Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

a clanger wrote: »
    I've ordered a laptop PSU from ebay and will take your advice with regard to using the back switch as a 12V on/off. It will be generally be a spit/bodge and tape job but will see how it goes. I think there is now a market for repairing Tiviar PSU's ......if you are interested hs5424:D

It's now 9.30 pm and just finished dinner so that tells you how busy I am. I have to try and get back to doing some workshop repairs. Maybe the next few days will
    suit as the weather forecast is bad. If I get a chance I will take a look at the Tiviar PSU's and see if something pops up. Probably ****ty chinese capacitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Why would Korea use chinese capacitors.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Why would Korea use chinese capacitors.

Price.
    I bought what I thought was original Briggs & Stratton USA spares recently and stamped on them was MADE IN CHINA

I remember the early zgemma models of inferior build quality made in a back shed and was told to buy a better made box from Korea.

I remember the early zgemma models of inferior build quality made in a back shed and was told to buy a better made box from Korea.

Almost all TV's sold here in Ireland with the exception of LG, Samsung, and Sony come out of the Vestel factory in Turkey. Panasonic, Hitachi, Sanyo, Walker, Nordmende, Bush etc etc. A few years back I requested a schematic diagram for a Hitachi TV from the suppliers. When it arrived printed across the top was Vestel.
    Some of the phillips were a mixture of Phillips and Samsung panels. Now Phillips have a range of hotel TV's made in China. I picked up a new car battery recently and as the business owner carried it out to my van he told me to grab a label from the box beside them. There were labels that read Exide, Dagenam, Bosch, Yuasa, Continental etc etc. It's not as it appears out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blueboggirl

Hi, new to these types of boxes, if anyone has one can help?
    My menu button on remote is not bringing up an app screen (which should have access to settings) instead I get a very basic menu with 'info, timers, plugins, set-up, standby) When in epg, menu just brings up graphical changes
    My pause live TV doesn't work, and the manual I have downloaded says I need to open SETTINGS >CONFIGURATION and change then change something to auto for pause live TV. Well I can't, as my menu/box doesn't seem to have an app screen.
    When I'm epg, above the listing are 7 icons, one is a spanner, which could be a settings BUT I cannot work out on the remote how to get up there, up/down keys will only scroll listings!
    Where am I going wrong!?

Post up what image is on box as might help also in determing if it needs to be reflashed to a newer version.

Post up what image is on box as might help also in determing if it needs to be reflashed to a newer version.

I'm really not savvy with this, trying to learn fast. No idea what the image is? Quick look at thread, and I'm over my head. How do i determine or see what image I have. I could do with a tiviar for dummies book

Current image I think

Its just trying to see if any mention of fortis,openvix or openatv which are all different types of image that can run on your box.
    Stay calm and dont rush it and you will get better in using this box.

As from your image it is Atv 6.0 which is old and later version is 6.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Just as a followup I have replaced the faulty power board with a 12V 60W laptop psu I got on Amazon. Everything seems to be normal now. No rebooting and switching off randomly. Powers on straight away. Thanks to all for the pointers esp hs5424 and Newclareman

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

a clanger wrote: »
    Just as a followup I have replaced the faulty power board with a 12V 60W laptop psu I got on Amazon. Everything seems to be normal now. No rebooting and switching off randomly. Powers on straight away. Thanks to all for the pointers esp hs5424 and Newclareman

Thx. Do you have a link to that PSU in Amazon?
    Any tips on how to replace?

The power supply I bought was THIS one ......you have to buy a KETTLE or Computer lead as well as the PSU does not come supplied with one

I also bought THESE so I wouldn't have to butcher the PSU cable

I used THESE to fix the PSU to the case. I had a 24 hour test and the PSU does not heat up to the same extent of the old power supply

and finally used THESE for all wiring connections

I did not need a soldering iron or anything more than a wire strippers /pliers and some extra wire I scavanged.

I did keep the on/off switch at the back as per hs5424's recommendation and wired it as an on/off for the 12V not the mains. This is to prevent a possible power surge on the 12V circuit when plugging in.

I'd rather not put up pictures here as I'm not prepared for scorn that would be rightly poured on my efforts but send me a PM and I can send you some pictures.

Total repair bill about €22 and about 2 hours of my time below is an image of the rear of the box now.....so mains AC is now 'hardwired' onto the Tiviar. This again was to avoid any butchering of the presupplied PSU cables

@ a clanger no mention of changing fuse in kettle lead from 13amp down to 5amp or 3 amp would be worth adding in.

@ a clanger no mention of changing fuse in kettle lead from 13amp down to 5amp or 3 amp would be worth adding in.

Thanks good spot ! ...yes I did fit a 3amp. I had to remove and replace original kettle lead plug to thread it through the rear of the box.

Current image I think

Go on to Openvix website and download the latest Vix image for your box. They have the instructions also on how to flash the Vix image. You will need to have it on a usb stick. The box will detect it on switch on and do the rest. Might seem a bit daunting the first time but after you have setup about 50 of these it will be no problem to you. When you get there we can help you setup the EPG guides etc .

Brilliant, thank you so much. I will get onto that ASAP, a great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Throwing this up there to see if there's anything interest. My previous boards username was the high horse brigade btw :D

I have a Tiviar Alpha triple combo with 500GB sata and 8gb usb key (remote never used) and an Edison os nino combo with 8gb usb key (remote never used) that are setup identically, same openatv 6.2 image, same skin, same everything except the Tiviar has the extra tuner and HDD. I'm considering selling them to clear space because I have a better setup using IPTV and Tivimate and won't be replacing my rusty dish when it fails (soon!). Asking €250 for both, drop me a PM if you're interested

Thanks to your help, I'm chuffed I've flashed the box with openvix.
    How do I set up my epg, currently only have irish channels,showing.id like an epg which shows both English and Irish channels?
    Can I also set something up to give me series record?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Thanks to your help, I'm chuffed I've flashed the box with openvix.
    How do I set up my epg, currently only have irish channels,showing.id like an epg which shows both English and Irish channels?
    Can I also set something up to give me series record?
    If you know the network address for the box (192.168.xxx.xxx) enter it into any web browser to launch the WEBIF function. From there you can edit/create different bouquets (channel lists), set timers, create autotimers (series linking) and much much more.

If you are looking at the EPG on the box there is usually a coloured button to make an autotimer. I don't know the exact colour for Vix. In some cases it is just a long press on the normal timer coloured button.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thank you so much. I will get onto that ASAP, a great help!

Great.
    Now download and install dreambox edit on your PC. This will allow you edit all the channels using this tool and send it to the box. I can send you my FTA list that I install on all the boxes that are being used for FTA channels. PM me your email if you want.
    Also, series link recording doesn't work. If you select auto timer it will record that program at that time every day even if the program is no longer broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

hs5424 wrote: »
    Also, series link recording doesn't work. If you select auto timer it will record that program at that time every day even if the program is no longer broadcast.

Not sure what you mean by that. Autotimer works by searching for keywords in the EPG titles and then refines the search to the time(s), day(s) and channel(s) you want.

If you know the network address for the box (192.168.xxx.xxx) enter it into any web browser to launch the WEBIF function. From there you can edit/create different bouquets (channel lists), set timers, create autotimers (series linking) and much much more.

If you are looking at the EPG on the box there is usually a coloured button to make an autotimer. I don't know the exact colour for Vix. In some cases it is just a long press on the normal timer coloured button.

Brilliant, I've managed to create a bouquet with all the channels I want, to create the one epg, I've the English and Irish channels in it, but only the irish channels are loading data or information in the epg? Any ideas where I'm going wrong?
    I've tried another separate bouquet for satellite English channels, and they aren't loading information in the epg either?
    Cheers

hs5424 wrote: »
    Great.
    Now download and install dreambox edit on your PC. This will allow you edit all the channels using this tool and send it to the box. I can send you my FTA list that I install on all the boxes that are being used for FTA channels. PM me your email if you want.

I will have a go at this now, it's all new to me. Having issues with the openwebif, no data was loading for English channels.
    Will pm email, cheers

Try this channel plan.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxnus6pxwl7o6st/AAApXE5wHrf7Lx59hwB59pKla?dl=0

If the above appear as individual files they should all be in one folder. Call it anything like my tiviar channels. If unsuccessful I will try some other method in sending.
    You may need to right click on the dropbox link and download it. It may show as one folder then.

With openvix i would run AutobouquetMaker which keeps channels upto date and use the blue button for access.

Do you have a hdd or large usb to store stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

When recording saorview channel on TA box tonight, I was unable to watch any other saorview channels. Message said no tuner free.

I have saorview feed into TA box and rf out cable from box to aerial input on tv. The tv has a built in saorview tuner. I thought I woulf have had no problem recording one saorview channel while watching another with my setup. Is there a particular setting I should be applying to the TA box?

If you record saorview on box you cannot view another on box but should be able to use tv.
    Or get a splitter and feed box and tv and then they have their own feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

If you record saorview on box you cannot view another on box but should be able to use tv.
    Or get a splitter and feed box and tv and then they have their own feeds.

it has just dawned on me now that I need to use tv remote to switch tv source from HDMI (fed from TA box) to saorview feed. The tv is only looking to the HDMI feed from the TA box at the minute which only has its own single tuner available to it. This is annoying!..trying to use one remote only as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Havung a bit of trouble. Not sure if hard ware or software. Hope someone can shed a light.

A few weeks ago I hit "record" for something. Got message saying "Cannot record. Hard drive full", despite there being over 400G free out of a TB. I'd do a reboot and everything would be fine. It's starting to happen a bit more often. As well as that the picons and EGP info are only coming up for some channels.

Advertisement