Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ollie bridgewood has a cunning plan in that video - there were no rules explained to him that the vertical ascent all had to be on the one hill, so he picked two hills in a half pipe shape so he could carry his momentum from the descent of hill A onto hill B, no scrubbing speed for braking and turning the bike around.
    though it makes sense to rule that out.

one reason i would be wary of a partial ascent and descent is that GPS data on elevation is shaky (certainly with my cheapo garmin which has no barometric sensor) so elevation on a partial attempt could be inaccurate.

I presume we would use strava which we can set to correct, the other is, its a gamble, it could go for or against you.

This said, I actually have a better plan than Ollie, silly GCN presenters missing the far more obvious win.

eeeee wrote: »
    I need to find me a natural half-pipe :pac:

A U shaped valley perhaps? I know one that has Alp d'huez on one side :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A U shaped valley perhaps? I know one that has Alp d'huez on one side :D

Can you cycle there from Dublin?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ronan mclaughlin's everesting has been ratified.

https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/hill/3752235057

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd been hoping to go out and give that hour thing a lash this evening (with the goal of reaching 600m), but the weather forecast has taken a serious dive for this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

This lad cycled 3,500kms over 48 days from Aberdeen to Athens during the lockdown as he couldn't get a flight home. Fair play to him!

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/greek-college-student-bikes-home-48-days-trnd/index.html

i'd been hoping to go out and give that hour thing a lash this evening (with the goal of reaching 600m), but the weather forecast has taken a serious dive for this evening.
    btw, this is the one i was thinking of taking a crack at, in NCD; it's not especially steep but i like it. reasonably consistent gradient, and it's usually reasonably quiet and not twisty so the descent is reasonably fast.
    could be a bit steeper for this sort of lark though.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1197391

prevailing winds tend to be crosswinds though, it's reasonably rare you'd have a tailwind for the climb.

this is steeper, but less consistent gradient-wise - it kicks up to about 20% in spots, and i reckon is a bit steep for repeating for an hour (for me, anyway).
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4185815

Going to do mine on the 4th August. A few options available. 143m in 7 minutes including return seems my safest but toughest option. I could do 149 in 7.5m which divides evenly into the hour and gives something to push against.
    All I have to figure out is whether to start at the top or the bottom. Either way, Strava tends to over estimate times as it doesn't seem to consider you might be flogging yourself to death.

EDIT: If you have a few minutes left but are at the right elevation, I presume you can half cycle it and come back to it once done within the 60 minutes. Os if your ahead (or behind) schedule and you have 3 minutes left you could peg it up the hill for 2 minutes and turn around?

CramCycle wrote: »
    143m in 7 minutes including return seems my safest but toughest option.
    well, that's me comprehensively beaten anyway.
    i think my best ever on howth from the village is a shade over 7 minutes, which is less of a climb. i'd have trouble matching that, let alone repeating it several times.

i'd say the option to do a partial climb and return at the end makes the most sense. OS maps can be used for a sanity check against height gain if necessary.

i don't think starting with the descent makes sense - i'd want to use the descents for recovery, so the first would be 'wasted' if you tried that option?

i don't think starting with the descent makes sense - i'd want to use the descents for recovery, so the first would be 'wasted' if you tried that option?

Makes sense, particularly if you can do a partial climb and return on the last one, there is a risk you wouldn't make it back if you tried to squeeze a final one in at the end but if you are climbing and returning you can descend while on the limit.

Also basing this on Strava predicted times which underestimate me severely on a one off climb but maybe underestimate on a repeat at the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Go with a climb you know well

You'll find plenty similar studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5517464/

Go with a climb you know well

You'll find plenty similar studies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5517464/

I imagine I'll know it fairly well by the 6th time I go up it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

eeeee wrote: »
    I need to find me a natural half-pipe :pac:

The closest I can think of is the top of Cruagh Road past Zipit to the top, then turn around and up to Viewing Point. The only issue is the right turn onto Cruagh just before Zipit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The closest I can think of is the top of Cruagh Road past Zipit to the top, then turn around and up to Viewing Point. The only issue is the right turn onto Cruagh just before Zipit.

Oh I know the place.
    You have to slow down a good bit and stop in either direction though before heading out that road though really.

It's still a no from me :D
    #NoHillsOnTrack Unless I just went up and down the banking on track for an hour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronan mclaughlin has annhilated the irish everesting record, possibly fifth fastest in the world:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/mclaughlin-smashes-irish-everesting-record-on-mamore-top-5-in-world/
    On the Gap of Mamore! Sweet Jesus - that's one of the steepest roads in the country (if he did it from the northern side). I've tried it twice and had to do the walk of shame on both occasions (albeit years ago - I must try in again soon).

Was that where the ambulance conked out at the Rás one year?

The numbers would make your eyes water and knees ache, reckon I'd be ok for the first 400m and then a foot might have to come down or I roll backwards :D

https://veloviewer.com/segment/876936/Mamore+Gap

i suspect he did it from the southern side - 64 attempts totalling over 9,000m is about 140m per run, which matches the climb on the southern side; the northern side is over 200m in elevation.
    also, the southern side is a straight run, which means a much faster descent, which is going to be needed for a run that quick. the northern side would involve a lot more braking and cornering.

the northern side also maxes out at above 25%, i think, which would just be murder to try to repeat.

min/max elevation is 144m/275m so the numbers look good there along with the rest of the reasoning MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was that where the ambulance conked out at the Rás one year?

The numbers would make your eyes water and knees ache, reckon I'd be ok for the first 400m and then a foot might have to come down or I roll backwards :D

https://veloviewer.com/segment/876936/Mamore+Gap
    That's the 'easy' side. The other side is a different ball game. This footage from the Ras in 2017 doesn't really show how ridiculously steep it is.

Actually when I watched that it suggested a couple of a fella doing both sides on his own

Heres the northern one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpu6fYKcUI

• Advertisement

i've only ever driven up it. it's eye watering, even in the car.

or should i say 'cyar'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I did the north side on the RAI Ultra in 2018. I'm still proud of getting up it once with no walking.#Ridelikeagirl

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I love the end of that video, looks like he's about to summarise the pain, but instead just walks off for a lie down

Yeah and the car stopping to see if he was ok, and telling the driver he'd been up one side down the other and back up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Presume this is the best place for the following question...

Where can I pick up a copy of latest Rouleur and/ or Cyclist magazine?? Easons haven't restocked most of their magazines since reopening, and it's only then that I realised how hard it is to find an old fashioned newsagent in Dublin City Centre - the kind that used to actually stock a broad range of papers, magazines, journals etc.

Anyone happen to see a copy of either on sale anywhere this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Paddigol wrote: »

Where can I pick up a copy of latest Rouleur and/ or Cyclist magazine?? Easons haven't restocked most of their magazines since reopening, and it's only then that I realised how hard it is to find an old fashioned newsagent in Dublin City Centre - the kind that used to actually stock a broad range of papers, magazines, journals etc.

i love cyclist and read it on the irish library apps if you want sign up free,

for rouleur your bet again is to buy digital copy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That's the 'easy' side. The other side is a different ball game. This footage from the Ras in 2017 doesn't really show how ridiculously steep it is.

During my years on the Ras I saw an ambulance burn out its clutch trying to get up that side and also saw a team car get jammed on a hairpin trying to take it too tight. The chassis just jammed on the road as the gradient was so steep..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Paddigol wrote: »

You can order the current issue, or indeed most back issues, directly from www.rouleur.cc

Or set up a subscription - Rouleur could be at risk right now and may disappear if sales don't recover from some channel. That would be a shame, it's an excellent read.

• Advertisement

went out for a spin, legs tired, spotted this beside a skip. happy with that, it's a dawes echelon, probably late 70s, 531 frame. missing seatpost & saddle, handlebars, and left crank (i am guessing at the bottom of the skip but wasn't dedicated enough to go looking cos they'd probably have been crushed or damaged beyond repair anyway)

520439.jpg

520440.jpg

TT is 58cm, seat tube is 57cm.

Advertisement