Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Fluence and Renault reputation (warning-old thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is the DPF included in the warranty?

If not, people are going to be spending a fortune keeping these yokes going in a few years time - people are buying diesel because of the €104 tax and not actually thinking about the consequences of a DPF packing in because the car gets driven around town all the time / driven too gently or the DMF going.

Diesel works for some people, but it is feck all good for a lot of people who predominantly use their cars for short distance low speed driving.

Is there a 1.4/1.6 Petrol Megane or Fluence available?

There is a 1.6 which is in band D or else band E.

God bless Ford, for they do a simple 1.6 petrol in the new Focus, with no start/stop, direct injection, turbo, DPF, DMF and it sits nicely in band B:pac:;)!

Oh and it is available in 125 PS form too, so it's not slow either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

DPF should be covered under warranty alright. Mine was when it clogged due to a fault. I can see a major problem when the warning light comes on an people ignoring it. It comes on to tell you to take it for a run to force a regan. Leaving it go will mean it could clog up completely and require replacing far too early.

EPM wrote: »
    DPF should be covered under warranty alright. Mine was when it clogged due to a fault. I can see a major problem when the warning light comes on an people ignoring it. It comes on to tell you to take it for a run to force a regan. Leaving it go will mean it could clog up completely and require replacing far too early.

Given that a lot of people see servicing as an expensive waste of money, you can be sure that plenty of folk will ignore the DPF warning light as well!

• Advertisement

In this country I can see Renaut losing their shirt on warranty claims. Same can be said for other manufacturers.

I can see the company that Renault Ireland have contracted to provide the last two years of the "five year warranty" losing their shirt.

FYP;)!

In this country I can see Renaut losing their shirt on warranty claims. Same can be said for other manufacturers.

Not if they get away with charging €65 to regen a DPF on a newish car :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not if they get away with charging €65 to regen a DPF on a newish car :)

I can see the thinking behind this if the driver ignored the warnings. But a forced regeneration is basically taking it for a spin with a mobile diagnostics until attached and pressing the button. A lot for so little...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I can see the thinking behind this if the driver ignored the warnings. But a forced regeneration is basically taking it for a spin with a mobile diagnostics until attached and pressing the button. A lot for so little...

Not necessarilly EPM, a forced regen involves running the engine at high idle and over-fuelling the injectors which dumps diesel in to the DPF which in turn ignites and burns off the soot/particles. The single biggest cost of this process is the requirement that the oil be changed after the process due to the ultra-high engine temperature experienced and the degradation of the engine oil during the cycle....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 higginsshane70

Renault Fluence is something like cheaper option of Renault but i think it's great option if you don't have too much money and you want to have new car with everyting what modern car should have.
    My father bought Nissan Tiida which is similar car for Nissan.

Renault Fluence is something like cheaper option of Renault ...........My father bought Nissan Tiida which is similar car for Nissan.

It's a booted Megane, class above the Tiida no matter how cheap it is.

Not necessarilly EPM, a forced regen involves running the engine at high idle and over-fuelling the injectors which dumps diesel in to the DPF which in turn ignites and burns off the soot/particles. The single biggest cost of this process is the requirement that the oil be changed after the process due to the ultra-high engine temperature experienced and the degradation of the engine oil during the cycle....

Oil change afterwards? Is it not the same process as the normal regen cycle that most cars do automatically anyway once the exhaust temperature is high enough (on a high speed journey for example)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SlowRunnerMarty

Like Flerg I too bought Tom Tom diesel Fluence last year and I got far more extras and much better price than anything else on the market.
    Im absolutely delighted with it and as I had an old 10 year old car I got the top of the range Fluence for less than 18K

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I had an old 10 year old car I got the top of the range Fluence for less than 18K

This is a point in Renault's favour: people trading in 10+ year old cars on a scrappage scheme may be more likely to keep the car long-term than folks who trade in 2-4 year old cars for a new model more regularly.

If you're keeping a car for 5 years plus, a low sticker price is of course good news, but low residuals don't matter so much, since the car is worth roughly 0% of it's new price when you get rid anyhow.

At €104/annum motor tax and decent mpg if you got 5 years troublefree from the €15,000 ones you got value/cheap motoring anyway even if you only get €3000/€4000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As implied in the last couple of posts, low purchase price generally results in low depreciation. It can be like banging you head off a wall in this forum when people start assuming that because a car is discounted and is a Renault that it will result in awful depreciation. The opposite is the case.

A 15k Fluence will depreciate less than a 20k Honda Civic. The Civic will be worth more than the Fluence after 1, 2, 5 years but it won't be worth 5k more. The longer both cars are kept, the smaller the difference becomes. It might be down to less than 500 quid at 10 years. If both cars do big mileage this could occur a lot sooner. Two cars worth feck all but one of them cost 5k less than the other as well as having a better warranty and better reliability (source ADAC, the current model Civic is a relatively unreliable car)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oil change afterwards? Is it not the same process as the normal regen cycle that most cars do automatically anyway once the exhaust temperature is high enough (on a high speed journey for example)?

I think he means the additive that is used with the DPF. Eolys is the name of the additive used on the PSA HDi engines.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think he means the additive that is used with the DPF. Eolys is the name of the additive used on the PSA HDi engines.
    No there's no fluid used with the Renault DPF, I know the PSA HDi's use the Eolys fluid. The induced regeneration is carried out using the diagnostics clip in the workshop. Ideally this should never need to be done, but where regeneration attempts have failed its a necessity. Usually the start-stop driving syndrome causes this. The oil must be changed after a forced regeneration, you'd understand why if you saw the temperature readouts of the upstream and downstream sensors during regeneration ! The cooling fan is on full whack during the process. Haven't seen any of the Renault Euro 5 Engines needing a regeneration yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dags

Is the DPF included in the warranty?

If not, people are going to be spending a fortune keeping these yokes going in a few years time - people are buying diesel because of the €104 tax and not actually thinking about the consequences of a DPF packing in because the car gets driven around town all the time / driven too gently or the DMF going.

Diesel works for some people, but it is feck all good for a lot of people who predominantly use their cars for short distance low speed driving.
    That makes sense car is only 9 months old and have nearly 20,000 km done. I just wonder is diesel not a good grade ...watered !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dags wrote: »
    That makes sense car is only 9 months old and have nearly 20,000 km done. I just wonder is diesel not a good grade ...watered !!!!!!!!!!

The grade of diesel would have feck all effect of the DPF. The Diesel filter would hold any dirt or water. Its normally gets clogged from short slow journeys plus using the wrong oil type in your car but your car is new so the oil in not an issue. The moral of the story is drive harder..:)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The moral of the story is drive harder and faster ..

FYP!

Just curious OP, which of the following images was the light on the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On the contrary it could be a bargain in the long run if they explain the reason it happened to the owner and they take heed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just back from a glorious month in Florida and picking up on the 5 year Renault warranty I had a Kia Sedona, grand car and noticing the ads in the paper Kia's come with a longer standard warranty than over here (7 years I think) i.e. 10 years, 100,000miles.
    I thought now that's confidence, until I saw some ads from the local Kia dealerships on the local TV stations, if you buy a new model Kia they come with 20year, 200,000miles warranty, talk about long term confidence in your car after that!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Warranty is just a variation on an insurance policy. A manufacturer or dealer could give you a 100 year warranty if they wanted, but they then have to make provisions for the potential costs of repairs and you can be sure you're paying for it when you buy the car.

On mature reflection, I'd bet my hat on it being the diesek fuel filter rather than DPF that has been at fault here ! Please check with your garage OP and put me out of my misery !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I have a new megane, 1.5dci, 5 year warr, I am getting 90km per gallon, 104 tax a year, service interval 2 years.

The car is fantastic, great road holding, safest in its class. If you are thinking of a new estate car for 16 and a bit grand you would be mad not to get this new.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I am getting 90km per gallon.
    My S-Max gets about 6 light years on a cubic mile of diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

safest in its class

Please elaborate......:rolleyes:

Advertisement