Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Fluence and Renault reputation (warning-old thread)

Options
  • 10-05-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I am looking at getting the new Renault Fluence on the scrappage scheme for a seriously good price of €15,800.

Pros:
    Have secured their finance offer of 5.9%
    Annual road tax of €104
    52 mpg
    5 yr warranty with AA Roadside assist
    Cruise control
    Bluetooth radio
    Hands free key card
    Air conditioning
    ..and lots more.

The only problem is... everyone keeps telling me not to touch a Renault - electrical problems etc

If they have so many problems then how do Renault have the confidence to offer a 5 yr warranty?
    How come their sales are so healthy?

Basically, with so many pros my only con is the Renault reputation.

Please! I'm looking for genuine advice here. Not hearsay and bitching between members ( as I discovered on a search about Renault in other threads!). :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had a Laguna and couldn't get rid of it so sold it on for a massive loss against it OMSP.

My father had a Megane and couldn't shift it and only traded it in the other day for a Ford and was robbed on the trade in.

I don't go for the unreliable factor but mainly its a market perception that the cars are crap and because many salesmen are just fools for their customers they wont carry something their customers wont buy. It wouldn't make good business sense to have used French cars on the forecourt.

The Fluence looks pretty horrid from the pictures. My local Renault dealership was closed when I went to see one in the flesh.

If you pick up a Tom Tom model then you are doing well the others wont be much in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Crazy Taxi

Pikasso wrote: »
    I am looking at getting the new Renault Fluence on the scrappage scheme for a seriously good price of €15,800.

Pros:
    Annual road tax of €104
    52 mpg
    Cruise control
    Bluetooth radio
    Hands free key card
    Air conditioning
    ..and lots more.

The only problem is... everyone keeps telling me not to touch a Renault - electrical problems etc

If they have so many problems then how do Renault have the confidence to offer a 5 yr warranty?
    How come their sales are so healthy?

Basically, with so many pros my only con is the Renault reputation.

Please! I'm looking for genuine advice here. Not hearsay and bitching between members ( as I discovered on a search about Renault in other threads!). :D

Thats a seriously good finance rate! is that fixed for the life of the loan?
    Go for it!
    On the warranty thing, I'd rather have a car with NO warranty because it didn't need one than a car that was back and forth to dealers with niggly problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Renault don't have the confidence to put a 5 year warranty on it, that's through an aftermarket insurance company.

That said - it actually looks fairly well in the flesh and for the price, not even the Octavia can compete on size and specification.

If you are planning on keeping the car for a while, it could be a sound buy. Hopefully they've now ironed out the issues they had with earlier models, but even if not then the warranty gives peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Megane III (closely related to the Fluence) has just come 5th in the latest JD Power satisfaction survey was rated something like 10th in the reliability part of the survey. I don't recall a Renault ever doing that well in JD Power before. Also Renaults from about 2005 onwards do well in the ADAC Pannenstatistik (German breakdown statistics)

My family have owned numerous Renault for over 20 years, there have been some niggly problems and wear & tear but on the whole the cars have been very reliable, long lasting and trouble free. In my view Renault's reputation for unreliability is exaggerated and the new ones are better still. As you say the 5 year warranty is a big selling point especially on a modern complex diesel with potential for big expense if something goes wrong with diesel injection, turbo, DPF, DMF etc. Can happen with any make and result in a 4 figure bill if not covered by warranty. I would be quite wary about buying a modern diesel with a 2 year warranty which what you get on a Ford, VW, Skoda, Audi, BMW, Opel, Peugeot and probably others.

Re: sales figures, Renault was the 2nd best selling make after VW in Ireland in April. It's unheard of for Renault to sell more than Toyota and Ford in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'd have no concerns with current Renaults, great warranties and a genuine effort to improve product and service has seen them getting far better reliability ratings than previous gen cars. Fluence is a also quite a handsome car IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Hi Pikasso,

When are you going to make a decision as wether to buy or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

northknife wrote: »
    Hi Pikasso,

When are you going to make a decision as wether to buy or not?

Have secured the finance in April (low interest rate finished after that) and will make the decision in the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Berty wrote: »

My father had a Megane and couldn't shift it and only traded it in the other day for a Ford and was robbed on the trade in.

How, exactly, was he "robbed"?

You mean, he made a deal for a Ford, accepting the offer for his Megane? I assume he did everything without coercion. In fairness, accusing a Motor Dealer of "robbing" a customer is OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Gophur wrote: »

You mean, he made a deal for a Ford, accepting the offer for his Megane? I assume he did everything without coercion. In fairness, accusing a Motor Dealer of "robbing" a customer is OTT.

Talk about being pedantic...

Gophur wrote: »

EPM wrote: »
    Talk about being pedantic...

Jeez Gophur, Im not suggesting the dealer had a striped jumper and a mask. :rolleyes: You know exactly what I mean so don't ask me to elaborate.

• Advertisement

Oh, God. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Oh, God. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

The joys of sitting in front of a keyboard. GO WARRIORS! LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

I wouldn't take a Renault, new or old, for free even with 10 year warranty, horrible cars and nothing but trouble, as another poster said already you'll end up going back to the dealers with problems all the time with them. Don't buy one OP you'll be sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Does anyone know if a replacement / courtesy car would be provided during any warranty work under the Renault warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Berty wrote: »
    Jeez Gophur, Im not suggesting the dealer had a striped jumper and a mask. :rolleyes: You know exactly what I mean so don't ask me to elaborate.

Perhaps, but you did say the dealer robbed him when, in fact, he lost his shirt through other means!

I assume some shopping around was done before hand and the dealer offering best deal won the race?

One may save €5k when buying a new Renault, one will definitely lose most of that when it comes to part-exchanging it later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My mother had a megane, only trouble it ever gave was the clutch went.... after 11 years!

I bought a new Megane in 2005, knew the dealer and got a good price for it, sold it 4 months later and only lost €100 but if I hadn't got a good deal in the first place then I would have lost a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well, you may be planning on keeping it for the full 5 years and flogging it when the warranty runs out. So from that point of view, resale is not such a biggie as the residual value is not going to be the best anyway on a 5 year old car.

But keep in mind if it is one of those Monday morning cars (as in, the staff on the production line all came in with hangovers) and it gives constant trouble.... then you should enquire if the warranty is transferable with ownership.

To be honest, I see plenty of renaults on Irish roads, they cant all be bad ones ... and as is normal the squeaky wheel makes the most noise (people who have one go wrong on them give out about them a lot and further erode renaults rep).

Saying all that:
    Me <
    > renault
    ^ fifty foot bargepole

:D

The warranty is transferable alright, says so on the PDF brochure. You have to fill in the new owners details on change of ownership & post it to the insurers I guess.

air wrote: »
    The warranty is transferable alright, says so on the PDF brochure. You have to fill in the new owners details on change of ownership & post it to the insurers I guess.

Transferrable only in private sale I believe, trade it in and warranty is gone.

Yep it says that on the brochure (private sale only).
    Still I'd imagine resale should be good privately.
    For someone that does a lot of miles, getting a 2 year old megane say with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty remaining could be a very attractive proposition.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    Yep it says that on the brochure (private sale only).
    Still I'd imagine resale should be good privately.
    For someone that does a lot of miles, getting a 2 year old megane say with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty remaining could be a very attractive proposition.

True, for about €9000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

The new reanults are bullet proof - check out the survey stats.

They are also very refined and the megane is even supposed to be good to drive.

Don't mind all the pub-talk bull****ters - you could write down their entire combined knowledge of cars onto the back of an envelope.

Check out the car. If you like it; buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I dont know op renaults seem to be ok only the residual value is rubbish. Once you buy a renault you nearly have to stay with them. I have a few colleagues with lagunas etc and they have no problems i have audi/vw and experience a share of trouble. I often wonder is it a lot of bs talk of people running them down....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The reason they are giving them away is because they have to.

They simply will not sell without the massive discounts being offered.

This should be a very good clue OP as to what kind of trade in value you will get in a few years time, especially a small saloon, as hatches are always worth more at this end of the market.

I know some say that their reputation will improve in time if they keep the reliability up but the truth is this is Ireland and a stereotype is next to near impossible to remove, just look at the strong resale values of Toyotas despite everything recently, and also VW's, again VWs have been selling cars here on something they were good at 20 years ago, VWs for well over 15 years now have not been well made yet people still buy them because their Dad had one in the 70s and 80s and they were "bullet proof"(which they actually were back then).

I wouldn't buy one OP, and besides the "5 year" warranty is 3 years from Renault themselves and the balance is third party cover(you're still covered either way of course), now if they were as confident as they say they are, do you not think they would cover the 5 year warranty themselves and not outsource it?

I would be very surprised if a Dual Mass Flywheel was covered in a warranty, these are usually considered to be consumables(even though single mass ones always lasted the lifetime of a car) and therefore will not be covered, if they are that certainly is a massive bonus.

PS the entry level Royale spec is quite basic, for not a lot more there is a Dynamic model which is much better equipped.

Pros:
    Annual road tax of €104
    52 mpg
    Cruise control
    Bluetooth radio
    Hands free key card
    Air conditioning
    ..and lots more.

:D

Oh, and this price also INCLUDES metallic paint & delivery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Looking at the Fluence on the Honest John website and it says that its built in Turkey (where are the other Meganes built?) for the Turkish, Romanian and Russian markets. Its not available in the UK but we're getting it?
    Is is possible to assume it is sub-standard if it is aimed at Eastern Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Looking at the Fluence on the Honest John website and it says that its built in Turkey (where are the other Meganes built?) for the Turkish, Romanian and Russian markets. Its not available in the UK but we're getting it?
    Its possible but i doubt it really. Renault are'nt the only ones to do that either, Opel did that only two years ago with the Astra saloon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's possible, but it's incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Had one out for a drive at the weekend and am quite keen on it myself. Anyone know how much to add on the stereo upgrade?

Advertisement