Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article in today's SBP, Two state aid complaints lodged against National Broadband Plan

One of the complainants is understood to be an existing broadband operator angered by the government’s failure to take its own network into account

The state's multibillion-euro National Broadband Plan is the subject of two state aid complaints lodged with the European Commission, the Business Post can reveal.

It is understood one complaint centres, in part, on the mapping exercise conducted by the Department of Communications to determine the areas in which the subsidised broadband network would be deployed.

A source said the complainant was an existing broadband operator, which is is believed to have complained over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

beya2009 wrote: »
    But when I used our neighbors eircode that are next to us although their house much closer to the newline road where as ours due to very long avenue is not. They had 2 options available:
    VDSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) - Please check with our sales team or check.
    Fibre to the Home (150-1000 Mbit/s) - Available

Seems unlikely that you would have been included in the Eircom 300K (FTTH) concession back in April 2017 because that only extended 50M from the centreline of the road.

And unlikely that Eircom would have volunteered to connect your house since then, seeing as it's 200M from the road - and expensive to do. So it's a mystery how the blue area was ever extended to your home.

The Cush wrote: »
    Article in today's SNP, Two state aid complaints lodged against National Broadband Plan

Hard to see how they can make progress. The Commission would have to review all the mapping data and come to a different conclusion than the Department/Analysys Mason.

If complainants hadn't supplied requested data to the Department, they'd be on shaky ground.

btw the Lighthouse/Lightnet case is still bumbling along in the High Court also. Due for mention again on 8th of December.

clohamon wrote: »
    btw the Lighthouse/Lightnet case is still bumbling along in the High Court also. Due for mention again on 8th of December.

Can you briefly outline what the issue is here, hadn't followed the case.

Can you briefly outline what the issue is here, hadn't followed the case.

It's the same thing - exclusion/mapping and that the Department failed to show up for a meeting.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30982275.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

It's the same thing - exclusion/mapping and that the Department failed to show up for a meeting.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30982275.html

I live in a area covered by Lightnet and speaking to some of my neighbours who have them they are all complaining of very bad speeds and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just speaking to my neighbours, they’ve spotted the crews installing some sort of cable in Rochestown, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Falconire wrote:
    I live in a area covered by Lightnet and speaking to some of my neighbours who have them they are all complaining of very bad speeds and service.

yeah it's just the usual "please dont take away our monopoly" grievance

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

"One of the complainants is understood to be an existing broadband operator angered by the government’s failure to take its own network into account"

Imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Falconire wrote: »

Am a happy Lightnet customers for more that ten years, a few neighbours also have it, now of course it is not as fast a getting fibre into the house, but it's a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

"One of the complainants is understood to be an existing broadband operator angered by the government’s failure to take its own network into account"

Imagine?

You can bet your bottom dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Seems unlikely that you would have been included in the Eircom 300K (FTTH) concession back in April 2017 because that only extended 50M from the centreline of the road.

And unlikely that Eircom would have volunteered to connect your house since then, seeing as it's 200M from the road - and expensive to do. So it's a mystery how the blue area was ever extended to your home.

Yeah that's unlucky for us...if our home was much closer to the road we might be in luck. I will make contact to those providers you mentioned and hopefully we get lucky. Satellite broadband really sucks lol Thank you for all your help:)

NBI has published its Bitstream and VUA Technical Manual - https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Bitstream-and-VUA-Product-Technical-Manual-v1.1.1.pdf

The ONT they are using is a Nokia XS-010X-A

NBI has published a revised version of its Bitstream and VUA Technical Manual - https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Bitstream-and-VUA-Product-Technical-Manual-v2.0_CLEAN.pdf

Revised Nokia XS-010X-Q ONT with technical specs

Nokia-XS-010-X-Q.jpg

ONT Technical Specification

Nokia XS-010X-Q

Physical (Height, width, and length dimensions)
    • Height: 3.0 cm (1.18 in)
    • Width: 13.5 cm (5.31 in)
    • Length: 13.5 cm (5.31 in)
    • Weight: 0.366kg (0.81 lb)

Power requirements
    • 12 VDC /1A
    • Power consumption: <8.6 W

Operating environment
    • Temperature (ambient): -5°C to 45°C (23°F to 113°F)
    • Relative humidity: 5% to 95%, non-condensing

XGS PON uplinks
    • Wavelength: 1260 nm–1280 nm upstream; 1575 nm–1580 nm downstream
    • G.9807.1 XGS PON standards compliant: 4 dBm ~ 9 dBm launch power; -28 dBm ~ -9 dBm for receiving
    • SC/APC connector
    • 10G burst mode upstream transmitter
    • 10G downstream receiver
    • G.9807.1-compliant 10 GPON Encapsulation Method (XGEM) framing
    • Flexible mapping between XGEM ports and T-CONT
    • Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128
    • Forward Error Correction (FEC)
    • Activation with automatic discovered serial number and password

Ethernet interfaces
    • One LAN 100 M/1 G/2.5 G/5 G/10 G Base-T interface with RJ-45 connector
    • Ethernet port auto-negotiation or manual configuration with Medium Dependent Interface / Medium Dependent Interface Crossover (MDI/ MDIX)
    • Virtual switch based on IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN (VLAN)
    • VLAN stacking (Q-in-Q) and VLAN translation
    • CoS based on VLAN ID, 802.1p bit
    • IGMP v2/v3 snooping

Operations, administration, and maintenance (OA&M)
    • Standard compliant OMCI (the embedded operations channel) interface as defined by ITU-T G.984.4 and ITU-T G.988
    • Supports local WebGUI for the ONU authentication password configuration from the LAN side
    • Management Information Base (MIB) manipulation over OMCI with create, delete, set, get, and get next commands
    • Alarm reporting and performance monitoring
    • Remote software image download over OMCI, as well as activation and rebooting
    • Supports Subscriber Line Identifier (SLID) using WebGUI

LEDs
    • Power
    • PON
    • Alarm
    • Data

RJ-45 LEDs
    • Mode/Status
    • Link/Carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Imagine?
    Ardent wrote: »
    You can bet your bottom dollar.

Can't exactly take their mapping into account, they continue to say our house is supplied by their network despite them coming out here and confirming it hasn't even the faintest of signal at our location.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Hopefully we'll all see Imagine and they're shady business practices slowly disappear over the coming years. I'm also hoping that Lightnet does not mess up my chances at getting a connection in my area with all of their anti-competitive whinging. I'm all for competition to help consumers but what they do is not friendly to any consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

NBI van in Clonlara (near Limerick) today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Surveying underway in Meath from what I can see. At least my area is being surveyed.

Tentative date is January-March 2022 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Are we doing bets for the date of the first speed test from a boardsie. I'll say 25th Nov.

Nolars wrote: »
    Are we doing bets for the date of the first speed test from a boardsie. I'll say 25th Nov.

Do you know something we don't!? I really hope you do! I'm going to be less optimistic and say around the 10th of January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is this the second batch of areas for Limerick? Thought Limerick already was surveyed in the initial phase.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1323735713695805441

How many counties are left without surveying now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

TheSegal wrote:
    Do you know something we don't!? I really hope you do! I'm going to be less optimistic and say around the 10th of January

No im down for dec - Feb so just hoping they are on the ball tbh

joe123 wrote: »
    Is this the second batch of areas for Limerick? Thought Limerick already was surveyed in the initial phase.

The outskirts of Limerick city was done earlier this year, I saw vans around the Annacotty area to name but one.

baz9375 wrote: »
    He said: “I would be very confident that it does meet all State aid requirements. There was a clear market gap, a real difficulty in terms of certain areas of the country not getting it, the market not delivering.
    “People are entitled to take any cases they like to the EU commission, but I don’t see it stopping us. I don’t expect it [will] and hopefully it won’t affect the rollout of the plan.”

There's usually a period within which the complaint must be recognised or not by the Commission. Interesting to know when the complaints were actually made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

There's usually a period within which the complaint must be recognised or not by the Commission. Interesting to know when the complaints were actually made.

Dail hearing the whole thing on the ground is a shambles, Surveying incorrect and 80 % of Sub Contractors walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

Wing126 wrote: »
    Surveying underway in Meath from what I can see. At least my area is being surveyed.

Tentative date is January-March 2022 :(

Where in Meath are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

df02169 wrote: »
    Where in Meath are you?

Julianstown area!

TimHorton wrote: »
    Dail hearing the whole thing on the ground is a shambles, Surveying incorrect and 80 % of Sub Contractors walking away.

80% of contractors walking away from the NBP or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

TimHorton wrote: »

What? 80% of sub contractors walking away and surveys being incorrect? This sounds a bit mental. Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

joe123 wrote: »
    What? 80% of sub contractors walking away and surveys being incorrect? This sounds a bit mental. Where did you hear this?

https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1324329361256910848?s=20

Now
    @MichaelFitzmau1
    raising broadband Said there have been stand offs with people who put up poles Said 80% of contractors gone off site cos surveys are wrong. Asks what gov doing to ensure oversight Says main contract is being subbed down and down again #leadersquestions

Advertisement