Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Fluence and Renault reputation (warning-old thread)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I have a new megane, 1.5dci, 5 year warr, I am getting 90km per gallon, 104 tax a year, service interval 2 years.

The car is fantastic, great road holding, safest in its class. If you are thinking of a new estate car for 16 and a bit grand you would be mad not to get this new.

Two things:

- it is crazy to leave a diesel engine go two years without even so much as an oil change, regardless of what Renault say. Any engine, especially a diesel should at least get the oil changed once a year minimum.

- the Megane is NOT the safest car in its class - the basic models don't even have ESP as standard. The only other cars in the segment that don't have this life saving safety feature are the Skoda Octavia, Toyota Auris/Corolla and Peugeot 308. Everything else has this vital safety feature.

It's no good having all the airbags in the world or a five star safety rating when you don't have the technology that can prevent you from needing to use the airbags and five star crash test rating in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Two things:

- it is crazy to leave a diesel engine go two years without even so much as an oil change, regardless of what Renault say. Any engine, especially a diesel should at least get the oil changed once a year minimum.

- the Megane is NOT the safest car in its class - the basic models don't even have ESP as standard. The only other cars in the segment that don't have this life saving safety feature are the Skoda Octavia, Toyota Auris/Corolla and Peugeot 308. Everything else has this vital safety feature.

It's no good having all the airbags in the world or a five star safety rating when you don't have the technology that can prevent you from needing to use the airbags and five star crash test rating in the first place!

The new range of Renault Euro 5 diesels can get UP TO two years between sevices, obviously this is in the most rare of occasions where mileage is minimal and driving conditions are easy. There is an Oil Control System in the E5 diesels that monitors the quality of the oil and adjusts the service interval accordingly. I've yet to see a car go two years between services, its usually just a year/30,000 klms.

I agree with the ESP statement, its standard on all models of Fluence and I'd imagine it will become compulsory on all cars in the next few years, its a great bit of kit ! Its on the Dynamique upwards Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The new range of Renault Euro 5 diesels can get UP TO two years between sevices, obviously this is in the most rare of occasions where mileage is minimal and driving conditions are easy.

In which case your DPF will be clogged before the 2 years is up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My S-Max gets about 6 light years on a cubic mile of diesel.

That's 7.343 l/100km. Is that around town or on the motorway? :)
    =+((1760*3*12*2.54)^3/1000)/((299792458/1000)*86400*365.25*6)*100
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yakuza wrote: »
    That's 7.343 l/100km. Is that around town or on the motorway?

Mostly motorway, but I don't always strictly obey the warp drive limits.

By the way, you are sad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Pfft, it's not rocket science :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 poolfandar

Has anybody got an up to date price or a recent price for a 1.5dci Fluecne on Scrappage? Was quoted €16700 the other day from, would there be any more room for haggling???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

36,000 billion miles, pics or gtf
    poolfandar wrote: »
    Has anybody got an up to date price or a recent price for a 1.5dci Fluecne on Scrappage? Was quoted €16700 the other day from, would there be any more room for haggling???

Always more room to haggle, go to a different dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 0279

Best car i ever had. i changed for a laguna. can't believe that it does so much and is so well quipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

0279 wrote: »
    Best car i ever had. i changed for a laguna. can't believe that it does so much and is so well quipped.

Woah! 2 posts in 7 years. Don't go over doing it now 0279 :D:D:D:D ;)
    Enjoy your Fluence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I personally hate the name "Fluence"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

C4Kid wrote: »
    I personally hate the name "Fluence"

Reminds me of FLATULENCE

Reminds me of Affluence or Influence, it all depends I suppose on where your head's at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Pikasso wrote: »
    Reminds me of Affluence or Influence, it all depends I suppose on where your head's at :D

Hi pikasso (anyone else) do you take phonecalls through the bluetooth radio? Just curious if it's compatable with the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Slick50 wrote: »
    Hi pikasso (anyone else) do you take phonecalls through the bluetooth radio? Just curious if it's compatable with the iphone.

I've used everythign from an iphone to various android phones and an old nokia on the mothers megane without issue.

Yes, it's compatible. Pleasantly so!
    Pairs seamlessly everytime you get into and start the car - I never have to take the iphone out of my pocket (it stays there snuggled up with my keycard!).
    A flick of the wand by the steering wheel operates voice control.
    Just say the (pre-programmed) name and it rings that number.
    Radio cuts out for the duration.
    Incoming calls can be answered with a flick of the wand also. Quality is excellent with caller display coming up on the car display.
    Music from your iphone plays over bluetooth also. Scroll through songs with the dial by the steering wheel. Song titles will not display however.
    Bluetooth was very important to me when considering the Fluence and I was not expecting to be able to play songs over the bluetooth system.
    I thought I would have to plug the phone into the sytem for that. Excellent audio quality when playing songs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Yep! I use it all the time and also use the bluetooth to play my music. It works a treat! (well from my android it does):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ca3nab

Hi there, I know this post is 4 years old now but I am now thinking of buying a 2nd hand Fluence maybe 2010 or 2011. How did you get on with yours or did you decide against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'm not the OP but we have one since May 11, bought new, 90000km on it now, hasn't missed a beat. As with any second hand car purchase how the previous owner(s) used & minded it will be important.
    Renault reputation is significantly better than what it used to be especially since 08 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dags

ca3nab wrote: »
    Hi there, I know this post is 4 years old now but I am now thinking of buying a 2nd hand Fluence maybe 2010 or 2011. How did you get on with yours or did you decide against it?

Hi, we still have our 2010 fluence with over 90,000 km on it, its going like a clock. Our early problem was poor service from Bill Cullen's Galway Renault long story but gone out of business now. We even bought a Dacia in 2013 which is really a Renault good car for the money. We deal with a Renault garage in Limerick for both cars and get a lot better service would highly recommend them. Answer to your question yes we will buy another fluence next year and trade our 2010 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

I posted here four years ago to say I bought the top of the line Tom Tom Fluence and I am still driving it. I haven't had so much as a hint of a problem - the only thing that's been changed is oil and tyres. I love this car and I echo comments that have been made on this thread about the amount of gadgets for your buck - I just think this is a great car. Such was the confidence that I had in it that I recently bought a Fluence ZE - that's the all electric version - now that is a leap of faith. All working out so far, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seems the Fluence has been a surprise reliability and sales hit with Irish buyers. Have heard and read nothing but good things about them. Starting to get a buy long in the tooth now they need to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

flerg wrote: »
    Such was the confidence that I had in it that I recently bought a Fluence ZE

How is that working out for you & do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it, I assume you are leasing the battery also & why didn't you go for the Nissan Leaf which seems to be the market leader

How is that working out for you & do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it, I assume you are leasing the battery also & why didn't you go for the Nissan Leaf which seems to be the market leader

It's working out great so far. Of course you still need another car for long trips but for a daily commute to and from work it's a dream. The only problem was with the home charge point which died after a single use (but it was replaced quickly). I hope that doesn't keep happening.

Yes I am leasing the battery. The real reason I bought the car was opportunistic - it was an unwanted prize and the price was tempting enough to take a chance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe it has something to do the fact that the Fluence is made by Samsung? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

How much are you paying on the rental Flerg if you don't mind me asking?
    I see a Fluence EV can be picked up for about £7k in the UK, vs £8k approx for a Leaf (2011 one on eBay UK yesterday).
    They are cheap but don't seem great value compared to the Leaf given the ongoing rental costs.

Yeah so I pay about 100 Euro per month for the rental which is definitely not cheap but the way I managed to sell this expense to myself is that this is also like an insurance policy. If there are any problems with the battery then it gets replaced, if its capacity drops below a certain percentage over time then it gets replaced and you also get a towing service to a charge point if ever you get stuck somewhere out of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Thanks for that information.
    Do you know if there is ever an end to the battery lease?
    The whole concept is a bit odd the way you don't really own a major component of the car. Does the rental contract require comprehensive insurance to cover their loss on the battery in a write off situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ca3nab

Thanks everyone for the feed back. My mind is almost made up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

bazz26 wrote: »
    Maybe it has something to do the fact that the Fluence is made by Samsung? :pac::pac::pac:

All parts supplied by renault:D

Advertisement