Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXI-187,554 ROI (2,970 deaths) 100,319 NI (1,730 deaths)(24/01)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    So apparently the government caved to pressure and will reopen special needs schooling next week. This is an absolute disaster for families of staff and students with vulnerable people. I really hope my 73 year old mother isn't pressured into allowing my brother back in school for fear of losing his place. Absolutely ridiculous that this government continually ignores NPHET advice for fear of bad publicity.
    I am absolutely sure that no one will be forced to attend a school or daycare if they are not happy with the arrangements in place

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Positivity rates is at 2% in nursing homes.

Anybody else baffled and shocked by this??

Not shocked, was reported in recent days that they had been asking close contact health workers to return to work before the end of isolation period. That has been happening in some areas since mid December. They had a policy where management were applying a "derogation" where the first swab was negative.

There's good reasons why the HSE gets sued a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am absolutely sure that no one will be forced to attend a school or daycare if they are not happy with the arrangements in place

You have to be careful refusing places as it can effect future entitlements. There is also the issue that it can place funding pressures on service providers, most of whom are fulfilling tendered contracts for the government, as they can be in breach of the tender provisions.

It's a ridiculous decision regardless. It's far better to wait a few months till levels are lower. I think it's frankly unfair on staff to have to take such a risk, especially with students who likely cannot comply with social distancing and mask wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Miike wrote: »
    Can you link the source article please? :)

Hidden nicely in here

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0114/1189739-vaccine-numbers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

3,854 out of 28,178 test, 13.68%

Almost exactly the same raw number as yesterday, pure coinkeedink.

7-day down to 15.97%

14-day number has dropped for the first time in forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Nope, we've known for a long time that a lot of the covid hospitalised numbers are people that picked it up while already in the hospital for something else.

And yet we have people complaining about some hospital services being curtailed due to high numbers during a highly contagious epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I knew the number was high but I didn't think it would be 50%. Fúck me alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

seamus wrote: »

Progress seems to have stalled a bit. Hope to see a fall in the positivity rate over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Far more tests, slightly less positives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Progress seems to have stalled a bit. Hope to see a fall in the positivity rate over the next couple of days.

It's actually bang on what I would have expected.

The trend tends to be that Tuesday is a drop, Wednesday bumps up, Thursday matches Tuesday, then it drops again each day until the following Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

7-day down to 16.46%

0.001% change in positive swab numbers from yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Miike wrote: »
    I knew the number was high but I didn't think it would be 50%. Fúck me alive!

I know I'm exaggerating, but if they had done antibody testing on staff they might not have had to vaccinate many of them as there's every chance that the ratio of patient acquired Covid is equal to the rate of staff acquired, within the hospital setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You have to be careful refusing places as it can effect future entitlements. There is also the issue that it can place funding pressures on service providers, most of whom are fulfilling tendered contracts for the government, as they can be in breach of the tender provisions.

It's a ridiculous decision regardless. It's far better to wait a few months till levels are lower. I think it's frankly unfair on staff to have to take such a risk, especially with students who likely cannot comply with social distancing and mask wearing.

I am sure your mum could say your brother was unwell and unable to attend in that case

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Im pretty sure today's swab numbers include a big set of mass testing from nursing homes (2% positivity).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Sconsey wrote: »
    0.001% change in positive swab numbers from yesterday!

And nearly 4k more tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭fits

He is. He attends a service and gets educational supports there.

Then this is nothing to do with him. My boys services are under dept of health not education and i suspect your brother is the same.

My boy was in last June and some of July and it was absolutely 100% optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Even if the HSE were perfect it'd be very difficult to contain covid within an hospital outbreak. We all know the HSE is far from perfect so outbreaks in the hospital are inevitable and become more and more likely the more pressure on the system. Don't forget too the duration of this pandemic and the accumulated effects of decision fatigue on staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am sure your mum could say your brother was unwell and unable to attend in that case

My sister (adult) has Special Needs and in normal times attends a service. She has not been there since March 2020 and won't be going back until she is vaccinated. The service have assured my elderly Mum that her place will be there for her when she is ready. They ring every couple of months to touch base with my Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭fits

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My sister (adult) has Special Needs and in normal times attends a service. She has not been there since March 2020 and won't be going back until she is vaccinated. The service have assured my elderly Mum that her place will be there for her when she is ready. They ring every couple of months to touch base with my Mum.

I’d just like to point out again. Adult day services are under a completely different dept. Nothing to do with dept of education

( afaik at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It's actually bang on what I would have expected.

The trend tends to be that Tuesday is a drop, Wednesday bumps up, Thursday matches Tuesday, then it drops again each day until the following Tuesday.

I hope that trend continues but with close contacts not being tested yet we may be in for a bumpy time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yesterday was 3,932?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Yeah very disappointing tbh

Akabusi wrote: »
    I hope that trend continues but with close contacts not being tested yet we may be in for a bumpy time.
    Reid said they want to get back to it soon but only when the positivity rates fall.

Anecdotally hearing of many contacts with no symptoms getting tested. Capacity must be freeing up and GP's putting them through anyway

is_that_so wrote: »
    Reid said they want to get back to it soon but only when the positivity rates fall.

I wonder what they want it below - 10%? I think the sooner we can get testing close contacts the sooner we can get the cases down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

7-day down to 16.46%

They amended the overall total upwards by about 300 over the last week. Any idea why that was?

I keep track of daily swabs and the numbers have definitely changed!

Akabusi wrote: »
    I wonder what they want it below - 10%? I think the sooner we can get testing close contacts the sooner we can get the cases down.
    Who knows?! That was all he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

no one should be disheartened, positive rate seems to be falling nicely, hopefully be below 10% by early next week, huge amount of tests in last 24 hours

• Advertisement

Anecdotally hearing of many contacts with no symptoms getting tested. Capacity must be freeing up and GP's putting them through anyway

Off course, it won't be a percentage figure they are aiming for as such - it will be when they have the capacity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement