Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the fate of the Mark 3's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Until a serious accident related to wear and tear happens.

The MkIIIs still have a good bit of life left in them, they were designed to operate for decades with occasional refits. Said refits are much cheaper than buying in new stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stonewolf wrote: »
    The MkIIIs still have a good bit of life left in them, they were designed to operate for decades with occasional refits. Said refits are much cheaper than buying in new stock.

+1, just look at the UK stock

• Registered Users Posts: 78,323 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lord lucan wrote: »
    I don't see the need for an hourly service myself. Since the Malahide Viaduct collapse and with continued security alerts on the line the demand for the Enterprise has dropped dramatically. I've used it a few times this year and it's been poorly patronised. Journey time is too slow and it's quite expensive in comparison with the bus.
    Not hourly, not yet. But the existing timetable could do with being beefed up, e.g. arriving in each city before 9am. Running more services would mean you could have fewer stops per service. Of course, having the slots / passing ability is another matter.
    Of all the services in the country that could do with the spare MKIII's it's not the Enterprise imo. Stick them on the Galway roster where bus substitutions are becoming commonplace due to overcrowding on the Westport services.
    There is scope to have a few sets strategicly placed and/or others to cover peak duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Until a serious accident related to wear and tear happens.

In railway terms the MkIIIs have years of life left in them - I'm not suggesting they be dragged out of the sidings where they are 'dumped' and put back into service without overhaul. No private company could afford to waste scarce resources the way CIE/IE do, and you are cutting own throats by so doing as the day of reckoning is fast approaching for what's left of the semi-state sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

....as the day of reckoning is fast approaching for what's left of the semi-state sector.

Still? It's been approaching for decades now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

We're not there yet, but we're getting there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

As I have said before, the big barrier is a rebuilding facility. Inchicore is gone. If you were to build one you'd need steady work from NIR and IE, maybe doing warranty work for CAF and ROTEM. Somewhere rail connected but with cheap land. Somewhere like Mullingar (connecting the Moate-Athlone track as a spur to the facility).

You could send them abroad but that's a hassle and no guarantee they won't be wrecked on the way back like the 22Ks.

By the way - the Information Minister tells the BT that
    They are air-conditioned, but they don't have the modern comfort standards passengers expect.

"We've never done this before. In the past we ran them until they couldn't be run any more, apart from a couple which went to heritage railways."
    but tells the IT
    “We are examining both options currently to see how we can best deliver a quality hourly service.
    Little Chief speak out of both sides of mouth again...

Wel they are coming for you - the household silver is long gone (Aer Lingus, the Irish Sugar Company, Telecom Eireann, Great Southern Hotels etc) and now its time for the odds and ends. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Victor wrote: »
    Not hourly, not yet. But the existing timetable could do with being beefed up, e.g. arriving in each city before 9am. Running more services would mean you could have fewer stops per service. Of course, having the slots / passing ability is another matter.

That's a debate for another day but yeah,finding the room on the Northern Line is the great conundrum. Hourly services are only a pipe dream for the foreseeable future imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Stonewolf wrote: »
    We're not there yet, but we're getting there ...

.....A lot done, More to do - we shouldn't hold our breath re privatisation ! :)

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't see privatisation happening tbh.

If it does this forum will explode because a private operator will close half the lines in the country within 6 months of taking over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If it does this forum will explode because a private operator will close half the lines in the country within 6 months of taking over :pac:

Spot on. Outside of Dublin-Cork & Dublin-Belfast i can't see any private operator having any interest in any other line. The rest of the network would either close or still end up being Government run and subsidised to bits.

Well, the last time there was any real interest in a private company coming in was when Virgin wanted to buy the Cork-Dublin line in the 90's because it is the only really profitable one. Or so the story goes.

Think it'll be an all or nothing situation if it is going to happen. The network is too small in the grander scheme of things to be able to justify carving it into pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A private operator will only be an operator no doubt. The EU idea is to seperate ownership and maintenance of the railway from operating, so tenders would be sought for the less profitable lines which would include a subsidy payable to operate them where applicable.

Well, the last time there was any real interest in a private company coming in was when Virgin wanted to buy the Cork-Dublin line in the 90's because it is the only really profitable one. Or so the story goes.

Think it'll be an all or nothing situation if it is going to happen. The network is too small in the grander scheme of things to be able to justify carving it into pieces.

Well, given that it no longer serves any real purpose, outside the Greater Dublin area, it might as well be closed down. The money could be better spent on hospitals, schools, special needs assistants etc and as the late Todd Andrews said you could put the passengers on a few Greyhound buses.

Well, given that it no longer serves any real purpose, outside the Greater Dublin area, it might as well be closed down.

Yes. Nothing exists outside The Pale so why would anyone want to go anywhere outside of there :rolleyes:

Yes. Nothing exists outside The Pale so why would anyone want to go anywhere outside of there :rolleyes:

Buses and private cars? I live outside the Pale but now use the bus more than the train as it is more frequent, more comfy and considerably cheaper.

Buses and private cars? I live outside the Pale but now use the bus more than the train as it is more frequent, more comfy and considerably cheaper.

These things have existed for quite some time now and yet people still use the train. Amazing really.

My main reason for continuing to travel by train is comfort, I hate the claustrophobic "boxed in" feeling of buses.

These things have existed for quite some time now and yet people still use the train. Amazing really.

Now you hit the nail on the head - it truly is amazing that anybody uses the train anymore and certainly no thanks to CIE/IE. In case you didn't notice there was a serious decline in inter-city traffic last year - I'll post the link when I find it. Here: http://www.cie.ie/about_us/chairmans_statement.asp Numbers down 13% in 2009 and worse to come this year.

Yes, buses and cars have been about for quite some time now but have you noticed that there has been a massive improvement in the road network and rail journey times are no longer competitive?

• Advertisement

The press, the machine, the railway, the telegraph are premises whose thousand-year conclusion no one has yet dared to draw.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

You can't beat the comfort of travel by train, have a meal, a drink and go to the bog - all without stopping ! God bless those 19th century engineers ! :D

The press, the machine, the railway, the telegraph are premises whose thousand-year conclusion no one has yet dared to draw.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

You can't beat the comfort of travel by train, have a meal, a drink and go to the bog - all without stopping ! God bless those 19th century engineers ! :D

What trains are you travelling on? Have a meal, a drink (at €5.65 for a tin of beer) - yeah right.
    417.gif

I think you have been watching too many steam train videos. :D

Not quite as posh as that enjoyable video, but as a kid managed a few trips on the Enterprise in 1st class. Corridor compartment coach interiors were practically the same as below. Don't think any of our provincial buses are up to this standard. Must admit steam does affect my head alright ! ;) ps ......and your's too !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Now you hit the nail on the head - it truly is amazing that anybody uses the train anymore and certainly no thanks to CIE/IE. In case you didn't notice there was a serious decline in inter-city traffic last year - I'll post the link when I find it. Here: http://www.cie.ie/about_us/chairmans_statement.asp Numbers down 13% in 2009 and worse to come this year.

Yes, buses and cars have been about for quite some time now but have you noticed that there has been a massive improvement in the road network and rail journey times are no longer competitive?

and nor are the prices. You can drive from my home to Dublin cheaper than you can take the train from the railhead 12 miles away. no brainer isnt it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »
    and nor are the prices. You can drive from my home to Dublin cheaper than you can take the train from the railhead 12 miles away. no brainer isnt it!
    and if you are in a car you can bring 4 others with you for a small bit more. a massive saving compared with the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    and if you are in a car you can bring 4 others with you for a small bit more. a massive saving compared with the train.

especially if they pay you fuel money ;)

Rud wrote: »
    how much would it be to buy a single mk3 open coach without bogies?

Beat you to it - my mark 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The problem for IE (not that they didn't see it coming) is that the road network is now anything but 1970's wherease their timings still are (or worse!).

IE WASTED a LOT of money in buying the 201 class AND the MkIVs AND scrapping the perfectly servicable and indeed respected MKIIIs. They should have put that money into 2 things:

1) rebuilding (including down to foundations where neccessary) the Cork-Dublin line to deliver a MINIMUM 100mph through but preferably 125mph running all the way.

2) investing in a fleet of locos that were capable of actually going faster than the ones they bought in the 1960s!! (201 class is rated for 100mph, same as the 071 though apparently the 071s can actually go faster in practice) Should be seeing MKIIIs hauled at 125 mph today on Cork-Dublin

They instead took that money and blew it on flashy new carriages, painting the 201s silver and paying Craig Doyle to tell us all how great it is! Well guess what, it isn't great. It's sh!t. Irish Rail are muppets who are incapable of running a railway.

So we are scrapping 125mph capable coaches, buying new 125mph capable coaches and attaching them to locos that go a bit slower than locos which first ran 40 years ago. Marvellous progress. IE will have killed off the IC network completely in a few short years if left alone to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

murphaph wrote: »

2) investing in a fleet of locos that were capable of actually going faster than the ones they bought in the 1960s!! (201 class is rated for 100mph, same as the 071 though apparently the 071s can actually go faster in practice) Should be seeing MKIIIs hauled at 125 mph today on Cork-Dublin

60's locos, 001,121,141,181's max 75mph
    70's locos, 071's, max 90mph

Advertisement