Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the fate of the Mark 3's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Wiki says the 071/111s are limited to 90mph service speed. I can't find the citation for it but my memory reckons the 201s were pushed to max+10% during commissioning, about 115mph.

In any case, given the weight of those locos I wouldn't want to see them hammer the track any more than they already do even if upgraded to UIC60. On the other hand, I seem to recall when they arrived that the Mark 4 DVTs were mentioned as being capable of conversion to powercars. With the extra powered axles (assuming RSC okays top-tail) you could probably do it with 1200-1500hp per car plus the current HEP generators, one of which could be switched out for redundancy. You'd need to order another 8 obviously, and being single cab would not be easily put to alternative use.

The reality is though that unless IE can find a buyer for the 201s, or there is a Damascene reinterest in rail freight, loco+Mk4+DVT is likely to be the reality for a good while to come.

As frequently discussed before, dealing with issues like Limerick Junction's 25mph limit and making full use of the Kildare Route 4-track is likely to benefit more people in the short run than being able to say that for a short stretch of the Midlands that 125mph is attainable. That's like how Acela is described as 150mph when it is limited to well below that outside of two stretches of track in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    Wiki says the 071/111s are limited to 90mph service speed. I can't find the citation for it but my memory reckons the 201s were pushed to max+10% during commissioning, about 115mph.

An 071 set the Irish railway speed record of 124 mph in 1984. I have a vague recollection that it may not have been an official test either. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hungerford wrote: »
    An 071 set the Irish railway speed record of 124 mph in 1984. I have a vague recollection that it may not have been an official test either. :eek:

Urban legend I'm afraid - I remember Railway Magazine or some other mag ran with a piece about it but it was completely untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

dowlingm wrote: »
    I can't find the citation for it but my memory reckons the 201s were pushed to max+10% during commissioning, about 115mph.

I remember seeing the same posted somewhere, and like JD's post above re landspeed records, it is also false. If max permitted speed is exceeded by a few MPH on a 201, it will trigger an emergency brake application. This is a safety system, and quite a wise thing to have on a 100tonne loco.

In order for the max permitted speed to be breached, that safety system would have to be disabled or bypassed. What person is going to risk disabling a system like that, especially if any such speed trials resulted in accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

murphaph wrote: »
    The problem for IE (not that they didn't see it coming) is that the road network is now anything but 1970's wherease their timings still are (or worse!).

IE WASTED a LOT of money in buying the 201 class AND the MkIVs AND scrapping the perfectly servicable and indeed respected MKIIIs. They should have put that money into 2 things:

1) rebuilding (including down to foundations where neccessary) the Cork-Dublin line to deliver a MINIMUM 100mph through but preferably 125mph running all the way.

2) investing in a fleet of locos that were capable of actually going faster than the ones they bought in the 1960s!! (201 class is rated for 100mph, same as the 071 though apparently the 071s can actually go faster in practice) Should be seeing MKIIIs hauled at 125 mph today on Cork-Dublin

They instead took that money and blew it on flashy new carriages, painting the 201s silver and paying Craig Doyle to tell us all how great it is! Well guess what, it isn't great. It's sh!t. Irish Rail are muppets who are incapable of running a railway.

So we are scrapping 125mph capable coaches, buying new 125mph capable coaches and attaching them to locos that go a bit slower than locos which first ran 40 years ago. Marvellous progress. IE will have killed off the IC network completely in a few short years if left alone to it.

Maybe IE should have started electrifying the intercity routes as era of cheap oil may eventually come to an end.

They wouldn't have to electrify the entire system all at once, instead they could do it line by line, ordering new EMU rolling stock upon the completion of each line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Lifelike wrote: »
    Maybe IE should have started electrifying the intercity routes as era of cheap oil may eventually come to an end.

They wouldn't have to electrify the entire system all at once, instead they could do it line by line, ordering new EMU rolling stock upon the completion of each line.

in your lifelike? i don't think so...:P

Seriously, I have been interested in rail for a long time. But, tbh, it's not worth the time anymore. The (to put it bluntly) stupidness of Irish Rail and the government is not just depressing, but quite sad.

Its a terrible shame to see the demise of railways here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Here in Ireland such an idea would possibly be regarded as visionary, while in fact this scenario is current practice across Europe. The following article gives some idea, in broad brush strokes, as to the possible evolution of Irish railways in the future. IMO the first stat re the population is possibly the most telling - 8 million - some way to go yet ! The acceptance of nuclear power is also contentious, but an electrified rail system would require consideration of this power source.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...-14712181.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

donvito99 wrote: »
    in your lifelike? i don't think so...:P

Seriously, I have been interested in rail for a long time. But, tbh, it's not worth the time anymore. The (to put it bluntly) stupidness of Irish Rail and the government is not just depressing, but quite sad.

Its a terrible shame to see the demise of railways here.

Of course I know it's never going to happen. It should happen though.

IE need to wake up to the reality that oil is a finite resource. And if we would have an electrified railway system when/if peak oil occurs, railways would become very popular once again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Of course I know it's never going to happen. It should happen though.

IE need to wake up to the reality that oil is a finite resource. And if we would have an electrified railway system when/if peak oil occurs, railways would become very popular once again...

Peak oil is an utter myth. Like swine flu,avian flu, SARS, climate change, etc. Our 24 hour news channel culture invents these things during slack news periods and they take on a life of their own. Just you wait for the next global crisis that never happens. Fear sells.

I'm saying this as my personal view, not in my capacity as a IE employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Peak oil is an utter myth. Like swine flu,avian flu, SARS, climate change, etc. Our 24 hour news channel culture invents these things during slack news periods and they take on a life of their own. Just you wait for the next global crisis that never happens. Fear sells.

I would say with your foresight your heading for the top in CIE. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

To be fair, climate change is actually real and tangible, it's just not our fault (and I resent my quality of life being sacrificed to the golden cow of CO2).

shamwari wrote: »
    I remember seeing the same posted somewhere, and like JD's post above re landspeed records, it is also false. If max permitted speed is exceeded by a few MPH on a 201, it will trigger an emergency brake application. This is a safety system, and quite a wise thing to have on a 100tonne loco.

In order for the max permitted speed to be breached, that safety system would have to be disabled or bypassed. What person is going to risk disabling a system like that, especially if any such speed trials resulted in accident?

Only the 201s have an overspeed trip, at 102 mph. The 071s will go faster than their 89mph rated speed in the right conditions but I doubt they'd be safe to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I actually got swine flu. I've had worse non-porcine-related 'flus, to be honest. But I got signed off work for an entire week when I felt fine after three days and it was classed as a workplace related 'injury' (medical sector) so full pay and not classed as sick days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

kc56 wrote: »
    60's locos, 001,121,141,181's max 75mph
    70's locos, 071's, max 90mph
    Do you have a point or are you just being pedantic?

The 071s are yes indeed from the 1970's, my bad.

Soooo, assuming the 071s are limited to 90mph (and I believe they are technically capable of the tonne, just limited to 90mph in operation) and the 201s are limited to 100mph, that's a whopping 10mph increase in speed over a period of 30 years. Whoop-de-fcukin.doo for CIE and their bastard child Iarnrod Eireann. Uselss pack of muppets with completely the wrong priorities: All fur coat and no knickers as the saying goes.

They spent their (not inconsiderable) funding in all the wrong places since the start of the boom. They are nothing short of a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Soooo, assuming the 071s are limited to 90mph (and I believe they are technically capable of the tonne, just limited to 90mph in operation) and the 201s are limited to 100mph, that's a whopping 10mph increase in speed over a period of 30 years. Whoop-de-fcukin.doo for CIE and their bastard child Iarnrod Eireann. Uselss pack of muppets with completely the wrong priorities: All fur coat and no knickers as the saying goes.

They spent their (not inconsiderable) funding in all the wrong places since the start of the boom. They are nothing short of a disgrace.
    and that at a price too. 201s destroy track as they are so heavy.

but back to the mk3s....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I saw a 201 and 071 coupled together at Kent Station yesterday, I couldn't tell which was pulling what. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The 201s would be ok in other countries where the track has been built to take them (they are highly similar to the popular class 66 I believe, which pulls freight most of the time in the UK and you even see them in Germany sometimes on freight duties for private companies). IE bought the heavy ass locos before rebuilding the permanent way to handle them. Like I said...pack of muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it does seem obvious with hindsight that what was needed was lightweight power cars in pairs on rebuilt Mk3s not frieght locos on inferior mk4s. The mk3s are gone , the 201s are mostly gone, the service is no better and the track is in pieces. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The 201s would be ok in other countries where the track has been built to take them (they are highly similar to the popular class 66 I believe, which pulls freight most of the time in the UK and you even see them in Germany sometimes on freight duties for private companies). IE bought the heavy ass locos before rebuilding the permanent way to handle them. Like I said...pack of muppets.

But the Class 66's are only cleared to 65-75mph depending on the series. They are slower but can haul far more tonnage than our 201s.

But the Class 66's are only cleared to 65-75mph depending on the series. They are slower but can haul far more tonnage than our 201s.

True as the are designed purely for freight, not mixed traffic. Therefore are geared for greater tractive effort rather than max speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Slightly OT, but whats the current count on Locos? Is there a sufficient amount to run the Mark IVs, freight, and any foreseeable Mark III services?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Fear might sell, ignorance kills. Are you for real? Oil is never-ending is it? I seriously hope that was just uselessly timed sarcasm.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but whats the current count on Locos? Is there a sufficient amount to run the Mark IVs, freight, and any foreseeable Mark III services?

all 34 are still useable but some are stored:
    201-205 & 210-216 in storage, the rest active

taken from wikipedia page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

all 34 are still useable but some are stored:
    201-205 & 210-216 in storage, the rest active

taken from wikipedia page

Just out of interest, I wonder how much it would cost to buy one, just buy it and keep it? Dont some preservation charities do that?

Just out of interest, I wonder how much it would cost to buy one, just buy it and keep it? Dont some preservation charities do that?

ITG and RPSI do it in Ireland but the likes of these (the 201's) are still only 15 years old and likely to cost over €100k still I reckon. When IE sell 40+ year old ones for anything up to 10k I doubt we'll see preservation societies going near them for at least 20 years. More likey they will be bought buy some rail company or other and put to some real work.

ITG and RPSI do it in Ireland but the likes of these (the 201's) are still only 15 years old and likely to cost over €100k still I reckon. When IE sell 40+ year old ones for anything up to 10k I doubt we'll see preservation societies going near them for at least 20 years. More likey they will be bought buy some rail company or other and put to some real work.
    The 201 should be capible of hauling a train twice as long as what they are currently pulling at the moment and at over ton at that.

The EMD 66 which is its sister freight loco could easily a pull freight train of up to 1/2 a mile long :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There was a rumour about IE flogging some of the 201s - if that's not going to happen the stored ones should be put to work. The 071s have had some nasty breakdowns lately and it might be time to give thought to either retiring some or overhauling them. Unlike the 201s and their 12-710, their 12-645 engines are no longer in production (and IE offered a tender for their parts, which was ominous) but the 201s can't go everywhere on the network so they can't be completely withdrawn unless replacement lighter axle load power is acquired for ballast trains and the like.

201s have already been used on Ballina-Belview. Acquire the other 50% of the Enterprise power, vans and stock, refit/repaint, put them to work (as four sets) on Westport/Galway/Waterford-Heuston limited stop/KRPfast services to make best use of 201 crew/route knowledge. Enterprise would get 4 22K sets in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

This is an amazing pic of the 201 being unloaded at Dublin airport. Does anyone have anymore pics of this?

Also I'm wondering if someone could answer why the Cork-Dublin Train has a 201, was this to save Irish rail buying a second loco for each set? Could the train actually run with one loco if it was able to turn around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the Cork trains do run with one 201. the other end is a driving trailer .(it has a generator for train supply)

• Advertisement

center15 wrote: »
    This is an amazing pic of the 201 being unloaded at Dublin airport. Does anyone have anymore pics of this?

Also I'm wondering if someone could answer why the Cork-Dublin Train has a 201, was this to save Irish rail buying a second loco for each set? Could the train actually run with one loco if it was able to turn around?
    Not to mention the cost to the taxpayer on that amaising Antonov 201 stunt.

Advertisement