Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Lurching wrote: »
    I had been closely following this thread prior to buying my own mower.
    I'm thinking of treating my mower to a house this year, but I'd prefer if it wasn't just a boring plastic cover.

Is anyone willing to share photos of their mower houses?

Great timing I was just about to ask a housing question myself.

My plan is to buy a dog kennel a little bigger than my charging station, remove the base/floor and place it overhead giving a nice little garage that blends in well with the garden and doesn't attract any attention.

The below is an example I happened to see on Reddit - I don't like the lip on entry and also the base is just going to rot very quickly. Ideally it would have no timber making contact with the ground with the legs on weatherproof footings etc.

dshaa7vykkw41.jpg

The only drawback I could see is that strictly speaking you're supposed to disconnect your boundary and guide wires in lightning storms to prevent a risk of charging station getting fried. This is obviously not going to be at all convenient if you've a permanent garage that you don't want to be disassembling constantly.

I thought it might be quite nice to just screw in 3/4 weatherproof switches on the back wall of this garage (kennel) and route the wires through them and into the back of the station. Then you could simply walk over and casually flick them off.... would be so quick and easy.

This would also save on wear & tear on the electrical contact tabs themselves which could become loose/break over time as they're not really designed for a lot of connections and disconnections really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Looks tidy.

Hadn't even heard the lightening point before. I've never unplugged mine. I didn't even take the base station in over winter. Boundary was still connected.

Looks tidy.

Hadn't even heard the lightening point before. I've never unplugged mine. I didn't even take the base station in over winter. Boundary was still connected.

Yes - Well obviously it's all about luck to some degree but also your own circumstances.

For example the risk is far greater if you're situated at the top of a hill and then the giant loop of electrical conductor you've kindly laid out in your garden is quite inviting for a lightning strike - Google says the average lightning strike is about 300,000,000 volts which may damage your charging stations electronics :D

As for the likelihood, I've no clue how risky it is but I can confirm it happened in my parents house a few years back - Presumably if your mower is docked at the time that gets fried too.

Heres a Reddit link where owner says the charging station pretty much exploded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/automower/comments/d10tx0/automower_hit_by_lighting/

And a link to an interesting product that supposedly works well.

https://www.automower-forum.com/topic/201-surge-protection/

A word of warning for anyone thinking of ordering from Myrobotcenter.eu who promise a 4 business day delivery time to Ireland. After 5 days I noticed that my order was still marked "in process".

Contacted them and they said my item was not in stock and they'd send it out when it came in and it would arrive around March 30th - 10 days after ordering.

This made no sense as I'd actually ordered 5 different items - Told them this and asked for whatever wasn't in stock to be cancelled and refunded to my card and to immediately send out what they did have.

2 days of emails and nonsense and I'm more than likely short wire for my install this weekend - This will be my first and last interaction with them.

That said, it was still preferable to paying my local Lawnmower Shop/Husqvarna Dealer an extortionate €115 for a roll of crappy wire he's probably buying in from China for around a tenner - I'm very glad to be taking a route on this (direct order of mower from a distributor and self-install) where I'm not going to give them a single cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

Hi All,

Just on Myrobotcenter.eu i have an order with them for a Worx M500 since middle of February - took payment straight away and since then every delivery date has been missed and no idea when I will get my unit.

Not sure what to do at this stage and whether the problem is them or Worx.

Just thought I'd share in case others are also waiting on orders form them.

Great forum and thanks to all who contribute.

iggy82 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just on Myrobotcenter.eu i have an order with them for a Worx M500 since middle of February - took payment straight away and since then every delivery date has been missed and no idea when I will get my unit.

Not sure what to do at this stage and whether the problem is them or Worx.

Just thought I'd share in case others are also waiting on orders form them.

Great forum and thanks to all who contribute.

Sorry to hear that Iggy - I'd be contacting them and asking for immediate action within a reasonable timeframe.

Failing this if they are dragging their heels, fobbing you off, stalling for time indefinitely etc then say you're going directly to your credit card company and asking for an immediate chargeback due to the Seller not meeting their obligations within a reasonable timeframe - this (I've learned here on Boards) is known for making these people sit up and take notice and will most likely produce results in the short term. You're taking your money back beyond their control and they won't want to lose face in front of a major financial institution either.

I didn't mention this in my last post but as soon as I logged my complaint to myrobotcenter.eu my profile on their website was disabled and I could no longer log in.

I'd noted the password and am sure it was correct - Regardless I went down the reset password route and was told there had been too many attempts to change password - This was on the very first attempt.....

I was effectively locked out - I presume they started doing this by default whenever someone contacted support to stop people checking the exact status of or cancelling orders, leaving unfavourable customer reviews or whatever else.

If I was you I'd take a serious look at the McCulloch, Flymo or Gardena Automowers - they're all rebadged Husqvarna machines with the same parts internally - I ordered my McCulloch Rob R1000 from North x South and had next day delivery for free.

This link has a range of them to suit various sized lawns:

https://northxsouth.ie/collections/robot-lawnmowers

I'm only in the very early days of ownership so kind of feel like I shouldn't give a full endorsement this early - only to say that I'm delighted with everything so far, build quality, functionality and performance are all excellent. Also there's a few other posters on here running these for years and they're very happy with them by all accounts.

Below is the label on the McCulloch Rob R1000 showing its Husqvarna pedigree, charging station and power supply are also Husqvarna branded - For €695 including a full installation kit (200M wire and 400 pegs, 3M connectors etc) I think its outstanding value.

rob3.png

I'd be curious to know more about the Gardena Sileno models as I think they're based of a more fully functioned Husqvarna model since it comes with spiral cutting, a frost sensor, more sophisticated routing for narrow passageways and dead ends, WIFI support etc.

Can anyone please advise on this?

*** Edit to add that someone on here with a Gardena Sileno (not sure of which model) reckons its a rebadged Husqvarna 315x ***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Darbre18

Hi all, I have the 430x since last June, the last week it has developed a small problem. When leaving the docking station it follows the guide wire to its end, crossing my drive into a small part of the lawn. It returns to the docking station for a charge and then repeats, ignoring the large section of the lawn. GPS is turned on. Anyone experienced this or know a solution? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ivg

Where do you guys purchase replacement batteries for worx landroid? Would like do upgrade to 4ah, but amazon won't ship and any other places I can find online that would ship only offer them at very steep prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Hey guys, my brother is looking at the following mower and I'm wondering does anyone have any experience with a Yard Force mower and also with this particular mower - Yard Force LUV1000Ri.
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-luv1000ri-2021

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

ivg wrote: »
    Where do you guys purchase replacement batteries for worx landroid? Would like do upgrade to 4ah, but amazon won't ship and any other places I can find online that would ship only offer them at very steep prices...

You could use Address Pal by An Post (a mail forwarding service), but you will pay VAT on it and import fees.

I had a quick look there and I can't find any Irish retailers selling the battery. Maybe B&Q might be able to order it in, but not sure after that.

It's a real pity to hear people having negative experience with myRobotCenter, I had no problems when I ordered off them last year.

• Advertisement

It's a real pity to hear people having negative experience with myRobotCenter, I had no problems when I ordered off them last year.

Had to ring GLS there as my package that was ordered on the 18th of March is still in Neuenstein, Germany.

They reckon I might get it towards the end of next week around 15 days after ordering.

Fair enough MyRobotCenter don't control GLS, but they do opt to use them, they did cause an initial long delay with my order and the do advertise a 4/5 day lead time on their website.

AVOID unless you really don't care when your items arrive.

Can anyone on here please advise another option to pick up 250M of loop wire and some fixing pegs!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

ivg wrote: »

Its a standard fitting with some other cordless makes, I used a 5ah lidl one that fits, erbauer also fits so local stockists may have those versions.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Had to ring GLS there as my package that was ordered on the 18th of March is still in Neuenstein, Germany.

They reckon I might get it towards the end of next week around 15 days after ordering.

Fair enough MyRobotCenter don't control GLS, but they do opt to use them, they did cause an initial long delay with my order and the do advertise a 4/5 day lead time on their website.

Can anyone on here please advise another option to pick up 250M of loop wire and some fixing pegs!?

Amazon have the pegs anyways, pretty sure they have the wire too, but I think it's a bit more expensive

Mango Joe wrote: »

I got mine from Amazon.de. If you look for Genisys then you'll find a range there. Much cheaper than most other places and very good. You can get bundles or individual sets.
    https://www.amazon.de/Installation-Husqvarna-Automower-Kabel-Verbinder/dp/B079P1NRSZ/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=genisys&qid=1616750983&sr=8-13

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I ordered 2 mowers from them at different times (months apart)
    Aside from being on backorder each time there was no delays for me.
    I even had a bit of support back and forth with them which went well.

Would recommend them 100%.

I had been closely following this thread prior to buying my own mower.
    I'm thinking of treating my mower to a house this year, but I'd prefer if it wasn't just a boring plastic cover.

Is anyone willing to share photos of their mower houses?

I made a frame with scraps of wood and put a bit of stain on it then put a roof on. (more bits lying around). I'll post a pic later after it stops raining and I go out to rescue Rovie who is stuck on the boundary in tall grass. lol

I set mosses loose yesterday.
    I told the missus it would definitely stop when it hits the daffodils. It didn't .
    I need to set up a section of boundary wire that I can switch between for spring/summer mowing.

What daffodils?
    there were no daffodils there. she must be dreaming...

:P

Has anyone added lights to there mower so You can see where it is at night time?

I got mine from Amazon.de. If you look for Genisys then you'll find a range there. Much cheaper than most other places and very good. You can get bundles or individual sets.
    https://www.amazon.de/Installation-Husqvarna-Automower-Kabel-Verbinder/dp/B079P1NRSZ/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=genisys&qid=1616750983&sr=8-13

That a great tip Bungus...... or is it Mr. Beefcake? :)

- Wish I'd found that package originally.......Thanks for the help.

Ordered one of these kennels today - Was interesting to note that out of 100 Customer photos, 3 of these Kennels were bought to house a different class of animal altogether! Photos below are from their website.

I went for the large which I'm hoping is the right size..... Should have around 5cm on either side of front edge of charging station baseplate. I think it will be a bit bigger than in the below photos, happier to have a bit more clearance just in case and if I upgrade the mower then it should suit the next one too.

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_houses_flaps/wood/pitched_roof/129910

I think I'll remove one more board across the door for a cleaner finish without that semicircular gap and drop the height a bit.

b800.jpg

b800.jpg

b800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

jwhat wrote: »
    The last two years it's been €150 a pop and that's from two different dealers. I thought that was the standard cost!
    Anyone got a dealer service for an husqvarna automower - got charged 70 euro today which seems a bit steep :-( - Aside from plugging it into a laptop and changing blades - do they do anything else ?

I got a 315x installed last weekend and the dealer quoted me 70-80 euro for the annual service. Service covers clean down, firmware update, blade change and a cover seal change. Seemingly changing the seal helps keeps the internals dry as the seal degrades over time. According to the dealer many of the electrical faults especially with the boards stem from moisture getting in via the cover seal.
    Makes sense but could take it with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

ArrBee wrote:
    Has anyone added lights to there mower so You can see where it is at night time?

450 comes with lights. Never used as it prefers stealth mode

ArrBee wrote: »

My 315X sometimes cuts in the evening, just so I can justify the fact that it has lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Hi all, I’ve a “garden assessment” to be done by local husqvarna supplier in the next week or so. Get there are significant better deals with online suppliers but I’m not into maintaining/repairing/gardening etc and will look for him to do the install (zero interest in doing myself) so have someone that can handle repairs etc with less hassle I hope.

Lawn is about 1000sqm with one area 600sqm and then back (small), side and another front garden (all “linked” but very tight in one spot.

Is there any watch outs/questions I should have ready when he comes along? Biggest concern is charging point. Only socket I have is not usable for this but do have power going to a light at other side of lawn and for septic tank agitator.

Thanks.

higster wrote: »
    Hi all, I’ve a “garden assessment” to be done by local husqvarna supplier in the next week or so. Get there are significant better deals with online suppliers but I’m not into maintaining/repairing/gardening etc and will look for him to do the install (zero interest in doing myself) so have someone that can handle repairs etc with less hassle I hope.

Lawn is about 1000sqm with one area 600sqm and then back (small), side and another front garden (all “linked” but very tight in one spot.

Is there any watch outs/questions I should have ready when he comes along? Biggest concern is charging point. Only socket I have is not usable for this but do have power going to a light at other side of lawn and for septic tank agitator.

Thanks.

For me, depending on your dealer quote I would consider this: my brother was recently quoted (a week or so ago) by a Husky dealer for a 500m2 garden who said that he needed a 315 (which does 1000m2 so much too oversized for his garden) and that since he had 2 areas it would be 1850 for him to do 2 enclosed areas or 2000 if he linked them by a path at the side of his house....the 315 which you can get for 1450 retail from myrobotcenter. However, the dealer would be getting them for 1000-1100 depending on their arrangement. This means the cost to install is at least 400-1000 nearly double the mower cost. Hence why most people install themselves. Also, the installer will not do any gardening work at all, i.e. fill holes etc as they'll tell you that has to be done before installation. So you could save a fair deal for just a day work.

Anyway, if I was dead set on getting someone to install it then I would ask them if they're going to give you the first 2-3 years servicing for free. You can always tell them that you've been offered that by another installer and at least get that as extra because they won't do any other extras.

For questions to ask, ask him what do you need to do to the place before installation. That'll then give you an idea if you need to do work...i.e. trimming bushes, filling holes, putting in a plug...etc. and what does their install cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

My 315X sometimes cuts in the evening, just so I can justify the fact that it has lights.

I cut at night because mine crosses the tarmac and it’s less likely to get rolled over . I leave lights off as I figure they just advertise it . The app sends a notification if it’s in trouble. 430X

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

higster wrote: »

Thanks.

I know a few where the dealer said they needed to get the 435x due to slope etc. Their gardens would be almost flat and seems like being very conservative so I’d definitely question that if it was recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

fael wrote: »
    I got a 45 pack for €25. Works as good as the OEM blades. I have a 310, but blades are the same.
    They seem to be out of stock at the moment but this is the link:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RPYM3DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see these blades are out of stock, any got any recommendations for other ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

dashoonage wrote: »
    I see these blades are out of stock, any got any recommendations for other ones ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085DFVJM5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

have ordered and am using these - as far as recommended... these blades are all the same.. can confirm it cuts the grass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Done. Ordered. Thanks Paul

• Advertisement

I changed the blades on my 315 yesterday.
    I have a pack of those ones from Amazon but still have a few genuine ones left.

Genuine ones are double ended. Amazon ones are only single ended. Probably means they won't last quite as long.

Advertisement