Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Coincidentally I just spotted this on Twitter...
    https://twitter.com/ArranBolger/status/1285705051260977156?s=19
    He may have the setting on 'fastest' rather than 'shortest'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... they're doing some interesting biodiversity projects in st ita's.
    That another way of describing the HSE's cuts to gardening budgets. :pac:

(About 20 years ago they wouldn't buy diesel for the tractors/mowers. We had lots of bio-diversity then.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

EDIT: MB did you notice if the farm was open to the public or not at Newbridge House?
    both the farm and house are open. i was surprised re the latter, but the guided tour there is excellent (did it about 5 or 10 years ago)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I too got sunburned yesterday and I wore suncrean. Just on my thigh where the bibs end though.

Also Newbridge house zoo, I believe it is open yes. Nephew got to visit and see animals last week

Great, something to do with the kids one of the days. Only a half hour away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out for a spin, legs tired, spotted this beside a skip. happy with that, it's a dawes echelon, probably late 70s, 531 frame. missing seatpost & saddle, handlebars, and left crank (i am guessing at the bottom of the skip but wasn't dedicated enough to go looking cos they'd probably have been crushed or damaged beyond repair anyway)
    arse, i have just realised that the frame is damaged. looks like someone put in a seatpost that was too narrow and cinched the clamp so tightly that the seat tube has been compressed and creased slightly. not sure how much faff that would be to try to undo, if at all worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

arse, i have just realised that the frame is damaged. looks like someone put in a seatpost that was too narrow and cinched the clamp so tightly that the seat tube has been compressed and creased slightly. not sure how much faff that would be to try to undo, if at all worth trying.

Pictures?

this is probably the clearest shot i got from behind - you can see where the metal has bulged and torn (down and to the left) for a few mm at the bottom of the slot cut for the seatpost adjustment.

520810.jpg

the right hand side part of the clamp has been pulled inboard.
    i suspect someone had difficulty getting the seatpost in or out at some point too - i've ringed two sections of minor damage (not too concerning really) here - top bit could be som scuffs from a wayward angle grinder, and there's a bit of a bend in the flaring at the very top of the seatstay, maybe someone levered against it:

520811.jpg

finally, looking down the tube, you can see a slightly polished area (again, ringed) - this is a hump or a heel and seems to be the transition between where the seat tube goes from its proper diameter to the reduced diameter. anything including and above that would need to be restored to the original diameter.

520812.jpg

dept of education have ceased accepting BTW applications 'to support efforts to control the spread of covid-19'
    there was me assuming that accelerating applications for the BTW scheme would 'support efforts to control the spread of covid-19'.

https://twitter.com/EoinBreathnach/status/1285870345585668096

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

dept of education have ceased accepting BTW applications 'to support efforts to control the spread of covid-19'
    there was me assuming that accelerating applications for the BTW scheme would 'support efforts to control the spread of covid-19'.

https://twitter.com/EoinBreathnach/status/1285870345585668096

That's nuts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

this is probably the clearest shot i got from behind - you can see where the metal has bulged and torn (down and to the left) for a few mm at the bottom of the slot cut for the seatpost adjustment.

520810.jpg

the right hand side part of the clamp has been pulled inboard.
    i suspect someone had difficulty getting the seatpost in or out at some point too - i've ringed two sections of minor damage (not too concerning really) here - top bit could be som scuffs from a wayward angle grinder, and there's a bit of a bend in the flaring at the very top of the seatstay, maybe someone levered against it:

520811.jpg

finally, looking down the tube, you can see a slightly polished area (again, ringed) - this is a hump or a heel and seems to be the transition between where the seat tube goes from its proper diameter to the reduced diameter. anything including and above that would need to be restored to the original diameter.

520812.jpg

Have you tried a seat post in it? The tear in the steel in the first picture could conceivably be remedied if you have a welder (mig, I'd imagine, not stick)

Overall, what sort of condition is the frame in otherwise?

apart from the above, it's in decent nick enough nick from what i can see. the rust pictured above is as bad as it gets. the BB in it morve freely enough and the headset seems OK, moves freely and i guess is just a bit dry and needs to be tightened a smidgen.
    i will get the calipers to it tomorrow to get a better idea of the working diameter of the tube.

i didn't mention - but it's visible in the last photo - there's metal swarf captured in the slot down the tube. i don't know whether someone sawed the slot wider, or possibly it's left over from someone cutting an aluminium seatpost out of the frame. i suspect it'd have corroded more if it was steel swarf though.

the main issue with it is the size, i've a friend who's 6' or 6'1" i think, and standing over it, he'd only maybe an inch clearance over the top tube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the way into work today it was wetter than usual but I was surprised to see a Lifeguard vehicle overtake me, it really was not that bad.

cletus wrote: »
    Have you tried a seat post in it?
    according to my cheapo calipers, the inner diameter of the tube is now about 26.5mm at its narrowest, but there's a variation of over half a mil between its front to back and side to side width.
    i wonder if it's a 27.2mm standard so, in which case it's probably not quite as bad as i had feared. maybe someone tried to fit a 26.6 or 26.2mm seatpost to it.

edit: the specific model itself is not listed here, but there is a dawes 531 framed tandem listed at 27mm.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html

also note that a company called cove once made a bike called the handjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html

also note that a company called cove once made a bike called the handjob.

Sure Planet X made a bike called Pompino, means blow job in Italian slang!

Some live racing here www.ciclism.sibiu.ro prologue of the Sibiu Tour in Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

New cyclist here, had my first encounter with a driver. Driver tried to beep me off the road for not using a nearby bike lane (it was unaccessible based on my road position ie massive kerb in the way and I didn't want to stop to lift my bike in moving traffic)

It was good craic telling him off :pac:

conor dunne obviously expecting a cheque from failte ireland in the post after this:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

conor dunne obviously expecting a cheque from failte ireland in the post after this:
    I'm liking the Irish GCN jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Never knew that happened! Gonna have a listen, thanks Harry.
    CI was born during that time, must have been part of it all (I know it was super rare to have an All island sport at the time, and it was hard to get the groups together).

There's a TG4 documentary on the history of the Ras which deals with those events too. Been years since I saw it though, have been meaning to try to track down a copy, to see if my wife's uncle gets a mention. He'd have been involved pre the Olympic shenanigans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

eeeee wrote: »
    Never knew that happened! Gonna have a listen, thanks Harry.
    CI was born during that time, must have been part of it all (I know it was super rare to have an All island sport at the time, and it was hard to get the groups together).

Took until 1987 for the FIC (Federation of Irish cyclists) to actually come about.
    They were the precursor to CI.
    Anyone at the recent infamous PMQ EGM will tell you that passions regarding that were alive and well even then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

There's a TG4 documentary on the history of the Ras which deals with those events too. Been years since I saw it though, have been meaning to try to track down a copy, to see if my wife's uncle gets a mention. He'd have been involved pre the Olympic shenanigans.

Rás Tailteann – Rotha an tSaoil

If you really want a copy, you could maybe contact Dot TV or Sonta Teoranta who produced it. DOT are in Clare somewhere.

Won an award in 2013 afaik.

Managed to trip over a rug earlier and proper smash my knee into a the edge of a coffee table and get sprawled on top of it length ways. Picked myself up and looked at the deep horizontal indent waiting for it to split and piss blood. It didn't thankfully but seriously thought I was heading for the hospital for a while. The eldest ran for the phone to call mam while the youngest asked why I fell. "I wasn't watching where I was going love", "you need to be more careful, don't hurt the other one, will I kiss it better?" (She's only 2)

Anyway it still hurts like **** even after a beer or 3 but herself checked it for me when she got home from work and doesn't think it needs looking at but goes to show you can properly do yourself in at home :rolleyes:

No spin for me in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Managed to trip over a rug earlier and proper smash my knee into a the edge of a coffee table and get sprawled on top of it length ways. Picked myself up and looked at the deep horizontal indent waiting for it to split and piss blood. It didn't thankfully but seriously thought I was heading for the hospital for a while. The eldest ran for the phone to call mam while the youngest asked why I fell. "I wasn't watching where I was going love", "you need to be more careful, don't hurt the other one, will I kiss it better?" (She's only 2)

Anyway it still hurts like **** even after a beer or 3 but herself checked it for me when she got home from work and doesn't think it needs looking at but goes to show you can properly do yourself in at home :rolleyes:

No spin for me in the morning :(

If you can’t go for a spin then have more beer. At least when you wake up you won’t even feel like going out on the bike.

Sunday might be a better option ;)

Get some ice on it Enfilade, and support it on the couch. Although the best treatment was probably the kiss from the youngest!

It was actually quite comical her response to me falling and doing myself in. She simply repeated what I would have said to her after a bobo :D

It's sore today but really only a bother going up and down stairs. Could have been worse.

• Advertisement

It was actually quite comical her response to me falling and doing myself in. She simply repeated what I would have said to her after a bobo :D

It's sore today but really only a bother going up and down stairs. Could have been worse.

Awwww! That's adorable <3 I still await the Chronicles of the Enfilade clan.
    And the Chronicles of mini Cram.

Ye've had ages get to it! :P

Advertisement