Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

embraer170 wrote: »
    Looks great. One of my favourite banana bread recipes is this one, but I will definitely try the one linked above:
    https://rainbowplantlife.com/best-easy-vegan-banana-bread/

Will try that one in a couple of weeks.

The minimalist baker is great for using 8 ingredients or less in her recipes and most of her stuff is vegan.

https://minimalistbaker.com/recipes/vegan/

A weekend breakfast during the week.

Tofu scramble by - https://www.noracooks.com/tofu-scramble/

With a side of the best vegan sausage I’ve tried yet which is, surprisingly, a supermarket own brand.

This restaurant is one of my favourite places to go.

A great inclusive and creative environment where you pay whatever you feel the meal is worth.

You can also choose to volunteer here too and many do as it’s a great place to meet people and especially if you’re new to the city/country.

They have suggested payment amounts and you can choose to pay a basic amount to cover the cost of the food or a little more to include the cost of rent and energy or pay a little more to allow someone else, less fortunate, to eat for less/free. You also don’t have to pay for what you eat if that’s what you choose.

We shared a Dahl and a tofu scramble.

https://www.lentilasanything.com/#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Pie & mash on a cold miserable night.... ch*ckn (made from tvp pieces rehydrated in broth made from better than boullion) and leek, with roast garlic cashew cream sauce.

French onion skillet lasagna by -

https://www.veganricha.com/french-onion-skillet-lasagna/

It’s a very very rich sauce so I added a bag of spinach and a tin of black beans.

Served, as always, with a garlic pitta. Heavy on the garlic.

Next time I’d use a chick pea or lentil pasta rather than breaking up lasagne sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Chick pieces ( Iceland, soy based ) jalfrezi.
    I fried pieces in cumin and tumeric.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

First attempt at a nut roast and well...it kinda fell apart. :pac: But it still tasted delicious.
    I put too much vegetable stock in and maybe didn't pack it down enough?
    Also didn't really follow the recipe :pac: had no green lentils so weighed up replacing them with red lentils, yellow split peas or mung dal went for the mung dal because it's been sitting in my press for about a year and I never know what to do with it. :D
    But sure, it tasted good even it it was in a pile rather than a slice.

Too full now for pancakes though :(

^^
    Looks fab.
    I've only had nut roast twice but really enjoyed them. Very tasty but the store bought ones are too small for my appetite.

Mung dal, what a coincidence. I spotted it over on the Food thread earlier today with aloo paratha and jotted down some ingredients for my next Tesco shop ( Dunnes not great for ingredients. They definitely won't have hing spice. Tesco might struggle with that too tbh ).

A light breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I made a load of this last night

https://deliciouslyella.com/recipes/coconut-lentil-dahl/

but used yellow split peas instead of green lentils, and replaced one of the cans of coconut milk with a can of mutti tomatoes. Also put in a load of chillies and peppers and onions. And didn't use the spices she suggests, just used a few dollaps of Patak's curry paste that I had in the press.
    So actually I didn't really make her recipe at all but you get the idea!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!

I made a large pot of this, too, last night - I'm not a fan of lentils, I hate the black pepper-like flavour they have, but I had a bag of brown lentils in the press and I really didn't want to throw them out. I mis-read the instructions, though, so I ended up boiling them in water before I started the recipe. I couldn't find my jars of turmeric, korma or curry, so I added garam masala and an extra pinch of celery salt and garlic powder to the fresh garlic. I used coconut butter to fry the spices. No chillies or anything hot because I don't like food that bites me back when I eat it. One jar of good quality peeled tomatoes and one of full fat coconut milk. It was delicious yesterday, it's heavenly today. This is going to become ons of my staples recipes, from now on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

vegan sushi platter + Mochi.

IplhnGVl.jpg

PqMT2RTl.jpg

wjJEdEnl.jpg

qp8aEOYl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

New Home wrote: »
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!

Yeah I don't have the correct spices now but if you just use any Patak's curry paste it works well too.
    I use yellow split peas instead of lentils too, I love them.
    Glad you liked it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Yeah I don't have the correct spices now but if you just use any Patak's curry paste it works well too.

I love the Patak's Balti & Madras sauces.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've made it twice so far, using different spices each time (combinations of whatever I had in the press). I had no cumin seeds, but the second time I added some fennel seeds, only I overdid it a little. Still delicious, though, and it's incredible how much the overall flavour changes depending on the spices used. It's very, very filling, too!

Thumbs up, big time!

Mixed leaf salad ( with red kidney beans,  red onion,  beetroot,  sauerkraut,  tomatoes,  black olives, avocado, sweetcorn,  Koko cheese, dried herbs ) and spinach and white bean Girasoli ( Dunnes). Dressed using tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic and balsamic vinegar and nutritional yeast.

Beans and peas and veg. Simples.
    Cranberry and mint sauce,  red onion chutney and nooch in the gravy.
    Lovely.
    No pigs lived in a nightmare existence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 riponhassan

A lacy soft hoppers (appam) with vegetable stew. I love them. Very popular you can make it easily. Popular breakfast food but goes super in dinner as well. A good recipe for this soft hoppers
    https://www.hassanchef.com/2021/03/appam-recipe.html?m=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A lacy soft hoppers (appam) with vegetable stew. I love them. Very popular you can make it easily. Popular breakfast food but goes super in dinner as well. A good recipe for this soft hoppers
    https://www.hassanchef.com/2021/03/appam-recipe.html?m=1

Is it like dosa?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

2021-04-03-19-37-31.jpg

Taco Fries -

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

65535 wrote: »
    Taco Fries -

Yum! Taco fries for the win!

I love pinto with chilli rather than kidney beans, but they are the one bean that do funny things to my insides!
    So I usually use black beans for all things Mexican.

Funnily enough, I tend not to use kidney beans that much, even though they seem to be the most popular.
    Maybe in a salad with green beans and onion. That's a nice side with a potato.

Lunch rather than dinner. Made some potato farls, sriracha baked beans, caramelised red onion and some Rudd’s veggie black and white pudding. Really, really good. Big fan of the Rudd’s puddings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Those Rudd's Pudds are excellent!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Small bit of Indian food tonight for the housemates.

Aloo Gobi, Dhansak with Tofu and chickpea and potato Madras.

Naan filled with nigella seeds and brushed with garlic oil and potato and pea filled samosas, served with mango chutney and soy Raita.

Washed down with a can of Jaipur.

Vegan sushi

Smoked salmon made from carrots
    Tuna sashimi made from beetroot
    Spicy tuna rolls made with blanched tomato

Served with a spicy peanut sauce, soy dipping sauce, wasabi aioli and some pickled ginger.

Poke bowls with homemade peanut rayu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Poke bowls with homemade peanut rayu

That looks lovely !!! Ummm

Forgot to take a picture! But I made this today
    https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingredient-vegan-red-lentil-bolognese/

Absolutely fab. I didn't use red wine as I never have wine here but worth putting wine in next time based on comments.

Spicy chickpea wrap and some potatoes that could have done with a bit more time crisping up in the oven :)

Wrap idea/recipe from here for the chickpea mix.
    https://runningonrealfood.com/spicy-chickpea-wraps/#tasty-recipes-11075

I didn't use avocado as it is disgusting or spinach as I have none :D But also had chopped peppers, cherry tomatoes and grated carrot in the mix and some lettuce in place of spinach. I do not generally like chickpeas as I find the texture awful but nice mashed up in the wrap like this.

I use one tin of chickpeas and 3 tbsp of Sriracha. Could still use more spice. :)

IMG-9221-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Forgot to take a picture! But I made this today
    https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingredient-vegan-red-lentil-bolognese/

Absolutely fab. I didn't use red wine as I never have wine here but worth putting wine in next time based on comments.

One of my favourites. I also love her banana bread and lentil curry.

Advertisement