older players like Ferdinand and Giggs who at their ages were not only always going to struggle with that, but who don't rely on those attributes anymore.

Basically yes the players gave up on him in the final months, and yes the squad was not of the quality Ferguson had got out of them in terms of results the two years prior (but they were a LOT better than the 63ish points he had them on pace for, and he had a large role in failing to strengthen over last summer) but he dug his own hole. The kiddie glove treatment he got in the media, especially towards the end, was far more irritating to me than any internal factor. At the end of the day, nice enough guy though he seems he was still wildly incompetent so comparing his treatment to what a proven top end manager like Mourinho would have gotten would have received is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Let's try this the other way around and see a little less badgering...

What do you think has changed in the last 12 months in PL land regarding top half teams, dont be shy, i'm sure you've been thinking about it cos you've been repeating the same question for ages now.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't buy it really Rio was fantastic the second half of two seasons ago. Then last season he looked so poor. Maybe it was his legs but i think it's more likely after so much success under Fergie he slacked off when Moyes came in. I think a good few players were slacking off last year which i don;t think LVG would have stood for.

Rio is an arsehole and he really showed that in his last season, a classless lout who while a great player in his day, it was much shorter than he thought.

Zico wrote: »
    Apart from those few months he was missing when he was suspended for missing a drugs test.

I like the phrase "X owes the club nothing", please don't abuse it. I'd like it to carry some meaning when referring to a player with an exemplary record.:)

Evra owes the club nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Out of the dutch world cup squad one player i hope to god we get is De Vrij he is a tank of a defender from what ive seen of him, miles better than Jones who always looks uncomfortable playing football to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Let's try this the other way around and see a little less badgering...

What do you think has changed in the last 12 months in PL land regarding top half teams, dont be shy, i'm sure you've been thinking about it cos you've been repeating the same question for ages now.

Well Liverpool are going to be weaker without Suarez and they have CL to contend with
    Spurs are always around 5th
    Everton overachieved last season, won't be challenging for 4th
    Arsenal are Arsenal.
    Southampton are selling their best players
    Newcastle don't buy players
    Chelsea have improved their team
    City I don't believe have strenghtened massively...they're looking at CL.

And I've been repeating the same questions for ages now? I've asked it twice, first time no one responded. And I've only been posting for a few weeks here!

It must really grate you that he is possibly the best defender in the history of the club. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I don't buy it really Rio was fantastic the second half of two seasons ago. Then last season he looked so poor. Maybe it was his legs but i think it's more likely after so much success under Fergie he slacked off when Moyes came in. I think a good few players were slacking off last year which i don;t think LVG would have stood for.

35 years old, his legs were definitely gone. That was obvious from the West Brom game early in the season, he struggled with pace that day, something he excelled at in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Billy86 wrote: »
    It must really grate you that he is possibly the best defender in the history of the club. :p

He's not even the best defender to have played under SAF !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There are reports that Liverpool are trying to get Reus, he would pick us over them and I would be seriously píssed if we weren't in for him and adding 20 million on top of whatever Liverpool offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Out of the dutch world cup squad one player i hope to god we get is De Vrij he is a tank of a defender from what ive seen of him, miles better than Jones who always looks uncomfortable playing football to me.

Watched all the Dutch matches and Vlaar has been sensational but i have been impressed with De Vrij only 22 and plenty of improvement to come. Young and will be cheap i would love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

There are reports that Liverpool are trying to get Reus

FinishedRectangularAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Zico wrote: »
    Apart from those few months he was missing when he was suspended for missing a drugs test.

I like the phrase "X owes the club nothing", please don't abuse it. I'd like it to carry some meaning when referring to a player with an exemplary record.:)

Some standard you're keeping there. Going on that logic Keane and Cantona also owe the club for time missed due to needless suspensions.

Over 300 performances during a 11/12 year, trophy-laden career, like I said Rio owes United nothing. If he does owe United something, the list of guys who don't must be pretty short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There are reports that Liverpool are trying to get Reus, he would pick us over them and I would be seriously píssed if we weren't in for him and adding 20 million on top of whatever Liverpool offer

It's hilarious how we were told by Liverpool fans that there would be no chance of United landing the likes of Reus and Vidal and now all of a sudden Liverpool could get them???

I don't think United could get them but Liverpool have a much worse chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Saw reports last week that he was annoyed with Barca for choosing Suarez as he had been sounded out for a move by Zubizeretta & had discouraged United from pursuing him.
    All paper talk of course, but wonder if there's a nugget of truth there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would really like to go for Shaqiri you could probably get him for 15 million and he would surely be open to moving since he is not a starter for Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Well Liverpool are going to be weaker without Suarez and they have CL to contend with
    Spurs are always around 5th
    Everton overachieved last season, won't be challenging for 4th
    Arsenal are Arsenal.
    Southampton are selling their best players
    Newcastle don't buy players
    Chelsea have improved their team
    City I don't believe have strenghtened massively...they're looking at CL.

And I've been repeating the same questions for ages now? I've asked it twice, first time no one responded. And I've only been posting for a few weeks here!

This annoys me a little bit. You're just writing off the best teams in the PL.

Ah well, Arsenal are Arsenal.
    They might well have won the league last season if it hadn't been for a spate of injuries to key players. And they have added a world class player in Sanchez. If they keep their players fit, they could easily win the league.

Newcastle don't buy players... :confused:

City are close to signing Mangala, who IMO is the missing link for them. Their biggest weakness over the last few years was that they didn't have a proper partner for Kompany. It now looks like they have their man. City could possibly run away with the league this year.

And in answer to your original question: I don't think anyone is HAPPY to finish in 4th place. We all want the club to win the league, but as things stand, there are major problems with the squad, and we have a new manager coming in, and he will likely change to a formation that our players aren't familiar with.

And like it or not, the squad that did so well in wining the 12/13 title was on its last legs. There were major problems in that squad and Fergie held it together, and RVP turned a LOT of mediocre performances into three points.

Reus to Liverpool? It really is silly season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If we did get Hummels and Reus I wouldn't be able to hold in my happiness. I rate Reus a lot better than Di Maria (Just my view). Seems too good to be true! Probably just papers making more rumours, but god I hope we get Reus.

He's not even the best defender to have played under SAF !
    Yes, yes he is. Stam is up there too but his stint was shorter and our defense was proven better with Ferdinand.

• Advertisement

Yes, yes he is. Stam is up there too but his stint was shorter and our defense was proven better with Ferdinand.

Stam didn't have Vidic playing next to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If we did get Hummels and Reus I wouldn't be able to hold in my happiness. I rate Reus a lot better than Di Maria (Just my view). Seems too good to be true! Probably just papers making more rumours, but god I hope we get Reus.

Agree with you on Reus.

Anyway, rumours of Reus to Liverpool and Skybet makes United favourite to sign Reus.
    LVG wants him according to other rumours.
    United are favourites at 4/1 from 7/1
    Arsenal 5/1 from 7/2
    Liverpool 6/1 from 14/1.

So that is where people are putting their money.
    Means he is favourite not to move...

Stam didn't have Vidic playing next to him.
    No, just Roy Keane playing in front of him along with a midfield that dominated games far more so than during Ferdinands best years.

No, just Roy Keane playing in front of him along with a midfield that dominated games far more so than during Ferdinands best years.

Ah but Stam had to play in baggier shorts and heavier boots. :rolleyes:

We were the top, or second best, team in Europe during Rio's best years....

Ah but Stam had to play in baggier shorts and heavier boots. :rolleyes:

..and he had no hair to cushion those headers.

This annoys me a little bit. You're just writing off the best teams in the PL.

Ah well, Arsenal are Arsenal.
    They might well have won the league last season if it hadn't been for a spate of injuries to key players. And they have added a world class player in Sanchez. If they keep their players fit, they could easily win the league.

Newcastle don't buy players... :confused:

City are close to signing Mangala, who IMO is the missing link for them. Their biggest weakness over the last few years was that they didn't have a proper partner for Kompany. It now looks like they have their man. City could possibly run away with the league this year.

And in answer to your original question: I don't think anyone is HAPPY to finish in 4th place. We all want the club to win the league, but as things stand, there are major problems with the squad, and we have a new manager coming in, and he will likely change to a formation that our players aren't familiar with.

And like it or not, the squad that did so well in wining the 12/13 title was on its last legs. There were major problems in that squad and Fergie held it together, and RVP turned a LOT of mediocre performances into three points.

Arsenal might have won the league if they didn't have injuries? has that been their excuse since they last won the league? They always look good early on and end up no where near winning it.

Yes when was the last time Newcastle last bought a player permanently?

The point I'm making is I expect LVG to be challenging for the league and he will be seen as a messiah for bringing a team from the edge of champions league to challenging for the title when imo it should be expected.

On Reus, his agent has been discussing a move to Barca for quite some time and is quite baffled as to why they've spent big money on Suarez. It seemed like he was going to go to Barca but now Suarez has changed all this.

On Reus, his agent has been discussing a move to Barca for quite some time and is quite baffled as to why they've spent big money on Suarez. It seemed like he was going to go to Barca but now Suarez has changed all this.

New manager, Kroos and United...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭KH25

Suarez to Barca is baffling in a sense anyway. The team is crying out for investment at CB. Puyol has never been replaced and now that he's gone that need is far greater. They love going off and throwing huge sums away on attackers.

• Advertisement

We were the top, or second best, team in Europe during Rio's best years....
    And in no small part thanks to him. We were up there thanks to having a great defence (despite a good but not great Carrick/Fletcher being all they had to shield thrm) which he was the unquestioned star player, leader and organiser of, and then being able to hit teams quickly on the counter with Ronaldo, Rooney, etc, again in no small part thanks to the quality distribution from deep coming from Scholes, VDS and... Rio Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

That CNN guy is saying Vidal to us is 75% done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That CNN guy is saying Vidal to us is 75% done

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

75% done ?! Lol

Headshot wrote: »
    Link?
    Diego Bustos @DiegoBustosCNN · 3h
    @ricketts_jr Just short of full confirmation, Di Maria to PSG and Vidal to Manchester United. As of now 75%.

Also mentions Di Maria.
    Diego Bustos @DiegoBustosCNN · 2h
    @ricketts_jr my own sources. RM and MU got nowhere, PSG offer is much better. Paris is more suitable for Di Maria and family over Manchester

https://twitter.com/DiegoBustosCNN/with_replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hope boards are prepared for boardsmageddon if we sign the best midfielder in the world

24 hours of gifs would be in order

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭KH25

If we sign Vidal this will be the best transfer window the club has had in years, with a lot more to come by the sound of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He also said this a few days ago !

"Di María agreed to be transferred to Manchester United with a salary of £150,000 per week. The clubs about to finish the deal."

So he speaks alot of Bull by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hope boards are prepared for boardsmageddon if we sign the best midfielder in the world

The mods won't know what hit them. Anna, J-Law and every kind of celebration gif would crash the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The mods won't know what hit them. Anna, J-Law and every kind of celebration gif would crash the website.

Can't forget Randy Marsh

Has anybody else been reading the Vidal thread on Redcafe? found two interesting posts there, quoted from the Juve fan forum.
    it kind of makes sense if you think about it.

in april, conte said that the club lacked the fund to compete in cl. then suddenly now we have 60 million plus to spend on morata and itrube?

smart thinking by conte using the money that is coming from the vidal sale before his actual sale so clubs dont charge us more

Which I remember someone posting something similar here recently, been wondering where that money has come from aswell.

And in relation to Vidals interview
    I'm from Chile and they are showing Vidal on TV now.

The journalist asked him if he's happy in Juventus and if his Chilean fans will watch him in black&white next year again. He replied: "I am very happy in Juve. I want to stay but that's up to the club. The financial situation in Italian football is very bad. I want to stay, I do, but if I were to leave I will do it only for a historically important club in one of the top 2 leagues in the world.
    Then the journalist said: "Barca or Real?" Vidal replies: "Both are big clubs". Journalist: "United, Arsenal Chelsea and Manchester City?". Vidal: "Only one of them is a historically big club" and he smiled. PSG? "I said only Juve or top 2 leagues".

Could be someone on the windup so I apologise but its interesting to read nevertheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I dont have a clue of how we'll play next season or even what our 1st team will be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MagicIRL wrote: »

We sign Vidal, I'll be posting them with ye :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Has anybody else been reading the Vidal thread on Redcafe? found two interesting posts there, quoted from the Juve fan forum.

Which I remember someone posting something similar here recently, been wondering where that money has come from aswell.

And in relation to Vidals interview

Could be someone on the windup so I apologise but its interesting to read nevertheless

Juve fans trolling ManUtd fans reading that forum. Both are fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

We should be allowed a gif purge...24hrs only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont have a clue of how we'll play next season or even what our 1st team will be

Kind of what makes it genuinely exciting all the same. I think a lot of people's fantasy teams on here will turn out to be way off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If Vidal was the next and last signing in this window how happy/disappointed would ye be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Marca are claiming Vidal is almost done too. Not posting the link as its in Spanish anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If Vidal was the next and last signing in this window how happy/disappointed would ye be?

well id be happier than right now as it would be one problem filled, but we need two world class signings (CB and CM) and not just one.

it would be better than nothing, but i still think (100% sure) we will sign a low cost center back.

Marca in Spain are claiming Vidal has his bags already packed in preparation for his move to Manchester.

How they are suppose to know that is questionable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement